30 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5

• 1: Engine Failiure
    • 2: Running Low
    • 3: A Middle Of The Road Set
    • 4: So Close To The Finish Line
    • 5: The Ferrari Of All LEGO Cars

indexed.gif

Presenting the second review in my 4 part series of Adventurers reviews, 5920 Island Racer!

pog.jpg

Baron Von Barron roars down the island's roads in his roadster!

Will his car win, break down, or be beaten by his mystery opponent? Let's find out! :classic:

5290 Island Racer

5920-1.jpg

Set Info:

Set Name and Number: 5920 Island Racer

Theme: Adventurers

Released: 2000

Pieces: 44

Minifigs: 1

Price: Around $5 originally. You can currently get this set on Bricklink for about $12.

===========================================================================

Instructions:

The instructions are a small fold-out page. On the front is a picture of the car driving down a rocky road.

review_2_001.jpg

Inside, the paper has sort of a treasure map print on it.

review_2_002.jpg

The back has a little comic with alternate models pictured.

review_2_003.jpg

The Minifig:

Here is the Baron himself! I really like this minifigure, as it has nice white epaulettes, a lovely hook hand and a head complete with moustache, scar and a monacle.

review_2_004.jpg

Parts:

A decent selection here, the red rounded piece is very interesting, that dark grey car front is nice and the wheels have a nice design.

review_2_005.jpg

Complete Car:

This is what you get when the car is all built. I really like the way the rounded dark grey pieces look when put together. In the front is a nice engine, made by sticking grey tap pieces in headlight bricks. One thing that's a bit strange is that the large red plate sticks out 1 stud on each side, the overall look though is very nice.

review_2_006.jpg

The front piece is great in that spot.

review_2_007.jpg

Here you can see the engine pretty well. I think it looks great for such a simple design.

review_2_008.jpg

I think that the backside is a bit odd. That handle seems a bit large and I think some tail lights might have been nice.

review_2_009.jpg

review_2_010.jpg

And everything together!

review_2_011.jpg

Now for the all-important ratings!

Price: 9/10 (I can't rate this completely accurately, but the current Bricklink prices are fair, so I'm sure the original price was pretty good.)

Pieces: 7/10 (Nothing too special, but still decent.)

Design: 8/10 (It looks quite nice for the small amount of pieces it has, especially the engine.)

Playability: 8/10 (No special gimmicks like everyone's favorite "Flick-Fire Missle" :tongue: , but it's always fun to roll cars around.)

Build: 9/10 (Quick but solidly built.)

Minifig 10/10 (A really great minifig for a small set.)

Overall: 51/60

Bricklink

Brickset

Start your engines! Baron von Barron has finally found an opponent worthy of racing him. It's none other than our favorite underwater character!

"Who drives in a leafy car on all the roads?"

review_2_012.jpg

=======================================================================

Overall, I think that this is a very nice small set. It has a great minifig, a prettty good car design and good colors.

I would certainly recommend it for a small Adventurers set.

Stay tuned for part 3, 5925 Pontoon Plane!

5925-1.jpg

Thanks and happy building!

Edited by Erdbeereis1
This review is added to the index.

That must have been fun! :grin:

Do you happen to remember how much they costed so I can add the price to the review?

That must have been fun! :grin:

Do you happen to remember how much they costed so I can add the price to the review?

It was. Not sure, but my best guess is $4.99.

It was. Not sure, but my best guess is $4.99.

That seems correct as Lugnet/Peeron lists it as $5 USD.

Taking in the supposed MSRP of this set, I rate it a 5. A ground vehicle is always enjoyable, IMO, and the four rubber wheels come in handy in many occasions. Not to mention, it also looks attractive once completed. The minifigure/accessories are nice for a $5 set, and the instruction even come with alternative models!

Edited by dj2005

I'll put the $5 in as the price alongside what's already there. Thanks ExoBuilder. :classic:

Good to hear most people like this set. Although not perfect, I think it's a lovely small set.

Erdy, very good review indeed! I love this red hot rod, and it looks real awesome and cool looking. I will defintely want to get this set. Most important of all, I want to get this cool minifig below, which resemble one of Brickster's sigfig. However, mine is not the complete version. I will love to place this hot rod beside the Scorpion Tracker. Nice job, once again! :thumbup:

review_2_004.jpg

By the way, Erdy. You are the first review whom I have learn how to index so far. :tongue:

By the way, Erdy. You are the first review whom I have learn how to index so far. :tongue:

I'm honored! :grin:

I really love that minifig. He just seems like an evil rich guy, which is what he is I suppose. :tongue:

I love this set and I bought it when it was first released, no regrets there.

I tried swapping the 4x12 plate for a 2x12, it looked all right (without the ridge sticking out) but in the end the 4x12 was giving the car more of an complete looking structure so I did not mess with it anymore... :classic:

Thanks for the review!