Oky

Star Wars

Anyone slowly warming up to Jyn? At first I thought she would be a bit too edgy or based on Rey ( which I'm not too fond of ) too much.

She kinda has a Kyle Katarn ish vibe to her, and their costumes where the Tie Fighter pops up are very similar.

I also laughed out loud when K-2SO just straight up walks to her and she looks scared shitless and he says " Cassian says you are a friend...I won't kill you" and she replies "Errmm thanks!", whereas Rey would probably reply "is something wrong with your neuro processor? It must be be the off by 23,16, wait I'll go fix it".

That eclipse shot was beautiful! :wub:

I agree, that was my favorite shot in the trailer.

I just watched Episode VII again after watching the trailer. I'm excited for Rogue One, but really looking forward to Episode VIII.

Shame Kenny Baker is gone. While he was not the most vocal or well-recognized member of the Star Wars cast, he was invaluable and important.

Is there any canon explanation for why the first death star took nearly twenty years to complete and the second one took only 3 years to get operational?

Is there any canon explanation for why the first death star took nearly twenty years to complete and the second one took only 3 years to get operational?

Not sure about the new canon, but I've read theories that the majority of the time spent on the first Death Star was development of the superlaser. (In the old canon, the 'zeroeth' Death Star prototype wasn't powerful enough to completely destroy a planet, and had no targeting system. It was intended to have been finished as a proof of concept before the first Death Star was begun, which would make the timeline more sensible, until George had to go and stick the first Death Star into Sith...) They'd already figured out how to build that the second time around.

Maybe the second was in early production when the first was destroyed? It would make sense Palpatine would want multiple Death Stars if the first was a success. It could even explain the mysterious 3rd Death Star in the original Star Tours (I know it's not canon anymore but I can dream still!)

Operational is not complete. They only built half of the thing.

The easiest way is probably to ignore the prequels when considering the OT. There are other gaps in logic, mostly small things (but they add up), that make justifying the differences in your mind a chore. Or, assume the ROTS scene is a time-jump 15 years in the future, because in all honesty that shot on the bridge would be great for the opening scene of Rouge One.

The easiest way is probably to ignore the prequels when considering the OT. There are other gaps in logic, mostly small things (but they add up), that make justifying the differences in your mind a chore. Or, assume the ROTS scene is a time-jump 15 years in the future, because in all honesty that shot on the bridge would be great for the opening scene of Rouge One.

Honestly if they didn't end the film with Luke being delivered on Tatooine as the last shot, the thought that the Death Star scene in ROTS is a few years into the future would actually make a lot of sense.

That scene also ads a strange context to the film. Who started construction of the Death Star during The Clone Wars? The Separatists could have, but the thought of the Empire seizing the project and continuing it as is, is very strange. Seeing Palpatine had the plans it could have actually been the Republic that began construction in secrecy. That would have been a great subject for The Clone Wars to have explained, but I don't think they ever did touch it.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Huh. I don't believe the Clone Wars ever did touch that topic... basically what (we know of) was leftover after Disney cancelled the series is a Darth Maul story arc, another clone story arc, a Ventress/Vos arc that closes off Ventress' story and adds more fuel to Anakin's distrust of the council, and finally an eight-part Grand Finale called "The Siege of Mandalore" that brought the series right up to the beginning of ROTS. That scene did make me go "What?!" when I watched it for the first time...

Since "The Clone Wars" never depicted the start of ROTS, I just accept the original "Clone Wars" as the story until stated otherwise.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

I think based on what everyone is saying and the evidence in the films the clear difference between the completion of the two death stars is the development of the Super Laser. I think the hull for the first death star was completed first while the engineers and scientists still worked on refining the laser. This might explain why in Rogue One we see them lowering the dish onto it since the laser is still being tested.

The empire had the benefit of knowing exactly what they were doing and how to build it when they aimed to make a second death star.

Honestly if they didn't end the film with Luke being delivered on Tatooine as the last shot, the thought that the Death Star scene in ROTS is a few years into the future would actually make a lot of sense.

That scene also ads a strange context to the film. Who started construction of the Death Star during The Clone Wars? The Separatists could have, but the thought of the Empire seizing the project and continuing it as is, is very strange. Seeing Palpatine had the plans it could have actually been the Republic that began construction in secrecy. That would have been a great subject for The Clone Wars to have explained, but I don't think they ever did touch it.

I have a feeling that scene with Vader, Palpatine, and Tarkin is meant to be in the future by a couple years hence the Venators with lack of paint. Since the second DS was half completed by Return of the Jedi and that's 3 years to get to approximately 50% we can maybe guesstimate that the scene in Revenge of the Sith is a year or two after the events of the movie. however like you say Lucas wanted to end with the double sunset which is probably the best way to end the prequels.

I believe according to what we now know from Rebels the first construction began around Geonosis or at least heavily involved the Geonosians hence the Imperial genocide of the planet.

Edited by Forresto

Another potential cause of delay: when building the second Death Star, the Empire only had to pretend that the location was secret. When building the first one, they had to keep everything about it secret, and not only hiding it from the galaxy but also sneaking things related to it past the senate. They had to hide the Wookiees they enslaved, the prisoners they forced to work, the massive amounts of raw material they consumed, the scientists and engineers that figured out such a weapon was feasible, the military units that were reassigned... Certainly, that wouldn't cost them sixteen years, but it'd contribute to the idea that the second one was simply much more straightforward to build.

My personal list of EU stuff I hope returns to the canon:

-Victory Class Star Destroyer

-Director Isard

-Rogue Squadron

-Tycho Celchu

Another potential cause of delay: when building the second Death Star, the Empire only had to pretend that the location was secret. When building the first one, they had to keep everything about it secret, and not only hiding it from the galaxy but also sneaking things related to it past the senate. They had to hide the Wookiees they enslaved, the prisoners they forced to work, the massive amounts of raw material they consumed, the scientists and engineers that figured out such a weapon was feasible, the military units that were reassigned... Certainly, that wouldn't cost them sixteen years, but it'd contribute to the idea that the second one was simply much more straightforward to build.

Very good points, I had completely forgotten about the Senate and the need to hide the DS internally as well as externally.

- Prince Xizor

Ive always heard good things ahout Shadows of the Empire, is it worth reading?