Oky

Star Wars

I have thought before that Mace could have survived but bringing people back that looked like they died is bad in my opinion. Also

"It’s a plan that’s been put to very effective use on “Star Wars Rebels,” with the carefully crafted inclusion of characters from the classic films — including Darth Vader, Lando Calrissian, C-3P0, and R2-D2 — and breakout personalities from the animated tie-ins — such as Ahsoka Tano and the Clone Trooper Rex — with more slated to appear in the upcoming third season." -Simon Kinberg.

I'm even more excited for Rebels season 3 with more familiar characters to appear!

Edited by ChiefPie

Well, their was flying car around Courant, maybe he landed on one of those.

Maybe he would have survived, but was hit by one on the way down and that killed him.

I really agree on the fact that bringing Windu back would make no sense. Like, seriously: a guy gets his hand cut off, gets a CRAZY amount of electrocution, then falls out of a building 5 Godzilla's high? I don't think so.

Darth Maul got sliced in half and fell down some kind of reactor shaft.

Anakin had both legs and an arm amputated and was left to burn alive in lava.

Luke was thrown out a window, got his hand sliced off, and was sucked out of a flying city's ventilation system.

Sith can keep themselves alive through pure darkness, Anakin was saved just in time, and Luke was too important to just die. Besides, I think I saw Luke use the Force to keep himself from hitting the ground.

Edited by Ber Teh Unicern

I've always wanted to see more of Mace Windu than the fights we got with him, but I think his death was too important to be negated.

I loved his bad-megablocks, intense duel with Sidious, although too short for my liking, and seeing him getting blasted with a torrent of Force lightning and pushed out of the window like that makes a great impact along with the following Order 66.

If they start bringing everyone back, this will end up like comic books where no death is taken seriously. The same with Force-ghosts, not everyone should have that power.

I always thought brining back Maul was the closest that they came to admitting one of the bigger mistakes of TPM - killing Maul in the first place.

Star Wars is kindve like the opposite of Game of Thrones. In GoT where death of main characters is so common when someone survives its important. Likewise in Star Wars, at least the films, not many of the main cast die but when they do the moment is significant.

Obviously theres a million ways they could explain how he died but I think Mace surviving would just cheapen the price of death in the series.

Edited by Forresto

If they bring Mace back to life (its not that I didn't like him) I promise I will renounce to SW forever (and I mean it).

If they bring Mace back to life (its not that I didn't like him) I promise I will renounce to SW forever (and I mean it).

Just tune it out. I don't acknowledge the CW or Rebels, so for me, Maul is dead-dead. If Mace comes back (highly doubtful) then I'll tune that out, too.

Realistically, Disney probably can't fit Mace into the new sequel trilogy because the character would be way too old. And as a die-hard Jedi, it's not like Mace could be Finn's grandfather or something (Jedi attachment and all) anyway.

Just tune it out. I don't acknowledge the CW or Rebels, so for me, Maul is dead-dead. If Mace comes back (highly doubtful) then I'll tune that out, too.

Realistically, Disney probably can't fit Mace into the new sequel trilogy because the character would be way too old. And as a die-hard Jedi, it's not like Mace could be Finn's grandfather or something (Jedi attachment and all) anyway.

Why did you double post like that?

He needed an excuse to repeat "Maul is dead to me" four times. :tongue:

I personally don't want to see Mace Windu return, and you know, I doubt they will do that.

Edited by General Magma

With the level of contempt that The Force Awakens had towards the prequels (and the OT for that matter), I doubt Disney would even bother bringing back Mace Windu. If anything, I bet they would cast Samuel L. Jackson as a new character. I doubt that Samuel L. Jackson would even care about playing a new character as long as he returned to Star Wars. When he works with Quentin Tarantino, he doesn't complain about not playing Jules Winnfield, for he still collaborates with him.

No thanks on actors playing different characters in the same universe. Unless he's in full alien makeup it'd be to distracting.

No thanks on actors playing different characters in the same universe. Unless he's in full alien makeup it'd be to distracting.

I think Samuel L. Jackson could pull it off. He was waisted playing the most passive and stoic character in the prequels. All he would have to do is inject his usual energy in his roles to differentiate himself.

I think Samuel L. Jackson could pull it off. He was waisted playing the most passive and stoic character in the prequels. All he would have to do is inject his usual energy in his roles to differentiate himself.

Disney could de-canonize parts of the prequels. Still sell toys of them but refuse to acknowledge them in the future trilogies. And yes, Mace Windu wasn't a great role for SLJ.

Edited by Jbricks

I came to a realization about TFA that really irritates me now. First of all I still really love the movie, especially as it came out at a very stressful and difficult time in my life. I felt like a kid watching the OT and PT again, my imagination re fired up and honestly I credit the film to averting a bout with depression. I want to start off by saying I'm not an internet Social Justice Warrior who gets upset at everything but I try to be aware.

I love Finn but there is one sticking point about a couple lines that bothers me. Of course Finn, the main Black character, worked sanitation when he was stationed at Starkiller. The joke is that it's basically a throw away line that unfortunately puts Finn into more of an old stereotypical Black character role. My problem with it wouldn't exist If there had been more context or if they elaborated on the joke.

For instance if later there was some gag about stormtroopers doing plumbing and they find Captain Phasma after she had been stuffed down the trash chute, and then we as an audience knows how she survives and see that other stormies also do sanitation. At it stands the one main black character in the movie was a janitor and also the only stormtrooper we have ever heard within the franchise to do such a task. It just looks unfortunate especially in a franchise with very few leading or supporting black characters.

It also doesn't make sense to me from a story perspective either. Why would a stormtrooper, an uber elite soldier ever be positioned as a janitor? They are trained from birth to be an elite shock troop with probably lots of resources thrown at their development. So at what time would this specially trained and highly valuable asset be assigned such a menial position?

This is why I like Mace Windu. He's this noble, serene sort of character and he's powerful but not in an exaggerated sort of way. He's just a cool guy capable of expressing a lot of emotions. I don't think this was malicious writing and I think it's maybe the issue with SW. When you have so few characters portrayed by black actors and one falls close to a stereotype, that's going to stick out more. As a writer you get trapped by having to write characters that represent an entire group of people without offending anyone (Cough cough Rey cough).

This is easily fixable and comes down to juxtaposition. Just write more female or black or asian characters that are from a myriad of backgrounds then as a writer you don't have to worry because you'll be representing a lot of different people. Show a range of characters!

Edited by Forresto

Well, I don't know about Mace "expressing a wide range of emotions".... minus his final scene in Episode III, he's the least emotional character in the entirety of Star Wars. :tongue:

Maybe all Stormtroopers work sanitation or other menial tasks in-between combat training? I doubt Finn was the only janitor on Star Killer base, let alone the only stormtrooper in that role. I gather he was a rookie soldier, so it's possible he was doing sanitation since his training wasn't finished yet.

Forresto, perhaps you are overthinking the movie. Obviously there was no overt racism intended by the line (it's a modern major Disney movie). Maybe if he said "play basketball" or "cotton-picking" it would be a racist stereotype, but sanitation is used just because it 1)shows that Finn doesn't know how to disable the shields and 2)sets up the trash compactor joke. Yes, Finn could have said "cafeteria worker" or "armor repair" but those wouldn't set up the joke, and, joke aside, there wouldn't be a huge difference. If people like you stopped seeing Finn as the Black lead character and started seeing him as a lead character, you wouldn't be offended by inoffensive plot elements. Finn is the only character we've met who is involved in sanitation (except the Dianoga trash compactor monster). The only arguable racist-against-black-people element of Star Wars is making the black men out as traitors with Lando and Finn. But that too is not meant as an attribute of their race, but rather just their character.

The only arguable racist-against-black-people element of Star Wars is making the black men out as traitors with Lando and Finn. But that too is not meant as an attribute of their race, but rather just their character.

Not even that would work as an argument. Mace Windu was pushing the boundaries by straying a bit towards the dark side, namely when it came to use of Force abilities and such,

but he merely made use of those to aid him as a Jedi and always remained loyal to the Jedi Order. And then there's Captain Panaka, who was loyal to the "good guys" all the way through as far as is known.

Edited by General Magma

I didn't even think about the sanitation thing with Finn as anything special until I saw it mentioned here.