Oky

Star Wars

Ooh bang on.

Sorry

Not exactly, a lot of the dialog from the actors especially Han and Luke was a cringing as the stuff from Anakin in Clones

What? The effects were ahead of everything else (did people go to Jurassic Park for dialog?). The charisma, no. The acting is far worse in the PT. Good actors can rescue a lot, and little was rescued in the PT.

That is one of the things I do hate about the PT was the green screen work, and minor things, like in the OT the ships exploded with no wreckage and a neat fireball, but in ROTS especially far too much CGI was used.

Okay.

Really, the stuff was about as sad as Luke's confrontation with Jabba in ROTJ, both needed drama to carry them off but both missed it by the dreadful acting. As for the 3PO bits, it was too long but did remind me of the comedy bits in the OT, 3PO on Chewies back in ESB or most of the Trash Compacter scene.

Honestly, I find the trash compactor scene funnier today than I did as a kid. I didn't find it funny at all when I was a kid. And Jabba, for a massive puppet, carries a lot of dramatic heft. The New Edition CGI version has no heft at all. But, the original ROTJ works pretty well in that respect.

Really, that AOTC scene just plain sucks. There is zero drama, nothing at stake, and it isn't even funny. Do you find it funny in any way when the head is stuck to a droid body afterward?

The ESB scene with Chewie has some comic touches, but it's essentially a dramatic scene. The intention is important.

Aside from the apparent speed Anakin submits to the Dark Side, ROTS was a lot more tragic and meaningful than Luke’s accession in ROTJ, that whole thing seemed like it was shoehorned in amongst all the other stuff going on in it.

Meaningful if you were a kid a the time. For adults, he just seems like a petulant kid. All his behaviour is stupid and short-sided. Luke's ascension, as it were, is not so clear, I can agree, but it wasn't a main focus.

I think the turning of Vader in ROTJ was more important than Luke's resistence of his father. We may have had different concepts of the film though. For me, Luke's temptation wasn't as heavy as Vader's redemption.

I'm not saying that the PT was perfect, I hated all but an hour or so of PM, but I do hold ROTS and AOTC higher than I hold ROTJ and ANH.

I'll blatantly go against that and say that the Phantom Menace is the least stupid of the trilogy. It has less cool stuff, but it has less utter stupidity. I like more than 2/3 of it.

Attack of the Clones is the worst. It makes no sense at all. None at all. ("Someone built a clone army for us. Let's use it.") The opening sequence is cool, Kamino looks cool, and Yoda fights cool, but it's a shitty film. A really shitty film. Samuel L. Jackson says, "Let's get this party started." Then little Boba Fett cries.

In the last 20 years, I can't think of a movie that pissed me off more than Attack of the Clones. There have been many worse films, but this film was Transformers 2 level bad.

Agreed! Phantom Menace was a lot less stupid than the other two.

What? The effects were ahead of everything else (did people go to Jurassic Park for dialog?). The charisma, no. The acting is far worse in the PT. Good actors can rescue a lot, and little was rescued in the PT.

One of the things that really put me off from ANH is not the effects, as dated as they now look, it's Luke and Mark's performance as him, he seems to be stuck in one mood throughout the film, at least Hayden carried off sadness and angst over his (Anakins) mums death, Luke barely flinched when Owen and Beru where burnt to a crisp.

Honestly, I find the trash compactor scene funnier today than I did as a kid. I didn't find it funny at all when I was a kid. And Jabba, for a massive puppet, carries a lot of dramatic heft. The New Edition CGI version has no heft at all. But, the original ROTJ works pretty well in that respect.

Really, that AOTC scene just plain sucks. There is zero drama, nothing at stake, and it isn't even funny. Do you find it funny in any way when the head is stuck to a droid body afterward?

The ESB scene with Chewie has some comic touches, but it's essentially a dramatic scene. The intention is important.

There is no drama whatsoever in those Jabba scenes, (for me anyway) maybe it's because it's a big puppet, but he does nothing in those scenes to warrant his reputation, but the biggest problem is that the gang all goes in for Han one at a time, and Luke giving R2 his sabre means they all intended to be captured and possibly killed one at a time. I first saw ROTJ when I was about 7, I could see how stupid it seemed at the time, especialy Jabba not executing a man who could kill his Rancor.

Meaningful if you were a kid a the time. For adults, he just seems like a petulant kid. All his behaviour is stupid and short-sided. Luke's ascension, as it were, is not so clear, I can agree, but it wasn't a main focus.

I think the turning of Vader in ROTJ was more important than Luke's resistance of his father. We may have had different concepts of the film though. For me, Luke's temptation wasn't as heavy as Vader's redemption.

Re watching it now ROTS just serves to make his redemption in ROTJ more meaningful. Without ROTS and the others in the PT we just didn't know what Anakin was like, due the lack of focus on Luke in ROTJ, the series as a whole seems to be about Anakin now, and his fall in ROTS dose look better.

I'll blatantly go against that and say that the Phantom Menace is the least stupid of the trilogy. It has less cool stuff, but it has less utter stupidity. I like more than 2/3 of it.

Attack of the Clones is the worst. It makes no sense at all. None at all. ("Someone built a clone army for us. Let's use it.") The opening sequence is cool, Kamino looks cool, and Yoda fights cool, but it's a shitty film. A really shitty film. Samuel L. Jackson says, "Let's get this party started." Then little Boba Fett cries.

In the last 20 years, I can't think of a movie that pissed me off more than Attack of the Clones. There have been many worse films, but this film was Transformers 2 level bad.

Mystery of the clone army's origins aside, the story held up better than TPM for me, it was an actual chase, the heroes moved through the story causing events, compared to TPM which just seemed like a lode of events happening in order to get everybody to the point where they could develop for the OT, with little or no choice for the characters, beyond choosing to return to Naboo.

One of the things that really put me off from ANH is not the effects, as dated as they now look, it's Luke and Mark's performance as him, he seems to be stuck in one mood throughout the film, at least Hayden carried off sadness and angst over his (Anakins) mums death, Luke barely flinched when Owen and Beru where burnt to a crisp.

There's something called subtlety which Lucas lost all ability to do by the time he made the prequels. Luke doesn't moan, or cry, or give an 'oh-god-I'm-so-angry' stare. He doesn't need to say, in a terrible soliloquy, "I miss you, so mmmmmmuch." But his pain comes across. The way the character channels his pain is by deciding to help Obi-Wan, but he's clearly hurt when he tells Obi-Wan that there's nothing for him on Tatooine now. What does Anakin do? He goes ape-shit on some Tuskens, glares and stares, delivers a painful speech, mopes around, and then delivers an even more painful speech about how 'he wasn't strong enough' to save his mom. Subtlety=gone.

There's something called subtlety which Lucas lost all ability to do by the time he made the prequels. Luke doesn't moan, or cry, or give an 'oh-god-I'm-so-angry' stare. He doesn't need to say, in a terrible soliloquy, "I miss you, so mmmmmmuch." But his pain comes across. The way the character channels his pain is by deciding to help Obi-Wan, but he's clearly hurt when he tells Obi-Wan that there's nothing for him on Tatooine now. What does Anakin do? He goes ape-shit on some Tuskens, glares and stares, delivers a painful speech, mopes around, and then delivers an even more painful speech about how 'he wasn't strong enough' to save his mom. Subtlety=gone.

But it's not realistic, most people wouldn't just sit there after someone kills their parents, especialy not if they had enough power to do something about it. Hell Luke doesn't even bury them.

Not that Anakin's dialog in the films is realistic but Luke's is just as unrealistic in completely different ways.

I have a big disagreement here. I don't think Mark Hamill was a good actor at all, and one of the weaker points of the OT, but Hayden Christianson was much worse, and one-note in my opinion. I blame Lucas' direction for that over Christianson though. Poor guy had his career as destroyed by it as Hamill did in the 80's :cry_sad:

There is no drama whatsoever in those Jabba scenes, (for me anyway) maybe it's because it's a big puppet, but he does nothing in those scenes to warrant his reputation, but the biggest problem is that the gang all goes in for Han one at a time, and Luke giving R2 his sabre means they all intended to be captured and possibly killed one at a time. I first saw ROTJ when I was about 7, I could see how stupid it seemed at the time, especialy Jabba not executing a man who could kill his Rancor.

He kills his dancer early on, and has no fear from bounty hunters or Jedi. It was quite powerful to me. At the time of watching, I was thinking Jedi were near-invincible, and Jabba was above them. The plan of going in one at a time is a little nonsensical, but was intended to infiltrate rather than storm the palace. But, yeah, it's a plot hole. But, Jabba does try to execute Luke, first with the Rancor, then with the Sarlaac. It was a major plot point! :wacko:

Mystery of the clone army's origins aside, the story held up better than TPM for me, it was an actual chase, the heroes moved through the story causing events, compared to TPM which just seemed like a lode of events happening in order to get everybody to the point where they could develop for the OT, with little or no choice for the characters, beyond choosing to return to Naboo.

A chase to what? Catch Count Dooku? Who the Hell is Count Dooku? I had no clue, since all he did was fight Yoda and run away. No development with the main villains of this movie. And that whole arena scene is just as ridiculous as the stuff with Jabba. We have a super-powerful Jedi. Let's put him in an arena rather than slit his throat. But I can overlook that as movie tradition.

Now, I love Star Wars, and have watched the prequels more than once, because of the love for the OT. The frustration with them isn't the stuff that is aimed at kids, it's the stuff it fails to do for me. The humour falls flat, the drama isn't earned, and the moods don't sell me. But it's all relative.

If you like thinking about the films, and how they're viewed, I recommend the column Film Nerd 2.0 on Hitfix. The writer shares his beloved geek cinema with his young sons, and talks about how they process it. He's shown them both trilogies, in the order, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. It's pretty fascinating, and puts adult readings of the movies in perspective (ie. his kids totally believe in Anakin).

Here is the first one on Star Wars

http://www.hitfix.co...ng-of-star-wars

That is one of the things I do hate about the PT was the green screen work, and minor things, like in the OT the ships exploded with no wreckage and a neat fireball, but in ROTS especially far too much CGI was used.

This is definitely one of my biggest issues with the PT. About a year ago I was working on a Death Star Trench Run MOC and was watching ANH for reference. Despite myself, I admittedly got wrapped up in the building suspense of the scene- it was a scene shot with pin-ball tables and models, and yet it was entrancing, in a way.

Revenge of the Sith was the only Star Wars movie I've watched in theater. When Obi-Wan and Anakin spun over the Venator into this massive battle over Coruscant, it was cool. But there was no drama. There was no suspense, and I feel personally that a lot of has to do with the overwhelming CGI. The scene looked cool, but if there's no emotional attachment to it, it's pointless.

I've been looking a lot at the Lord of the Rings movies lately, notable the behind the scenes stuff, and it's just mind-blowing how much of it is real. Naturally, part's of it had to be CGI'd, but things that Lucas would do CGI, Peter Jackson made effort to make it look real. Massive models, matte paintings and huge sets made it all work. Not to mention the astounding amount of detail the WETA team put into each individual piece of armor.

Sorry for going on a bit of a rant, but personally, OT's realism over CGI is one large reason it beats PT.

I will agree on that last part. CGI can be used really well, but it needs to be more seamless with reality to allow further attachment to the movie's characters/scenes. I think CGI is great and we live in a time where movies are ridiculous, but at the same time, if it can only be done in CGI with no sense of realism, it can be lost in the shuffle.

This is definitely one of my biggest issues with the PT. About a year ago I was working on a Death Star Trench Run MOC and was watching ANH for reference. Despite myself, I admittedly got wrapped up in the building suspense of the scene- it was a scene shot with pin-ball tables and models, and yet it was entrancing, in a way.

Revenge of the Sith was the only Star Wars movie I've watched in theater. When Obi-Wan and Anakin spun over the Venator into this massive battle over Coruscant, it was cool. But there was no drama. There was no suspense, and I feel personally that a lot of has to do with the overwhelming CGI. The scene looked cool, but if there's no emotional attachment to it, it's pointless.

I've been looking a lot at the Lord of the Rings movies lately, notable the behind the scenes stuff, and it's just mind-blowing how much of it is real. Naturally, part's of it had to be CGI'd, but things that Lucas would do CGI, Peter Jackson made effort to make it look real. Massive models, matte paintings and huge sets made it all work. Not to mention the astounding amount of detail the WETA team put into each individual piece of armor.

Sorry for going on a bit of a rant, but personally, OT's realism over CGI is one large reason it beats PT.

WARNING: Off-Topic Content Ahead!

This is one of three main reasons why Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is not as good as the others, as well as why The-Indiana-Jones-Movie-That-Must-Not-Be-Named was so terrible: both overused CGI. Now, contrary to popular belief, it's not just the looks that cause audiences to rebel against it; the big problem is the effect on the actors.

Speaking as an actor, I can testify firsthand as to how hard it is to deliver a convincing performance on a featureless stage. A huge portion of acting is about finding and using mental image to transform your perspective into that of the character; for example, on-stage you don't see John the plumber who acts in his spare time, you see Tybalt, or Horatio, or Banquo, or whatever other character he is playing. The problem is, in order for a performance to be emotionally moving, you need a mental image that is excruciatingly specific, one that will affect you precisely like the real thing would. On a completed, fully-dressed set with all props and in full costume, you can draw from the reality of these elements, and so you do not have to create an image for them; they are there. On an empty blue- or green-screen stage, you have to create everything, and given the fact that film actors do not get nearly as much rehearsal time as theatrical actors, it's no wonder that actors thrown up in front of a green screen can't help but make vague, unspecific choices that are emotionally vague and unmoving. Of course, it is the actor's job to come on set fully prepared to the absolute best of their ability, but every tangible element you can give your actor represents a huge amount of mental effort that the actor can then devote to some other element of their performance; even if you end up erasing the entire physical object and adding a new one in later, the actor's performance will be exponentially better because of the immersion of the physical environment.

Edited by Flipz

Speaking as an actor, I can testify firsthand as to how hard it is to deliver a convincing performance on a featureless stage. A huge portion of acting is about finding and using mental image to transform your perspective into that of the character; for example, on-stage you don't see John the plumber who acts in his spare time, you see Tybalt, or Horatio, or Banquo, or whatever other character he is playing. The problem is, in order for a performance to be emotionally moving, you need a mental image that is excruciatingly specific, one that will affect you precisely like the real thing would. On a completed, fully-dressed set with all props and in full costume, you can draw from the reality of these elements, and so you do not have to create an image for them; they are there. On an empty blue- or green-screen stage, you have to create everything, and given the fact that film actors do not get nearly as much rehearsal time as theatrical actors, it's no wonder that actors thrown up in front of a green screen can't help but make vague, unspecific choices that are emotionally vague and unmoving. Of course, it is the actor's job to come on set fully prepared to the absolute best of their ability, but every tangible element you can give your actor represents a huge amount of mental effort that the actor can then devote to some other element of their performance; even if you end up erasing the entire physical object and adding a new one in later, the actor's performance will be exponentially better because of the immersion of the physical environment.

This is very, very true. :thumbup:

Back then (episode IV), it was all new and outstanding special effects, today anybody can create CGI effects and environments, I wont say that OT is better than PT, but no new movies (I, II, III, VII, VIII, ...) will ever thrill me as the OT did.

Because this belongs more here than in the topic it was originally in:

61409_499587993395914_958297631_n.png

Back then (episode IV), it was all new and outstanding special effects, today anybody can create CGI effects and environments, I wont say that OT is better than PT, but no new movies (I, II, III, VII, VIII, ...) will ever thrill me as the OT did.

I think it's safe to say the story of the original trilogy is a lot better. Rescue the princess and blow up the Death Star vs Stop a trade embargo. Escape the Empire vs track down some guy called Dooku who ordered clones. Reunite the gang and defeat said Empire vs senator passes an evil resolution.

I don't hate the prequels, but given any reflection, they fail on basic conceptual levels. Even describing the plot is challenging. They're basically stitched together with some solid set pieces. I like the stuff that isn't really relevant to the plots. I think if the concepts were there, new movies could astound.

I think it's safe to say the story of the original trilogy is a lot better.

The real-world story of the OT is a lot better, too. "Genius visionary atrist and his small but hardworking team of actors and crew struggle against the system to create a masterpiece that changes movies forever" vs. "somewhat loopy ex-visionary drops absurd amounts of cash so his army of workers can create a pretty but ultimately hollow mess".

Really though, I have to agree with what others have said; Lucas is GREAT at visual storytelling, he just doesn't have the skill of making good STORIES to tell. I'd hire him as a cinematographer or visual director (can't think of the proper term, sorry) in a heartbeat, but as a writer or director...not so much.

The real-world story of the OT is a lot better, too. "Genius visionary atrist and his small but hardworking team of actors and crew struggle against the system to create a masterpiece that changes movies forever" vs. "somewhat loopy ex-visionary drops absurd amounts of cash so his army of workers can create a pretty but ultimately hollow mess".

Really though, I have to agree with what others have said; Lucas is GREAT at visual storytelling, he just doesn't have the skill of making good STORIES to tell. I'd hire him as a cinematographer or visual director (can't think of the proper term, sorry) in a heartbeat, but as a writer or director...not so much.

I've always felt that was one of the large reasons for the PT's lack of success- the originals were written by great writers like Lawrence Kasdon, but the PT was all written by Lucas himself.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357610/Darth-Vader-to-be-resurrected

>_< Seriously, Disney? After so many of us expressed faith that these new movies might be good?! :sad:

If this is not a hoax (though I really, really, REALLY hope it is), I'm disassociating myself with Star Wars. My years of lightsaber training, my huge collection of LEGO Star Wars and other Star Wars memorabilia will become a badge of shame, rather than the token of honor it once was; I shall have to bury them in a deep vault, never to see the light of day again. :sadnew:

http://www.express.c...-be-resurrected

>_< Seriously, Disney? After so many of us expressed faith that these new movies might be good?! :sad:

If this is not a hoax (though I really, really, REALLY hope it is), I'm disassociating myself with Star Wars. My years of lightsaber training, my huge collection of LEGO Star Wars and other Star Wars memorabilia will become a badge of shame, rather than the token of honor it once was; I shall have to bury them in a deep vault, never to see the light of day again. :sadnew:

I'd say that it is a hoax. I do not believe that such a crucial information would leak that early. If it should turn out that they really are resurrecting Vader...well, I wouldn't know what to say.

For me, Hamill's performance always worked in that scene. I don't think that the scene would have worked better if Luke had displayed, let's say, a higher degree of emotion. (I'm not sure if it's correct to say that "he didn't even bury them". If I remember, he arrived at the hut, and in the next scene he arrived at Obi Wan again, so we don't know what happened in between. My memory may be inaccurate, though.)

Re watching it now ROTS just serves to make his redemption in ROTJ more meaningful. Without ROTS and the others in the PT we just didn't know what Anakin was like, due the lack of focus on Luke in ROTJ, the series as a whole seems to be about Anakin now, and his fall in ROTS dose look better.

I particularly disagree here. For me, a first image of Anakin emerged from the very general statements about him Obi Wan made on Tattooine in ANH. For me, the whole PT didn't really show that Obi Wan and Anakin were friends. There were several statements about that issue, especially in ROTS, but they never seemed like friends to me. Basically, Anakin was either a child (TPM) or already biased by his feelings (AOTC and ROTS), but there never was a phase during which he seemed to be truely "good".

I think it's safe to say the story of the original trilogy is a lot better. Rescue the princess and blow up the Death Star vs Stop a trade embargo. Escape the Empire vs track down some guy called Dooku who ordered clones. Reunite the gang and defeat said Empire vs senator passes an evil resolution.

I don't hate the prequels, but given any reflection, they fail on basic conceptual levels. Even describing the plot is challenging. They're basically stitched together with some solid set pieces. I like the stuff that isn't really relevant to the plots. I think if the concepts were there, new movies could astound.

I wouldn't call it better. It's simpler and much more to the point. The PT works on different levels, though. E. g. TPM shows how Palpatine becomes the Chancellor of the Republic, in AOTC, he gets himself an army, and in ROTS, he uses this army to destroy the Jedi Order.

The PT lacks meaningful battles, though: In ANH, the rebels attacked the Death Star and destroyed it; Yavin was saved. In TESB, the Empire attacked the rebels, but the rebels escaped. In ROTJ, the rebels attacked and destroyed the base on Endor, destroyed the second Death Star, and that's it.

There is only one single battle in the PT that is more or less equally meaningful, and that's the battle on Naboo. In starts, it ends, it has a result. To me, the battle of Geonosis in AOTC basically is just mere action ("salted" with hillarious slapsticks). I never understood what objectives there were, nor when they were achieved (on the contrary, the objectives are very clear in the OT). Rather, it is a mere context for the chase of Dooku and Dooku's escape. In ROTS, there is such action as well, but again, it is mere context for Order 66.

I saw this earlier today, and I've got to say, that has to be one of the worst ideas in the history of film making. They better not go through with it.

If this is true, I will not be seeing the new movies. No reason to swear off Star Wars completly though. Time will tell though.

As of today, SWTOR is free-to-play. Here's the official press release:

AUSTIN, Texas – Nov 15, 2012 – BioWare™, a studio of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:EA), and LucasArts announced today that the new, Free-to-Play option for the critically-acclaimed, massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic is now live. Now players can experience the complete storylines of all eight iconic Star Wars classes, all the way to level 50 for free. This new option complements the existing subscription offering, providing players with maximum flexibility in how they choose to experience Star Wars: The Old Republic.

“We want to give our players the freedom to enjoy Star Wars: The Old Republic when and how they want,” said Matthew Bromberg, General Manager of BioWare Austin. “There has never been a better time to start playing with us.”

Also today, BioWare released Game Update 1.5: HK-51 Activated, which adds new areas to explore, a new Companion character and more, including:

• Get ready for an action-packed adventure to earn control of one of the galaxy’s most deadly Assassins, HK-51. Submerged beneath the icy surface of Belsavis lies a derelict ship and if you are brave enough to venture through the wreckage, you will embark on a mission that ultimately rewards you with a powerful new, yet familiar, ally the ruthless Assassin Droid, HK-51.
  • Explore Section X, a previously untouched area of the prison world of Belsavis. The Dread Masters’ servants are searching for a powerful and ancient weapon. Fly to Section X and secure the target of their search to be richly rewarded.
  • Travel to Denova to take on Operation: Explosive Conflict – now with a Nightmare Mode! Teams who complete in this new mode can earn the final pieces of the Dread Guard gear set and a brand new mount that will be sure to cause tank envy!

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a story-driven, massively multiplayer online (MMO) game with a Free-to-Play option from BioWare and LucasArts. Set thousands of years before the classic Star Wars movies, players team up with friends online to fight in heroic battles, explore a galaxy of vibrant planets, and experience visceral Star Wars combat, all set to a sweeping musical score. Players are asked to join forces with either the Galactic Republic or Sith Empire and choose one of eight iconic Star Wars characters, including the Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent.

For more information on the different ways players can now experience Star Wars: The Old Republic, including the Free-to-Play option, please visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/FREE or Origin.com. As always, be sure to check StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com for latest updates and follow us on Twitter®, Facebook®, and YouTube®.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Aren't you overreacting a little bit? From the sound of your post I thought they had decided to make Jar Jar one of the main characters in the new movies or make them in the style of the Clone Wars. :hmpf: It does seem like a bad idea, seeing as it would go against everything the saga has been about until now, but they are kinda right in saying that Star Wars without Anakin/Vader would be a bit odd. It wouldn't be implausible either, because if Darth Maul can return, so can Vader, but since he wouldn't be a villain anymore, I'm hoping that it's not Anakin under the mask this time if this is true. But these are only early rumors, so let's calm down and wait for some more solid information.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357610/Darth-Vader-to-be-resurrected

Before you bury them away doomed to a dirt nap, I'll take any and all clones you have. :grin: