Svelte

Brickbeard the Felonious Fishmonger!

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 43d

Brickbeard the Felonious Fishmonger!

There's a new taste sensation in town. Everyone from the Lord Admiral to the Governor's wife is queuing up to buy delicious seafood treats from Brickbeard the Fishmonger. Gold bars, jewels - no price is too high to pay for Brickbeard's delicious aquatic bounty! The most prized dish? A rare and special caviar, the flavour of which is unsurpassed in its salty, juicy bliss! Rumour has it that Brickbeard's background is less than honest - some even whisper he was once a Pirate Captain! - but who cares where he comes from as long as he keeps on dishing up that addictive caviar!

Meanwhile, locked in the tower high above Brickbeard's glitzy storefront, a lone mermaid sits weeping. Captured by Brickbeard and kept confined in a bathtub, the poor mermaid is forced to hatch fresh spawn on a daily basis to satisfy Brickbeard's demands. Each morning the cad collects her produce and takes it downstairs to be sold off as none other than his famous caviar!

What can the mermaid do? Will she ever escape? Or is she doomed to die, locked in the tower, sucked dry by Brickbeard's greed, her bones to be eventually dumped under the dock like the former Pirate Captain's previous captives?

Overview:

1-overviewshot-withborder.jpg

Front-on perspective of the mermaid's tower:

alternate-towerdetail.jpg

The pushy Governor's wife shoves the Lord Admiral aside to grab that sweet, sweet caviar:

3-detail-pushywoman2.jpg

On the seabed, a variety of strange life grows... and in an abandoned crate you can just glimpse the remains of one of Brickbeard's previous victims:

4-detail-seabed.jpg

The mermaid in her bathtub:

alternate-caviarproduction.jpg

Back view of Brickbeard's shop. Among his other prizes is a gleaming pearl in a clamshell:

6-backview.jpg

Edited by SlyOwl

Hah! :pir_laugh2:

Now that's what I call a hilarious and creative entry! You made a really good story, which I enjoyed reading a lot. The color scheme of the building is great and I love all of the details you've included, like the octopus and the fish on the walls. Those skeleton arms work nicely as well.

The little pedastle where the caviar sits is beautiful with the gold, that new spyglass piece is extremely useful isn't it?

You did a great job with the water area. especially with the crystal skull coral, that's just brilliant. Good usage of the new minifigs and pieces, I just got some of the new impulse sets at TRU today and they are absolutely fantastic! I really hope that this line continues for a long while.

Improvements you could make:

I honestly can't think of anything you could improve here. Your entry is just fantastic, tons of great humor, cruelty in a different way besides blood and just lovely design. The only thing you could possibly do would be to add a skeleton head in the water, but it's probably not worth it.

Stunning work, and I must say, probably my favorite small enrtry up to this point!

Good luck, but I don't think you'll be needing it! :monkey:

I positively love it!

At first glance I thought, "where's the cruelty?" Then I read your story and it is definitely cruel to the max and twisted in a whole new way! People eating caviar from a mermaid! Disgusting!!! Hahahaha!!!!!

Great use of colors paired with a great design. The seabed looks awesome! It adds so much color and life to your entry. The character expressions really fit well.

Your use of the new Pirate line pieces looks fabulous and makes me so jealous that I don't have them yet!

Give us more! I think you should do a larger entry showing an entire restaurant including a full kitchen ran by Brickbeard's unsavory Pirate crew and call it "Brickbeard's Buffet!" lol :pir-classic:

Great job!

GORF :jollyroger:

I love the story and the overall moc. The governor's wife is brilliant! I love how good the torso and the dress part match!

that's a really nice entry you did ^^ and funny ! I like it a lot, you put a lot of cool details and your bathtub is cool!

I wish you the best for the contest^^

My opinion:

This is a marvelous entry, svelte-corps, I like it a lot because it shows so much unique aspects! The mermaid tower looks very fine and finished, the sea beneath is done equally good and the octopus hanging on the wall is not only original but it is a fantastic addition as well :thumbup: !

Your story is so cruel and gruesome (caviar from a mermaid... :pir-sick: jikes!)

And then I didn't even say anything about the usage of the new minifigs, sadly no additional points should be given for using those, since most people can't even buy them yet in their country, but I most certainly will give you good points for using the correct minifigs, heads and facial expressions!

Possible improvements:

1) I would add some caviar into the mermaids badtup, showing it is her who produces it.

2) You could possibly add some tiles to the floor, but that is only a MINOR point!

3) Perhaps you could add some gold/treasure/diamonds/... somewhere into your MOC to show Brickbeard was a pirate before, or to show how much he makes from that delicious, expensive caviar!

Non-brick related advise:

1) Some small spelling errors: eg. "and in abandoned crate" should be "and in an abandoned crate"

2) I really am doubting...would an improved (showing more) third picture be better then the first one showing all or not? As you know it is the first one that will be judged...

Thanks for all your kind comments, guys.

Give us more! I think you should do a larger entry showing an entire restaurant including a full kitchen ran by Brickbeard's unsavory Pirate crew and call it "Brickbeard's Buffet!" lol :pir-classic:

Hahaha, that's a great idea! Maybe I will do a larger MOC in the future but I don't think I have time now for the contest - I only decided to enter at all last week after getting some of the new sets - my first Pirates ones! :pir-classic:

Possible improvements:

1) I would add some caviar into the mermaids badtup, showing it is her who produces it.

2) You could possibly add some tiles to the floor, but that is only a MINOR point!

3) Perhaps you could add some gold/treasure/diamonds/... somewhere into your MOC to show Brickbeard was a pirate before, or to show how much he makes from that delicious, expensive caviar!

Non-brick related advise:

1) Some small spelling errors: eg. "and in abandoned crate" should be "and in an abandoned crate"

2) I really am doubting...would an improved (showing more) third picture be better then the first one showing all or not? As you know it is the first one that will be judged...

Many thanks for your detailed feedback, zorro3999.

1) An excellent idea! I will incorporate this shortly and update the pics

2) I left the studs in to give the wooden planks a bit of texture - I also like a bit of studwork too. What is Lego without studs after all?

3) I like to think Brickbeard spent all his booty on wine, women and song - that's why he's reduced to abducting and imprisoning innocent mermaids! And now he squirrels his profits away in the bank like a responsible pirate! :pir_laugh2: I did think of treasure, but in the end the MOC felt too crowded... it is hard to strike the right balance, especially with an 8x8 size creation (and this is the first one I've done!)

Grammatical error noted and I will update the pics.

Edited by svelte_corps

That's a great idea with having some "caviar" in the bathtub. :thumbup:

I think the studs look fine, they add a bit of texture like you said.

First of all the stairs were ok but you cnt get to ground floor on them. Second of all how does the spwan get to readbeard. I like how the sea creatures are hanging on the wall. I couldnt really tell what the transparent things on the sea floor were though. ill give it a 2 or 3.

You wildly fortunate that you have set a series of "Pirates" in 2009, I hope you have collected sets back, and then - still a rarity, after all. :pir-devil: At the expense of work - very nice, especially water made of a transparent blue bricks, but in my opinion - would be worth making another "leg", which would have supported the tower, but it is very brittle, it looks like a statuette. Just want to hint at the original home-and your undoubted talent designer. :thumbup: Good luck! :pir-wink:

Thanks for your feedback, Evil_Wizard.

I see what you mean about the supporting leg, but it would block too much of the seabed in pics - that's why I left it off. It's such a tall and skinny MOC that I think it suits that it looks a bit delicate - after all, Brickbeard's business model (farming mermaids) is built on flimsy foundations itself! What happens when he runs out of mermaids? :pir_laugh2:

I am lucky to have the new sets, but without them I would not have entered the contest, as I don't have any of the classic sets. Shameful I know :pir-cry_sad:

Opinion

The idea you have and how you created it is very well done. One thing that I noticed is that you have included the Kraken from one of the new pirate sets. Brickbeard's building is great and how you added those skeleton arms for decoration is really something. The bathtub you have made for the Mermaid is interesting. One of my favorite parts is below Brickbeard's shop, the water. I like how you have the previous Mermaid in the little crate with sea life growing around her.

Possible Improvements

1) On the sea floor, you could possibly add some spilled gold on the sea bed.

Overall- Well, you have a great small PTV entry here. I like how Brickbeard makes his caviar by using the Mermaid. I think there is nothing you have to fix, but only to add some things if you would like it to look better. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

Thanks for the update, svelte_corps, now your MOC could really be a winner, in this division it is one of my favourites anyway!

I wish you the best of luck in the voting round.