Mortymore

Stuff for link treaded vehicles

I bought a Technic 8294 excavator recently, and during construction, upon assembly of the linktreads I realyse that they do not grip on flat surfaces, as was the case of my glass table were I was assembling the excavator. So I went looking on the web for solutions, and didn't actualy find one that satisfied me. I know that most of LEGO funs are not willing to add non LEGO stuff to their creations, but to solve my slipering treads problem, I came up with the idea to add rubberbands to each linktread. And It worked just fine. Later I was told that LEGO might have their rubberbands that would do as well like x137, but I dind't tested this myself.

Here's a picture

lego8294rubbertreads2.jpg

How it's done

lego8294rubberbands.jpg

Brickshlef pictures folder

Later, after added PF motors to excavator, I though it could be nice to have instead of the usual 2 sticks on the remote control to drive the excavator, some sort of remote more on the car stile, with a stick for forward/reverse motion, and a wheel for steering.

This is the result

8294_remote_02.jpg

Brickshlef pictures folder

Since this is actualy my first real post here, I hope I didn't mess up with some forum rule. If that's the case, my apollogies, and let me know were I went wrong so I do not make the same mistake again. :blush:

Forgive if my english is not so good, and I hope you all manage to understand. :tongue:

Best regards

Edited by Mortymore

That looks pretty nice. :thumbup: I like your controller as well.

I have noticed the same thing with these tracks. The 8275 bulldozer doesn't grip that well on a hard floor and is best used on a carpet, and lighter models are even worse.

A very simple and nice solution to the problem (although it is quite fun to use the bulldozer on smooth surfaces, and having it spin and slide around).

With the two technic holes in each thread, Lego could actually make a small element of rubber-like material, that would fit into the holes, but still stick out slightly, securing a good grip on any surface.

Front

Edited by Front

A very simple and nice solution to the problem (although it is quite fun to use the bulldozer on smooth surfaces, and having it spin and slide around).

With the two technic holes in each thread, Lego could actually make a small element of rubber-like material, that would fit into the holes, but still stick out slightly, securing a good grip on any surface.

Don't forget the possibility of Snow Bars!

brickshelf_1.jpg

I built this thing from Han's instructions and it is fantastic.

The weight of the vehicle is very important, and a good link track grip depend on it.

With a heavy weight monster, there's probably no big deal, but with light weight vehicle like the 8294 excavator, that to make thing worst have a big bucket arm raising is gravity centre, it become easily slippery and lose grip.

I don't have the 8275 Bulldozer, but if even with him people report low grip on flat surfaces, it isn't hard to see that with the 8294 excavator it's much worst.

I sure agree with Front on this: :wink:

cumps

Don't forget the possibility of Snow Bars!

I built this thing from Han's instructions and it is fantastic.

I will consider trying to build this in the future. Would be fun trying it out in the snow.

I should probably start the build before it starts snowing. Often it tend to melt away quickly in DK.

The threads introduced with the bulldozer could be used for more interesting things. E.g. using them as a conveyor belt, like this example I just put together, making it possible to pull water up from one to a higher level. It probably would require a plate under the brown box, to close the two holes in it :wink:

3022133933_d9b778042c_o.jpg

Front

I really like what you;ve done to the remote. It's a very clever mechanism.

Cheers,

Ralph

Wow! Exellent idea for both the threads and the contoller! Very creative! Great job! I think i'm going to have to give this a try!

Nice to find a fellow Portuguese around these here parts!

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I'm doing a tracked project as well and I'd like to know which rubber bands did you use. I tried it with a box I had lying around, but they were too big.

So, my question is, what kind of rubber bands did you use? Where did you get them? What is their perimeter?

Very nice solution!! I experienced your problem as well. After a long search I came up with rubber caps. They fit nicely in the holes and it works fine. However, you need a fully charged battery, since there's a quite some friction.

cap.png

caps.png

Very nice solution!! I experienced your problem as well. After a long search I came up with rubber caps. They fit nicely in the holes and it works fine. However, you need a fully charged battery, since there's a quite some friction.

Where did you get them?

tim

Where did you get them?

tim

At an online hardware store in The Netherlands.

The pins can be used for a variety of purposes, since they fit normal technic holes as well (obviously).

At an online hardware store in The Netherlands.

The pins can be used for a variety of purposes, since they fit normal technic holes as well (obviously).

Would you mind sharing the link so i at least know what to look for?

tim

Would you mind sharing the link so i at least know what to look for?

tim

Sure, no problem! Have to look it up though. Will post it asap.

Here is Gekke Ted's Eurobricks topic about "Solving Grip Problem with [Lego Technic] Link Treads". On this post, he wrote: "I got them at a Dutch hardware store for about 15 eurocents a piece, depending on the volume of course. You can probably find these in the US too. If not, and if there's more interest in these caps, I can make a shipment to a US Bricklink store, so they can distribute them in the US. Or send it directly, but I am not sure what the shipping costs will be. We can figure something out." On this post, he added: "Shipping to Sweden will cost about 10 Euros up to 2 kg. So you can get 500 for around 70 Euro. Or 200 for around 45 Euro. I am willing to do the shipping for you. If there are more people interested, it might be better to open a Brickstore. However, I am not familiar with the costs and regulations etc."

cap.png

Here is Gekke Ted's Eurobricks topic about "Solving Grip Problem with [Lego Technic] Link Treads". On this post, he wrote: "I got them at a Dutch hardware store for about 15 eurocents a piece, depending on the volume of course. You can probably find these in the US too. If not, and if there's more interest in these caps, I can make a shipment to a US Bricklink store, so they can distribute them in the US. Or send it directly, but I am not sure what the shipping costs will be. We can figure something out." On this post, he added: "Shipping to Sweden will cost about 10 Euros up to 2 kg. So you can get 500 for around 70 Euro. Or 200 for around 45 Euro. I am willing to do the shipping for you. If there are more people interested, it might be better to open a Brickstore. However, I am not familiar with the costs and regulations etc."

cap.png

Thanks DLuders! That indeed is my post. However, I don't seem to be able to find the name of the store.

Almost the same

Edit: Yes!! Found them!!!

http://www.materiaal...d=85948&kind=55

Edited by Gekke Ted

okay thanks for the link, i will take a look.

tim

Sure, no problem default_thumbup.gif