Oky

Star Wars

Anyone see the new Rogue One poster? Personally, I think it has too many flaws for me to enjoy it.

Death Star is WAY too big, the setting looks like a tropical resort, and why would the rebels run at the Stormtroopers in the water instead of shooting them?

(spoiler is just my opinion of the poster)

I have never been happier AND Timothy Zahn is writing a new book about Thrawn. Filoni's such a massive Thrawn fan I feel his episodes are going to be very good. Let's just hope he stays alive and they dont decide to kill him off.

I was hoping that Thrawn may play a part in the sequel trilogy, but this timeline means he's probably dead by TFA.

I was hoping that Thrawn may play a part in the sequel trilogy, but this timeline means he's probably dead by TFA.

Young Thrawn was leading armies pre-Episode I. I think Chiss might be longer lived.

Its been a while since ive read the books but supposedly Thrawn could have been a grand admiral around ANH in the old EU, he just happened to be exploring and colonizing wild space. Plus as CallMePie said he was a captain in his own species fleet several years preceding TPM. They could be long lived.

As it stands he could be around post ROTJ. However would the disaster that was Jakku have happened if Thrawn was in charge then?

I think this is just his reintroduction and between rebels and Zahns new book theyre re cementing him into the new canon as the badass he was. Whether they kill him off or not I dont think even Disney or Filoni knows yet. I feel and hope this is just a starter for many things to come involving his character. Afterall the Empire is massive and the war widespread, he still could have fought the rebels in different theatres of war alongside the OT.

This year's celebration was saved by the Rebels panel: the Rogue One show was dissapointing by the lack of trailer, and the other stuff was meaningless. And lego only showcased the Freemakers....

Is Poe's Black X-Wing a T-70 class or is it the better T-75 the New Republic uses? His seems much better then his compatriots but I can't tell if that's just because of piloting?

Also Space Monkey alien seen in the Rogue One Behind the Scenes trailer is awesome!

I think that Poe's Black One (Poe's black X-Wing's name) is a T-70 like the other X-Wings used by the Resistance.

And also Forresto, The New Republic uses T-85 X-Wing (Which looks identical to the T-70 model), not T-75.

I'm not really surprised at that. 3D usually doesn't turn out well during conversions, just because it's all faked instead of filmed with separate cameras. I expect Clones and Sith will be better, though, if not only because they use so much more CGI. (which, of course, already exists as a 3D file) Me, I don't plan to see any of them. I'll just go see Star Wars and Empire just because they're my favorite, and then stick to my DVD copy of the original theatrical releases.

DVD copy of the original theatrical releases?????

Where to buy? Please tell me!

Columbus

DVD copy of the original theatrical releases?????

Where to buy? Please tell me!

Columbus

In 2006 LFL released two-disc packs of each OT Star Wars movie. One disc is the Special Edition version and one disc is the original theatrical release. With that said, there is some debate on whether the quality of the theatrical version is the same, as it does look touched up. But, if you're looking for a "Han shot first" version, this is the way to go. And having all three, I can say their great.

The DVD theatrical versions have not been released since and their prices seem to span the range on eBay and the like.

In Episode VIII

we'll see Han Solo's funeral

I read an article about that, and

They made it seem like it was some big surprise that Han was dead. : P

Not everyone can be Darth Maul, you know!

With that said, there is some debate on whether the quality of the theatrical version is the same, as it does look touched up. But, if you're looking for a "Han shot first" version, this is the way to go. And having all three, I can say their great.

The DVD theatrical versions have not been released since and their prices seem to span the range on eBay and the like.

It's definitely worse. They're low resolution and sourced from the LaserDisc releases, not the original negatives. There's some debate as to whether original theatrical negatives for the OT even exist anywhere, or if they were irreparably cut up to make the special editions. The Library of Congress has 35mm prints of all three, but those are for copyright purposes and not otherwise accessible. Apparently even the National Film Registry doesn't have copies of Star Wars or Empire, because after they inducted the former, George only offered the '97 version. There are some pre-1997 theatrical prints floating around (and even those sometimes have changes, like the addition of "A New Hope" to Star Wars's crawl after 1980), but people are usually hesitant to show those off for fear of Lucasfilm's lawyers.

If you really want to see a version close to what was shown in theaters, Team Negative One earlier this year finished their first release of a 1080p restoration of Star Wars made by combining a partially complete 35mm English print and a 35mm Spanish print. They're working on continuing to clean that up as well as on restorations of Empire and Jedi.

My preference is Harmy's Despecialized Editions, which reconstruct the theatrical editions from a variety of sources, including the '93 LaserDiscs, the Team Negative One scan, and the Blu-Rays. The goal is to produce theatrical editions comparable in quality to the Blu-Ray release, as opposed to a true restoration, so the colors look more vibrant (and the colors are corrected to what the team feels the '77 prints could've looked like, not to what Lucasfilm did with its more recent releases), the sound is crisper, the camera is more stable, and the picture is less grainy compared to the Team Negative One release. Harmy has Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi all available in 720p, and his team is working on one final touch up of Empire before working on 1080p versions.

I won't post links to any of those, since there're obviously concerns about downloading Star Wars movies off the internet (in the case of the Despecialized Editions, you should legally own the Blu-Ray or digital HD versions of the OT first).

Here's a quick comparison I made of the respective flyovers:

starwarscomparison.png

And

a video by Harmy about his Despecialized editions.

TL;DR: If you want something as close to what was shown in theaters in 1977 as possible, watch the Team Negative One edition. If you want the original theatrical edition but remastered and (in my opinion) more pleasing to watch, watch Harmy's Despecialized edition. If you don't care about any of the changes George made, watch the Blu-ray release. Don't go for the 2006 DVDs.

If you want something as close to what was shown in theaters in 1977 as possible, watch the Team Negative One edition. If you want the original theatrical edition but remastered and (in my opinion) more pleasing to watch, watch Harmy's Despecialized edition. If you don't care about any of the changes George made, watch the Blu-ray release. Don't go for the 2006 DVDs.

Thanks for the info on the different versions. I grabbed Harmy's versions a couple of years ago but wasn't keeping up to date with the Team Negative One version... I'm just grabbing that now. I grabbed the 2006 DVDs on release just for the OT versions but obviously they're never used anymore thanks to these releases. Hopefully Disney will fulfil the rumours of a BluRay release of them.

Hopefully Disney will fulfil the rumours of a BluRay release of them.

Are there any real serious rumors? We don't know if that release is physically possible. The negatives, supposedly already in dirty, poor condition when taken out to make the '97 release, might've been damaged so much in the making of the special editions that Lucasfilm might not be able to put together a theatrical edition (at least not one better than Harmy and Team Negative One have) even if George and 20th Century Fox (who still have the distribution rights for the OT and PT) okay'ed it. I believe the current Blu-rays are in fact sourced from the negatives, the 2004 cut.

Are there any real serious rumors? We don't know if that release is physically possible. The negatives, supposedly already in dirty, poor condition when taken out to make the '97 release, might've been damaged so much in the making of the special editions that Lucasfilm might not be able to put together a theatrical edition (at least not one better than Harmy and Team Negative One have) even if George and 20th Century Fox (who still have the distribution rights for the OT and PT) okay'ed it. I believe the current Blu-rays are in fact sourced from the negatives, the 2004 cut.

True. It's such a shame that something with the cultural importance of the OT could be in such a position. I'd think that from a business standpoint Disney would obviously try to maximise their investment in the SW franchise in every way possible (and from my hope that would include the theatrical release of the original OT). Maybe, in the same way as AFOL's are within Lego's own demographic, those that want a Blu-ray release of the theatrical releases are in such a minority whereas the special edition Blu-ray will be fine for 99% of the general disc buying public.

Alden Ehrenreich has signed on for three Han Solo movies....

I'm sensing Disney has seen how successful Star Trek was with casting the new movies and thought, hey if they can do that with Captain Kirk why not Han Solo?

While it works for Star Trek because they got incredibly lucky with their casting (Any complaint about nutrek aside, the cast is excellent!) i'm a little more worried about Han.

Edited by Forresto

Wow, Brickdoctor, that's a good read on all the various sourced versions of the movie. I had always heard that the original material was essentially lost to the ages, but didn't really know that other individuals were trying to source it all together on their own. I agree that if Disney were to release a "theatrical version" that it would not be totally true and would probably include some extras and the disclaimer that it would be vaulted in order to get people to buy it.

As for Han, I've always been thinking that with the addition of a "young Solo" movie that it will only be a matter of time until we get the whole cast in "young" form for movies that take place during the OT. Very much like what they've done with the recent comic book series that takes place between ANH and ESB. The Star Trek reboot has pulled it off very well and we know comic book movies rotate out actors who play certain characters all the time. I think the general audience is ready for the OT characters to be recast.

I agree that if Disney were to release a "theatrical version" that it would not be totally true and would probably include some extras and the disclaimer that it would be vaulted in order to get people to buy it.

Honestly, if I were Disney, I wouldn't release them. They've made it very clear over the past few years that this is a new canon, that it's time to move on from all the old stories, that the only things remaining canon would be ongoing projects and the work George did. They've tried very hard to present a new, unified storyline with one definitive version of events that don't conflict. Why should they put significant restoration work into releasing a different version of the films when the majority of people probably don't know or don't care about the changes and George would disapprove? It's not as if they don't make a ton of money on the current version of the films and their other merchandise.