5150 Lego

REVIEW: 7635 4WD and Horse Trailer

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

We'll since the pictures became public a few hours ago i have recieved several Pm's asking about doing a review for this little set. So without further adue...... may i present to you.... the new 4WD horse and trailer set! Lets get started!

I've been asked by several people how i got this. No secret. Just went to my local TRU acctually looking for a small Winie -the- Pooh bear for my little niece and of course i had to check the lego section. Low and behold look what i found! Orginally this, along with all of the new 09 sets were thought to be coming out in early 09, but it looks like TLC decided on an early realse date. They also had a couple new racer sets, but this one grabbed my interest the most. Anyways, on with the review!

Set# :7635

Name: 4WD with Horse Trailer

# of pieces:176

Price: $24.99 USD

First the box..

7635_lego_4wd_001.jpg

Nice back ground art work of the set as a whole. Notice the the limited edtion at the bottom right corner. I'm guessing that it means it will be limited to TRU for the rest of 08 and first half of 09'.

Next the instruction manual.

7635_lego_4wd_002.jpg

Nothing specail, just like any other manual. Sorry, i forgot to take a picture of a random page. :sceptic: .

Next the figures, horse and accesories...

7635_lego_4wd_008.jpg

We get two figures, a driver/trainer, horse rider, horse, sadle and jumping fence.

I really like the torso of the trainer. Nice blue flanel type shirt. I'm sure its nothing new, but i don't have anything like it in my town, so it was a nice addtion! The torso on the female rider is nothing new. I believe its the same rider torso and hard hat that we've had for years, but its always nice to have another female face. The horse is also nothing new. Here its pictured with the sadle on, but it also come with a brown 1x2 brick with a flate plate to fill the horses back when the sadle is removed. Sorry,no pic, but its the same as nearly every horse TLC has realsed in the last two decades.

We also have a fence that the horse can jump. Notice the feet that the fence mount on. More on that later.

Now on to the 4x4...

7635_lego_4wd_013.jpg

This is one of the best SUV's that TLC has made! I can defenatly see this being madeinto a full expedtion type vehicle,or even police/fire chief truck. Great detail all around. I love the detail in the front with the head lamps and foglamps.

7635_lego_4wd_015.jpg

The design of the roof rack is great. You could easily attach tools to it, as well as roof mounted lights.

7635_lego_4wd_016.jpg

The rear has a nice clean design. using an old school slanted 4 wide wind shield as a back glass. You can also see the new trailer hitch reciever. I like this design better since it allows more articulation between the tow vehicle and trailer.

There's also plenty of room inside...

7635_lego_4wd_017.jpg

The bad part about this 4x4 is that the rear of it doesn't open. Thats a shame cause it would have made loading and unloading cargo alot more enjoyable. Also notice that the real portion of the roof or the "roof rack' section is held on by a full lenth of studs. This makes removing the roof for cargo or our cute little rider alot more diffacult.

But as you can see, the good news is that you can fit a second mini fig back there...

7635_lego_4wd_017.jpg

You'll also notice there is no seat in the back. this is because a mini fig would be to tall sitting on a seat for the roof to close. personally, i would have rather TLC rasied the roof by one plate and added a rear seat. No biggie. Nothing a little modding couldn't fix!

Now on to the trailer....

7635_lego_4wd_020.jpg

I like the color sceam. Nice arrow dynamic shape in the front, with the "ranch" horse logo to mach the 4x4.

The rear loading ramp also has nice details with a brake/tail lights and amber turn signals. Also we have some caution plates. Sadly, these are stickers, and not printed pieces. Also note the loading lamp at the top rear of the trailer.

A shot inside the trailer...

7635_lego_4wd_023.jpg

Only room for one horse. He will fit inside either way.

Here's a shot with our trusty stead loaded up ready to go...

7635_lego_4wd_024.jpg

7635_lego_4wd_025.jpg

Now remember the jumping fence?

7635_lego_4wd_026.jpg

Notice the feet its attaced to. Well if you turn the feet horazontaly, you have enough room to slide it inside the trailer, even with the horse inside.

7635_lego_4wd_030.jpg

Hitched up, ready to go!

7635_lego_4wd_031.jpg

7635_lego_4wd_034.jpg

So lets go over everything...

Pro's- :thumbup:

-Great design (espeacaily the 4x4)

- nice color sceam,

-great playabiltiy

-nice change to the comon police, fire and construction sets

Con's- :thumbdown:

- Can't open the rear hatch of the 4x4

- at $24.99 USD, its a little pricey

Overall, i really like this set. This would look great in any town layout! Great way to start off the 09' sets! With this one being out so early, this leaves me to believe that the reat of the 09' sets shouldn't be to far away!

Wow! Great review 5150L. I love it. This is a terrific set, and a very nice review. Thanks for the early pictures. And to think, you went looking for a Pooh.

I really like the color combination of the black, red, and white. The 4WD looks nice with the numerous windows. The horse trailer is equally impressive. I also love the fact that the set includes a small western fence, and in white.

Thanks for the outstanding review!

Thank you Brickster! My pleasure! :classic: And did i meantion i didn't even find the Pooh Bear i was looking for? Oh well. Ithink i made out with somthing alittle better. :tongue: At least for me. :wink: (Although i have to admit, i was dispapointed i wasn't able to find a decent stuffed Pooh Bear :blush: )

Thanks for the great review of this set. It's very nice to see that big 90 degree curved pieve back. Surprisingly roomy 4WD too! I'm wishing I lived in the USA right about now... :cry_sad:

Great review! ...I'm a bit torn on the set though. It seems to have a ton of stickers and a hefty price tag. $25 is steep! what happened to there being 10 pieces per every dollar?...

Wow, thanks for the review. I wasn't expecting this set so soon. This is one of the City sets I've been highly anxious to obtain. This is both unfortunate and fortunate at the same time. While I can't wait for the '09 sets, I am still trying to finish up my '08 wishlist. Thanks for the detailed review, price aside, this seems like a well rounded set!

Great review! I really enjoyed reading and looking at the pics, although I think you accidently uploaded one and the same pic twice :tongue:

Great review! ...I'm a bit torn on the set though. It seems to have a ton of stickers and a hefty price tag. $25 is steep! what happened to there being 10 pieces per every dollar?...

Make that double. Actually I was shocked to see a price that high for this set. I´m one of those Germans that still calculates in DM. Considering that $25 with the correct conversion rate would be 17 Euros but with TLCs price policy rather 25 Euros, that would be 50 DM for this set. Back in the 80ies I would buy a set like 6940 Alien Moon Stalker for 50 DM, not a small one like this SUV.

It´s nice TLC is giving us a lot of new sets and ideas and so on, but honestly, no AFOLs wallet is a fountain of neverending money.

Awesome review! :thumbup: Thanks for doing this review so much. I wanted to see this set badly, as this is one of my "must get" set for CITY 09.

This is one of the nicest SUV ever created. I love it very much. The last time we ever saw this set similar like this design, is this 6359 Horse Trailer. By the way, I never knew the black rider is a female. More female minifigs are more than welcomed. I wished I could get my hands on this set soon. :hmpf:

6359-1.jpg

stranger, I'm pretty certain the fence is a standard fence, with jumper plates underneath for stability. aside from minifigs, it's almost unheard of for Lego to make movable pieces (ie bits that don't detach but move). Note how in the pic inside the van the jumper plates are twisted round through 90.

I wonder what this "Modular Build, Easy Start" sign on the box means. Where is this set modular?

Soooo.... how many figures can you fit into this off-roading bad boy? :classic: Cheers for the review! LEGO's been pretty spot on with the scale of their sets recently.

Thanks for the review! I'll definitely be buying atleast one of these. The figs are great, and I want that gate piece, and the trailer has cool big white pieces. The four wheel drive is great, I love the colour scheme, as well as the windows. The main reason though will be the black hat, orange hair and tuxedo.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

thanks for this nice review! I really like this 4wd too, it have a really cool design!!

the only cons I see in this review is the size of the pictures ^^ I think you could reduce them to 800x600 but that's ok for me^^

Great review and a nice set. The 4x4 looks like the classic english 4x4: Range Rover or Landrover.

The price is not so good. I think 20$ are enough for this. I hope this set will be available in germany for max. 15€.

Edited by Big Supie

Thanks for that fine review of a really nice set, 5150 Lego! :thumbup:

That off-roader looks well detailed and really neat, and so does the trailer... although I simply don´t understand

why there´s no back hatch that works... that would´ve increased playability so much... just a matter of costs, huh?

And don´t let me start about TLC´s mysterious car door politic... :cannon:

This reminds me of the long-lost Paradisa line, just not in the traditional pink.

For example:

6405-1.1121437297.thumb2.jpg

Clearly, this is a much nicer 4x4 design, and the white fence will be much handier. That Paradisa set was $16 for 126pcs in 1992, so this is a bit steep, but not totally out of line.

It's good to see a return to this kind of set. No uniforms, no traditional workers, just people living their lives. That's something we've been missing for far too long.

Good job, LEGO, and nice review 5150! :thumbup:

Nice review! Thanks!

When I first saw this in sneak peeks, my initial thought was...MOCing the SUV into a suitable vehicle for Black Mask (darken the windows, maybe add a canon, etc.).

The price does seem kinda steep though. I figured closer to around $13.-$16., but absolutely no more than $19.99!

Thanks for the review of such a new item!

This car is definitely a good and funny one :thumbup: , but really too pricey at the same time... :cry_sad:

:cry_happy::cry_sad: I'll have to wait, at least, until march...

Thanks for this great review, anyway! :thumbup::tongue:

Edited by BlueBard

$25 is steep! what happened to there being 10 pieces per every dollar?...

I think those days are over. The price hikes in the Pirate line are leaking over into the City line too, it seems. I wonder what the new licensed sets are going to cost in '09 ... yikes.

Great review for a very nice set. The SUV is enormous, but not outrageously so since SUVs are generally pretty enormous in real life too!

Thanks for the review! Love the SUV.

Add my vote to the list of those who are calling this set WAY overpriced. This strikes me as a $14.99 set for sure. $25??? That's just ridiculous.

Thanks so much for this review. I totally can't wait for this set... :cry_happy:

Is it available in every Toys-R-Us everywhere?

Thanks.

Dr. Brick