General Armendariz

Two imperial guards, both LEGO

Well, I don't own any pirates Sets at all. but i do have pirate pieces... and I just got done making a MOC. check MOCpages for Pirate Hideaway, And had my Guard out. So i checked his buttons and they are gold. so Some are black some are Gold. :jollyroger:

Maybe the black button ones were from the re-issues in the early nineties?

My thoughts exactly!

Or perhaps they changed the design after the 1989 year? I think by memory the re-release where all blue coats.

Regards, Cpt PB

I'll have to check some of my Imperials and see if I find any difference.

So far no luck for me... but what about the Bluecoats... is there somebody with this "error" ?!

Yea somebody ought to check them for different colored buttons.

I've checked all 16 of my bluecoats and nothing their all the same. I just think it was an error

only with the red coats. But if someone finds one...Well another good topic

This was my thought exactly. I have about 25 redcoats, and not a one of them has black buttons. My guess is the re-issued sets had the black buttons instead of gold. But weren't the re issues in the early 2000's? Oh, I also checked my bluecoats and out of 30 of them, none of them differ in anyway.

Edited by HMS243

I checked my nine blue coats and none of them have black buttons :pir_bawling:

I think we can put our hopes for an 'Blue coat error print' in the refrigerator. And maybe it's like Wes & HMS243 said and I quote: the black button ones were from the re-issues. But let's hope that one day a Blue coats comes out of the closet... :pir-wink:

One remark… it is, however, strange that there are so few (talking about the Red coats). If you consider that everyone of us have Red coats in the arsenal of mini figures (bought in the past years on Ebay, Bricklink or from his childhood).

My money says cloned, here is why. It has to do with print and seperating colors. A website, Gizmodo, or something like that, had some videos from the LEGO factory. These videos showed elements being sorted and the vault and even some torsos being printed. When a clone brick manufacturer goes to redo the colors they wil be messy and many times switched aroung because the process for color seperation in printing can be tricky and it is easier for them to no be too particular about it. There is that one FAKE brand that makes the silver swords and all the sets are near copies of LEGO ones. If you look closely you will see the torsos are always very similar but not identical. I bet this is their handy work. Buying LEGO on ebay is iffy at best, you never really know what you are getting. On bricklink you stand a better chance of getting the real thing. I bought all my Imerial Soldiers at Toys R Us back in the day and I know they are all real and they all have Gold Buttons. Also, for the LEGO printer to switch the black and gold like they are it would be a monumental screw up.

My money says cloned, here is why. It has to do with print and seperating colors. A website, Gizmodo, or something like that, had some videos from the LEGO factory. These videos showed elements being sorted and the vault and even some torsos being printed. When a clone brick manufacturer goes to redo the colors they wil be messy and many times switched aroung because the process for color seperation in printing can be tricky and it is easier for them to no be too particular about it. There is that one FAKE brand that makes the silver swords and all the sets are near copies of LEGO ones. If you look closely you will see the torsos are always very similar but not identical. I bet this is their handy work. Buying LEGO on ebay is iffy at best, you never really know what you are getting. On bricklink you stand a better chance of getting the real thing. I bought all my Imerial Soldiers at Toys R Us back in the day and I know they are all real and they all have Gold Buttons. Also, for the LEGO printer to switch the black and gold like they are it would be a monumental screw up.

I would disagree with that... all my soldiers were bought brand new from either KMart or Toys R Us. There were no Wal Marts or Targets in my area when I was a little kid. I've never bought used Lego.. I sell on Bricklink, but I've never bought anything from there. I also doubt it has anything to do with a "reissue" because all of my Pirate sets were bought the first time around, within the first year of production.

I think it's just some freak deal where Lego changed printing.. because to make things a little interesting for me, every single set I own came with 2 red coat torsos. I have 6 red coats, and only 1 of them has black buttons. That means I got one black button torso, and one gold button torso in the same set.. but I don't know which one it was. It was either the Imperial Flagship or the Bounty Boat. Those are my only sources of original red coats.

It could rapidly happen if one of the works at TLC had put the wrong color in the wrong cartridge.

This is possible because normally if a printing production line stops at the end of the day, you have to clean the complete line. Otherwise the inkt will become as hard as stone. With the result that you can throw away all the components of the machine that had contact with the inkt. By doing this cleaning process all the cartridges are clean when they start the next day (assuming that TLC doesn't work 24/24). Maybe they saw it, but to late and some of the soldiers past the test.

Edited by Capt. Kirk

My money says cloned, here is why. It has to do with print and seperating colors. A website, Gizmodo, or something like that, had some videos from the LEGO factory. These videos showed elements being sorted and the vault and even some torsos being printed.

I saw those videos also (Inside TLC)... but don't forget we talk about a printing process in the years 1992-1995. It was a different way in those days... not that different but different. With other words there was more done manual. Now it's full speed and with many hightec (see videos).

When a clone brick manufacturer goes to redo the colors they wil be messy and many times switched aroung because the process for color seperation in printing can be tricky and it is easier for them to no be too particular about it.

Do not underestimate a clone brick manufacturer. In comparison with other factory processes is printing one of easiest. It is not this difficult to perfectly print. I have done art-school and I used many times the process of serigraphy... you can do it without problem and perfect. The more so if it is on a flat area... what a torso is.

Also, for the LEGO printer to switch the black and gold like they are it would be a monumental screw up.

Maybe it was... :pir-wink:

It could rapidly happen if one of the works at TLC had put the wrong color in the wrong cartridge.

This is possible because normally if a printing production line stops at the end of the day, you have to clean the complete line. Otherwise the inkt will become as hard as stone. With the result that you can throw away all the components of the machine that had contact with the inkt. By doing this cleaning process all the cartridges are clean when the start the next day (assuming that TLC doesn't work 24/24). Maybe they saw it, but to late and some of the soldiers past the test.

I think that actually makes the most sense, Congrats Capt. Kirk, I think you've come up with the best explanation.. :thumbup::thumbup:

This thread again...

Kirk, well done, I like you thinking and I see it quite likely.

Although you obviously put a lot of thought and time into your post, Blackheart Brit. So well done!