81 members have voted

1. 1. What do you rate this set?

• 5-Outstanding
    • 4-Above Average
    • 3-Average
    • 2-Below Average
    • 1-Poor

Thanks for the informative review.

I have to say that the I hate the baseplate.

I think because of the great quality MOC's that i'm now used to seeing, I prefer brick built islands. I understand that this is designed as a children's playset, needs to be affordable and in the old days, the baseplates were similar but I don't like the lack of studs. That's probably the main reason.

I think i'll just get the exclusive pirate minifig on his own.

Once again, thank you for this wonderful review! This looks like one sweet set. I must say I'm not a big fan of the base plate, but the set comes with some great parts, and again, the minifigs are fantastic. :thumbup: Printed pieces galore as well, that I love. Thanks again!

~Peace

That's a really cool set! I like the island baseplate and the scurvy-ridden pirate castaway that comes with it.

I also like the 'brig' with the treasure chest full of 'booty' as well as the telescope. I'll be looking forward to buying this set at my local Toys "R" Us.

:jollyroger:

Thanks for the neat review! This set is the most unapealing of all the new Pirate sets to me. Aside from the figs and some accessories, it doesn't have anything too interesting to offer for an AFOL, and is therefore not worth $20 for me. However, it's still a nice, little, pirate-y set, so I voted above average. :pir-classic:

New Pirates ON! :jollyroger:

Thanks for the awesome review Lego12 :thumbup: . This set looks awesome and it is cheap compared to the other pirate set so this is the best candiate and my choose to get :monkey: . The pic with both the sets you owned is the best one and it really shows the potential of this new line :pir-wub: . I just love this line in my opinion the second best just behind my beloved Star Wars :pir-grin: .

Lego12, thanks for the very fine review. I wanted to give my comments earlier regarding about this set. The baseplate for the island is just so amazing. I love it. The entire island design is so wonderful that you could create a miniature abandoned temple for Indiana Jones to loot the treasure or a Pirate outpost in the far away ocean, hiding away from the Imperials navy. There is so much playability in this set, and will defintely love to get this. :pir-wink:

The blue naval boat is nice, especially with its blue facade. Thanks for doing this review. :pir-sweet:

Awesome review. I'm just noting the age group on the box. 6-12 and on some sets an "easy build" symbol? Castle managed to pull off 8-14. It looks just as 8-14ish as the 6-12 one. Not complaining, just wondering.

Hmm... interesting observation... it´s 'modular build/easy start' on the Soldiers´Fort box... and although the construction of that set

didn´t really look that complicated and could use some more details (and bricks) it´s not that bad either... the modular aspect is,

on the other hand, pretty clever for sure, and with some more modular sets (a new Trading Post, perhaps?) we could create a neat

port pretty easily over the course of time... hopefully... :pir-sweet:

Great review. :thumbup:

I myself am not a fan of the island. But the accessories, figs, and the boat are wonderful!

And I want me a :cannon:

-VBBN :monkey:

great review.

surely i like the island baseplate. this part can be expanded to make bigger island. awesome idea from TLC.

At first I was exited with the pirates, but now I must say, the sets are a little disapointing. I really don't like the colors they used. The sets appear to childisch and I have the impression that there is less detail. In general they look a little bit like a Lego knockoff. Put one of these new pirates next to Vikings and you really have a bad mix.

I don't see this line lasting very long. The pirates hype (with Pirates of the Carrabean etc...) is over and when there are cooler sets like Castle, Star Wars and Agents for the kids to be bought, I don't see them picking up this theme also.

You think the new Castle and Agent sets are cool? Have fun playing with those and leave the new Pirates sets alone :-p

The Star Wars sets are pretty sweet... I really want that Millennium Falcon..

Oh, I also wonder what it would look like with two baseplates stuck back to back

It's a great set, great minifigs and accessoires. The plate however, is a nice brick to have but it is hard to customize. There's almost no room on it while it's such a nice plate. The price is a bit high indeed for a small but nice set like this. I'm considering to buy it or not. The fort is on my wishlist at last. :pir_laugh2:

I'm one of those poor souls who lives in the UK, so I won't get the models until next year :pir_bawling: (I think they will be released then).

Anyway great review, with a great set. The minifigures look great, especially with the accessories!

I will be getting that set A.S.A.P. :pir_laugh2:

That must be the ugliest baseplate ever, it's worse than the classic space moon crater plates. (but maybe not as bad as the raised castle ones...?) Actually it's a turnoff, I lose interest in a set with such a monstrous baseplate...

Of course you can make island MOCs with it but all islands will be much too similar.

Good review, though, but I'm going to give a bad grade in the poll.

The baseplate doesn't look too good. It doesn't have a lot of studs on it, limiting its used in MOCs.

Edited by heyann

What an interesting set! Can't wait to get my hands on it! I'm so glad that The Lego Company finally brought back Pirates :pir-classic: !

To anyone planning to get two of these, in order to join two baseplates and make a complete island (as I did), this CAN't be done. The back of the baseplate slopes slightly inwards, so, when you join two of these, you get a gap about 2 mm wide. :( Sad thing TLG didn't think about this!!!

Pirates use catapults?

IMO change catapult to a canon, then its worth the $20