Close. there's 22 rohirrim plus eomer and theoden on horseback and 2 more rohan on the way. And I forgot the 2 uruks from the Orc forge.

OH Wow, those mirrors were laying tricks with my head. :tongue: Nice army you have there though!

Here is my Rohan Army fighting some uruks. The display is temporary until the room we are working on gets done and I can fully display my Helms Deep. I also have about 12 more uruks waiting to join the battle.

*snip*

That's an awesome army right there! :wub:Are those Vinylmation's I see on the shelf below? :tongue:

That's an awesome army right there! :wub:Are those Vinylmation's I see on the shelf below? :tongue:

;) Yes it is...my other obsession.

In total probably about 6. Some of those are eomer mixed with rohan soldier parts to add variety. I'm also been trading uruks for rohirrim, eomers and horses.

Just out of curiosity, but why are you trading off the Uruk-Hai for Rohan soldiers? In the film/books the Uruk-hai vastly out number the Rohirrium. I am guessing you just like the way they look a lot more and plan on using them for other things?

Just out of curiosity, but why are you trading off the Uruk-Hai for Rohan soldiers? In the film/books the Uruk-hai vastly out number the Rohirrium. I am guessing you just like the way they look a lot more and plan on using them for other things?

I know...I've just always liked the rohirrim. I've still got about 20 uruks.

Finally got around to taking some (terrible) pics of my armies. Since most of my LEGO is assembled and on display, I don't have that much to work with building scenery. I slapped something together to add some environment, but admittedly, it's pretty bare.

I'm still building the LOTR stuff, so I'll save those for later.

Anyway, here are my armies...

Crusaders (32)

Army-Crusaders4.jpg

Black Falcons (11)

Army-Falcons1.jpg

Black Knights (35)

Army-BlackKnights1.jpg

Forestmen (16)

Army-Forest1.jpg

Wolfpack (6)

Army-Wolfpack1.jpg

Crownies (21)

Army-Crownies2.jpg

Lions (21)

Army-Lions4.jpg

Dragons (19)

Army-Dragons2.jpg

Edited by SirBlake

I don't really have any "ensemble" pics yet, as the army isn't 100% assembled... but currently for my main armies from Kingdoms I have:

Green Dragons (total 37):

- 1x Crossbow Soldier with broad rim helm

- 1x Crossbow Soldier with neck protector helm

- 2x Crossbow Jester

- 1x Axe + Shield soldier with neck protector helm

- 5x Axe Knight with slit helm

- 4x Axe + Shield soldier with broad rim helm

- 2x Hand Axe + Shield knight with slit helm

- 2x Halberd + Shield Knight with neck protector helm and breastplate

- 1x Sword + Shield knight with slit helm and breastplate

- 9x Sword + Shield soldier with neck protector helm

- 2x Spearman with broad rim helm

- 4x Flail + shield soldier with broad rim helm

- 1x Wizard

- 1x Wizard Queen

- 1x Wizard King

Lions (total 40):

- 3x Crossbow soldier with neck protector helm

- 5x Sword Knight with fixed grille helm

- 8x Sword + Shield Knight with slit helm

- 8x Spearman with neck protector helm

- 1x Spearman with broad rim helm

- 4x Spear + shield soldier with broad rim helm

- 4x Sword + shield soldier with broad rim helm

- 2x Corseque soldier with neck protector helm

- 2x Corseque + Shield knight with slit helm

- 1x King

- 1x Queen

- 1x Mounted battle-geared King

Undead faction (possibly GD-aligned):

- Evil Knight

- 5x Skeleton with neck protector helm and probably random weapons

The pictures are coming at some point! I'd still like to expand the armies further, but I'm not sure how much I'll be able to expand. I guess it depends on how long the Chess sets stay in production, as I most likely can't get more than the one I have right now in the near future.

In addition I also have a few older soldiers from '88-'94, but those are staying separate from the Kingdoms armies as they're in a pretty beaten-up condition.

Reading through tvih's list reminded me of something that I do, and I was wondering if anyone else builds armies this way: I do my best to line up torso-to-helmet-to-weapon. For example, all of my Lion crossbowmen/archers use the scale mail torso with the straps/belts and kettle helm. All of my spearmen use the quarters torso and neck protector helm.

Because of this, one of my favorite factions is the Crownies.

5x Archers = Scale + Kettle

5x Spearmen = Quarters + Neck Protector

5x Swordsmen = Scale w/crown armor and sword belt + Neck Protector

5x Knights = Knight Armor and Grille or Flip Visor Helms

Everyone that isn't an archer gets a shield.

I do the same with other factions where I can. There's just something so satisfying to the uniformity of the ranks.

Edit: Thought of something else. Wherever possible, I also unify things like helmet color. For example, There are several instances where Crusader archers came with grey helmets. I've gone back and changed them to black.

Edited by SirBlake

Reading through tvih's list reminded me of something that I do, and I was wondering if anyone else builds armies this way: I do my best to line up torso-to-helmet-to-weapon. For example, all of my Lion crossbowmen/archers use the scale mail torso with the straps/belts and kettle helm. All of my spearmen use the quarters torso and neck protector helm.

Well, I'd like to do that, to a point at least. Right now the soldiers are pretty much assembled the way they were in the instructions. Chances are there will be changes later to "facilitate visual cohesion". Although - it's hard to explain fully, but I have an aversion of mixing parts between sets these days. Probably mostly because my childhood sets are a mess in large part because of endless mixing. But I'm even getting some new weapons today from PaB, so I'll have to put them to use anyway, and if I manage to get even more soldiers, I'll have to start choosing what type of soldiers I'm going to create eventually. It'd look much nicer than the mixed motley crews you get out of the box. A good example is the big army by Dovchenko in the first page of this thread, it looks awesome.

I still have yet to take pictures of my armies. I've been into too many other things to make the time.

But I do something similar. I match up weapons with headgear and torso as well. I try to keep them as uniform as possible, even if it isn't realistic for the time period.

Although, I have Crusaders using light gray and the Falcons/Black Knights to have black headgear.

But impressive armies everyone. I hope to join the ranks soon.

I favour almost the exact opposite. I can't stand clone / uniform armies in medieval settings to be honest.

Ok, first my old motley crew. As you can say, they're in a sad shape, and don't even have enough weapons these days after the destructive ways of my youngest brother and also more recently my niece (who doesn't play with LEGOs, she just destroys them... or so it seems :sceptic:). They're safe now, but it's too late. Though the actual wear on the colors etc is from heavy playing from long ago, it's just the broken and missing stuff that's not my doing.

vanhat_ritarit.jpg

And then my currently-assembled Kingdoms armies. I already rearmed them as you can see. Missing Wizard and Evil Knight that I have assembled but forgot to add, and also the skeletons since they're missing arms (silly that PaB has all skeleton pieces but not arms, so gotta BL them at some point). King's Castle and more copies of Knights Showdown and Prison Carriage Rescue are yet unopened, thus the army isn't at its full potential manpower yet.

kingdoms_armeija.jpg

I have this mad craving to buy loads more soldiers, but that's difficult right now money-wise. And what I have should already be enough, but since when did cravings make sense anyway! Not to mention I still want/need Escape From Dragon Prison, Kingdoms Joust and Prison Tower Rescue even if I don't buy more chess sets for pure army building.

As for further thoughts on the "clone armies"... well, I suppose for me personally it depends. I like having some uniformity, but it's still nice to have several types of soldiers. Here I have on the Dragon side for example the axe+shield, sword+shield, handaxe+shield, halberd and crossbow soldiers. Similar selection for the Lions, though they'd have more crossbowmen (the neck protector helm ones that are unarmed right now) if not for the lack of crossbows and quivers, which I need to hunt down from BL at some point I guess.

Having an entirely mixed army isn't that bad either I guess, but I kind of like having the feeling that these are proper well-trained and organized armies instead of random bands of hooligans. But even so, I did have the urge to keep the minifigs "as per instructions"... but too late for that now! In any case my old childhood soldiers were always a motley crew, so I guess some uniformity is a good chance of pace in that sense too.

While they are not all huge masses of troops, it is a lot of fun to see a few of the older factions making an appearance.

I favour almost the exact opposite. I can't stand clone / uniform armies in medieval settings to be honest.

I'm starting to learn the joy in that way of thinking too. With the new LotR stuff, I'm building up my Rohan army with a lot of miss-matched parts, and that's been quite fun as well. It works for that stuff, but I can't see myself jumbling up my classic castle armies. I like them too much as they are.

While they are not all huge masses of troops, it is a lot of fun to see a few of the older factions making an appearance.

Yeah, I don't have a huge amount of any faction, but I do have enough to fill out my castles well, and that's the main goal. I don't think I'd have much use for 100+ of any one army, but I love seeing pictures of other peoples massive armies.

On the chess board above:

Why are knights standing in for bishops?

Why are jesters standing in for knights?

I think you're reading too much into the set up. :tongue: He's just showing his forces.

Why are the towers in an army picture? :tongue:

In more seriousness though, the Jesters are in that spot because that's where the instructions say to put them.

Edited by tvih

A small Persian battle unit comprised of army and cavalry getting ready for future works.

7558623782_d2ed3cd24e_z.jpg

AC

The armies look great! :wink:

They'll be featured in a forthcoming MOC.

Too many humans.

I wanna see more Orcs, Dwarves, Elves, and Hobbit armies (yes, hobbits!)

You'll find them on a separate thread as this is more for the traditional castle armies.

AC

ACPin, what are those interesting shields you use for your impressive Persian army?