cagri

Space Police 2009!

Personally I like seeing what the AFOL community thinks of it, even if they hate it.

The criticism is somewhat interesting, but all the more distressing to read at the same time imo.

In short TLC just can't please everybody no matter what concept they put out, that is one reason they sell a wide diversity of themes I suppose.

But then again its against my principles to bash themes just because... :hmpf:

Edited by Spacefan

I take it you don't like this theme, so why bother posting? :hmpf_bad:

You have misread me completely. I love this (fake) theme! And Batbrick's bizarro creations have stuck in my memory.

Actually the random aspects of what we can see of the new Space Police and exaggerated, cartoony aliens do have a lot in common with the Block Block aesthetic. AFOLs ahead of their time, I tell ya :wink:

You have misread me completely. I love this (fake) theme! And Batbrick's bizarro creations have stuck in my memory.

Actually the random aspects of what we can see of the new Space Police and exaggerated, cartoony aliens do have a lot in common with the Block Block aesthetic. AFOLs ahead of their time, I tell ya :wink:

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry, :laugh::cry_sad:??? *huh*

I am actually saddened that the Lego designers didn't totally steal from adhere more to the Block Block O' Verse. It's seductive combination of bulky spacecraft and garbage collection seemed to perfectly marry the twin super-themes of Space and City. Space Police? Who cares! Space Garbage Collectors? Instant classic. In particular the Dancing Mo Mo Cactus Kitten subtheme seemed to have the balance between brick-built minifig alien freaks and Block-Blockiness just right :sadnew:

:laugh: , ah the old Dancing Mo Mo Cacti Kittens, I shall never forget. I still have plans to shock everyone with the same premise but really well built. Thanks for bringing back fun memories, Crossdressing Lightning Babe is now a recurring character of mine.

It's not easy to forget Extendo Shark Head man. I do agree though, the more cartoony aliens contrast nicely with previous themes, I hope the theme continues. It looks like the Cyclops in the impulse appears in the freighter set, so I might make one of them a space police.

Lightning Babe Away! :wacko:

The criticism is somewhat interesting, but all the more distressing to read at the same time imo.

In short TLC just can't please everybody no matter what concept they put out, that is one reason they sell a wide diversity of themes I suppose.

But then again its against my principles to bash themes just because... :hmpf:

I have to agree that listening to criticism is just as interesting as praise. People like different things.

I'm interested in why it distresses you. I can tell you why unwavering praise distresses me. Criticism helps a company and its product get better. Now, just saying 'this sucks' doesn't help anyone. But I want Lego Space to continue to impress and continue to improve. And I want Lego to get the message that when they do jelly aliens that have no arms the fans are going to beat them up about it. And look at the aliens we're getting now. One of them has extra arms to help make up for the Mars Mission aliens. Good job complaining fans!

Criticism in a forum like this can also help people with their building as they might see the same things Lego is being criticized for in their on MOCs and decide to rectify it. Or just as easily think to themselves they disagree and like whatever is being discussed.

But you want a specific criticism. As much as I like the 4 armed alien, I wish the arms were uniform, either droid arms or mini-fig arms. The combination fo both is a little weird. My preference would've been exo-force robot arms for all 4. Those were useful pieces (trying to incorporate them into my robot horses now) and with exo-force going the way of the dinosaurs they don't appear in enough sets for my liking.

-Tohst

The only criticism I have to make against the new Space Police is that the disks thrown onto the prison pods look ugly and seem completely unnecessary.

Edited by Algernon

The only criticism I have to make against the new Space Police is that the disks thrown onto the prison pods look ugly and seem completely unnecessary.

That's fair. But I don't know that anybody expected the little jail-cells to be the highlight of the theme. Based on what I could make out in those pics, I think they're miles above giant, one-piece trans-orange cylinders. The beauty of LEGO, of course, is that if you don't like little details like that, you can leave 'em off...although, it's quite possible that the discs serve some sort of functional purpose to add play value. Perhaps they dislodge the prison pods or something. I look forward to seeing more photos after Toy Fair in a few weeks.

Edited by Draykov

That's fair. But I don't know that anybody expected the little jail-cells to be the highlight of the theme. Based on what I could make out in those pics, I think they're miles above giant, one-piece trans-orange cylinders. The beauty of LEGO, of course, is that if you don't like little details like that, you can leave 'em off...although, it's quite possible that the discs serve some sort of functional purpose to add play value. Perhaps they dislodge the prison pods or something. I look forward to seeing more photos after Toy Fair in a few weeks.

I will definitely agree that, disks or no disks, these stasis pods are WAY better than the useless MM trans-orange tubes.

Also, you can hit the disks with a missile to eject the occupant into space. Look at the box art of the Galactic Enforcer. Not much of a rescue if you ask me!

Oh wow. These sets are looking better and better. I'll pick up some sets just for the awesome helmets and new pieces. (New spear piece!!)(And flame piece!!) :cry_happy::cry_happy::cry_happy:

Just checking: do we have a proposed release date yet? I know that it's "summer 09", but what does that mean? Agents came out early June last year, but the CW sets came out late August! That's a good three month difference and they were both advertised as "Summer 08" releases... so what can we expect here?

Edited by Algernon

I wish it was more clear what each of the aliens look like. I have to say that squidman is fabulous. I am dissappointed in the Futuron color scheme for the police. I was so hoping for something closer to the original color sheme. Sadly, it seems that blue has been left out and replaced with bley and they added trans green for weapons.

The large ship seems promising but the other sets lack for me. All the technic parts poking out just ruin the designs for me and the alien ships clearly have a color theme, one I don't like much.

I am looking forward to seeing new pictures of it all and picking up a set or two before I make my final judgement but My early sentiments seem confirmed. Oh well.

Anyone out there want to trade me your old space police one figures?

I wish it was more clear what each of the aliens look like. I have to say that squidman is fabulous. I am dissappointed in the Futuron color scheme for the police. I was so hoping for something closer to the original color sheme. Sadly, it seems that blue has been left out and replaced with bley and they added trans green for weapons.

I like the Futuron color scheme, but in a way I agree with you. The problem is that white has been one of the crappy colors in recent years. I think these SP sets are great, but whether I actually buy them or not will depend entirely on what Lego's white quality looks like in the summer. If the sets were black and blue like SP1, this wouldn't have been an issue at all.

I was hoping that the uniforms could be like the torso of Drakov's avatar figure, in a varying colour scheme (mmm Star Trek-y) but the new ones look like they are cool (hopefully a clearer picture will reveal what they look like)

Just checking: do we have a proposed release date yet? I know that it's "summer 09", but what does that mean? Agents came out early June last year, but the CW sets came out late August! That's a good three month difference and they were both advertised as "Summer 08" releases... so what can we expect here?

All Clone Wars merchandise was embargoed until July 26 to coincide with the launch of the movie; that wasn't Lego's decision, it was LucasArts. I doubt this issue applies this year and hopefully we should see a consistency with summer releases that we have seen with previous years. Maybe a few themes will fall either side of the divide (like Farm seems to have done with the first half of the year releases) but I don't think we'll have to wait as long.

I was hoping that the uniforms could be like the torso of Drakov's avatar figure, in a varying colour scheme (mmm Star Trek-y) but the new ones look like they are cool (hopefully a clearer picture will reveal what they look like)

Big amen to that! I was hoping that we'd see one, given what was glimpsed in the preliminary shots of 7636 Combine Harvester. Alas, it was not included in the final version.

Edited by Draykov

the disc at the ends of the prison pods, are for the missile launchers to blow open(look at the police cruisers box).

Does it bother anyone else that all aliens are criminal and the space police all human?

It balances out Mars Mission, where the humans were evil and the aliens were natives.

It balances out Mars Mission, where the humans were evil and the aliens were natives.

Brilliant! :laugh:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who saw that Mars Mission's - for lack of a better word - plot made no sense.

ill still convert an alien to Space Police and vice versa though, I like shades of grey, it's why Star Wars always seemed overrated to me *ducks*

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I think the Galactic Enforcer can be broke up in to 3 pieces cockpit the prison thing and the engine like the Solar Explorer(7315) from life on mars that will be so COOL

Awesome!

*hands over the internet he won earlier*

-tohst

Apparently SP3 isn't coming out in Europe...

:hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf:

Oh really? And is that an undeniable fact? Where on Earth did you hear something so ridiculous.

No offense, but I wish people would be sure of something before they post. This can't be true...

God, I'll feel like a dork if you're right...but for now I doubt that.

Those two baddies that come with hyperspeed pursuit have the crapiest names! :hmpf: Twin1 and Twin2 come on!

:hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf: :hmpf:

Oh really? And is that an undeniable fact? Where on Earth did you hear something so ridiculous.

No offense, but I wish people would be sure of something before they post. This can't be true...

God, I'll feel like a dork if you're right...but for now I doubt that.

It is being reported from attendees at UK Toy Fair this week that LEGO representatives on the LEGO stand have been telling visitors that SP3 is a North America release *only*. They say that there are no plans to release the theme in Europe or anywhere else, other than USA & Canada.

I can honestly say I am very disappointed

Ian

EDIT - just a thought; Toy Fair is targeted at toy retailers, and it may be that SP3 won't be made available to retailers outside of North America, but *may* be available via the LEGO Shop@Home & LEGO Brand stores. Maybe.