Oky

Star Wars

On 1/11/2017 at 1:37 AM, Error404 said:

Perhaps they will write Ep 9 in a way that has Kylo reaching the point where he finally understands why his grandfather did what he did and returned to the light side of the Force.

I hope they don't; the series has already had Anakin/Vader as a redemption character, Ren should remain the irredeemable villain. Also given his dedication to a false ideal and killing his father, I find it hard to believe anything could convince him to turn back.

Speaking of writing, I'm curious of how they will handle Carrie Fisher's death. Since the filming of Ep 8 was wrapped in July, I think they will either make some reshoots/editing if they decide to have Leia die in Ep 8 (if they didn't already do that) or write in an accident or attack that kills her in the beginning of Ep 9.

Old age is honestly the best course, in my opinion - the least controversial and probably the most respectful way to do it. CGI should really be left out of this as well, if there's a cliff hanger in Episode 8 that hinges on Leia's appearance in 9 (i.e. do it off-screen).

17 minutes ago, Young Leo said:

Official Lucasfilm/Disney release that CGI won't be used to recreate Carrie Fisher in Episode 9: http://www.starwars.com/news/a-statement-regarding-new-rumors

Thank god; let's hope they don't recast her either.

Well they already kind of did the CGI thing with her... But I am glad to know that they won't play that trick again with Episode 9. I think CGI makes sense for brief cameos or minor roles, such as what we saw in Rogue One. But unless the character is supposed to come off as alien, artificial, or otherworldly (Jar Jar Binks in the PT, Snoke in the Sequel Trilogy, Gollum in LOTR, Clu in Tron Legacy, etc.), I think using CGI for them for longer than a few minutes is bound to create problems.

I kind've think the best way to honor Carrie Fisher and her character of Princess/General Leia is to make Leia impact the arc of another character in a massive way. For example, and this is for example and not a theory, let's say Snoke causes Leia's death and it pushes Kylo Ren towards the light.

Leia should give another character a defining moment. 

If cgi was top notch and you would not be able tell the difference from live people then I would not have a problem with them using cgi. But as much as I want leia to be in future episodes I think they made the right choice and not cgi her.

We will always wonder what the story would have been like had Carrie Fisher not died. Seeing how they don't seem to plan to use CGI (good IMO just because it looks terrible) we are going to get a potentially significantly different story where we might not see Luke and Leia ever reunite (assuming it's not in VIII). I'm honestly not sure how they could NOT kill her off and make it not seem forced.

I hope the do eventually reveal what the idea would have been. I'm sure they have a good outline at the very least for Episode IX if they don't have it mostly scripted already :P.

I guess it comes down to how well they (potentially) could manage to change things in Ep 8 if they need to in order to write Leia out in a "good" way.

I do hope they wrote and shot a scene for Ep 8 where Leia and Luke reunites, I would like to see that, although there's nothing to do about it if they planned that for Ep 9 and didn't shoot such a scene yet.

6 hours ago, BrickG said:

We will always wonder what the story would have been like had Carrie Fisher not died. Seeing how they don't seem to plan to use CGI (good IMO just because it looks terrible) we are going to get a potentially significantly different story where we might not see Luke and Leia ever reunite (assuming it's not in VIII). I'm honestly not sure how they could NOT kill her off and make it not seem forced.

I hope the do eventually reveal what the idea would have been. I'm sure they have a good outline at the very least for Episode IX if they don't have it mostly scripted already :P.

I tend to think this will force them to make it a bit more edgier than it otherwise would have been. Think of it, the Skywalker line could end at EP9. Perhaps the dawning of the line of Solo? The possibilities are exciting. 

Sad though it may be, it may actually benefit Disney's plan for the franchise to have something out every year until the SW universe is squeezed dry. This will give them freedom to spread their wings out further away from the Skywalkers and give folks new characters and adventures to enjoy. 

I know it is sad to paint it in that light but Disney is a business after all and they spent a lot of money to get this franchise. 

The silver lining to all of this is, that for many fans and just pop culture in general all of these characters are immortal. They have all simply changed form and are one with the Force (we call it Star Wars) forever. 

On 1/17/2017 at 5:04 PM, Japanbuilder said:

I tend to think this will force them to make it a bit more edgier than it otherwise would have been. Think of it, the Skywalker line could end at EP9. Perhaps the dawning of the line of Solo? The possibilities are exciting.

What if Rey is a Skywalker? :purrr:

I rewatched the Force Awakens and i'm fairly certain Rey has got to be Luke's daughter. In the canon Rey visually remembers her parents and at the end Luke and Rey exchange a look that goes far deeper then "oh hey someone finally found me."

I used to subscribe to the theory that Rey was Han Solo's daughter and all but now i'm convinced she has to be Luke's. 

2 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

What if Rey is a Skywalker? :purrr:

She may well be, but I hope they get creative. Rey also heard Obi Wan's voice on Takodana, and I believe it was Obi Wan who told her that she was embarking on her first steps. She may be a Kenobi from something in TCW. Also we should recall the force awakened, and even Snoke sensed it, which would introduce a slight hole or cast a new facet of how the force works for a Skywalker. (Because otherwise how could Snoke not have sensed it sooner?)

Regardless, sooner or later they will have to get creative about all of this because everyone in the original projects will one day be no more.  Best to start testing the waters of new characters not tied by bloodline to a Skywalker. 

Just now, Japanbuilder said:

Regardless, sooner or later they will have to get creative about all of this because everyone in the original projects will one day be no more.  Best to start testing the waters of new characters not tied by bloodline to a Skywalker. 

Unless there is another Shmi-style birth (which I think many people hated), the Skywalker line will end. :sad:

1 hour ago, Forresto said:

I used to subscribe to the theory that Rey was Han Solo's daughter and all but now i'm convinced she has to be Luke's. 

Same here pal.

I guess I kind of like the idea that she's Luke's daughter but in the same way that Darth Plaguis is indirectly Anakin's Dad. Maybe Luke "made" her thought some fumbling (or the Force did). So she can be a Skywalker in spirit. 

But whatever. I'm probably wrong.

I'd actually think it was neat if she was just something new. I wouldn't mind if the Skywalker line ended. However I'm doubting Disney will let that happen!

Edited by BrickG

I'm sure people have thought about this but after I read about gallius rax on wookiepedia he seems to be just like snoke. Of course I don't know what happened to him after the battle of Jakku but I know he was a grand admiral on a super star destroyer which I believe crashes. With snokes gashes on his head and face maybe he got that from crashing in the SSD if he is rax. Also rax is the reason that general Hux is in the FO so it's possible. Apparently rax stowed away on the Emperors ship and the Emperor sensed him. From what I've seen, force sensitive people only sense people with the force and if that is true and if snoke is force sensitive, then perhaps he is rax. Anyway I'm still wondering where Thrawn is during ROTJ and afterwards. I hope that we don't see Thrawn die in Rebels but rather have his fate unknown.

If I recall correctly, it was stated that the First Order was at least partly formed with/from remaining resources from the Empire after its final defeat in the battle of Jakku.

They could write things with Rebels to have Thrawn stationed in other star systems during the Ep 4-6 years and have him come in to take control of the remaining fleet and troops of the Empire after Palpatine and Vader's deaths and the Death Star II's destruction, fighting against the rebel alliance and maybe others trying to take the control, and perhaps going down in the Empire's final defeat on/above Jakku.

I think we're going to have a lot of Attack of the Clones detective work in the next movie, except you know done far better. 

I remember seeing concept art in the Force Awakes of Rey exploring the ruins of the second Death Star and the Emperor's Throne Room which is submerged in one of Endor's oceans. I feel like there will be a lot of exploration of the force. 

4 hours ago, Calanon said:

Holy shit, sounds interesting!

But names like "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi" still can't rival the names of the other movies :hmpf_bad: really, Disney?

38 minutes ago, legosamsonite said:

The question is whether Luke or Rey is the last jedi?

Presumably Rey. Then in a few years we'll have another Jedi pop up (like how Luke was the "last Jedi" in ROTJ)

The way it is right now, with Kylo Ren (being a Force user and former Jedi padawan) on the dark side with Snoke and Rey not yet being even a padawan, I'd say it's definitely Luke.

I've seen people comment though that since "Jedi" can be both singular and plural (1 Jedi, 5 Jedi), "The Last Jedi" could mean both Luke and Rey.

Luke is the last Jedi at the moment, but as soon as Rey has gotten enough training to be considered a Jedi padawan, technically the two of them will be the last Jedi.

1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Holy shit, sounds interesting!

But names like "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi" still can't rival the names of the other movies :hmpf_bad: really, Disney?

I mean, the other movies also tend to have a lot more attached to them. Although personally my problem with this it that it does somewhat contrast with Return of the Jedi, but I'll reserve judgement. Also it's not Disney's decision - it's still Lucasfilm's.