Sign in to follow this  
pe668

Finders Keepers, Loosers Bleeders (Final)

The Legend of Captain Blood Beard - Part III

3060399625_afed9104db_o.jpg

The self proclaimed king of pillage, Blood Beard had few peers, that lived. His swordsmanship was exceptional and as a captain he led by example. His motley crew became so complacent they just let him unleash his mayhem, often turning up late to simply loot and burn the village. Many thought his name was due to his ginger hair, but legend has it that when he pillaged a village he would not stop the slaughter until the blood was up to his beard. Hires version on Flicker

Designer Notes: It's very hard to create a large MOC and capture the action in one 800x600 photo, but I'm very happy with the end result. There are lots of smaller details, some got lost, but all the major ones are visible. Special thanks go to my good friend and fellow lego builder Connor. It was his idea to link the background to the foreground with the 2nd canon ball shot. Thank you Classic-Pirates.com for the best competition. Pirates was not a theme I collected before and even if I don't win the BSB at least I have a microscale version.

3060282895_6f0ef4d036_o.jpg

Hires microscale BSB on Flicker

3061166250_747319f985_o.jpg

3060330153_dd49e57ccc_o.jpg

Lots of other photos on Flicker

Edited by pe668

WOW! Fantastic! The best large entry we've seen so far. The biggest :thumbup: possible!

What I like:

1. The micro-scale tudor buildings are great. The look so minifig scale. If that makes any sense... :pir-sceptic:

2. The BSB is really cool. Why do you need to win one when you already have one? :pir_laugh2:

3. I love the little details like the slopes between the turrets (I think. A castle fan could correct me there?). They add such a sense of realism.

What could be improved

1. Not much really, although I really don't like the fence / poles on the wall. I think the pylons are too large for the actual poles.

2. In the micro-scale gate, use plates rather than bricks for the turrets (again, I'm not sure). They are just a little tall.

Other than that though, this is a great entry, probably the best I've seen s far. Great work pe668! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The awesome feedback I received made my final MOC's (small & medium) so much better. I figured I should get some WIP images in here soon, so I'll still have the time to make any changes.

I don't have huge piles of Lego bricks but I wanted to make an epic large. So I opted to make a lot of the background detail micro-scale. The competition is judged from one picture so having lots of background bricks doesn't really help, does it? Story will come later as will better final photos.

I updated the images at the top of this thread so I moved the early ones down here:

I don't have any pirate ships I missed out on them when they were in the shops the first time. Just the one little boat from the castle series. Love the Black Seas Baracuda ever since I first saw it, so I had to make an entry in large division even if I had no chance of winning, I had to try. So I opted to build a BSB and without anywhere near enough bricks came up with one in mirco-scale (so cute, I mean tough and piratey)

Next I built as much background as I could in various scales. The water uses every single blue piece I have, I had to bust up two models (one which was a favourite on my bookcase) to get enough blue bricks. I even built some tiny pirates...hehe cute, I mean tough.

3007389892_750e9918ff_o.jpg

3007390222_874ca9e0a3_o.jpg

Edited by pe668

3007390744_39ff19e850_o.jpg

That wall on the right there is surely the best blood effect i've seen. Makes me want to go watch Kill Bill, again. I really like this MOC. The micro background looks like the best brick saving technique, since...

Well, the only thing is just yesterday, I was planning to enter a different contest (on a different site) with an entry that included a guy with two swords (not Pirates or castle) and who was also stabbing and cutting and slicing (which if I don't get away with, you'll be the meddling kid :pir_laugh2: )

Anyway, really great entry :thumbup: And good luck in the contest.

that's a nice entry, you made it to looks great once photographied with the good angle of view, that's really nice ^^

technically I give to your entry 10/10 ,it's really wonderful, and your micro BSB is really cool !

plus, it fit the theme, even if I don't know if a fight where the pirates is alone against a lot of soldiers show his cruelty ^^ but it's a bloody bloody entry ! ^^

the only thing that I don't really like in it is the fact that you used this "perspective" that doesn't allow to look at it from a different angle of view , but as it's a pictures contest, that's nice ^^

so I'm looking forward to future improvement and I wish you good luck for the contest ^^

Edited by Guss

That's a very interesting concept Pe668.

Using microscale along with normal scale is a very bold move and is something I haven't seen too often. I love the ship, it has so many nice details which can be hard to include in such a small area. The blood in the fort area looks great as well.

Before I make too many comments, I'd like to see more of an overall view, so as to see the entire thing. That way it's easier to get a feel for the entry.

Looking good! :pir-classic:

Extremely nice entry. The combination of minifig scale and micro scale for the background is experimental and creative but the amazing result proves it was a good move.

So awesome. The microscale backround is amazing. The blood is a bit excessive, but I like it.

10/10. You deserve to win! :thumbup:

Hmm, very good! Liked the combination of the two - in a mini-figurines and mini-or micro-scale. As in the painting, where there is a war - there are warriors who comes closest to us are, so to speak, because we certainly understand that this flat pattern, they seem to us more than those located farther - and again, all figuratively speaking of for the picture plane. And here, just very clever. Meanwhile, more than that of mini-figurines of such seemingly small, which received their similarity to the picture, it is that they stood on the stage located to us "close" very far in real! Therefore - respect, especially the ship - a very nice model. A small squares depicting mini-figurines away a little bit wrong, if anything like arms and legs, although, again - can be difficult or even not need to do is just not true. :pir-sceptic::pir_laugh2:

Yes. :thumbup: Sooooo nearly there. A few pointers -

The background is lovely; just extending the wall and green-ness so there isn't a gap with the foreground would make it perfect. (you could edit the background to do this, if you haven't got the bricks/bother)

It's more common to use 1x1 cones/cylinders for microscale people, but they could just be fat... some different coloured/shaped hats could just add that little edge :pir-wink:

I'm not too sure about the white plate flags though; it would look fine without them, in my opinion. Also, a figurehead? It could just be a 1x1 yellow plate in-between the studs of the 2x4 plate. Could the sails be built the other way round? It doesn't really matter, but it's a little distracting.

The medium-distance trees are a little flat - adding more leaves to "round off" the branches would be good. If you haven't got them, it doesn't matter at all.

As Zuloo said, the railing could do with a bit of balancing out; would you make it brown (wood) and have someone getting knocked through it?

The dark grey arch isn't really working for me; putting it flush with the rest of the wall may help, or doing another technique would help a lot.

I'd prefer SNOT/tiled stonework, but that's not really a major problem.

:thumbup:

Very innovative to use such a mini-background. And the mini BSB is so cool I want one too!

A few improvements you could make:

- Use more tiles on the fortification wall, that way it might look smoother.

- I think you used a bit too MUCH blood...

- Maybe you could add some more details in the backgound, like even more trees and so.

Alright, now I'm ready for some more comments!

Since I already mentioned all of the fantastic things about your entry, I'll just point out some things you could improve.

Some things you could work on are:

1) Putting some grey tiles on some of the exposed studs on the fort would match the smoothness in the bloody area and make it look much better.

2) Like Zorro said, I think adding some more trees in the grassy area would make it more exciting.

3) The grey 1 x 2 bricks on the fort's railing look a bit large for the spot they are in. Perhaps you could put some grey cheese slopes or round 1 x 1s there instead.

=========================================================================

But like I said before, you did a wonderful job on your entry! :pir-classic:

Great entry, pe668, very unique!

What I like:

Using both mini and regular scale building techniques was a very creative idea, and I think it came out excellently. The mini ship and houses are fantastic, and the goriness in the regular-sized section is great!

What could be improved:

Perhaps you should consider adding some good ol' pirate cruelty in there, besides killing soldiers., which could be done in any way you want. The trees are good, but I would like to see more in the mini part.

Looks good, though, and I wish you good luck for this creative entry! :thumbup:

Thats a fantastic entry!

I really loved the different scales used, and must admit that on first glance i thought "Wow thats a big entry!" :pir-tongue: hehe.

And the blood effect on the wall is excellent!

Top job! :classic:

That is great! The use of forced perspective is not something we see all the time, and the mini-landscaping and building is loverly! The action of the MOC is gory to an extreme, which is just what the contest is for! Keep it up!

Thanks to everyone for the great sugestions. Most of them made it into the final build.

I have put the latest photo's at the start of the thread, hope you like them.

Great changes! If this doesn't win, there's something wrong!!! :thumbup: Very well done pe668. You listened to all our comments very well and put them into your final perfectly. And you seem to have a fair few imperials too. :pir-classic: The very best of luck, not that you should need it. :pir-wink:

If this doesn't win, there's something wrong!!!

no, it's because MINE won ! ah ah ah :pir_laugh2:

Off course I know that I'll not win ^^

that's nice pe668 , even If I don't remember the first version, that's a nice entry , good luck ^^

Great changes Pe668! :pir_laugh2:

The new railing looks much better than the old one did, and the digital background is beautiful, I can't remember whether you had that before though.

Anyways, great work on your entry and good luck! :kahuka:

Off course I know that I'll not win ^^
There are a lot of prizes and you have a fine entry, I think you have a good chance.
that's nice pe668 , even If I don't remember the first version, that's a nice entry , good luck ^^
Short memories, it was only 3 weeks ago.
technically I give to your entry 10/10 ,it's really wonderful, and your micro BSB is really cool !
So much for making a unique and unforgetable 1st draft. Edited by pe668

So much for making a unique and unforgetable 1st draft.

No matter. You have created a unique and unforgetable final entry, and that's what counts. :pir-wink:

I really REALLY Like this! :pir_laugh2:

I think the mini-scale works perfectly! It looks excellant :pir-wub:

And I just love everything about it really. :pir-wub:

Its really good but some imperial soldiers could have guns or pirate swords. I like how you did the blood and dead bodies. i think the background is great withe the houses and soldiers. The ship could use some fireing cannons but its good. I give it a 4 out of 5. :pir_laugh2:

Opinion

This is a fantastic MOC pe668. I really like how you have the farther part of your MOC mini and the front part actual size. The mini ship you made looks a lot like the Black Seas Barracuda. The battle scene you have looks very gruesome and gory with lots of blood. The cannon ball hitting the wall effect is really nicely created. I still can't believe that Blood Beard is battling more than two guys at once. The blood stream looks nasty (well created). The castle on the left side looks really cool and I like the gray bricks you used to make it.

Possible Improvements

1) All I would suggest is that you change you change the red bricks in the blood stream to transparent red bricks. This would make your blood stream look more like blood.

Overall- I really like how you made the background mini. You have used you bricks very well creating your MOC. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing