darkrebellion

LEGO Star Wars 2008 dissapointing?

Well, to start I need to said that I love the new 2008 line-up so this is not like a thread of "hateness" to the actual line :wink: . I create this topic to see if anyone share my opinions in the next statement:

Anyone feel like this new 200 line-up is a bit dissapointing in a way that it doesn´t feel very star-warsy? I feel this line miss the spark that always characterice the SW theme. All the sets are pretty cool and well designed but for some reason I don´t like them as much as the ones of the last year (And this i not a feel against new cartoony faces or something is to the whole sets :classic: ). Maybe is cause the ships look so alike to each other that the whole thing looks so "perfect", I mean the whole line is build up of the next colors: Red, white and bley, compared to the 2007 line that has plenty of shapes and colors. Also the minifigs are very repetitive (I am not refering to the number of clones in the sets issue), the smaller sets come with just a bunch of simple looking droids and some clones and the only variety is included in the 2 biggest sets. Here I need to exclude the new 10188 Death Star which in my opinion is awesome and let get more into the CW theme. The last issue I found is that even if this is a CW year I don´t share the thoughts of the TLC of just releasing sets form the movie, I am not refering to just OT sets but also some EU and PT sets too, just take a look at the TFU line it has A LOT of potential and the TLC just release one set :hmpf_bad: . With this I finish my statement so, what do you think?

I just think that, in future years, TLC should shoot for more variety in the SW line. I mean, all we had for the 2nd half of '08 is CW stuff and the death star. That means there is one OT set, no PT, and no EU. I just don't understand how TLC excepts to appeal to a wide demographic when all they have to offer is sets based on a movie and TV show clearly designed for the younger set. Don't get me wrong, I like the sets, I just think that TLC is kind of leaving all the OT and PT fans in the dark.

However, its possible that this isn't legos fault. Lucasfilm would obviously have a say in the sets that get made (it is there license) so obviously they would want there latest endeavour publicised by lego.

I just think that, in future years, TLC should shoot for more variety in the SW line. I mean, all we had for the 2nd half of '08 is CW stuff and the death star. That means there is one OT set, no PT, and no EU. I just don't understand how TLC excepts to appeal to a wide demographic when all they have to offer is sets based on a movie and TV show clearly designed for the younger set. Don't get me wrong, I like the sets, I just think that TLC is kind of leaving all the OT and PT fans in the dark.

However, its possible that this isn't legos fault. Lucasfilm would obviously have a say in the sets that get made (it is there license) so obviously they would want there latest endeavour publicised by lego.

Amen brotha!

I see what you mean by the color thing. When comparing the V-19 to the RGS, I came to realize that the Republic ships are so... how to put this... uniform. Not that the sets themselves are cool, but having the armies be uniform in design and color kind of takes away from that unique Star Wars style. In the six SW films, there were many unique ships that really awed the audience. In CW, it was kind of modern-ified and unified into similar designs and colors, although I like the CIS sets' colors/ designs. However, I think that this is a very, very minor flaw, and these things haven't made the new sets any worse. In conclusion, I think that we shouldn't bicker about every little thing, and be grateful for TLG's hard work on these awesome sets. :thumbup:

Actually I think this has been one of the best years... and I've got the bank balance to prove it! :tongue: But I'm surprised that you don't like how the ships match; it is more believable that way. It's bad enough that the Republic seem to re-costume and re-equip every few years, if their fleet didn't look like a unified force it would be even worse.

That's what I think. It's the same story as the box design. The Hailfire droid set was even reboxed...

I think it's because past sets were based off of such memorable scenes and iconic ships and characters, like the falcon, hoth battle, the episode III space battle, etc. However, the new sets are based off ships like the magnadroid starfighter, and as soon as I saw that, I said "what is that thing?" The problem is, they're running out of ideas, and basing sets off of whatever ships they haven't done before, resulting in some sets off of scenes I don't even remember. But when they do an iconic scene, they do an amazing job (death star anyone?).

Actually the problem is that we're getting too old for it.

The new sets and the entire Clone Wars thingy is a massive blast for TLG.

I talked to the local toystore's boss and he said that the new movie and the animated tv-series make parents and children rip Star Wars off the shelves as fast as he could get new sets.

I too am mostly into the OT and why? Simply because it's what I experienced as a child.

If I was a kid in 2009, I'd probably think the Falcon was rubbish and the Droid Gunship rocks.

TLG has to make the sets the general buyer want...sadly that leaves less room for OT every day.

Personnaly I think this was one of the best LEGO Star Wars years in a long time.

Death Star and remaking RGS & ATTE...what could possibly top that? Except for the addition of the Tank and V19.

I got poor this year and probably it'll get worse next year.

I agree with everything KimT said, but I want to add one more thing.

Next summer we seem to be getting a pretty good amount of OT sets, some of which we have waited a long time for (Endor Base).

I think it's good to have a nice mix, and remember, it still has to be profitable for TLC.

However, the are still tons of possibilities for sets that we haven't seen yet. For example this ship I would love to see.

180px-Nabooroyal-NEGVV.jpg

Thanks for all the replies to everyone and I understand your point :classic::thumbup: . In my opinion the TLC have A LOT more things to release from what we have seen. For example, who doesn´t want a Rebel Medium Transport? I really want one but it is minor in the saga so here is another example, who doesn´t want a Geonosis Arena set? That for example is a BIG miss from the TLC alike the Royal Queen Ship, Solar Sailer, Ewok Village, Utapau Battle, Theed Balace, Otho Gungan, TIE Defender, Dexter Dinner, AT-OT, Jedi Temple, Coruscant Taxi, re-design Cloud Car, re-design Imperial Shuttle, re-design Jabba´s Palace, all are very important and the TLC has missed all of them :hmpf_bad: . The good news is that the next year sounds (At least from the rumors) like one of the best TLC years yet :cry_happy: .

I think that Lego knows there are lots of colectors out there, no parent wil buy his kid the UCS Death Star or Falcon.

I saved a lot of money on Star Wars lego these last years.

I also think that this was one of LEGOs best Star Wars, and other themes as well, years. The only thing I did't really care for is the lack of Clones, but luckily we get the BP in a couple of weeks. And there are alot of other sets that sound promising for the rest of next year.

I agree that the Clone Wars was a great opportunity for LEGO but I enjoy these sets regardless of my age. And I was never really into the OT anyway. So the lack of OT sets bothers me none.

So in short, my only complaint is lack of Clones.

Theed Balace

Yes, they need to do a palace ASAP - if done right they could attract sales from Castle and Town fans as well.

I mostly blame CW on Lucas. Star Wars is getting almost getting completely taken up by CW stuff. But really all I want is more OT sets. I got into Lego Star Wars a couple months ago so all I've been able to get from OT is X-Wing,Imperial Dropship, and Rebel battle pack. There really aren't any more OT sets worth buying.

The thing that dissapoints me now is that Clone wars was directed to the younger audience. So the new CW are also directed kids. But what I don't get is that if those sets are directed to children to kids, why the high prices? For me, its been a dissapointed.

I really liked all the CW books and the 2D cartoon, but the new 'movie' tipped it over the edge. :sceptic:

The clones are cool and I like having the new clones and RGS, and I see how some people are getting annoyed with it, but relax- this was fresh stuff for TLC to make (would you really want a new X-wing? Hm?), but next year we'll be getting some good OC stuff. Just wait for your turn. :tongue:

I'm not a CW fan, so, overall, I give the 2008 line up a :thumbdown: .

:hmpf_bad:

Sorry to hear that.

I'm an OT fan myself, but I still think the 2008 lineup was great.

I just love the conformity of the Republic Army.

Red and white are awesome colours for an army.

And to keep me from crying they even handed me a brand new Death Star.

Life is good :classic:

Sorry to hear that.

I'm an OT fan myself, but I still think the 2008 lineup was great.

I just love the conformity of the Republic Army.

Red and white are awesome colours for an army.

And to keep me from crying they even handed me a brand new Death Star.

Life is good :classic:

Indeed it is(Can't wait to see what 2009 holds!)

Actually the problem is that we're getting too old for it.

What a depressing thought!!

But ... I think you're right. At least in my case. For the past 10 years, I've been an obsessive Star Wars Lego fan. I've got just about every set ever made covering five shelves in my basement. Then this year ... nothing. I looked at the available SW sets, shrugged, and decided to spend my money elsewhere (City and Batman mostly). There was nothing I was interested in (except for the Death Star, but c'mon, $400??!). And what's funny is I haven't really missed it all that much. If any good OT sets come out, they'll certainly get my attention, but I no longer feel obligated to buy a set just because it has the "Star Wars" logo on the box.

I think the most disappointing thing about this year, to me at least, is that the sets didn't seem to fit in at all with the rest of our collections. Obviously OT fans are left out because it doesn't even fit in to that time period, but it kicks the PT fans out as well. You can't really combine the Republic forces over the years now, and as Sinner already mentioned, the colors would be off. But I also agree that I like the uniformity of it, at least for the Republic. I think only the Rebel forces should really show "diversity", since they aren't exactly and army of clones, droids, or a bunch of wannabes (sorry Empire.. I betray you!)

One more major problem is the new minifigure look. Of course the faces are off, but even the clones are different. I think they look much more awesome, but problem is I already bought seven or so packs of the Episode III clones :hmpf:

Finally, doesn't it feel like they've left out so many possibilities for the OT.. and I guess PT?(sorry, not a fan) I would love to have a cantina of some sort, or an Imperial Fort would be nice. Its too bad the new generation is obsessed with the Clone Wars saga, though. Lego is obviously able to take a risk by having high prices for such a theme, and even the stores notice that and refuse to make sales for Star Wars Lego. Again, someone mentioned that the Falcon would be probably seen as lame by kids.

Eh, I'm sort of glad there isn't much I'm interested in. Recently, if you've seen my post, i've had problems with keeping my Lego out of harms way. I don't need a whole lot more to keep away, so just getting what I like will be good.

Personally, 2008 was a mixed bag to me. One the one hand, the first half was relatively boring, with the Stormtrooper and Rebel battlepacks and the Jedi Starfighter being the most interesting kits. The AT-AP and Hailfire Droid Battlepack were fairly generic, and the Rogue Shadow is still one of my least favorite Starwars ships (although the figures are awesome).

One the other hand, the summer was great. The redesigns of the RGS and AT-TE are absolutely wonderful, and many of the other kits like the Droid Gunship, Republic Fighter Tank, Spider Droid, and V-19 are excellent too. In fact, the only kit I didn't like was the Twilight - everything else was great.

While I can understand being upset about the lack of PT kits, remember that the Death Star playset really makes up for that, and next year it looks like we'll be getting many other most wanted kits like an Endor playeset and a Hoth set possibly with Tauntauns. So, I think in general Starwars is doing fine. :wink:

Although, personally, I've sworn off buying any Starwars sets. It's simply too pricy for me to invest in a line that releases so many huge items each year. :wacko:

Maybe this sounds starnge :tongue: , but after building my new Comic-Con exclusive I oredered some time ago I start to re-feeling the spark of the SW theme :laugh: . Now I start to have mixed feeling about this summer wave, in one hand the sets are cool and have some great and neat features in another hand even if this is a year with lots of new ships I feel like they are very alike between them (I don´t mean the color issue) that the overall they look... well not that "different" :grin: . I am now waiting for the new wave that looks awesome (Maybe except by the RAS :hmpf_bad: ) and the summer wave rumors has very different sets in them so next year sounds A LOT better than this one in my opinion :cry_happy: .

I really liked all the CW books and the 2D cartoon, but the new 'movie' tipped it over the edge. :sceptic:

I have the same problem here... The thing is, they're trying to cram waaaaaay to much in a very small 4-year time period, so a lot of inconsistencies are bound to happen... and obviously they do...

On another side, the more I see the new show, the less and less I like it and somehow, it does reflect on what set I really want to buy and which ones I really don't care about... (mainly, all the ships that have appeared before in other media like the comics and cartoon I get and those specifically from the show, I leave). The good side of it is that it makes my wallet a little happier :tongue:

BUT, even for the sets I don't get, I have to admit that this year has been a fantastic one design wise. The sets look great and they have some excellent building twists and techniques. It's something that started in 2007 (MTT!!!) and it just keeps getting better and better. Not only for the SW sets but for every line TLG has released lately. I can't wait to see what they'll do next year.

Edited by yellost

I just wish more minifigs included with the sets this year.

About the color I think they are normal, Star Wars is mostly grey and white.

Edited by baby