Sign in to follow this  
Erdbeereis

Gorilla Bay

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 35c

A ruthless gang of pirates sail towards a tropical island with hungry appetites...

They set foot on the island and start to gather the ingredients for a recipe they like to call... "Bloody Stew"

Few natives survived....

skyseabackground.jpg

ptv_large_029.jpg

3019757830_96acc584a4_o.jpg

ptv_large_031.jpg

ptv_large_032.jpg

3018926011_f50f9bfe2d_o.jpg

Ye be findin' many more pictures o' this on me Flickr page.

Thank ye for hostin' such a great contest me hearties! :pir-classic:

Good luck to everyone!

nice entry Erdbeereis1 ! the mountain is really cool !

I like everything in it but the sails of the boat ^^ Is that the final sails ?

*pirate accent*

Ho Ho Ho and a bottle of rum! Treasure here I come! Argh matey, your entry makes me feel like becoming gay(As in happy.) again. Here are some tips for you matey...

1) Is the ship part of the entry or not laddy? If so do take more pictures of it.

2) It is an island so add more bloody bodies! show the horror and joy of death! :jollyroger:

3)Add more dismantled body parts to the sea! After all, so much blood cant come from only one body!

4)You laddy can add a blood trail to the sea!

That is all laddy! May the beautiful lady luck be with you!

Thanks for the comments!

Guss, what do you not like about the sails?

Provisorak, what do you mean by this?

4)You laddy can add a blood trail to the sea!

The ship is certainly part of the entry, but with only 6 picture, I wanted to focus on the main part of the entry, which is the island. However there are many more pictures of the ship on my Flickr page.

EDIT: Ooops! I just realized that I only have 5 pictures, I'll add one more of the ship.

Guss, what do you not like about the sails?

I prefer sails plain or striped ^^ I don't really like when there is skulls or drawing on it, well, depends of the moc , but on yours, I would prefer it striped ( red/white or black/white ) I think ^^

My opinion:

Well done, Erdbeereis1, this really is a very nice entry. I like the huge blood trail in the sea and your lobsters are funny too, the cave/prison is very well done and so is the "cooking table".

Possible improvements:

1) I also like the sails striped. Perhaps you could add some stripes above and beneath these. The skull you've drawn isn't a problem to me.

2) Personnaly I would replace the revolver with a pistol if you have one, since that would be better to represent those times.

Non-brick related advise:

1) Maybe you could "edit" some water in with your graphics software.

Thanks everyone!

Zorro and Guss, normally I would change the sails, however I'm not going to because I'll be leaving on saturday to go on a trip for a week and I still need to finish my medium and small entries, and I won't have much time to re-take and edit all of the pictures. Plus I kind of like them how they are. :pir-blush:

As for a digital background, I really wanted to do that, but the way the MOC was positioned (sort of vertical) it looked quite strange. Although, do you think it would look okay if the whole thing was in water? That would be easy to do. I suppose it could be a small island.

I may do that! :shark:

As for a digital background, I really wanted to do that, but the way the MOC was positioned (sort of vertical) it looked quite strange. Although, do you think it would look okay if the whole thing was in water? That would be easy to do. I suppose it could be a small island.

I may do that! :shark:

I think that would be better yes, and there are plenty of small island in the ocean, so why not :pir-classic: ?

I think that would be better yes, and there are plenty of small island in the ocean, so why not :pir-classic: ?

I'll try it later today. It might be a bit tough with all of the little holes on the ship though.

Thanks! :pir-classic:

Wonderful entry, Erdbeereis! :pir-sweet:

What I like:

Your ship is good, and the red fits in with the brown nicely. I also like your skull rock formation and crabs, which are both very creative. The additions of the wave crests crashing into the shoreline and rocks was done beautifully, as well as the seaweed. :thumbup: The bird in the tree is pretty cool, too. Putting the rocks in the sea was a great way to fill up some empty space, and the blood trail is very cruel (and the stew).

What could be improved:

Not much, actually. The only part that I don't like is the sails. The paper looks a bit sloppy, but it was a good attempt.

But very good entry which has very few flaws, Erdbeereis. Good luck!

Thanks JimButcher!

The sails are actually made of cloth, not paper. It's interesting, no one seems to like the sails, but I was pretty proud of them. :pir-tongue:

Oh well, everyone can have their own opinion! :pir-classic:

Thanks again for all of the comments everyone! I really appreciate it. :pir-cry_happy:

This is great! I love how you really made the pirates pillaging a village. I think you should remove the ship because it really isn't necessary and without it you could have a better picture of the battle scene. But if you keep the ship please improve the sails.

This is great! I love how you really made the pirates pillaging a village. I think you should remove the ship because it really isn't necessary and without it you could have a better picture of the battle scene. But if you keep the ship please improve the sails.

How would you improve the sails? I plan on keeping this as is, because I still need to finish my small and medium entry, but I'd like to know what to do next time around.

I really like the sails. The hairs on the skull are cute! Also great rock formation, did you really create it with the intention of making a gorilla shape? If so, great job! If not, guess you are lucky it turned out the way it did, it is really stunning.

Only thing that makes me wonder is that rowing boat, which seems to be going the wrong way. It could ofcourse also be a native coming back to collect the body parts of his children? Or a native with a terrible eyesight and not too great hearing, noticing the slaughterparty a bit too late? Or maybe a special rowing technique ofcourse :pir-cry_happy:

Oh and the mountain sheep is a nice touch, making it not only a tradegy for the rowing native, but also for that poor sheep having to witness the killing of his distant relatives.

Finally a reeeeeeally bloody entry. It's so sadistic, evil and bloody. It's perfect for the contest! I i'm very fond of the bloody-ness (thats not a real word is it?) of your MOC.

The bloody trails in the water and on the beach is very.. ehm.. bloody :pir-grin: Nice!

Your stew is so cruel and I wonder what it tastes like :pir-laugh:

Improvements

Your islander in the boat is sailing the wrong way if he tries to escape. You'll have your back to the front of a boat when you row.

I think your sails are fine, only thing is, that I would expect piratesails to be more dirty. They are almost clinical. So if you could make them more brown or somehow more wasted.

Maybe you could put the bloodtrail in thw water into you SNOT-foundation. At the moment it's lying ontop of the water. Thats a pit wierd I think.

Somehow I think that adding a ship like that separates your MOC in two. So if you have time (which it seems you don't :pir-hmpf: ) you should try to integrate the ship more in your MOC.

Good luck in the contest.

Thanks guys!

I'm working on making a water background for the first picture, so that should connect the ship better.

Next time I will certainly try and incorporate the blood into the water.

As for the backwards-rowing man, he is meant to escape but I wanted to make his scared face visible.

With the cleanish sails, I figured that since all of the official LEGO pirate ships have clean sails, then mine should as well. I don't think pirate sails were always dirty, that way they probably wouldn't work too well.

Thanks again for the comments! :pir-classic:

Great entry Erdbeereis1! It's possibly my favourite and I love all of the brick-built animals I can see!

I wish you good luck!

Well thats certainly a gruesome entry you have there Erdbeeries1, I love the mountain face, the sausages, and cut up sheep. I like the ship but it feels more like an afterthought as it isnt in the water of the main MOC.

I think you have spent your time well.

Good luck.

Great entry Erdbeereis1! It's possibly my favourite and I love all of the brick-built animals I can see!

I wish you good luck!

Thanks a lot Razzer! I had a lot of fun making the animals.

Well thats certainly a gruesome entry you have there Erdbeeries1, I love the mountain face, the sausages, and cut up sheep. I like the ship but it feels more like an afterthought as it isnt in the water of the main MOC.

I think you have spent your time well.

Good luck.

Thanks ISC! :pir-classic:

I realize now that I probably should have extended the water out so the ship could be on it but ah well! :pir-tongue:

The digital background should tie it together a bit better I hope. I'm almost done with it, but I can't access Classic-Pirates at the moment, so I can't get to the backgrounds.

Sorry for the double post.

I have now added a ocean background, which I think ties the ship to the island a lot better.

that's nice with the digital background, I like it ! ^^

Looks very good Erdbeereis1, a real improvement!

Now it looks like it is a real island and the ship is sailing around it.

:thumbup: from me.

Opinion

You have a very original idea here. Pirates going onto an island and searching on it for something the pirates don't have. In your first picture, I like how you added the ocean and sky background. It makes your MOC appearance look even better. The battle on the island looks really gory and bloody. The rock formation you have made looks like a giant skeleton head. The table with the Islander being separated looks pretty messed up to me. I like how you made the crabs using pirate hats as the bodies. The Islander on the little boat is funny because he is the last one and does not look like he is going to escape from the pirate ship.

Possible Improvements

1) Have a shark or a dolphin in the water.

Non-Brick Related

1) Not to be mean, but those sails are not the best. I would go to the sail library and print out a sail. If that does not work, just use plain white paper.

Overall- You have done a great job creating your MOC and you are not lacking blood at all. Actually, I like that blood stream that leads into the water. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

Thanks LegoKing! :pir-classic:

There actually are sharks, only their dorsal fins are showing though, as I thought it would look strange to have a huge shark above water level.