Oky

Star Wars

On 5/28/2018 at 3:29 PM, Oky said:

Relax, dude, it's just a generalized expression. I'm sure there are people out there that did want to see a Han Solo movie and that's fine, but if you're so sick of hearing people say they didn't, then clearly many fans (if not most) don't care about Han's origins. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter how exactly he met Lando and Chewie or how he made the Kessel run or whatever. We know that he did, and that's all we need to know to understand his character, so unless the movie tells us something significant about him that we didn't know before, there is no point in this movie existing other than for the audience to kill a few hours and for Disney to make money. Again, I haven't seen the movie, so I could be wrong, but from the reviews I've seen, there don't seem to be any big revelations about Han's character that justify this movie's existence.

If you are one of the people who wanted to see this film and were satisfied by it, great. But don't go attacking others who aren't. It is this kind of hateful responses from people defending the latest movies that helped those of us who didn't enjoy them get embittered towards this franchise and the rest of the fandom. Are we not allowed to have critical thoughts and our own opinion? Can't we have a civilized conversation about this franchise that we're all passionate about without calling names or throwing around nonsensical phrases like "no one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans?"

I'm not sure if you are correct about your assumptions about what fans want. Perhaps this is what people who liked TFA, but didn't like TLJ wanted, but for someone like me who didn't like either, this is exactly the opposite of what I want. That's precisely what I didn't like about TFA, that it was just a poor reenactment of ANH. TLJ tried to break free of that mold, but in my humble opinion it failed because Rey and Kylo still act just like Luke and Vader while Luke himself didn't act like himself at all. But that's just my opinion.

I think your missing Forresto dude and need to relax yourself.  You just attacked someone else's opinion.  I think he was trying to say that there are people who wanted to see how Han met Chewie and got the falcon.  Its ok to have opinions, everyones got them.  I think he's tired of all the negativity on these forums sometimes.  I go to the movies with my kids to enjoy a couple hours away from all the bull*hit that happens in this world.  Just to get away from reality for a little while and try enjoy something fun.  Which Solo in my opinion was fun to watch.  Sure I could be a critical ***hole and critique every scene but i don't have that kind of time.  I think if people would just open their minds a little and have fun with the Star Wars franchise they would enjoy it more instead of being so critical and hypersensitive about every little nuance they don't like.  But whatever that's just my opinion.  

Solo? It's about Han and how he met Chewie and Lando and got the Falcon. I don't know anything about retelling.

5 minutes ago, Error404 said:

Solo? It's about Han and how he met Chewie and Lando and got the Falcon. I don't know anything about retelling.

Retelling as in basically what happened in the older movies but alright. I'll still watch it.

Solo is set like 10 years before ANH. I guess you could call it retelling since it shows things we've heard about in ep 4-6, the above-mentioned stuff, but it's not a retelling of anything that happened in ep 4-6.

I say good idea, I think it's a good movie.

On 30-5-2018 at 1:14 AM, Vindicare said:

Hide contents

tThe mention that Beckett killed Auurra Sing, then having Maul show up. I guess it all took place after Ep. 1. Age wise it seems like it doesn’t line up.

Lucasfilm confirmed last week (on Twitter) the movie takes place 10 years before ANH, so it lines up pretty well.

I saw Solo. It was... okay.

I'm glad it wasn't disastrous and terrible like the prequels and episode 8. After Episode 8 was so bad it was almost refreshing to have an average Star Wars movie... which is kind of sad...

I really wished the movie did not look like utter crap in my movie theatre; it was a blurry dark mess.

I enoyed the movie aside from that; alden ehrenreich did a better take on Solo than Glover did on Lando which really took me by surprise. He was really fun to watch. Chewie being actually relevant was also great, he hasn't been since 1984.

Aside from the cinetography, I really thought that L3 was the biggest pile of dog crap to grace a star wars movie since Jar-Jar Binks. What a painfull character...

Not sure where to post this, but maybe this section will be relevant as its STAR WARS related and LEGO related.

I watch videos on YouTube from ComicArtistPro Secrets and usually i agree with  uncle Ethan, but this one triggered me a bit.

Its kind of a review for TLJ set 75200 Ach-to Island and hes complaining about the set for what it represents - which is absolutely fine as we all know that 50% of SW fandom dislikes the movie, but at the end of his "review" he throws the set into the garbage can, also the extra parts as to him its garbage - not a bonus free lego (as to all of us Lego fans)

You can read my reaction as a Lego fan to this video when searching for "Ondrej M" comment beginning with " I see u are totally not a LEGO fan: ", if you agree with that comment , you can like it to make it visible for the video viewers/audience

If you agree that lego should not be thrown into garbage bin when a set is not good because the source is bad, then please give that video a Dislike (it started at 1200 likes to 29 dislikes at 10 181 views).

Im sharing this appeal to LEGO fan sites / forums i visit to see if we can correct the Like/Dislike ratio of this particular video to show our displease with wastefully trowing lego into garbage just because a movie was terrible and stealing the change of getting this set to a child for 50% or more discount (thats what is happening to a bad lego set)

The video itself

8 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

Not sure where to post this, but maybe this section will be relevant as its STAR WARS related and LEGO related.

I watch videos on YouTube from ComicArtistPro Secrets and usually i agree with  uncle Ethan, but this one triggered me a bit.

Its kind of a review for TLJ set 75200 Ach-to Island and hes complaining about the set for what it represents - which is absolutely fine as we all know that 50% of SW fandom dislikes the movie, but at the end of his "review" he throws the set into the garbage can, also the extra parts as to him its garbage - not a bonus free lego (as to all of us Lego fans)

You can read my reaction as a Lego fan to this video when searching for "Ondrej M" comment beginning with " I see u are totally not a LEGO fan: ", if you agree with that comment , you can like it to make it visible for the video viewers/audience

If you agree that lego should not be thrown into garbage bin when a set is not good because the source is bad, then please give that video a Dislike (it started at 1200 likes to 29 dislikes at 10 181 views).

Im sharing this appeal to LEGO fan sites / forums i visit to see if we can correct the Like/Dislike ratio of this particular video to show our displease with wastefully trowing lego into garbage just because a movie was terrible and stealing the change of getting this set to a child for 50% or more discount (thats what is happening to a bad lego set)

The video itself...

I agree with his feelings on the sets and movie.  I disagree with some words he used, and his throwing of LEGO into the garbage.

I mean he paid for the set; he's free of voicing his opinion and do whatever he wants with what he bought.

I really, really am not a fan of TLJ ( or this new trilogy as a whole ) but I'm not on the hate bandwagon that spawned an industry of 20 youtube channels dedicated on spewing crap on it 24/7 either. 

The mature thing would have been to simply give this to a small kid that would have plenty of fun with it; but you gotta be edgy to get those youtube clicks so here we are with this video. I wouldn't mind if someone started a bonfire with the First Order AT-ST though :grin:

@STARHAWK This guy is clearly just being overly dramatic for entertainment and judging by the comments, this is not the first time he has thrown a toy away in his videos. This is nothing to get worked up about or uncommon for a YouTube video. He's just being edgy to get views and by pointing everyone to the video, you're just giving him what he wants. At the time of this writing, the video has 1.6k likes and only 44 dislikes, so at this rate I don't think you're gonna achieve your goal anyway.

That said, the video was indeed unpleasant to watch, even for someone like me who didn't like the movie and the sets either, He is clearly trying to be funny, whether he means what he says or not, but it just comes across as super whiny, and seeing a Lego set getting thrown away and stomped on is painful, even if he was just acting.

1 hour ago, RetroInferno said:

I wouldn't mind if someone started a bonfire with the First Order AT-ST though :grin:

:roflmao:

So I put in the time to watch TFA and TLJ back-to-back to see if my opinion changes, and discovered that its pretty shocking how many people like TFA over TLJ, in comparison its just a bunch of big action scenes sequences glued together by a very thinly written plot, the worst part being where chunks of the third act feel almost ad-libbed. But, there is almost nothing to complain about scene by scene in the movie because very little story happens, however I did not realize how fantastic Kylo Ren's development is in TLJ, he feels criminally underdevelopment in TFA. I did in the end however come out of the process appreciating both films equally. TFA has fantastic editing that works with JJ's camerawork, and the characters are engaging, but the film is so much lighter in comparison to TLJ which is an incredibly heavy film which intense personal journeys. While I did not come out of TLJ the first time with the experience of feeling like there was too much Star Wars or the franchise felt cut off by the film as others argued as a sign of its flaws, I did feel overwhelmed. I've also heard others say the film has a lot to process, because although the character development is set up well, close to the 2 hour mark where most SW films end TLJ plot gets really dense, with back-to-back character turns/developments that are complex but setup and justified, which ultimate build to the final act when Luke becomes the only hope. Consequentially I think the film could have given these moments more space because the director's thinking is really established all at once, but otherwise a lot of the character development is powerful and the writing is significantly better in TLJ over TFA, yet it works amazingly smoothly transitioning from TFA to TLJ. Of note is how Hux develops makes ense, as his first encounter with the Resistance directly is with Poe in TLJ and you see his ego crack. The films work well together, but as TLJ moves away from simple action sequences it becomes a whole new thing to the benefit of the story. Another element that became clear in rewatching TLJ by itself is that the Resistance was far more interesting, and its clear from the start and Holdo's speech that their escape plan is to use up all the fuel to get to Crait as closely as possible before switching to the escape ships, and with many defectors already such a fuel wasting plan that abandons the hyperspace-enabled fleet would certainly be kept on the down low to prevent an internal rebellion like Poe's. Since the First Order expects them to have no where to escape in the middle of space it mostly follows that they would not check for such an escape plan using ships without hyperspace with the fleet staying on course. So I feel most people discuss that scene ignoring that Finn and Roses and Poe's plan is to make them free to do  risky hyperspace jump to the outer rim and hope they get to allies in time, whereas the Crait mission was less risky.

Also, Disney is putting the spin-offs on hold:

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

Edited by the last chronicler

On 6/19/2018 at 4:57 AM, RetroInferno said:

I mean he paid for the set; he's free of voicing his opinion and do whatever he wants with what he bought.

I really, really am not a fan of TLJ ( or this new trilogy as a whole ) but I'm not on the hate bandwagon that spawned an industry of 20 youtube channels dedicated on spewing crap on it 24/7 either. 

The mature thing would have been to simply give this to a small kid that would have plenty of fun with it; but you gotta be edgy to get those youtube clicks so here we are with this video. I wouldn't mind if someone started a bonfire with the First Order AT-ST though :grin:

If i pay for gasoline, can i pour it into a river ? I dont think so.

Yes i would expect a disclaimer that no lego was harmed during the shooting and it was given to a poor child with no instructions to avoid reconstruction of the TLJ abomination :)

Just wanted to give an oppinion from a LEGO fan perspective but my lengthy comment is lost in the waste amount of coments under that video with minimum likes so it wont be seen be other viewers of the video - well the problem with comments under YT, if u dont get likes pretty fast then your comment is lost , no meter how good.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:33 AM, Oky said:

@STARHAWK  At the time of this writing, the video has 1.6k likes and only 44 dislikes, so at this rate I don't think you're gonna achieve your goal anyway.

I normally like all his other video reactions on SW shill sites. Only this one got me a bit triggered as lego has the advantage to be reused unlike the tons of Tiko toys which will end up as plastic garbage.

Unfortunately yes, i dont have the ability to call on subscribers to back me up. Seems that the bast way to react to a YT vid is by making a YT reaction/followup vid, but im not a youtuber :)

I just tried to ask at few places of fellow Lego collectors and it didnt worked.

Billy Dee Williams is returning as Lando for episode IX

Planned move or desperate attempt to bring back old fans?

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Billy Dee Williams is returning as Lando for episode IX

Planned move or desperate attempt to bring back old fans?

Somewhere in between.  The people in charge of Star Wars aren't going to change their vision for the Episodes, they don't care if people didn't like Episode VIII.

It may have been planned all along, but I feel it was done to bring in another member of the old guard in Leia's absence.  Episode IX was supposed to be about Leia, and those pans had to change because of Carrie Fisher's passing.  So since they stupidly killed off Luke in the last one, they need another Original Trilogy character to take that place.  Lando is the next logical step, and with Solo bolstering that character, it's an easy choice.

Let's hope it pays off.  I'll find out whenever Episode IX is available online.

7 hours ago, x105Black said:

Somewhere in between.  The people in charge of Star Wars aren't going to change their vision for the Episodes, they don't care if people didn't like Episode VIII.

There was/is no vision, that’s the whole problem. JJ aided by Kasdan put down a dumb nostalgia-fueled “mystery box” vision in Force Awakens, they might have had a vision of where that goes which was swiftly scrapped by Rian Johnson in favour of his “every twist possible in your face” vision, and now JJ is back to somehow finish off a “trilogy” that hasn’t been building towards anything nor feels ready at all to be concluded.

In their infinite wisdom the Lucasfilm head honchos have seemingly had no vision and let the filmmakers keep the OT cast apart, so now Lando is coming in but wouldn’t it have made more sense for Lando to show up in the Last Jedi since he’d heard that his old buddy old pal Han had gotten offed by his son? Or does Lando just not give a rat’s ass about anyone anymore either. “Yeah I heard Han died, terribly sad about it but I was in the middle of swindling people for a while so whatever.”

4 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

There was/is no vision, that’s the whole problem. JJ aided by Kasdan put down a dumb nostalgia-fueled “mystery box” vision in Force Awakens, they might have had a vision of where that goes which was swiftly scrapped by Rian Johnson in favour of his “every twist possible in your face” vision, and now JJ is back to somehow finish off a “trilogy” that hasn’t been building towards anything nor feels ready at all to be concluded.

In their infinite wisdom the Lucasfilm head honchos have seemingly had no vision and let the filmmakers keep the OT cast apart, so now Lando is coming in but wouldn’t it have made more sense for Lando to show up in the Last Jedi since he’d heard that his old buddy old pal Han had gotten offed by his son? Or does Lando just not give a rat’s megablocks about anyone anymore either. “Yeah I heard Han died, terribly sad about it but I was in the middle of swindling people for a while so whatever.”

Thank you.  That's what I really wanted to say.  I actually liked the Force Awakens, but the mystery box only works when the contents are satisfying, and in The Last Jedi they were not.

Well, TLJ picks up right after TFA ends, the news of Han's death would have had to travel at lightspeed to have Lando hear it, consider what to do and come to the Resistance's aid all within what seems like one day. Leia could of course have contacted him, or someone else have done so, but I feel that Lando suddenly showing up in TLJ would have made sense if there was maybe a week in between ep 7 and 8.

I feel that having him show up in 9 is more logical when they didn't do it in ep 7.

3 hours ago, Error404 said:

Well, TLJ picks up right after TFA ends, the news of Han's death would have had to travel at lightspeed to have Lando hear it, consider what to do and come to the Resistance's aid all within what seems like one day. Leia could of course have contacted him, or someone else have done so, but I feel that Lando suddenly showing up in TLJ would have made sense if there was maybe a week in between ep 7 and 8.

I feel that having him show up in 9 is more logical when they didn't do it in ep 7.

You've got me there. I had honestly forgotten that Last Jedi picks up right after Force Awakens when I wrote that comment. That being the case it does make more sense for Lando to appear in Episode 9 (depending on how they handle it), but my other comments about there being no vision and keeping the OT characters apart still stand.

I do agree with you to a certain degree. I didn't mind the direction 7 took, ep 4 rehearsh or not, but whatever JJ Abrams built up felt kinda abandoned by Rian Johnson for the most part.
There's not really many things I feel were really bad or shouldn't have been there, but there's a few.

Mainly, the few things I didn't see the point with are

The fight Maz was involved in when Poe and co. talking to her. It seemed to be a thing only for comic relief and didn't fit in. This could have been a good point for Lando to make a cameo, he's a (former at the very least) gambler who could know or know of the master code breaker.
The whole Luke arc with him having lost all hope and just awaiting his death on Ahch-To, not to mention that apparently neither Yoda, Obi-Wan or Anakin tried to contact him to make him see why letting the Jedi end would be a mistake. They could have tried, but his reaction to Yoda showing up made it seem like it was the first time he had seen him for years.
Then there's the fact they had Luke sacrifice himself using the Force to trick Kylo into thinking he was there when he wasn't, while keeping Leia alive even though Carrie Fisher is dead and they apparently don't want to recast Leia or CGI Carrie and the only apparent choice is to have Leia die off-screen between 8 and 9, which is an end she doesn't deserve.

It's almost like it would have been better for the continuity if they let JJ direct the entire trilogy.
I'm not really ranting, cos I accept TLJ for what it is even though I would have done the mentioned things differently.

I'll still watch 9 to see how they solve things.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, Error404 said:

Then there's the fact they had Luke sacrifice himself using the Force to trick Kylo into thinking he was there when he wasn't, while keeping Leia alive even though Carrie Fisher is dead and they apparently don't want to recast Leia or CGI Carrie and the only apparent choice is to have Leia die off-screen between 8 and 9, which is an end she doesn't deserve.

It's almost like it would have been better for the continuity if they let JJ direct the entire trilogy.

That was really the worst point for me, and I agree that JJ should maybe have done the whole thing.  But JJ was reluctant to do more than one in fear of Prequel level backlash, so I understand why they chose someone else.  I'm just not sure why they chose Johnson, and then decided to give him an entire trilogy afterwards to pursue his terrible ideas.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:53 AM, Error404 said:

The whole Luke arc with him having lost all hope and just awaiting his death on Ahch-To, not to mention that apparently neither Yoda, Obi-Wan or Anakin tried to contact him to make him see why letting the Jedi end would be a mistake. They could have tried, but his reaction to Yoda showing up made it seem like it was the first time he had seen him for years.

Luke was closed off from the Force and therefore the past Jedi, you watched the movie right? Anyways, all these are just fan rewrites to eliminate the conflict which makes the story, as in you literally destroy the story, the reason people go see a movie. Even saying Luke should have lived and Leia should have died fundamentally undercuts the narrative and themes of the film for the sake of fan peace of mind. I get that fans are upset that they lost closure because of the death of a real person causes trouble for a franchise, but seriously, to alter the scenes Carrie filmed for TLJ actually does a disservice to her as an actor as well as the filmmaker's work (yeah Rian Johnson).

Besides, Leia's absence or death could drive the IX story, and therefore Kylo Ren, the same way Luke's disappearance does in TFA. Her role becomes symbolic, plus now Kylo goes from the haunting failure of the trio's legacy to being the last Skywalker, which could have dramatic narrative value.

Personally, I think fans wanted a clear and safe map for this trilogy as soon as TFA ended with the Empire-type separation of the heroes, but TLJ continues the story and themes pretty naturally despite not being ESB, which I think upsets people who did not want the franchise to say something new but play within the previous box. TFA does that well, but like ANH it was meant to be light fare in response to an era of negativity, (TFA fixes the franchise, ANH was a response to the previous pessimistic decade in American society), but TLJ introduces a sense of authorship from Rian Johnson the matches the creative spirit of the original while depicting a genuine struggle like ESB. I think fans wanted the scope and Hollywood sheen of ESB which made it famous, but not a story with actually originality. In that case TFA is still the ESB successor you're looking for.

On that note, it is insane to think JJ's Luke was different from Rian's.  If that where true, why did Rey need to show up with the Skywalker saber, why was she holding it up to Luke? "Oh hey, thanks for bringing that lightsaber I lost 30 years ago, the one the represents my family's failure and ultimately the Jedi ideology (which could not stop my family's failure), but that does not matter, I was wondering what happened to it. Now where was I? Oh yeah missing for 5 years but now I can stab people with 2 lightsabers instead of one!" If he joined her, not only would in not follow any logic whatsoever, but if Luke agreed with Rey that her experiences in TFA of the struggles of the OT returning means the galaxy needs Luke again, then that would literally make them the same character. Rey just a stand-in for Luke's journey in TFA because Hamill was too old and too frozen iconically on that cliff edge to star.

I can pretty much argue against all major TLJ complaints because they are strawman logic created after the fact to justify fans hating that they didn't get the film they wanted, complaints found and spread in discussion boards by people who saw the film once and had a negative or confusing response to a dense and layered (but straightforward) film. They missed some detail or were told some detail was missing that was not, then tried to blame their dislike on the story being haphazardly written rather than their ability to pay attention (innocent ignorance) and accepting the story they were given.

Edited by the last chronicler