169 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor

great review.

i must admit that this ship really answer all LEGO fans want long long time ago.

great start for new line pirates.

hope to see more bigger and great ship after this set.

great new hull design,very clever.

i'm a little dissapointed at the way TLC use black hoses for holding the sails. just my two cents.

b-goldmine.jpg

You have a tremendous sense of humor! :thumbup: Thanks for your review, the truth would background on the picture more monotonous and a little bit different perspective when you filmed the inside of the cabin, as well - a very good review! :pir-classic: Have a question - a comic inside was not a coincidence? :pir-sceptic: And what they think at all sets a series of "Pirates"! Thank you once again, it was interesting to read, but I hope you will improve their ability to write reviews. :pir-sweet:

Edited by Evil Wizard

Thanks for the awesome review, svelte. :thumbup:

Well, I have to say that, from looking at these pictures, Brickbeards Bounty is amazing. The design is very nice and detailed, the color scheme is far less cheesy than previous ships, and the figures and acessories are amazing. :pir-sweet: I wish they had included four cannons instead of three, but I can see how that will be easily fixed. There's only two real flaws to this beauty, in my opinion:

1 - The deck is too low. Older lego pirate ships had a higher deck and a far more complex construction down in the middle area, and I wish Brickbeard's Bounty did as well.

2 - The masts look fairly unstable. Svelte, can you tell us if they are unsteady or not? I'd really like to know.

Regardless, I'm so glad that Pirates is finally back in full force, and I hope that next year I can get this beauty. Thumbs up to TLC for bringing back the theme and not messing it up! :thumbup:

I assume it's because we still followed the UK in a lot of things, being a colonial country and all. This set was produced for the North American market so they do have inches marked on the box as well! As for things you didn't know about Australians... we also drive on the wrong side of the road, everybody has a pet kangaroo at home and Russell Crowe is our current President! :pir_laugh2: (Kidding.)

Yes... Dance of the Brick... it describes the graceful leap into the air one makes when stepping on a sharp, upturned brick. It is usually accompanied by a sweet, short yelp of pain.

Duh doesnt everyone have a pet 'roo? :imperialguard_commander1::pir-tongue:

You forgot some stuff....all kangaroos jump on the highway, Russle Crowe is our prime minister [get your facts straight :pir_laugh2: ] :pir-tongue:

Ermm anyway... :pir-laugh::pir-look:

Dance of The Brick eh? :pir-grin: ....sounds....interesting. :pir-grin:

Once again Svelte gets the first [& best] review! :pir_yoda::pir_laugh2:

i'm a little dissapointed at the way TLC use black hoses for holding the sails. just my two cents.

Having looked at the great older ships, I know what you mean but I think this is probably due to (a) cost (b) keeping complexity of the build down to the 6 year minimum age group. I find Lego's string entanglements irritating and confusing sometimes and I'm 30+! So I can imagine they wanted something kid-friendly and easy to assemble.

Have a question - a comic inside was not a coincidence?

There was a comic inside, split between different sections of the book like the other sets - a great idea to keep you interested during the build. I didn't photograph it for this review because I hate spoilers and hope people enjoy the comic in the instructions as is - a little surprise! :pir-tongue:

2 - The masts look fairly unstable. Svelte, can you tell us if they are unsteady or not? I'd really like to know.

The masts are VERY stable, as is the whole ship. I as pleasantly surprised as I find the Viking Ship and Troll warship prone to break up. The long mast specialty pieces sit on 2 x long black 2x10 column pieces. The 4x28 boat rigging piece clips onto the crow's nest of each large mast and then on the boat sides (next to the cannon bays) attached via these sturdy technic pins (a la Durmstrang):

47994.1136165625.jpg

Having had it and played with it for a few days, the only flimsy bits of construction are the rudder (I suspect a parts issue though), the potentially shaky figurehead, and the front-most sail, which probably needs another short technic piece to hold it onto the hose.

Can those end pieces be stacked on top of one another and still look seamless?

I imagine so. It looks that way but I'm not disassembling it yet to find out for sure! Each of the top hull pieces is 3 bricks high which may make the hull too high though, depending on your needs.\

You forgot some stuff....all kangaroos jump on the highway, Russle Crowe is our prime minister [get your facts straight :pir_laugh2: ] :pir-tongue:

Sheesh, Darth_Legois! Russell Crowe *is* our President - Cate Blanchett is our Prime Minister :imperialguard_commander1: Don't try and confuse the good people of Eurobricks with your misinformation!

Edited by svelte_corps

Great review. I'm really loving this set, along with all the other Pirate sets...

comehereoften.jpg

I am so making a 'what do you do with a drunken pirate' MOC once I get my hands on this. :pir_laugh2:

great review of what seems to be a great ship!

i do think, however, that the hull is a bit small, they should have added an extra hull section in the middle. it seems to me that the deck is a bit crowded now. a little bit more space for all the stuff at the deck would have been better...

The masts are VERY stable, as is the whole ship. I as pleasantly surprised as I find the Viking Ship and Troll warship prone to break up. The long mast specialty pieces sit on 2 x long black 2x10 column pieces. The 4x28 boat rigging piece clips onto the crow's nest of each large mast and then on the boat sides (next to the cannon bays) attached via these sturdy technic pins (a la Durmstrang):

47994.1136165625.jpg

Having had it and played with it for a few days, the only flimsy bits of construction are the rudder (I suspect a parts issue though), the potentially shaky figurehead, and the front-most sail, which probably needs another short technic piece to hold it onto the hose.

That's good to hear! I was worried for a bit, but I'm glad you cleared that up. :pir-wink:

I've got to agree on the assertion that the ship is extremely stable. That was the number one thing I was surprised about when I assembled mine. In considering its size compared to its density, it seemed like it would have to be rather fragile. But I'm happy to say it is not.

They need to lower this ship's price to $80 its not worth 100... Then release an imperial man of war at about $110, by next Christmas I hope we have a smaller sloop to to compare to the old CC or IF, for about $50 a better fortress retailing at about $70 would be nice too. But, good start.

MOre specifically about this set, i think the bow is seriously lacking... but the sterncastle is pretty nice. Too bad you don't get a few more pirates with this set, but that can be filled in with impulses (actually all the sets are overpriced now, I think the castle line had a better bang for buck ratio.) I will try to pick one up even if it is over priced, but it really just seems like a slightly better (maybe?) RBR. cool new pieces though, and at least we have pirates.

did the instructions have a comic in them? i am currently saving up for it, and i want to know.

Yes - just like the other sets. I didn't want to spoiler it by posting it here. Enjoy it when you get your set! :pir_laugh2:

YAY ! I lives in Switzerland but I just bought the set on ebay, cheaper than it will be when it will be released in Switzerland ! I'm really lucky to have won it , but ... Svelte_corps, I bought BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR REVIEW ! :pir-sweet:

so now I'm impatient to have it^^

Anyone else worry about Gold Plastic Syndrome with all the recent use of the color by Lego?

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Gold_Plastic_Syndrome

No, I'm not worried. Lego plastic generally holds up well no matter what color it's made in - the main factor in fragility seems to be the type of mold used (ie. small rectangular flags have had breakage problems for years, no matter what color they are made in). Besides, I don't really have much faith in the Transformers line's durability period, especially after I saw the latest line in stores for the first time. :pir-sick:

Edited by Grevious

These pictures give me a great view on what is in this set and i cant wait to get one myself :shark: But for most of it that i saw i think it may need some serious modifications to make it a bit bigger and more detailed! Other than that i am already saving up some money to get one!

From what i saw here are some pros and cons

Pros.

Lots of new parts and colors (dark brown barrels and pearl gold)

Those ship sails masts and main structure ive been looking for

A MONKEY!

cannons

and much more...

Cons

Not as many parts as i had expected

not very detailed

The hull pieces. The two end pieces sit on top of each other seamlessly - you don't even realise they're separate pieces until you see them apart.

b-hulls.jpg

For the record, those end pieces aren't stackable

Wow... I'm gonna get this set as soon as it is released in the UK!

I like the year of the shirtless minifigs thing :pir_laugh2:

I did my own review of it ( on www.brickactu.com but it's in French, as I'm french^^ ) , and I took some pictures to compare our Old redbeard captain and the new brickbeard :

P8122627_2f2132.JPG

P8122628_2165f0.JPG

and I also did the same with the parrots and canons :

P8122600_223f2e.JPG

P8122604_29a2bc.JPG

also, did you noticed that the new shark can eat a whole minifig ?

P8122619_2ea0f5.JPG

the next picture is a link to the gallery of the review, where you don't need to speak french, if you want more view of this new amazing ship! ^^ As SvelteCorps did a really cool review of it, I think it's useless to post my complete review^^

P8122611_2c1141.JPG

^^ Nice comparison - I love how Lego still reinvent themselves all the time - I was 9 years old in 1989 so I must say I love the original pirate Lego the most, but this new Pirate Lego has impressed me very much.

I was pretty disappointed when they made some of the Pirate stuff from around 1996 or so, but this new Pirate theme has gotten me all psyched up