WesternOutlaw

ARTICLE: Pirates 2009

On a scale of 1 to 5  

157 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the QUALITY of this article?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor
  2. 2. Overall, how well do you like the Pirates 2009 Theme?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor

What's with all the super high prices? ...I might be able to understand it if Lego was having to cut new tooling for the pieces, but the only new piece in any of these sets is that island baseplate. What's happening? Does anyone else look at the size of their newly purchased lego kit and feel a little short changed?

We have the new Island piece, all new torso prints and many new head prints, along with the printing on the hats, the new telescope and fish pieces, etc... There is a lot that went into these sets.

We have the new Island piece, all new torso prints and many new head prints, along with the printing on the hats, the new telescope and fish pieces, etc... There is a lot that went into these sets.

Ok, fine, those additions are great... but do you see any issue with Brickbeard's Bounty (592 pieces) selling for $100 when Jabba's Sail Barge (781 pieces) went for only $75-$80? Compare the two.... You can tell the sail barge even had more plastic put into it because it weighs more. So, really... is the price hike justified? I feel a little ripped off.

Ok, fine, those additions are great... but do you see any issue with Brickbeard's Bounty (592 pieces) selling for $100 when Jabba's Sail Barge (781 pieces) went for only $75-$80? Compare the two.... You can tell the sail barge even had more plastic put into it because it weighs more. So, really... is the price hike justified? I feel a little ripped off.

Well.... it seems like 2009 sets are mostly all going to be slightly overpriced, so you'd better get ready.

Well.... it seems like 2009 sets are mostly all going to be slightly overpriced, so you'd better get ready.

Slightly? ...really? I don't think 'slightly' is a very accurate term for an increase of nearly 30%.

Excellent overview Brickster! :pir-classic:

I for one, am happy that the kraken was not a large brick-built beast. :thumbup:

Those drove me nuts with the viking sets. :pir-hmpf_bad:

It's actually a realistic size for a large octopus too.

My only request for the next line of pirates right now is to have brown (or rown :imperialguard_commander1: ) carriages for the cannons. :cry_happy:

So here's my take on it... the only Pirates set I don't have yet are the ship and the fort.

This was a great article. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

I also noticed the diffiulty in putting the crocodile together, Lego molded that with clearances that're a little tighter than I'd like, but it's infinitely better than my old Islanders croc.

The redundancy on the heads for the Soldiers has gotten pretty old. I have 5 Cannon battles and 3 Arsenals so I have a lot of those heads now...

I don't see why people complain about "all" the big pieces in these sets. The big pieces are pretty much.. what, that Island baseplate, the ship hulls, the rope bridge, and the masts. How is that any different from the classic pirates sets?

Dear all,

Does anybody of the US owners of the BB have a photo of the BB side by side to the BSB and/or the SES? :pir-classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

Dear all,

Does anybody of the US owners of the BB have a photo of the BB side by side to the BSB and/or the SES? :pir-classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

That's a good request :jollyroger: I unfortunately can't answer, but I'm surprised someone hasn't done that yet.

(P.S: don't strike me down if this ahs already happened!)

Slightly? ...really? I don't think 'slightly' is a very accurate term for an increase of nearly 30%.

Well, get over it. LEGO has never been a cheap toy made in China :pir_laugh2:

your right, It's just a more expensive toy, made in 'mexico'. Nice point, genius.

your right, It's just a more expensive toy, made in 'mexico'. Nice point, genius.

Hey guys. I think we can make our points without being insultive to each other. Let's focus on this article and the new theme.

Price per piece is definately high with the new theme, but in looking at some of the other new sets (like the City Construction Site), it seems that 2009 set prices have gone up considerably.

Thank you for the article Brickster. I have just purchased my first pirate set and I plan to open it in the coming week. I never had a dark age, but didn't discover Lego until 3 years ago, so I am very excited about the new wave of pirates :pir-cry_happy: . Also, I would like to see the two ships side by side (Great Idea!). A comparative review would be interesting to see. :thumbup:

Hey guys. I think we can make our points without being insultive to each other. Let's focus on this article and the new theme.

Price per piece is definately high with the new theme, but in looking at some of the other new sets (like the City Construction Site), it seems that 2009 set prices have gone up considerably.

Thanks Brickster. Sorry about that.

I hate to complain about price, but it just seems like it's so much, so fast. As long as they don't keep chucking stickers at us I can live with how things seem expensive for a bit... Stickers are terrible, and ruin bricks. Anyhow, these pirate sets are beautiful and I (for one) want them all, but fear it's not going to be practical in the future if the trend of climbing prices with less plastic continues.

I for one don't really care for the piece per price ratio, but I can offer some ducated guesses for the new set prices:

6239: Cannon Battle: £3.99

6240: Kraken Attackin': £6.99

6241: Loot Island: £14.99

6242: Soldier's Fort: £39.99

6243: Brickbread's Bounty: £69.99

Now, just give us the sets please!

( :pir_bawling: )

Great article full of information. You've also added a graph in it which looks great :pir-classic:

Still, no pirate set spotted in Europe :pir-sceptic: But that gives me time enough to consider about what I'm gonna buy, that won't be a hard choice because I will buy everything after all. :pir_laugh2:

Again, great article. 5/5 from me :pir-wink:

On the whole "Price per piece" debate...

You have to take into consideration that there are so many new parts going into this theme, and so many other large molds.

-Telescope*

-Cannons (Definitely a change from the old ones; they don't shoot as far)

-Fire/Plumes*

-The new hull parts

-The island baseplate

On top of that, we have the return of many items whose old molds are likely unusable, such as the hats. And then all the new prints...

-ALL the torsos (* on the Shipwreck Hideout female pirate's torso)

-Brickbeard's head

-SH Female Pirate's head

-Depressed Pirate (Loot Island)* (And his legs)

-Governor's Head

-Shako and Bicorne printing

-Small Imperial and Pirate flags

-Large Flags/Sails (I guess this is what they'd go under, it's just printed plastic/canvas.)

The only set, as far as I recall, with any stickers is the Fort - now isn't that good value when you consider it?

(* = used in other lines)

~Trexxen

Edited by Trexxen

On the whole "Price per piece" debate...

You have to take into consideration that there are so many new parts going into this theme, and so many other large molds.

The original pirate line also had a lot of new parts & prints.

Like (not a 100% sure on all of these, they're from the top of my head):

New pieces (back then):

Ship bow piece (large/small)

Ship stern piece (large/small)

Ship middle section (large/small)

Many different sails

Rag wrap

Bicorne

Tricorne

Islander hair

Islander headgear accesories

Epaulettes

Shako

Gun

Pistol

Sabre/cutlass

Shark

Peg leg

Cannon

Cannon cariage

Mast (4 different parts)

Rigging (long/short)

Crow's nest/mast platform

Rowing boat

Paddles

Crocodile

Hook hand

Ship's wheel

Anchor

Compass

Backpack

Lattice windows

Canoe

Palm tree (like 5 parts (2 types of palm leaves))

New prints (back then):

Heads (major one, since it went from smiley faces to totally different prints)

Flags

Parrot

Torso's (and islander legs)

4 printed baseplates

4 wall pieces

Okay, not all where present in the "first wave" of pirates, and some where (later) used in other lines, but still a fair amount where. And no stickers on initial release (only stickers that where ever in the pirate theme where the canoe stickers I think).

Edited by Fluyt

New pirate sets are available in Paris at Jouéclub boulevard des italiens - 75002, the display is near the cashier, all sets are available except the impulse sets. Perfect surprise for all pirates fans for christmas =)

(A selection of the new city sets including 7631 are also available as well as the 2009 catalog in front of the shop)

Excellent article TheBrickster! It is the best introduction for our passover to the new Pirates. Can't wait for the release!

Just wanted to bump this up and point out that the photos in the first post are not working anymore ;(

18 hours ago, zinnn said:

Just wanted to bump this up and point out that the photos in the first post are not working anymore ;(

Then we can't rate the quality of this article as outstanding anymore! :pir-oh:

But more seriously... it's a recurring problem with older topics which have images hosted externally - the images quite often don't stay hosted in their external location indefinitely.

On 7/20/2021 at 2:40 PM, zinnn said:

Yes like Mr Phes is saying, Photos don't stay eternnally on their hosted location.

There is no need to bump old topics to mention that. Please avoid it in the future. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Yes like Mr Phes is saying, Photos don't stay eternnally on their hosted location.

There is no need to bump old topics to mention that. Please avoid it in the future. Thank you.

I wrote here because it's listed in the sticky 'LEGO Pirates Master Index' thread. To avoid new users like me bumping up old threads, maybe mods could review all posts in that sticky 'menu' topic and update them?