Captain Zuloo

Which is mightier - Black Seas Barracuda OR Brickbeard's Bounty?

Who would win out of these two equaly matched ships?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship would come out on top?

• Black Seas Barracuda
    • Brickbeard's Bounty

poll.gif

These two fairly evenly matched ships, two cannons in the broadside, same amount of hull sections, same colour sails. Which ship would come out on top in a sea battle? The ledgendary Black Seas Barracuda, or the new 2009 ship, Brickbeard's Bounty? Vote, then tell us why you voted what you did!

barracuda.jpg

6285 Black Seas Barracuda

a-boxfront.jpg

6243 Brickbeard's Bounty

They are quite similar, but with all it's pearl-gold pieces, improved shark and hull parts, and awesome minifigs, Brickbeard's Bounty is definitely the better of the two! :pir-wub:

Are we talking about in a fight or in overall set design? Either way I think I have to give the edge to the BSB. That was such an amazing set. There are more crew members, more cannons, and an overall better design, especially the cabin... I love the cabin design on the BSB.

The new one would be able to fire with more cannons at once against the BSB but the BSB just looks like a realistic pirate ship...the new one looks like it was made for 5 year-olds. So I'm giving extra points to the BSB for fear factor so in my book that one wins.

I voted Brickbeard's Bounty! Woo!

BSB has better rigging but the colours don't hold up.

A lot of the criticisms of BB I don't see (such as cannons not being high enough) as they look similar in the pics above. Similarly I don't see how the sails are that different to the BSB to deserve the 'juniorisation' tag.

BSB for the win ! 4 canons , and a little better look I think , I also prefer it because.. that's the best! :P

Similarly I don't see how the sails are that different to the BSB to deserve the 'juniorisation' tag.

It's the big skull. Just makes it look more cartoony. Compare it with 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner and you'll see what we mean as far as skull scare factor.

I personally voted for the BSB, but then I havn't got the BB, so I couldn't say for sure. However, I think that the BSB is a ledgend that will never be topped, and that's just the way it is.

The Black Seas Barracuda looks more authentic and realistic, except for the coloring (which is understandable considering the production of bricks at that time), but I've always been more into fantasy and luxury, and Brickbeard's Bounty captures that feeling of adventure much better. There's really a story going on behind it.

Also, there might be more minifigs in BSB, but they can't compete with the variety and the quality of the new ones.

So my vote is for Brickbeard's Bounty, all the way! :wink:

BSB. It looks like a LEGO SYSTEM ship, the new ship looks more like the 4+ ship, not very details, not a nice shape and the sails are ugly with those skulls. The older generation ships with skulls (SES, RBR for example) had skulls wich looked nicer, more like real skulls. Those new skulls looks very <insert that tiresome argument>, like they come from a toy ship for childs under 4 years.

Just makes it look more cartoony.

That are the words I was looking for.

Edited by Richie

BSB. It looks like a LEGO SYSTEM ship, the new ship looks more like the 4+ ship, not very details, not a nice shape and the sails are ugly with those skulls. The older generation ships with skulls (SES, RBR for example) had skulls which looked nicer, more like real skulls. Those new skulls looks very <insert that tiresome argument>, like they come from a toy ship for children under 4 years.

Just because the skulls have angry eyebrows?? :pir-hmpf_bad: I admit that the old jolly roger looked more authentic, but the new ones aren't that bad IMHO. :pir-sad2:

BSB for it's sail holder and anchor.

BB for new design pirates minifigs.

i myself vote for BSB, since i have 3 BSBs and no BB yet. :laugh:

Edited by djo

I´m a realy lover of old Legos, and I love the BSB, it's beautiful, but I was very happy and surprised, when the Lego announce the new sets of the Pirates theme, because, they evolve the theme but don't run from the original context of the theme (unlike who happens in the Castle :pir-angry: ), you understand, new sets but based in the olds. So my conclusion, is that, the new pirate ship are very good to, as the olds on. The better is take the two, I don't have no preferences, and certanly I will by the new, and the old if I can. :pir_laugh2:

BSB all the way!

This was the first pirate ship TLG made and it's still the best.

If you consider the types of bricks and colors available at the time, the BSB is still better designed than the BB.

I definitely like the BB much better than the Cross-Bone Clipper or Red Beard Runner.

The reason there are different types of figs in the first place was because of the original pirate series (which include the BSB) which had all new torsos and faces from the traditional smiley.

I love both ships, but in modern times I have to give the edge to Brickbeard's Bounty. The latest Pirate ship has far better colors, better figures, and better animals and acessories. However, I can say that the BSB wins over the BB in cannon ammount and deck design. I just like Brickbeard's ship better now - mainly because the colors of the Baracuda look very cheesy compared to the more subduded scheme of Brickbeard's Bounty. :pir-wink:

Who cares though - if you're a die hard pirate fan, you should own both! :pir-tongue:

Hmm..Difficult choice..But I think the BSB would win :pir-tongue:

BSB easily (both design-wise, and in a fight), any of "the big 3" can, all have more pirates, BSB 2 gun broadside, SES 4 gun broadside, RBR, 3 gun broadside (4 if you add another cannon). The new pirate ship could have a 3 gun broadside (if you count the cannon on the rear deck), but the 2 on the lower deck are kinda useless on long range, since they will shoot in the water (judging from the pics) and the rear one seems awkward. The new ship might be more maneuverable (if you count sails/lenght of ship) than BSB or RBR, but if it comes to firepower of manpower, the new ship doesn't stand a chance.

So,

new ship pro's: manuevarability/speed, the firepower is debatable, since the cannons are not that usefull

BSB pro's: firepower, manpower, doesn't have skull&crossbones on sails, has a rowingboat (for the pirates)

New ship seems generally a lot more <insert that tiresome argument> (some aspects even 4+ like).

Edited by Fluyt

Though I'm still not entirely certain which I like better/think is mightier, I cast my vote for Brickbeard's Bounty--partly in reaction. I agree that the skulls on the sails are rather cartoonish, but to say that the ship itself looks like a 4+ Pirates set . . . that confuses me. I love the detail of the ship, as well as the subdued, more realistic color scheme. I am aware that those colors weren't around when the BSB was made, but that doesn't affect how good the BB's color scheme is.

I like them both but I think BBB is slightly better with the new parts. BSB is good though too because it has better sharks the new ones are meh. BBB, BSB I am so confused :pir-laugh: .

i never thought there'd be a better ship than the BSB, but it happened now. Though there are many things i like about the BSB (like the storage spaces on the deck with red windows, or the rigging and not last the piece count) i am much more pleased with the BBB's overall look, figs and little things like the table in the cabin, and of course all the neart new peaces and gold! :pir-wub:

I love both ships, but in modern times I have to give the edge to Brickbeard's Bounty. The latest Pirate ship has far better colors, better figures, and better animals and acessories. However, I can say that the BSB wins over the BB in cannon ammount and deck design. I just like Brickbeard's ship better now - mainly because the colors of the Baracuda look very cheesy compared to the more subduded scheme of Brickbeard's Bounty. :pir-wink:

Who cares though - if you're a die hard pirate fan, you should own both! :pir-tongue:

I have to disagree with the colorscheme bit.

BSB: Black paint with white stripe and gold/yellow trims.

BB: Brown with tan tripe, as well as black, red, and pearl gold... "accents" if that's what they can be called.

BSB owns the obomonation that is Brickbeard's Bounty.

I have to disagree with the colorscheme bit.

BSB: Black paint with white stripe and gold/yellow trims.

BB: Brown with tan tripe, as well as black, red, and pearl gold... "accents" if that's what they can be called.

Amen. :pir_laugh2:

I think the BB is better than the BSB,let me count the ways. . . . . . . . . .

1.The BB has THREE cannons,plus they fire :pir-tongue: ,the BSBs do not(At least I think.)

2.The BB has a heap of gold(Plus the Treasure chest is Treasure itself! :pir-tongue: )

3.The BBs Figurehead is a full fig,plus its new!

4.The BBs flags have Skull and crossbones on them.

5.The BB has Imps(Not SW! :pir-tongue: ).

6.New Body prints!And printed on the back!

7.The BB has a Banana for the monkey!So HA! :pir-tongue:

I think the BB is better than the BSB,let me count the ways. . . . . . . . . .

1.The BB has THREE cannons,plus they fire :pir-tongue: ,the BSBs do not(At least I think.)

The BSB has 4 cannons, and depending on when and where you bought the set, has the dark gray shooting cannons.

I think everyone here can agree the skull and crossbones is a con for the new ship. :pir-classic:

Amen. :pir_laugh2:

Amen²

BSB has FOUR cannons, and they do fire :pir-wink: and skull and crossbones and sails are a big downside, they're the main reason this ship looks allmost 4+like :thumbdown:, not a smart thing to have on your sails as a pirate (especially if they're not badass skull and crossbones like on the SES, RBR or RR).

The only thing I agree with is the awesome new minifigs, it's only thing that is better than (most of) the old pirates, only I'm not sure if they fit in together.

Edited by Fluyt

I've voted for BSB. I've got such a feeling that BSB would outmaneuver Brickbeards Bounty and send it to the bottom of the sea with its four cannons.