• Above Average
    • Superb

indexed.gif

Title of Set: 10000 Guarded Inn

Theme: Castle/Legends

Year Released: 2001

Pieces Count: 246

Minifigures: 4

Original Price: $25 (USD), Unknown (EUR), Unknown (GBP)

Current Prices: BrickLink Price Guide

Further Information: Brickset, Lugnet, Peeron, Photobucket Album

The Guarded Inn is always accepting guests and whether these guests are friend or foe, they can always find a hot meal and a warm bed to welcome them to a place away from the gruesome battles that plague their lands.

Instruction Booklet:

instru1.jpg

instru2.jpg

At 246 pieces, this set uses an instruction booklet. Containing a total of 30 steps, the booklet is easy to follow and has good contrast which helps the building process go smoothly. Some steps also have sub-steps for any of the more complicated areas.

Minifigs:

figs.jpg

horse.jpg

A Black Falcon, two Lion Knights, a white horse, and a female innkeeper are included.

Accessories:

acc.jpg

Plenty of accessories that can suit several guards and even provide the innkeeper with items such as a pan to serve any patrons who are in need of refuge. The red cone is the innkeeper's hat. What is not shown in this picture are three plants with flowers and a black cape (identical to the blue cape).

Unique Pieces:

uniq3.jpg

flag.jpg

Two red corner wall panels, one red straight wall panel, a blue door, and a printed black flag. The printing on the flag is highly detailed and exists on both sides.

Completed without Minifigs:

Overview:

overview.jpg

The roof has a watchtower that has a usable space of 4x4 studs. The wall walkway is 2x20 studs, with an extra 4x9 studded area for an off duty guard to drink mead.

Front:

frontdoor.jpg

Not much to be explained here. The single yellow shutter and blue door obviously work on a hinge system. A large chimney can also be spotted, along with the halberd clipped to the wall.

Front Open:

open.jpg

The whole front facade of this inn utilizes two hinge bricks. Once swung open, this provides easy access into the internal area.

Side Open:

side.jpg

Another single yellow shutter. And again, the window itself is arched giving the inn a realistic architectural look. One of the many small things that really make this set so special.

Side Closed:

sideclosed.jpg

As before, but with front closed.

Back:

walllightcr.jpg

The back is open and, as does the hinged front, allows access to the innards. There is a yellow brick build table, with a 2x2 yellow brick stool. A blue goblet and flower plant decorate the place. Towards the front of the structure a small stove can be seen where the chimney begins. There is a place to stick a spare shield, perhaps one from a guest, into the wall. A brown lance with a green flag clips to the outer wall.

Side Wall:

wall.jpg

The wall is four panels long and three bricks wide. The wall can connect to other sets released during this time period via a technic pin on each end.

Closeups:

Interior:

inside.jpg

A closer view of a passageway to the underside of the walled area - a joining of two plates create a 6x8 studded area. A better view of the stove/fireplace can also be seen.

Walkway:

closepassage.jpg

Where the previously mentioned passageway leads to.

Bay Window:

bay.jpg

A nice little nook that can possibly sit another minifig.

Attic & Watchtower:

attic.jpg

There is a very small attic included in this set. A regular chest is unlikely to fit due to the small size. It does create another nice architectural point that can be viewed through the front's window, though.

Attic Window:

closeattic.jpg

Another small detail found within this set. Really wraps up the whole exterior while breaking up the otherwise all black roof.

Walkway with Front Opened:

walkway.jpg

Here is a view with the front facade all the way opened. As shown, there is a good amount of space between the flag pole and wall.

Front Facade:

closeopen.jpg

Backside of the front facade.

Completed with Minifigs:

comminifig-1.jpg

How the set looks when completely finished.

Scenery:

scenb.jpg

Set in a landscape poorly constructed by me.

Reviewer's Score:

Playability: 10/10 - Unlimited amount of possibilities. There can be an attack occurring, or just friendly banter flowing throughout the inn. The inn can be a part of a castle, a keep, an outpost, a town, and so on. Two factions are included, which provides the option of conflict or peace.

Design: 10/10 - This set is a work of art. The colors and architectural techniques are very impressive and just feel right. Only flaw is not being able to easily fit a chest in the attic, but at least there is an attic.

Price: 9.9/10 - Four minifigs, including one rare innkeeper and beautifully printed flag is a very good deal. Another minifig would've made this an absolute 10/10.

Total: 29.9/30 - If you can find it then buy it, build it, and enjoy it!

Thanks for the great review Dj! :thumbup: I especially like the last picture. Nice work on the background!

This is a very nice castle set in my opinion. The pattern on the red wall is lovely and the set also comes with a good amont of interesting parts and minifigs.

The hinging feature is very nice as well. Those yellow headlight bricks as windows is something I've never seen before in a set....

I give this set (and review) a 5/5!

What a sweet set DJ! Great review explaining all the nice bricks and features too. The figures are cool especially the maidens hair piece/hat thingy.

This set would slot nicely into the Community build with some tweaking too. :thumbup:

Now maybe I will hunt this one down....

This is a very nice classic castle set, one that I own as well and used to be one of the first I got.

Also your review is off a high quality, but I already noticed that in the Academy, so please continue this good work you are performing :thumbup: .

I wish I had this! It is an excellent civilian set, and even has a female minifig!

Was this the first Legends set? I was in my dark ages in the Legends era...

I wish I had this! It is an excellent civilian set, and even has a female minifig!

Was this the first Legends set? I was in my dark ages in the Legends era...

I am quite positive it was the first. I was also in my dark ages when TLC decided to start/end the Legends theme, such a shame.

Excellent review, I really loved this set, as it was my first (and only :cry_sad: )classic castle set, unless you include a weapon pack.

5/5

jifel

This set has that classic charm that is telling you "buy me" all the time! I missed it as a child, but I was very happy when my brother bought it in Legoland Germany. Now I have it. :sweet:

There are some unique pieces in this set. These are the red castle walls. I don't think you find them in any other set, do you?

There are some unique pieces in this set. These are the red castle walls. I don't think you find them in any other set, do you?

According to the databases, they are found only in this set.

Great review :thumbup:

Now why would you call this "Legends"? Isn't it a Lion Knights set? :tongue:

This is a great set and with the coming of the Medieval Market Village I guess we'll see many MOC's inspired by this set in the future.

I think that the Legends was just used to distinguish this set from the orginal 1986 set number 6067. Exactly the same set but re-released.

This is a great set and and nice review. I own the orginal 6067 and it always features in both my Castle and Town/City projects (where it works nicely as a medievel inn in an old part of a town).

So many cool features and great unique pieces. Unfortunately, my flag/sign has started to wear out but I love the set nonetheless!

Cheers

Rog

Great review :thumbup:

This is a great set and with the coming of the Medieval Market Village I guess we'll see many MOC's inspired by this set in the future.

At least I don't call Black Knights "Dragon Knights." :tongue:

Making fun of people, are we?

I guess you had it coming then. :tongue:

Great reivew dj2005.

Keep'em coming.

Making fun of people, are we?

I guess you had it coming then. :tongue:

Great reivew dj2005.

Keep'em coming.

You could've at least capitalized the D and K. :hmpf_bad:

My next review will likely be on the Black Falcon's Fortress. Due to midterms, I will not be able to start it until the end of this week.

Outstanding set with a wonderful review. This is one of the sets that appeared in LEGEND, and is there for a very good reason. Indeed, it is rare to see such set appearing in Classic Castle lines. I feel that this can be a great addition of both present and past Castle sets. In fact, I always wanted to have this, to add onto mine Black Falcon Fortress. I can imagine the beauty of this set. :blush:

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good reviews. :thumbup:

I think there is a guy called Dragonator, assumed both Black Knights and Dragon Knights as one banner. Well, I treat them in both clear different entity. :grin:

My next review will likely be on the Black Falcon's Fortress. Due to midterms, I will not be able to start it until the end of this week.

It seemed you have a new title. :laugh: I was hoping someone could do a Black Falcon Fortress review, and I was expecting it from you. If possible, for that review, could you show me a picture of both Black Falcon Fortress and Guarded Inn combined together. I am looking forward to that. :wink:

Outstanding set with a wonderful review. This is one of the sets that appeared in LEGEND, and is there for a very good reason. Indeed, it is rare to see such set appearing in Classic Castle lines. I feel that this can be a great addition of both present and past Castle sets. In fact, I always wanted to have this, to add onto mine Black Falcon Fortress. I can imagine the beauty of this set. :blush:

I think there is a guy called Dragonator, assumed both Black Knights and Dragon Knights as one banner. Well, I treat them in both clear different entity. :grin:

It seemed you have a new title. :laugh: I was hoping someone could do a Black Falcon Fortress review, and I was expecting it from you. If possible, for that review, could you show me a picture of both Black Falcon Fortress and Guarded Inn combined together. I am looking forward to that. :wink:

Truth be told (and I mentioned this in the Reviewer's Academy forum), I also thought Black Knights were either Dragon Knights or a sub-faction of Dragon Knights. TLC must've became a bit lazy when designing the Dragon Knights' faction logo.

As for your request, indeed I will, or at least try. I do not think that both connecting sections of the Fortress will connect to the Inn. I'll see what I can do without modifying the two sets. I do have two Guarded Inns so maybe I can get them to work better than one.

It looks great especially the minifigs. :tongue:

This set looks good, no wonder Castle theme is a good seller every now and then.

I think this is the best lego set ever. I love the design, it looks like these old houses you can still find in France or Germany.

anyway, I own 2x set 6067. I also bought set 7979 (advent calender) 2x to replace the old maid.

I have some preview pictures of guarded inn and black falcons castle together with blacksmith shop:

100_5845.jpg

I disassembled everything for claening ang replacement of some damaged parts so I could post some pictures in a few days...

Ah ... nostalgia! :cry_happy:

I used to own this set or rather the original (showing my age here). It was probably the last Lego set that I got before I was 'too big' for Lego. I have fond memories of it. It's nice to be reminded of some of the features I'd long since forgotten about. One thing I liked about it was that the maiden wore trousers instead of the non-posable skirt pieces you usually get.

Recently I came across some of the red/black printed pieces when I was getting something from my parent's attic. Sadly time and my younger brother have not been kind to them. If only Lego had reissued this set when my son was old enough to play with Lego without feeling an overwhelming desire to eat it. :tongue:

Great review. I really wish I had bought this set when I had the chance.

By the way, does anybody know the difference between Lion Knights and Crusaders? Aren't they the same?

Great review, thanks for posting it! :thumbup:

The set is great, I bought it from ebay several months ago (with instructions and box!) - the original version, not the "Legends" one.

It's a nice build, the design is great from both the outside and the inside of the inn! Great little set, looks cosy and beautiful from all sides (now the latest Lego sets look nice only from the front, but this set here looks great from any side!!) :thumbup:

I really love this set!