Oky

Star Wars

I am on the lookout on all the stuff that they post about the Solo movie and a few moments ago I saw this...

... when Chewie sat down on the chair and Han looked at him, it brought a tear to my eye, dont ask me why, but those few seconds made me so emotional. I have a really good feeling about this movie, it really looks like its going to be a movie, that I will like.

30 minutes ago, Daimar said:

I have a really good feeling about this movie, it really looks like its going to be a movie, that I will like.

Me too, but I felt the same way about The Last Jedi...

On 04/05/2018 at 11:18 AM, x105Black said:

Me too, but I felt the same way about The Last Jedi...

I liked the Last Jedi, but certainly not in the way I was expecting to. If anything it taught me to be a little more critical in my expectations for Star Wars movies, which has made me a bit cynical about Solo. I still have average hopes for it though.

I think if people can get past the fact that Han is not being played by Harrison Ford which was never going to happen so I don't get all the whining about that.  I'm going to give it a shot.  I'm going to take my kids when it comes out.  I want to see how he meets Chewie and how some other plot lines of the movie play out.  I also didn't think The Last Jedi  was that bad.  Being a life long Star Wars fan I think it will be a fun film to watch.  I haven't given up on Star Wars like some people have just because they don't agree with what Rian Johnson did with the Last Jedi.  

Got my ticket for Friday night!

I'm excited. 

Thoughts are with Ron Howard and all the human beings involved with the production and hope they can ignore the massive surge of vitriol and hate they're about to get in twenty four hours.

Edited by Forresto

Some thoughts after watching Solo: A Star Wars Story in relation to the Lego Sets (Spoilers!!!):

Spoiler
  • Nice allusion to bring out the Darth Maul Buildable Figure at the same time as the solo sets.
  • Why did Lego nearly only make Sets of the first half of the movie?
  • And: Why did they make a TIE-Set? We´ve got one only 2.5 years ago and the TIE only appears for about two minutes in the whole movie.

And: I can only recommend this film, there is a lot more in it than I expected.

Edited by Praetorian_Guard

Yeah, I watched it on Wednesday and I like it. I have no doubt some people probably will dislike it or even hate it, but I like it for what it is.

Alden Ehrenreich does a good job as Han Solo. it's obviously not the same as seeing young Harrison Ford in the originals, but I think he did a good job, I can easily accept his version of Han.

Boba Fett movie is a big mistake, there needs to be a Solo sequel. We don't quite end off with the Solo of A New Hope so there's room for his life to get worse. 

I loved it.

Alden and Glover are exceptional in their roles.

References are perfect. Some might say its overly fan sevicecy but it's leagues beyond almost any Star Wars book in subtlety, even the exceptional Thrawn trilogy. 

There are definitely rough spots, some terribly written lines, and moments that are too on the nose but while these moments stick out badly they don't overwhelm the great moments.

Go see it.

Edited by Forresto

Solo is really entertaining, despite a few really eye-roll-worthy moments and overall bad pacing. Alden Ehrenreich did a great job as Han, and Lando and Chewie pretty much steal the movie. The fanservice is there but not overly intrusive most of the time, unlike Rogue One (which is much worse than this, in my opinion). I absolutely love that Lando has an entire large closet just full of capes.

Spoiler

All the LEGO sets except the Falcon are from the first half hour of the movie, which is weird, and the TIE Fighter is barely in it. They could also have made a Star Destroyer or AT-ST just because they get about as much screen time in this thing as any form of TIE does- as for other sets, an AT-Hauler with a couple of Enfys Nest's speeders and crew would be neat, maybe a small playset of the climax in Paul Bettany's yacht, but a lot of the locations in Solo really do not lend themselves to LEGO sets well at all and aside from the hauler there's no other new vehicle designs.

It seems Solo isn't doing as well are expected. Forbes even called Solo's performace at the box office "disapointing".

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/26/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-earns-disappointing-36m-friday/&refURL=https://www.google.com/&referrer=https://www.google.com/

Why is this happening?

Is there a fatigue of the Star Wars brand overall? Or fans are not happy with the new trilogy? 

What do you think about the new Boba Fett film and the rumored Princess Leia movie?

Do you think Mr. Mouse is going to snap his fingers on Kathleen Kennedy?

Because Disney just had a huge campaign a few weeks ago about how impressive the tickets pre-sales were. Even doubling those for Black Panther they said. Yeah... sure :innocent:

Well, they have released one Star Wars movie a year since 2015 and Solo premiered less than half a year after TLJ. It could very well be that most people and even some SW fans are getting oversaturated.

Personally I don't really care if they make one a year as long as the movie is good and I have yet to actually be disappointed.
I guess some people in the case of Solo might not like to see Han played by someone other than Harrison Ford and it might take some time to get used to another face in the role of the iconic Han Solo.

Oversaturation of SW is probably part of the reason as well as the mentioned case with a new face with the name Han Solo right now.

I don't think oversaturation is as big a deal as some are saying, though it's definitely a factor.  I think the biggest reason that Solo hasn't performed as well as expected is the disappointment with The Last Jedi.  I know that's the reason for me.

I'd like to see it, but I'm not going to be paying money to do so.  And the same goes for future Star Wars films (with the exception of Johnson's trilogy, I have no interest in that).

I saw the movie yesterday and am verry pleased with it.

Spoiler

Its sad, that they didnt show, why exactly Han was kicked out of the flight-academy. They will probably show it in some comics, but I still think it would be important to see more about that matter, since this is a Han Solo "biopic". 

It was also cool to see Maul again, that alone gives me high hopes for a Solo sequel.

The music was also great, they used the right mixture of new and old (familiar) tunes.

All in all, Solo is an awesome blockbuster based on the Star Wars universe, and thats all that matters to me. 

Screen Rant - Solo's U.S. Opening Weekend Lower Than Justice League 

Box Office Mojo reports that Solo: A Star Wars Story's 3-day weekend opening coming in at just $83.3 million domestically. That's the lowest nationwide opening in the entire franchise, adjuted for ticket price inflation, of course. It isn't even in the same ballpark as Disney's other major releases of the year and it came in so far below expectations that Justice League managed to earn more money in its first weekend with $93.8 million.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

17 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It seems Solo isn't doing as well are expected. Forbes even called Solo's performace at the box office "disapointing". SNIP

Why is this happening?

Is there a fatigue of the Star Wars brand overall? Or fans are not happy with the new trilogy? 

What do you think about the new Boba Fett film and the rumored Princess Leia movie?

Do you think Mr. Mouse is going to snap his fingers on Kathleen Kennedy?

Because Disney just had a huge campaign a few weeks ago about how impressive the tickets pre-sales were. Even doubling those for Black Panther they said. Yeah... sure :innocent:

Not surprising at all. For me, it's a bit of both. To say that I've been disappointed with the new trilogy as well as Rogue One would be an understatement and I'm clearly not the only one. Disney has been massively mishandling the franchise from the start in my opinion as they're playing it too safe for the most part by rehashing stories and characters we already know and pumping out too many of these movies. It's quantity over quality and no respect to the fans in favor of making money. If they want to make a bunch of "Star Wars Stories", at least they could make ones that people actually want to see and tell us NEW stories instead of what we pretty much already know. The fact that the Lego sets keep being rehashes for the most part too doesn't help.

I have not seen Solo and have no interest to do so until it comes to Netflix or TV and morbid curiosity gets the better of me, but from what I hear it's just an average heist movie in the SW universe with a bunch of fan service and little to no surprises, and that's arguably the worst thing you could do to a franchise like SW - to make it mediocre and pandering. TLJ was bad, but at least it tried to take risks. No one asked for a Han Solo movie, especially not one without Ford, and no one cares how he met Chewie and Lando or how he did the Kessel run, etc., so I think Solo probably would have been received better if it wasn't about Han & friends at all and instead featured a completely new crew of smugglers with an original story.

I'm not excited at all for the Boba Fett movie (that character has always been overhyped anyway). The only "solo" movies that I'd be somewhat interested to see would be an Obi-Wan or a Darth Maul movie with the original actors reprising their roles from the prequels, but aside from those, I just want them to tell stories that are completely unconnected to the main series.

At this point, I think it might be best if the Mouse pulls a Thanos on Kathleen Kennedy and replaces her with someone who actually understands what makes Star Wars so great and that if they want this franchise to be successful in the long term, they need to slow down and tell good, original stories. Hopefully the poor performance of Solo will give them the motivation they need to start course-correcting.

1 hour ago, Space Police XVIII said:

Excellent news.

Well, if this somehow does result in more breathing room for you-know-what... :wink:

Solo was fantastic. It redeems Han Solo and gives Lucas a big middle finger for the special editions.  

Its fascinating how over blown and exaggerated the hate its receiving is as well.

Most people i've read or talked to or watched reviews of at worst enjoyed it. This is the only forum i'm part of that is so down on it and the franchise in general. 

1 hour ago, Oky said:

No one asked for a Han Solo movie, especially not one without Ford, and no one cares how he met Chewie and Lando or how he did the Kessel run, etc., so I think Solo probably would have been received better if it wasn't about Han & friends at all and instead featured a completely new crew of smugglers with an original story.

I am so sick and tired of this argument. 

At best its ridiculous given nobody asked for Star Wars before 1977 or any other great work of art, at worst it comes off as extraordinarily entitled. 

Just because you don't care to know how Han and Chewie met for example, doesn't mean other people aren't curious or want to know.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I imagine the boycott of fans rating it 1.6 on IMDB in droves from their anger over the Last Jedi had nothing to do with it.

God no one hates Star Wars more then Star Wars fans. 

Edited by Forresto

Solo proves that there is one thing Star Wars fans want more than a new safe nostalgic Star Wars film, and it's no new Star Wars film. 

The bipolar reaction and gatekeeping created by the fanatics that make up the base audience left willing to discuss the franchise in light of the mixed response for or against the prequels became a cynical audience more focused on establishing a 'true Star Wars' based on the stuff they like in specific movies rather than open to new ideas to expand the franchise, universe and viewership. Stuff like Canto Bight (which has more narrative attention and depth given than let's say Maz's castle or  the 50s bar in clones) would have been received just as well and taken at face value like the Cantina or Bespin, if had TLJ been released in the 70s. Some don't want a Star Wars film that has a stronger and clearer opinion on Star Wars than them. George Lucas risked putting his political thoughts in the prequels, but the trilogy failed to have theme or driven characters changed by events, and that's why they feel more shallow than the classics: Lucas protecting the validity of his ideas undercutting the film's truthfulness and humanity. Rian Johnsons web was a complex play of themes from all the previous films to make a story about living with your mistakes, and a story that is not always delightful but sometimes uncomfortable or confusing and not about simple narratives. The film lets the irony and the insecurities of Star Wars exist, and that makes it a far more raw film that captures the wide emotions of original films but does not let it get defined by millennial-friendly coolness or grittiness of action-adventure which made TFA end so darkly. Both TFA and TLJ drove a fan hatred that's finally bubbled up, that of new film's that simply don't exist to calcify and validate previous films or the OT. Both films are internally coherent plots that are well-scripted and resolve what they establish (with TFA Luke an exception), thereby not undercutting there own narrative but introducing plot choices or twists that mainly create difficulty for the next film's plot. It is easy to say TLJ does not fit TFA, but both are visions that obscure OT plot threads and introduce their own, and both build on what it means for Kylo Ren as the Skywalker and Jedi legacy. Fans need to stop demanding films that are wooliepedia readouts and start realizing you can't compare the previous trilogies that have been filled in and justified by decades of media with new film's that are made with just as little context as the originals when they were first new. Empire especially is a perfect example of film that was not orinally intended as penultimate, and focuses on a very small sector of the universe before Return expanded the scope to resolve the war in one film. If fans tried to write ESB from ANH the same way they wanted TLJ from TFA, you could never have predicted the events of ESB because they are not that connected. Yoda, Lando could not exist, many force powers would not exist, Vader could not be Luke's father ("but Anakin as a Jedi is what makes Luke the hero!"). ESB starts in danger, Luke only uses a light saber in a fight in the end and his only life experience is playing with womp rats never having needed survival skills. Obi Wan ghost just sort of happens. Don't forget Luke's choice to save his friends and why it was wrong is skipped over thematically by RotJ.

TLDR (not really , but sort of an important eureka summary): Fans liked TFA and assumed much about it sequels because they used the OT as a template for the morality and ideas of the new trilogy. "Why is Rey the protagonist/hero? Because she's like Luke! (Or negatively, she's just not Luke, she's weak (or female ewww) hasn't earned being the hero!) In VIII we'll get her with Luke, she'll be with Luke and they'll team up and fight evil and Luke will be back! Heck, she might even be Luke's daughter and this will all be about Luke, who is the only real Star Wars hero! And Kylo, he wants to be Vader, that's what makes him evil! Heck he'll even become Vader, Snoke might even be Darth Plagueis, the super-evil super-Emperor who created Darth Vader (Then he's a super-evil-dad like Anakin too!) and now he molded Kylo Ren, he's the Final Boss! Genius, it really is Star Wars(TM)!"

So, Fans (or a specific subset) wanted the characters to play-act out the OT, playing dress-up to reenact like a school play their favorite parts and characters of the original films, because that is what they think makes the characters good or evil. Rian Johnson stripped all the window dressing away: Kylo Ren isn't evil because he wants to be Vader, he's evil because he wants to be somebody important, he wants to be alone and exceptional, and most importantly does not want to simply be himself: he was told the only way he could be special is to be alone. He wants to believe the world gave up on him so he can have the right to give up on it. Rey is the hero not because she is like Luke, but because she felt abandoned, and consequentially does not want anyone else to feel abandoned either. She is the heart and the light because she does not want Kylo Ren to feel abandoned either, and therefore is the best chance to save him. Rian Johnson gets to the soul of the characters and thereby finds the soul of the trilogy, and thereby the soul of Star Wars rather than using the classic trio as molds for some sort of Utopian ideal of humanity, he made a film about good and evil about the necessity and futility of needing people to lead and to give hope in society. The chosen one, Vader, Sith, Jedi, don't matter, they are just words given to actions of characters, they are the molds for the action figures. The "window dressing" is really just the medium for which moral choices travel within. If these ideas don't challenge our characters--or the audience--the idea that Kylo could be Vader or Rey could be Luke no longer matters: it is just plot stuffing. Plot and context (narrative structure) must always challenge our characters and get to the truth of their actions or it becomes simple window dressing, and in the case of the sequels if it does not challenge the audience to get new insights on this characters beyond the OT it is not a new story but a rehash. TFA used the OT as a mirror on the character's moral choices. TLJ's plot challenged the characters and got to the truth of their actions beyond the structures of the OT.

Edited by the last chronicler

17 hours ago, Forresto said:

Solo was fantastic. It redeems Han Solo and gives Lucas a big middle finger for the special editions.  

Its fascinating how over blown and exaggerated the hate its receiving is as well.

Most people i've read or talked to or watched reviews of at worst enjoyed it. This is the only forum i'm part of that is so down on it and the franchise in general. 

I am so sick and tired of this argument. 

At best its ridiculous given nobody asked for Star Wars before 1977 or any other great work of art, at worst it comes off as extraordinarily entitled. 

Just because you don't care to know how Han and Chewie met for example, doesn't mean other people aren't curious or want to know.

I imagine the boycott of fans rating it 1.6 on IMDB in droves from their anger over the Last Jedi had nothing to do with it.

Relax, dude, it's just a generalized expression. I'm sure there are people out there that did want to see a Han Solo movie and that's fine, but if you're so sick of hearing people say they didn't, then clearly many fans (if not most) don't care about Han's origins. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter how exactly he met Lando and Chewie or how he made the Kessel run or whatever. We know that he did, and that's all we need to know to understand his character, so unless the movie tells us something significant about him that we didn't know before, there is no point in this movie existing other than for the audience to kill a few hours and for Disney to make money. Again, I haven't seen the movie, so I could be wrong, but from the reviews I've seen, there don't seem to be any big revelations about Han's character that justify this movie's existence.

If you are one of the people who wanted to see this film and were satisfied by it, great. But don't go attacking others who aren't. It is this kind of hateful responses from people defending the latest movies that helped those of us who didn't enjoy them get embittered towards this franchise and the rest of the fandom. Are we not allowed to have critical thoughts and our own opinion? Can't we have a civilized conversation about this franchise that we're all passionate about without calling names or throwing around nonsensical phrases like "no one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans?"

16 hours ago, the last chronicler said:

Fans (or a specific subset) wanted the characters to play-act out the OT, playing dress-up to reenact like a school play their favorite parts and characters of the original films, because that is what they think makes the characters good or evil.

I'm not sure if you are correct about your assumptions about what fans want. Perhaps this is what people who liked TFA, but didn't like TLJ wanted, but for someone like me who didn't like either, this is exactly the opposite of what I want. That's precisely what I didn't like about TFA, that it was just a poor reenactment of ANH. TLJ tried to break free of that mold, but in my humble opinion it failed because Rey and Kylo still act just like Luke and Vader while Luke himself didn't act like himself at all. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure I'm correct about my assumptions either, and I think everyone has there own personal evaluations, but I do think the general mindset is not to have the status quo of Star Wars challenged. 

Personally, I think TFA is a weaker plotting of ANH, but it's B plot and heart was rebooting the themes and ideas of a franchise whose last fresh start was 16 years earlier in TPM but  ultimately irrelevant. TFA in particular wants to bring back the literal finding-your-place-in-the-universe  that is the story of ANH and Luke, rather than the 'oops now I'm a Jedi because I'm special' of TPM. TFA is Nostagic about the events of the OT the same way the OT was nostalgic about the Jedi and the Republic, which works since many who were in awe of the OT see it as a "Force" in their lives. In that sense, it is not poor recreation of ANH but a reflection on it, and with the fact it covers the themes of all 3 OT films (good within, inner darkness,  reconciliation with the father and the darkness)  and the struggle of these characters like Rey and Kylo to try and fit in the pre-existing world does give them a distinct evolution that is a engaging story. So to me much of TFA's rip offs are the surface nostalgia to get across new and old themes.

That's why TLJ Luke as a character works, he carries the legacy of his fathers darkness and has to deal with the Skywalker's as the only legacy of the Jedi. He's someone beaten down by the irony of his existence. The trilogy is uncovering it's ideas first expressed in the repressive Kylo and Rey's acceptance of the force.

58 minutes ago, the last chronicler said:

I'm not sure I'm correct about my assumptions either, and I think everyone has there own personal evaluations, but I do think the general mindset is not to have the status quo of Star Wars challenged. 

Personally, I think TFA is a weaker plotting of ANH, but it's B plot and heart was rebooting the themes and ideas of a franchise whose last fresh start was 16 years earlier in TPM but  ultimately irrelevant. TFA in particular wants to bring back the literal finding-your-place-in-the-universe  that is the story of ANH and Luke, rather than the 'oops now I'm a Jedi because I'm special' of TPM. TFA is Nostagic about the events of the OT the same way the OT was nostalgic about the Jedi and the Republic, which works since many who were in awe of the OT see it as a "Force" in their lives. In that sense, it is not poor recreation of ANH but a reflection on it, and with the fact it covers the themes of all 3 OT films (good within, inner darkness,  reconciliation with the father and the darkness)  and the struggle of these characters like Rey and Kylo to try and fit in the pre-existing world does give them a distinct evolution that is a engaging story. So to me much of TFA's rip offs are the surface nostalgia to get across new and old themes.

That's why TLJ Luke as a character works, he carries the legacy of his fathers darkness and has to deal with the Skywalker's as the only legacy of the Jedi. He's someone beaten down by the irony of his existence. The trilogy is uncovering it's ideas first expressed in the repressive Kylo and Rey's acceptance of the force.

I agree, though I still feel that Rey is a little too 'special' as well.  Still, I like her.  I just wanted more training.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, Forresto said:

No shit!  Statement of the year for Eurobricks!  Just look at the SW 2018 set discussion and you'll see...

Play nice people.  Can't call someone out for attacking when you make general statements about a topic, you know there is going to be someone in that general group.  And I'm one of them.

Spoiler

I wanted to see how Han met Chewie.

I was happy to see a Star Wars Heist movie where all of the main characters didn't die at the end.

I wanted to see the game where he won the Falcon.  In fact, I love the fact that he won it fair and square...TWICE!!!

We got to see Han burned by the love of his life, but he had a new best friend and they went off to roam the galaxy.

I thought it was amazing that he was actually part of the beginning of the rebellion!

I liked seeing Maul, as I was unsure the first time if I liked his appearance or not, but I enjoyed it more the second time I saw it.

WITHOUT A QUESTION, and in case there was any confusion for you young pups out there... HAN SHOOTS FIRST!!!

The social justice wasn't too bad, I felt it wasn't overpowering as it was mainly done by the droid, L3.

Modifications!!! L3 is part of the Falcon, no wonder it's such a badass ship! LEt alone when they drop the fuel into the reactor...oh yeah!

IF, and I say if, they go down the current route and "DISNEYFY", I think they will cut too many corners and the Boba Fett movie won't be the gritty, dirty movie it needs to be.  Should it be violent and harsh, yes.  Will it, probably not.  James Mangold is a great director, but it all depends on what Disney let's him do.

I liked it quite a lot. I was embarrassed by my dad & brother, as they just sat there like bumps on a log when they very clearly, :tongue:, should’ve been excited. 

It did get me thinking about timelines though. The mention that Beckett killed Auurra Sing, then having Maul show up. I guess it all took place after Ep. 1. Age wise it seems like it doesn’t line up. But that may just be me overthinking. 

As to my embarrassment at my family. When they spoke of going to Kessel, I was elated...they sat. When the Warwick Davis reveal happened, again....they sat. I digress.

When Chewie sat in the chair..*tear* When Beckett donned his disguise. There was so much to like.

I just saw Solo, I might have to see it when it's on Netflix where I am, go back with a fresh mind but...

it was boring, and it was mostly not enjoyable. Every scene felt weirdly contrived, characterization and tones changed in the middle of scenes, and so many of the scenes felt like rip offs of previous Star Wars films that do not work in the situations they are used in in this film. I liked the film once the goal became clear in the famous 'Run,' but before that it was just like someone said: "have them show up at a place that looks like something interesting will happen, and then have no tension, it's okay we will just have a lot of shooting and death." It felt like they read Rogue One and badly copied its formula, L3 a much weaker droid comedic foil.

I was thinking the film would prove the Star Wars charm or comedy was defined by Kasdan's writing of banter, but the film was mostly one liner quibs that were inconsistently funny and added up to nothing but trailer filler. I can see the film's inherent appeal narratively that would make people like it but the storytellers gave no reason to feel invested in it.

Also, while I personally had mixed feelings I think the film's lower than RO and usual Star Wars RT audience score shows that bombing has been a huge factor on a website where DC Universe films get high scores, and RO's critic and audience score somewhat naturally nearly match.