Sign in to follow this  
Lt. de Martinet

Attack on Fort de Triomphe

WOW! I am blown away by the awesomeness of this MOC! I don't really have any suggestions, because it's not finished yet, but so far it is looking superb. [but i have one suggestion, if you used standard faces, try switching them with "new" faces with expressions, as it would increase the greatness of your entry] anyway, Good luck! :pir-classic:

pat

Edited by xpatriot720x

It's looking excellent! The fort is very good,

I'll make some more comments a little later, as I need to go right now.

this is huge! i was thinking that the pier seems detached from the fort. there seems no way to access it?

My opinion:

Very nice, Lt. De Martinet! Still a WIP so I can't comment to much, but I think this one could be a winner :thumbup: .

Possible improvements:

1) Your ship needs more details...like nets and rope.

2) I love your fort, but if they are involved into heavy fighting some more blood and dead bodies might help. I think you also got to add some artillerymen to the firing cannons.

3) On first sight some of your minifigs don't have the best "movement stance" that is possible. Also watch out for using too many standard faces, facial expressions are an important part of contests like this one.

Non-brick related advise:

1) Scenes this large would benefit from using the maximum pixrate that is allowed (800x600)

2) Your first pic will be judged, when you take your final pic choose it carefully and if I were you I would add a digital background (water and land)

3) Don't forget to add a nice story :pir-wink: .

Edited by zorro3999

So far this is looking great Lt. De Martinet!

I absolutely love the rounded wall and the cannon smoke is very creative. I also love your dock, as it has a good angle and looks very realistic.

A few things you could improve are:

1) Since this is a battle scene, I feel there should be some more blood and bodies laying around for us bloodthirsty members! :pir-devil:

2) Making a few more people running around and in action, would enhance your entry's excitement.

3) You may still change this for the final post, but adding a story behind your entry makes it much more interesting.

4) In the finished product, you should make sure to include some close-up pictures to see all of the details.

So far, your entry is looking fantastic and I can't wait to see the finished product!

But i have one suggestion, if you used standard faces, try switching them with "new" faces with expressions, as it would increase the greatness of your entry

They are "new" faces, actually. You can't see them very well, though, I'm afraid.

I was thinking that the pier seems detached from the fort. there seems no way to access it?

From this angle, I can see why you would say that. However, there is a large area behind the curved wall, and a staircase that leads from that to where the female pirate is standing. Perfectly minifig-accessible!

Possible improvements:

1) Your ship needs more details...like nets and rope.

I'll add them, if I can squeeze them in. The ship still needs some work; it's really why I still call the creation a WIP.

2) I love your fort, but if they are involved into heavy fighting some more blood and dead bodies might help. I think you also got to add some artillerymen to the firing cannons.

Well, the pirates are supposed to have just arrived. Why does everyone think that "evilness" requires blood? I might add some more, though... :pir-devil:

3) On first sight some of your minifigs don't have the best "movement stance" that is possible. Also watch out for using too many standard faces, facial expressions are an important part of contests like this one.

Hrm, really? Which ones are you referring to? I tried to mostly have them look very animated and realistic, but I may have failed somewhere...

Non-brick related advise:

1) Scenes this large would benefit from using the maximum pixrate that is allowed (800x600)

2) Your first pic will be judged, when you take your final pic choose it carefully and if I were you I would add a digital background (water and land)

3) Don't forget to add a nice story :pir-wink: .

Like I said at the bottom of my post, I can't do much about the background right now. I will have a better photography set-up soon, though, and I'll provide better pictures then.

You want a story? I'll tell you a story! Once upon a time, there were three little pigs...

Oh, you mean a story that's actually somewhat related to the creation? :pir-blush: I'll see what I can do!

A few things you could improve are:

-snip-

2) Making a few more people running around and in action, would enhance your entry's excitement.

-snip-

4) In the finished product, you should make sure to include some close-up pictures to see all of the details.

2) That's all the bluecoat torsos I have, but I could add more pirates... :pir-skull:

4) Oh I will, don't you worry!

Thanks for your input, everyone!

Edited by Lt. de Martinet

2) That's all the bluecoat torsos I have, but I could add more pirates... :pir-skull:

I actually meant to put the existing figs in positions of more action. But more pirates certainly won't hurt! :shark::pir-devil:

Can't wait to see the finished product!

is that Icecream for the canon smoke ? that' s a nice use of it .. I wish I had those pieces!

does the guy stealing the chest have 2 wooden legs ? ^^

that's a really nice entry Lt de Martinet , I really like it ! I wish you the best for the contest ! ^^

I like this scene , that's nicely done even if it don't really show the "cruelty" of pirates, it's a pillage scene ... well , a fort attack scene! but there is some "pillage spirit" in it ^^ so I think it's ok ! I just have to say that the pirates are really intrepid! to attack such a well defended fort!

the only thing I see to improve it with the actuals pictures is to makes better sails for your ship, these one are not really nice , in my opinion ^^

Wow, this rock fortress is really breathtaking! Quite a masterpiece! I'm eagerly waiting for the finished version! I like it that you have used the classic colours for fortresses of the pirate theme, namely white and yellow. The fortress seems to be hard to conquer since it is on a rock. Good idea to place it on a rock. And I also like that impressive ship. Continue this good work!

Nice entry!

What I like:

The fort and ship are built beautifully. The action is great, and the cannons firing is animated perfectly. The intricate designs and rock formations on the walls are very cool!

What could be improved:

I would suggest that you add more cruelty and perhaps blood, to fit the theme of the contest.

I really like your entry though, good luck!

is that Icecream for the canon smoke ? that' s a nice use of it .. I wish I had those pieces!

does the guy stealing the chest have 2 wooden legs ? ^^

Yes, I'm glad you noticed! He also has two hook-hands, and can't see out of either eye...

I like an odd bit of humor in my MOCs. :pir-tongue:

-snip-

The only thing I see to improve it with the actuals pictures is to makes better sails for your ship, these one are not really nice , in my opinion ^^

I didn't make these sails; they're official LEGO, as I am a purist: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4294314

I won't change them; I like their torn and battle-worn look.

I didn't make these sails; they're official LEGO, as I am a purist: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4294314

oh, I didn't noticed that , so that's only official parts ? well done ! ^^ If you like how it looks, that's fine! but now I think that they'll have some difficulty to run-away with these "battle-worn" sails ^^ they're so torn that I think their ship will not go very fast!

He also has two hook-hands

ahah yes that's right! poor guy, his life must be very sad! ^^

Awesome job :thumbup:

I'll have to look into getting me some of those sails - great idea!

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the blue trim on the boat; it blends with the water rather. I know you wanted to use those ninja flags, but it still would look better with a different trim (you could keep the flags; it might work out colourisely) :pir-grin:

Oh, and lengthening one of the cannon smokes and shortening the other may help it look a bit less strange.

Awesome job :thumbup:

I'll have to look into getting me some of those sails - great idea!

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the blue trim on the boat; it blends with the water rather. I know you wanted to use those ninja flags, but it still would look better with a different trim (you could keep the flags; it might work out colourisely) :pir-grin:

Oh, and lengthening one of the cannon smokes and shortening the other may help it look a bit less strange.

Those are the only flags I have eight of, so I kind of have to use them, at the moment. What colour do you think would match them nicely?

About the smoke, that was suggested to me over on Flickr, also. I'll do that.

Thanks!

Opinion

This is a fantastic MOC with lots of detail! The rocks beneath the fort are well made with a light gray and gray to give it an even better appearance. The thing I like about your fort is the white appearance mixed with yellow bricks. The firing cannons are a nice touch to add to your MOC. I like how you have your rifles neatly set up next to each other. Your pirate ship that you also made is well done.

Possible Improvements

1) There are fights between the Imperial Armada and the pirates, but no blood. I would add some blood since this is the Pillage The Village contest.

2) I noticed that there is a guard just standing there, while pirates are dumping treasure off the side and taking treasure out of the house. Don't just have guards standing around, have them interact and fight each other.

3) The size of your MOC, I would add some waves or floating wood in the water, so it would not look so plain.

4) I can't really distinguish what is what on your pirate ship. I would add some more detail to it. Maybe add a couple of rainbow parrots to add a multi-color affect.

5) I don't think your sails are too good. I would go to the sail library and print some sails out.

Non-Brick Related

1) I would have a better background for your MOC.

2) Take some other pictures of your MOC.

3) Have some sort of story.

Overall- I think your MOC is very well done to perfection. The thing that I like the most about your MOC is that it is neatly done and has lots of tiles. Some things you could improve on, but other than that, it is great. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

My PTV Entry- Medium

My Brickshelf

My small PTV contest entry is coming soon!

Edited by LegoKing

1) I would have a better background for your MOC.

2) Take some other pictures of your MOC.

3) Have some sort of story.

LegoKing

1) Will do.

2) Of course; it's still a WIP, remember.

3) I'll see what I can do, but I doubt it'll happen.

This is really starting to look amazing! I love the design of the fort, and all of the action and details are great.

As I said before, the rounded wall is beautiful, plus that ice-cream cannonsmoke is just magnificent.

There aren't too many things I can think of to improve, but here are a few.

Some ideas:

1) It might look good to add a bit of plant life. Perhaps you could put a palm tree here or there, maybe on the beach.

2) A parrot on two perched in some different places?

3) The water looks a bit bare. I think adding a few more sharks like the one in the lower right corner would be good. You could even just have the top fin showing.

4) Maybe you could add a soldier with a scared head in a boat trying to get to shore in time.

========================================================

You've done an amazing job so far, and I greatly anticipate seeing the final version! :kahuka:

Good luck in the contest!

What a nice entry!

The fort is really beautiful! I like it a lot

The smoke from the cannons is a nice touch.

Possible improvements

You pirateship looks good in the shape, but I would make another colourscheme. Right now it's almost difficult to see it because it has the same colour as the sea. Give the ship another colour than blue.

I'd like to see some more blood. Maybe a soldier who has his head blown off.

The beach and shoreline is good.. except for one thing.. I think you should try to make some shallow water. But this off course is only possible if you've got some light blue bricks. But it sure would look good.

I'd like some close ups. And you've only given us 3 pictures. Why not use the max of 6?

I think you should add a story about this attack too. That would make it more interesting.

You say yourself that you're gonna give it another background when you're done. And that would help the presentation too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks good. I'm looking forward to the final result

Good luck with the contest.

Congratulations with finishing your entry, you have done a really good job!

I especcialy like the smoke coming out of the windows, the cannons look good too and seem to have plenty of ammo lying around.

Your minifigs look realistic and the ship is awesome!

Some points I noticed:

- Blue for a pirateship seem unnatural, it is more a soldier's color.

- I would add a story...this can still be done easily and is IMHO a great improvement!

- I think using an enhanced version of the fourth picture might be better as the first one, because it shows more IMO. If you agree you might consider using it for your first one, the one to be judged.

Since it is finished I won't look further, it is and remains a superb PTV entry and I wish you the best of luck!

Very good work Lt. De Martinet!

The fort looks amazing with the great color combination of white and yellow, plus the great cannon smoke and my favorite rounded wall.

I like that you put white tiles on the peaks, as it makes the overall thing look much smoother. Nice work with the SNOT water and waves as well.

The ship is also great with the torn sails and skeleton figurehead. For some reason the cannons really stand out to me a something that looks very nice.

One last possible improvement:

1) I think it would be great to see a story for your entry. It doesn't have to be long at all, but just something to understand exactly what's going on in your entry.

==============================================

Absolutely amazing job with your entry!

It has great action and captures the theme of the contest really well. I'll have to try out a rounded wall like that sometime. Was it hard to fit it in to the rest of the fort?

Great work and good luck! :pir-classic:

Some points I noticed:

- Blue for a pirate ship seems unnatural, it is more a soldier's color.

- I would add a story...this can still be done easily and is IMHO a great improvement!

1) Where do you think the pirates got the ship? :P

2) I'm working on it; don't hold your breath, though.

I'll have to try out a rounded wall like that sometime. Was it hard to fit it in to the rest of the fort?

A little; I'll post construction shots whenever I take the creation apart, but it won't be for a while. :pir_laugh2:

EDIT: Could an admin please change this thread's title to get rid of the "WIP"? Thanks

Edited by Lt. de Martinet

The scene is great and ill bet you will win. One strange part is that the pirate cannons arnt firing. the battle scene is great and has plenty of blood. If i could change this i would barly change it.I give it a 5 out of 5