Oky

Star Wars

On 4/15/2017 at 8:23 AM, Error404 said:

I'm pretty sure it's Luke saying those words, maybe having come to the conclusion that Jedi and Sith both have to end and a balanced form of both being necessary to bring true balance to the Force.

You're right. If you look closely, you can see his lips moving to the word "end."

The Sith are gone. Neither Ben or Snoke are technically Sith. They've not been given a name yet, whatever their order is.

The Jedi are almost gone.

I'd be surprised if Disney was big enough to kill off both groups entirely. It doesn't strike me as something they'd be willing to do. The terms Jedi and Sith are basically synonymous with Star Wars and they've got a lot of power (selling power!). If there were truly no more Jedi and Rey became something else I'd... just doubt Disney would essentially kill off the Jedi entirely unless they're that confident that the... whatever is next, lets call them... Blorps... will become a new, popular replacement. There's a  lot of power in a name... And essentially giving balance to the force would like, limit future story potential lol. But it's been where Star Wars has been headed and it's hard to take that away from the Skywalkers.

Disney would not be killing off the Jedi or the Sith, just in one particular time period of the Star Wars universe. So Jedi spin-off stories would be set in PT era mostly.

I'm sure Luke's words are referring to creed and philosophy of the Jedi being a problem. A part of a dichotomy that incited generations of violence and death in conjunction with the Sith, the Jedi may be a lapsed notion. There place in the Star wars history is over. Shedding the rigidity of the Jedi order towards the a more balanced approach. A new order of force-wielders could emerge.

Or Luke is just sad and Rey has to get him out of his funk. 

True. For all we know, the scene where he says "it's time for the Jedi to end" could take place within the first 15-20 min of the movie, it could be his current mindset before even really getting to know Rey.

On 4/17/2017 at 7:17 AM, AgentKallus of Hydra said:

Was that  Atollon in the TLJ trailer?

Ohhhh you mean that shot where the camera is zooming in on something surrounded by woodish coral? Good point, im really curious about that actually.

The wood coral really reminded me of Bendu, so I see what you're getting at. Be very interesting if there was some connection there. 

In other news a preview of Forces of Destiny is here:

I like it, from a story point of view it looks interesting, filling in the little gaps we didn't see in the movies. As someone who's fond of both Clone Wars and Rebels maybe I'm being a little bias here, but I'm not to keen on that animation. 

11 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

The wood coral really reminded me of Bendu, 

It was shown when she said the balance... as in the one in the middle... but I doubt that we'll see him.

On 4/17/2017 at 7:17 AM, AgentKallus of Hydra said:

Was that  Atollon in the TLJ trailer?

Its actually a tree which is kinda a spoiler but not a big one.

#MayTheFourthBeWithYou!

I'm very sorry but I have to brag :laugh:

Today was one of the best Star Wars days: first of all I was on live Dutch Television! Normally I do the interviews but this time I got interviewed!

https://youtu.be/E5arAZWltOQ

Omroep-Brabant-Star-Wars.jpg?resize=750,

Besides all this I was also featured in the dutch newspaper 'Metro'!

Metro.jpg?w=370&ssl=1

Seeing the trailer today in the theatre was just breath taking. I wasn't a huge fan of the trailer but after today, wow - just wow. 

Something I have noticed recently; I am beginning to refer to and think of Rogue One as part of the "Original Trilogy." I know logically that despite taking place in the same time era it isn't part of the OT because it wasn't released cinematically in the same era; yet for some reason getting to see classic Star Wars characters and ships in the film really makes it the most OT Star Wars offering in years... Am I the only one who keeps thinking of Rogue One like that?

No, I also tend to view it that way, for me it kinda feels like ANH has become a longer movie, with RO as part one of a longer Ep4.

Returning to some of the earlier speculation with regards to Luke. I noticed in the trailer he is made to seem as though he utters that pivotal line 'It is time for the Jedi to end" whilst above a possible cliff. 

Maybe he thinks to himself, I have trained a force wielder, not a Jedi, and perhaps with a few sprinkles of a moral code. Then he says I am the last Jedi so off this cliff I go so as not to inspire anyone else to come find me and making  Jedi out of them. 

But that is just me thinking darkly. But it sort of makes some sense. He is at a different place in life. He has tried and failed to reignite the fire of the Jedi and after everything is taken into account maybe he does see things a bit like his father did. These opposing dogmas only cause troubles. His father of course chose tyranny over freedom. 

Luke tried justice it seems, but I am guessing if he did it the Jedi way it was too rigid almost like slavery, so there are two extremes there and I am sure he has come to realize that or sense that. 

Maybe he has evolved his thinking to the middle as that is another point emphasized by the trailer "balance." Perhaps he has refined force using to be more fluid between moral states. For those times when you need to be stern be stern but fair, when you need to relax, relax but stay alert.

It always seemed a bit inhuman to me the way the Jedi were depicted in the prequels. If that is the only template he had to work with, and I am sure it was, then no wonder it was ripe to fail again. 

The Jedi had no fluidity to move as living beings between states of agency. They had to be just so and nothing but just so. Any deviation led to the "dark side." 

But I am just rambling still it is interesting if they take that approach as it more closely mirrors some of the more pressing political and philosophical quandaries of the "now" in our world. 

16 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

Something I have noticed recently; I am beginning to refer to and think of Rogue One as part of the "Original Trilogy." I know logically that despite taking place in the same time era it isn't part of the OT because it wasn't released cinematically in the same era; yet for some reason getting to see classic Star Wars characters and ships in the film really makes it the most OT Star Wars offering in years... Am I the only one who keeps thinking of Rogue One like that?

No, I feel the exact same way. I deliberately choose to view it as part of the Original Trilogy because it fits so well with these movies. And, additionally, it creates another nice bridge to the prequels with Bail Organa.

Rogue One definitely feels like an oldschool Star Wars offering to me, and I love it all the more for just that.

Rogue One kind of sucks so no way should anyone put it in the same grouping as the original trilogy.

Red Letter Media has a lot of good videos on Rogue One which are all spot on (as well as their Prequels ones too!).

I hearby dub that YouTube title card as Cheeto the Hutt. I have heard a lot of Star Wars fans calling out Red Letter Media for being overly cynical. If I enjoyed the film so much, why would I want to watch an overly critical review (from Cheeto the Hutt there too)? Please don't tell me he is focused on the choppy start of Rogue One and the straight faced characters claiming they ruin the entire film :hmpf_bad:. It's the fanboy eletism that was so darning to the Prequels, and it seems most Star Wars fans agree Disney's two offerings so far are leaps ahead of the PT; so why apply Prequel criticism to films that clearly outpace it? What, are we defending some nostalgia for the OT? Is the OT supposed to be sacred untouched holy film, while the PT, Clone Wars, Rebels, Anthology Films and Sequel Trilogy are taboo?

Or can we just have fun that our favorite franchise is growing and go along with the ride? :wink: I think Rogue One deserves it's spot next to the OT, and don't you dare tell me the characters are bland. There is a reason I am collecting every Lego set with a member of the main Rogue One crew; yet my only named TFA characters in Lego that I have so far are Rey and Phasma; because honestly the Rogue One characters excited me just that much more. You'd be somber and bland too if going to war against an unstoppable foe!

Edited by xboxtravis7992

I get their criticism about certain aspects of Rogue One. I listenned to their live commentary track of it and they explain better their views on some criticism. Sure some of it is over cynical in the video but there are different ways of enjoying star wars. Rogue One put a lot of emphasis on ships, weapons and battle, a more technical aspect that I enjoy a lot. 

Their complain as more to do about some of the characters; Jynn doesn't get a proper back story in between she's a little girl and locked up, and how the story goes.

The whole Eadu section could have been swapped for giving more time to the characters and Scariff could have been a plan to infiltrate the facility mission impossible style up until things go awry and cue in the Rebel Fleet and the on the ground battle. That would have been better, since honestly the Eadu act is somewhat of a drag. 

I think Rogue One could have been much better had they simply cut back on the amount of characters and given the important ones more time. The dumb suicidal guy who refuses to run any longer (from an EXPLOSION) is also the stupidest freakin' thing I've ever seen in Star Wars. Get rid of the stuff like that which doesn't make sense either. 

The characters were dumb and I still can't even remember all of their names. It's sad that the best character is the robot which just has some entertaining one liners. In terms of liking it for the ships, battles, etc. I can't say it did bad there. Those felt Star Wars. But that's the easiest part to get down. The Prequels as bad as they are to a lot of people still FELT like Star Wars when it come to the ships, droids, technical aspects, etc. But that just doesn't make for a good story.

I'd compare Rogue One to Transformers (but not THAT bad lol). It's a lot of show, and it shows well, but it's empty and the characters such. Star Wars is ALL about the characters which did not feel Star Warsy in this movie. We got to know Finn and Rey in 5 minutes better than we did all the characters in Rogue One combined. And while there were moments were I was legit AMAZED, they were still hallow. Like the Darth Vader scene. Yes, it WAS cool. I don't think that can be denied. However, did it really have anything behind it besides that? It was yet another hallow moment in an incredibly hallow movie.

Oh and the GCI was freakin' terrible haha. But I guess some people have more of an eye for it. Some people didn't know they were fake... whereas I felt like I was watching Roger Rabbit, however I work in video games so maybe my eyes are more keen.

Anyways, I still very much look forward to Episode 8. Less so for the Young Han movie (nobody wondered how he got his name...). I loved Episode 7 but hope 8 is more different. I guess I loved it for it's characters. Rey and Finn are just masterfully shown off. I knew their names pretty much immediately which is a good sign. Even Poe who doesn't get much screen time has 10x the character anyone in Rogue One has. BB8 has more character than everyone! Kylo Ren was awesome. The story... another Death Star thingy... not as strong. But the characters more than made up for it (assuming 8 and 9 aren't also rehashes, I'm okay with 7 being a new introduction with old ideas).

I guess I'll shut up. Half the Star Wars movies are my favorite movies (IV, V, VI, VII). I just find that I can't have a movie with soulless and characterless characters and actually still enjoy it.

"It's the fanboy eletism that was so darning to the Prequels, and it seems most Star Wars fans agree Disney's two offerings so far are leaps ahead of the PT"

(can't seem to copy paste quotes and I'm too lazy to actually do this quote right)

But I would go as far as agreeing that Rogue One is better than the prequels, VII by a long shot.

I think it's less elitism and more expectations. Like Star Wars, the original trilogy, were movies that changed the CULTURE as a whole. They were so good, and came at the perfect time (there was less competition back then, huge factor). People put them up on a pedestal as 5/5 star movies. And when a movie comes out that's 3/5 stars, or even 4/5... it's still seen as lesser and the lesser aspects are magnified so while it might be 4/5 it might feel like 2/5 simply because of expectations. Like if a Star Wars movie doesn't achieve a certain level of greatness, even if it's still good it'll be attacked by fans because "good" isn't good enough.

I'm sure I do that. I'm also really good at making things sound 10x worse than I mean.  :)

Episode I was just a below average movie in my opinion with II getting better and III being pretty good. But honestly, since it's Star Wars, pretty good ain't good enough! Rogue One was decent. Just not GREAT to me. Therefore it's TRASH ;D hahaha. I honestly don't care that I do this either. I just expect more from this franchise. I'm going to nitpick it to death and it's not because I'm a Star Wars elitist. It's because I can't enjoy a Star Wars movie unless it's truly GREAT. Whereas if you renamed Rogue One something like... Tom One, and took it slightly out of the Star Wars universe I'd probably enjoy it a bit more. But then again the one appeal to it is that it's got lots of legit cool Star Wars stuff so I'm not sure anyone would like it at that point.... 

Take away the Star Wars vehicles, put in original ones. Take away Stormtroopers, replace them with another Sci-fi/fantasy force. Take out Darth Vader and replace him with a cool tech Samurai. What would you have? Pretty much nothing. I believe that if you took out the Star Wars from VII it would still be a good movie because it's got good characters.

Idunno, I just pay for movies and stories, not slideshows of pointless but cool things. 

(okay now i"ll really shut up)

Edited by BrickG

The new Snoke figure intrigues me, does this mean Snoke was always human height and the hologram projected him to be larger? Or did Lego simply think it would be easier to make him a minifigure.

I don't remember where the info came from, but Snoke is supposedly around 7 feet tall.

I don't normally like to complain, but can I just rant for a sec?

Spoiler

Looking at the leaked Lego set images, I feel very disappointed. I'm sure most of you will agree that while TFA was an entertaining film, it sorely lacked any originality. I was really hoping that all the similarities to ANH were just a way to get OT fans back on board of the franchise and that they would put more effort into telling an original story in the next episodes. Rogue One seemed to be going in the right direction by giving us new characters (even if they were underdeveloped), new locations, and cool new vehicles like the U-Wing and hovertank. However, all the rumors about TLJ we've heard so far scream ESB-ripoff: A darker tone, a walker battle, Jedi training, a big twist, the reveal of who the main character's parents are, etc. And the images of the vehicle designs from that movie seem to confirm my fears that this episode of the saga will be just as uninspired as the previous installment. The walker is just an AT-AT where the front just looks slightly more gorilla-like and the bomber looks like someone just slapped some bomber plane wings and turrets onto a Nebulon-B frigate. And just like with the TFA vehicles, they couldn't even be bothered to give them an interesting name. Even the teaser trailer for TLJ is edited exactly the same way as the one for TFA (although you could chalk that up to consistent marketing).

I could be wrong and I probably shouldn't judge the movie before I see it, but so far everything points to this trilogy turning out to be an uninspired copy of the OT. Again, I don't like being so pessimistic and I want it to be good, but I just don't have much confidence that Disney (who are currently making a business recycling their own movies) will get more creative with these movies. It's yet another sign of Hollywood being unwilling to innovate these days and preying on people's nostalgia instead which I'm getting increasingly frustrated with. Say what you will about the prequels, but at least they tried to do something different and featured some original designs. :sadnew:

@Oky Ya I feel the same way. While I did enjoy TFA it did feel really repetitive. And while I'm excited for the next movie and these sets I too am sorely disappointed with them. Like you said it just looks like a worse re-hash of sets we got. I own a Star Destroyer and a AT-AT so these don't excite me one bit. If you look at the leaked concept for Kylo's TIE just looks like a TIE Interceptor. So I'm sure we'll get that which will only add to the re-hashes we're already getting so all those will be a really easy pass.