Oky

Star Wars

Well.... This thing is A New Hope 2.0

The first picture that you posted, did it really happen?

Yes

Yes...

I really liked it, but it was absurdly similar to A New Hope. And the ending sequence a lot like Return of the Jedi. But still a very great movie, I can't wait to see where this trilogy goes. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can I just say that Rey is the Star Wars heroine that we've always deserved but Lucas failed to deliver? I loved her so much. Definitely agree with the sentiments about the movie being too similar to A New Hope. I still liked it though! If I had one complaint for the movie it would be that it was too much like Ep. 4 but I am very excited to see where Ep. 8 takes us! A lot of doors this movie left open.

I was grinning practically the entire time.

Is this a spoiler-free topic? I'll be safe and just limit my comments to "Rey was awesome." As in, the only way I would've liked her character more is if she was Mara Jade.

TFA was quite disappointing for me. Recycled storylines, forced pacing, tried too hard to be nostalgic, unconvincing acting, annoying lensflares, boring lightsaber duels. Overall meh. I guess my misatake was I expected too much and got overhyped for this movie.

I was pretty similar to the original, but deep down that's what I wanted. :laugh: I liked the crude lightsaber duels. They definitely can't compare to Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes, but they echoed the fact that none of the combatants were fully trained.

Can I just say that Rey is the Star Wars heroine that we've always deserved but Lucas failed to deliver? I loved her so much.

Is this a spoiler-free topic? I'll be safe and just limit my comments to "Rey was awesome." As in, the only way I would've liked her character more is if she was Mara Jade.

I will say that in spite of a main plot with like...any originality whatsoever, I think they did a really fantastic job with the new characters and that's what's going to count in the long run.

Family's still an obviously important part of the series going forward. I don't think Finn is going to ever get any backstory beyond what we already know. Rey...it seems like her parents are a plot point that was never...really resolved. Anyone think we're going to see more of that?

And of course there's Kylo Ren Ben Solo. Looks they're setting him to be what Darth Vader would've been if he had not been redeemed. And it looks like some setup for the next movie is one big ass Dagobah sequence for both him (by Snoke) and Rey (by Luke). I'd LOVE to get perspectives from the both of them during that. Han....seemed like he was expecting it. :look: Maybe undermining Ren's confidence in the dark side?

It looks like they're taking influence from the EU, or at least following along the logical paths set forward in the OT. Luke having a Jedi academy, Han and Leia's son turning to the dark side. So that's nice.

Weird questions:

Rey's parents?

Anakin's lightsaber?

Millennium Falcon's theft? (I thought about this. Is the rumored Han Solo prequel movie a thing? Have we considered how much of a prequel it is? Is it Harrison Ford as Han between Return and Awakens?)

Knights of Ren?

What is Snoke?

Seriously, Anakin's lightsaber? :laugh:

C-3PO's arm?

When did the Republic come back?

Why is the Resistance and the Republic not the same thing?

Why did R2-D2 activate? Did Luke send a signal when he felt the Force in Rey, or?...

Anakin's lightsaber fell out of Cloud City. Didn't Luke look at it as he was hanging for dear life???

Anakin's lightsaber fell out of Cloud City. Didn't Luke look at it as he was hanging for dear life???

As far as I can tell (skimming through Harmy's Despecialized Empire right now), the last we see of it is it flying away with Luke's hand after Vader cuts it off. We do see something fall into the clouds as Luke catches the antenna, but it doesn't definitely look like the lightsaber and hand. It's a ring, like a utility belt. Plus we know the lightsaber and hand fell earlier than Luke did, since he stayed to talk to Vader, and while I don't know what the air currents are like in that shaft, it doesn't make sense to me for them to fall out at the same time.

I'm okay with it. In the old canon, it was retrieved along with the hand, C'baoth used the hand to create Luuke and gave him the saber, then it passed to Mara when she killed Luuke, so it's not that farfetched.

I'm okay with it. In the old canon, it was retrieved along with the hand, C'baoth used the hand to create Luuke and gave him the saber, then it passed to Mara when she killed Luuke, so it's not that farfetched.

Why can't both be equally far-fetched? :laugh: At least it was brought up in the movie how weird it was that Maz had it. That implies to me it's going to be brought up again at some point.

Why can't both be equally far-fetched? :laugh:

<fanboy>BECAUSE TIMOTHY ZAHN WROTE IT AND EVERYTHING HE TOUCHED IN STAR WARS IS HOLY AND SACRED. :sing:</fanboy>

No, you're right; "not unprecedented" is probably a better phrase than "not that far-feteched."

Han....seemed like he was expecting it. :look:

Don't worry, He will return as Han Solo the White

Can I just say that Rey is the Star Wars heroine that we've always deserved but Lucas failed to deliver? I loved her so much.

This is probably the best part of the movie for me, she was quite a badass in the end and I was really rooting for her at that time.

Going forward I just hope the story will go a different route. No redemption for Kylo Ren ala Vader. No sacrificial death by Luke like Obi Wan. And please no Ewok-like creatures.

And pls. do something better about the Phasma character other than getting pwned by a janitor stormie. :grin:

This was such a retread, I don't understand why anybody thought this was a good idea. New Star Wars was a chance to do something 'new,' but instead it's just evil Empire vs Rebels all over again.

What the hell happened to the new Republic? Who is governing everything once they all get blown up? Every planet for itself, or the whole galaxy is ruled by localized thugs and crime lords? The old EU version of events post Jedi made much more sense.

I liked the new characters, don't get me wrong, but the movie didn't feel complete. When a movie leaves you dying to see more because nothing gets wrapped up in this one, that ain't good.

Plus the score was very underwhelming. No great new theme music.

This is probably the best part of the movie for me, she was quite a badass in the end and I was really rooting for her at that time.

Going forward I just hope the story will go a different route. No redemption for Kylo Ren ala Vader. No sacrificial death by Luke like Obi Wan. And please no Ewok-like creatures.

And pls. do something better about the Phasma character other than getting pwned by a janitor stormie. :grin:

Yeah, what the heck did they do with Phasma! She didn't even fire her gun once! :sadnew: At least she's alive...if she wasn't I don't think they would've left it open ended. Hopefully she escaped with Ren and is coming back with a vengeance!!! Otherwise I'll be pissed

This was such a retread, I don't understand why anybody thought this was a good idea. New Star Wars was a chance to do something 'new,' but instead it's just evil Empire vs Rebels all over again.

What the hell happened to the new Republic? Who is governing everything once they all get blown up? Every planet for itself, or the whole galaxy is ruled by localized thugs and crime lords? The old EU version of events post Jedi made much more sense.

I liked the new characters, don't get me wrong, but the movie didn't feel complete. When a movie leaves you dying to see more because nothing gets wrapped up in this one, that ain't good.

Plus the score was very underwhelming. No great new theme music.

They stated quite a few times during the movie that there was a Republic that formed after the fall of the empire. I think it was Hux who mentions destroying the Republic and the Senate because they're in league with the Resistance. And I'm PRETTY sure one of the planets that we saw destroyed by Starkiller base is Coruscant, aka the Republic home world. And I disagree about the theme music. "The Scavenger" is great and is one that really stood out to me during the movie. I'll have to see what else I hear when I go and see it again tonight.

They stated quite a few times during the movie that there was a Republic that formed after the fall of the empire. I think it was Hux who mentions destroying the Republic and the Senate because they're in league with the Resistance. And I'm PRETTY sure one of the planets that we saw destroyed by Starkiller base is Coruscant, aka the Republic home world. And I disagree about the theme music. "The Scavenger" is great and is one that really stood out to me during the movie. I'll have to see what else I hear when I go and see it again tonight.

Yeah, I know what was said in the movie about the Republic. It was just so un-fleshed out that it made no sense to me. It was just such a big head-scratcher what had happened government-wise in the thirty years after Jedi. I guess there was simply a super-weak Republic that has no army and no power whatsoever? It would have made MORE sense to me honestly if they'd outright stated that - that there was a 'Republic' but it couldn't get anything done and was useless.

Basically they just had this 'Republic' in there to sort of show that something had happened in the last thirty years, but it was so thin and easy to erase so they could get back to the Rebels vs Empire status quo.

After all that hype about Captain Phasma and the diversity of Stormtroopers...wow. No spoilers, but that really goes to show that sometimes the shiny armor is just shiny armor. :tongue:

Gwen's been cast in the next Star Wars movie by the way, along with a few others.

Yeah, I know what was said in the movie about the Republic. It was just so un-fleshed out that it made no sense to me. It was just such a big head-scratcher what had happened government-wise in the thirty years after Jedi. I guess there was simply a super-weak Republic that has no army and no power whatsoever? It would have made MORE sense to me honestly if they'd outright stated that - that there was a 'Republic' but it couldn't get anything done and was useless.

Basically they just had this 'Republic' in there to sort of show that something had happened in the last thirty years, but it was so thin and easy to erase so they could get back to the Rebels vs Empire status quo.

Basically. I was just pointing out that it was in there :P perhaps it would've been better if the first order had been the military for the republic but was then taken over by Kylo Ren, which would cause the republic to form the resistance in a last ditch effort. Idk.

After all that hype about Captain Phasma and the diversity of Stormtroopers...wow. No spoilers, but that really goes to show that sometimes the shiny armor is just shiny armor. :tongue:

Gwen's been cast in the next Star Wars movie by the way, along with a few others.

Really sweet armor though!!!

Already my favorite character. Daisy Ridley totally stole the show.

Me too! Right from the opening crawl (but especially that first shot apres opening crawl!) Seriously, can we get some love for that opening shot?

For reals! She only does two things: take Finn's blaster and get thrown in a trash compactor. But Gwendoline has been cast in the next movie, so there's still hope.

Yeah! And that scene where

four or five (!) planets

get blown up was a bit underwhelming.... how could they even see that from Takodana? And they all just took it in step:

Yeah, four or five (!) planets getting blown up, no biggie.

:wacko:

But does any of that change my already undying love for the movie? No. :blush:

Also, a moment of silence please, in remembrance of the 20th Century Fox opening fanfare. :cry_sad:

Edited by Junior Shark

how About a year of silence for Han Solo

True. However,

They're gonna have to kill off Luke and Leia as well, before they die in real life! Maybe Han will come back as a Force ghost... :grin:

I have to admit that the movie was very entertaining and I actually liked it but it takes so much from the OT that it feels like an update of the old films for today´s audience. Sometimes it exaggerates in situations that imply an overwhelming amount of luck (the force I guess :hmpf_bad:) that is quite distracting, while in other moments everything is so familiar that you could actually predict what was about to happen. It was fine but not original yet I am quite satisfied and waiting for the next episode.

Sometimes it exaggerates in situations that imply an overwhelming amount of luck (the force I guess :hmpf_bad:) that is quite distracting, while in other moments everything is so familiar that you could actually predict what was about to happen.

The Force doesn't work like that. :tongue:

I have a feeling Luke will sacrifice himself in 8 or 9 like obi wan.

I wouldn't be surprised

Disney is being way too conservative with this trilogy.