Millacol88

Review: Set 7667 Imperial Dropship

What do you think of the Imperial Dropship?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Set Name: Imperial Dropship

Set Number: 7667

Theme: Star Wars :vader:

Released: 2008

Price: EUR 8.99, USD 9.99, CDN 13.99

Pieces: 81

Minifigures:1

Lego S@H description:Build your Imperial forces! Send in the Imperial Dropship with its stormtrooper squad! Equipped with laser cannons and a detachable troop platform, this speedy space transport is ready to battle the Rebellion on any planet in the Empire. Includes 3 stormtroopers and shadow stormtrooper pilot! Lift back up to drop the clone troop platform into battle! Imperial Dropship is 4" (10 cm) long!

Brickset

Peeron

Bricklink

Brickshelf

Review

The Box

Front

001.jpg

The box has a very well-done picture, showing the Imperial Dropship setting down some stormtroopers while being pelted by laserfire.

Back

002.jpg

The back of the box shows the four minifigures included with the set, the dropping function as well as the opening cockpit canopy. It also shows the dropship engaged in battle with its counterpart, the Rebel Scout Speeder.

The Instructions

Front

003.jpg

Using the same picture as the box, the instructions are of great quality but are almost unnecessary as this is a very simple set that you can make with just the picture on the box.

Back

004.jpg

The back of the instruction booklet is an advertisement for a contest put on by lego. I would have preferred had they filled up the space with some alternate models instead.

The Minifigures

005.jpg

These are really the sets bread and butter, and the reason most people bought it. It includes three ordinary stormtroopers and one imperial pilot. The pilot is the same as the stormtroopers, except that whatever is white on the trooper, is black on the pilot, and whatever is black on the trooper, is gray on the pilot. The minifigures are great, and the only reason I bought the set. These are the first stormtroopers I have ever owned, however I am told that they are slightly different from previous incarnations. I would have prefered if TLC had simply included four stormtroopers, and left out the pilot, but I suppose it is more realistic if there is someone to fly it. On the plus side, the imperial pilot is a fairly rare minifigure, since we haven't seen a TIE in a while.

The Back

006.jpg

Here you see that TLC did not skimp on the detailing of the figs, and did some nice printing on the backs of the figures.

Accessories/Weapons

007.jpg

Four blasters (two long and two short) have been included. I would once again like to take this oppurtunity to thank the bright spark at TLC who thought of making detailed, molded blasters.

Stickers/Decals

008.jpg

Sadly, the DSS rears its ugly head in this set. Three stickers, all of a gray imperial symbol on a clear backdrop, have been included. I would have much prefered if TLC had just printed them. It boggles my mind as to why there are ever stickers in any set. I would be willing to pay a few dollars more for every set if they simply used prints instead of decals.

The Imperial Dropship

009.jpg

Wow.....Its.....Something......

Basically, I think this dropship looks like a pile of random bricks. It includes a nice mix of ordinary and unusual parts, but the end result leaves a lot to be desired. I just think TLC could have done something way better than this. There is a nice function that lets you drop the troops off by flipping up the rear fins, but it doesn't make up for the jumbled and ugly look of the actual vehicle. The cockpit was designed poorly too, it has no controls and there is a large open space on either side of the pilot. I'm glad this set came with some great figs....

Blaster Cannon

010.jpg

This cannon, which can be found on either side of the dropship, looks okay but I think it would have been better if it could rotate side to side.

Dropping Mechanism

011.jpg

This is designed well and is very unobtrusive to the design of the ship. It really is one of the vehicles few redeeming qualities.

012.jpg

Heres the dropship just after unloading the troop platform.

013.jpg

And here it is having closed the rear-fin mechanism.

Cockpit Canopy

014.jpg

This is semi-transparent, and is a nice and useful mold for MOCs.

Gun Holder

015.jpg

The two long blasters can be placed in these holes, providing the ship with some extra armament.

Entire Set

016.jpg

Heres the dropship with the troops loaded!

Design: 6/10 The dropship is really not that great.

Playability: 7/10 The ship is sturdy and fun to swoosh.

Minifigures: 10/10 They are perfect in every way.

Price: 7/10 When you think about all your getting, this is definitey worth the price

Ease of Build: 10/10 The instructions are unnecessary.

Total: 40/50

Conclusion

This set is sort of a mixed bag. On one hand, you have the poorly designed dropship. But on the other, you have great figs at an okay price and some interesting pieces and great playability. Basically, If your buying this for the minifigures, definitely pick it up. But if you are thinking about buying it for the vehicle, I think you will be disappointed.

Thank you for reading my review of the Imperial Dropship. Questions, comments, and constructive critisisms are welcome.

Could Someone please add a poll?

Edited by WhiteFang
Poll added

Thanks for the detailed review millacol88 :thumbup: . I actually think this set is fairly well designed and to be honest I really like the vehicle to me the best of all the vehicles designed for a battlepack :wacko::laugh: .

Nice review, very descriptive and great pics, but the Pilots are actually Shadow Stormtroopers, they were in the tie crawler last year.

IMO the dropship isn't that bad for the parts, you can tell the designers have been inspired by and have tried to create a stripped down, imperial version of the Republic Gunship

will you be reviewing the Rebel Scout Speeder?

Nice Review but its not an Imperial Pilot its a Shadow Stromtrooper. :tongue::wink:

I need to get atleast 2 more of these and maybe a rebel one so they have someone to blast :devil::vader:

Stormie Army ON! :vader:

A super army builder set.

Only annoying parts is: "What the heck are we to do with that Shadow Trooper?"

Stormies :thumbup: Shadow Stormie :thumbdown:

Indexed

Yes, it appears you are all right, the prints on the heads and torsos of the imperial pilot and the shadow stormtrooper are totally different and the one in this set is definitely a shadow. It makes me wonder why they didn't just use a TIE pilot. :wacko:

I got two of these right away, but now they seem like a waste. Still stormtroopers are cool, but i dont see why Lego included a shadow stormie?!?!? This set probably decreased its value a lot since its not exclusive in a big set like the TIE crawler(which by the way seems very undesirable)

I don't like this set at all, the only positive point is the fact there are a good number of minifigs and weapons included.

I will NOT buy this set...

Nice review, keep up the good work!

I didn't like the dropship initially, but after fiddling around it became a hit and I bring it with the stormies to work everyday.

Thanks for the review, love it :)

Thanks for the review. Its a good one. I do own a couple of this set but its too expensive to build an army with that even though this is the only kind of army building set available for Star Wars. I like the idea of having multiple stormtroopers. The problem is, I don't understand why you guys don't like the Shadow Troopers? I am not sure on the history on this minifig, but I find it very cool and special looking. Perhaps, some of you could shed some light on why you guys don't really like this Shadow Trooper?

The minifigs are cool but the dropship is pretty average or below. I get this set, mainly for its figs. :tongue:

p.s: I added the poll for you, and in your set information, amend the minifigs from 1 to 4. :wink:

If you find a shop that sells these for 8.99 euros, please tell me :p

The price is +- 12.99 euro :sceptic:

They aren't shadow troopers or pilots, but Black Hole stormtroopers. (the black hole being something from the Expanded Universe)

I still need to buy this set, but certainly will for the minifigs.

TT

EDIT: I see that the black stormtrooper in figure form is called shadow trooper too though...

Edited by Tanotrooper

I didn't like the dropship initially, but after fiddling around it became a hit and I bring it with the stormies to work everyday.

Thanks for the review, love it :)

wow. you really love the set don't you? haha.

as with most people who buy this set, i bought it for the stormtroopers.

:vader: I loved it this was amazing I loved those black clones!!!

(dont say im racist because I said BLACK clones lol)

Errmm theyre Blackhole Stormtroopers. :hmpf_bad::wink:

And no I dont really see why we'd say your racist for saying black clones... :look:

I need to get more of these sets! :wub:

I got this yesterday, and it's kind of nice for a little ship. One little gripe is the way the storm troopers sit, it looks really funny for a drop ship. I stood them up, but one gets and engine in the face. :tongue:

I bought two copies of this set. I tried to combine them in some way, but this is the first time I've just given up and scrapped it... :sceptic:

If you don't like Star Wars, all those minifigs are completely irrelevant. Star Wars are typically minifigs that can't be used for much else than Star Wars.

That said, some star wars sets have great designs. But when I saw this picture my first impression was too: 'random pile of bricks'....

I bought 3 of these to stock up on stormies. After having this set for a while, it's gotten boring. I agree with you guys, an odd and useless ship, and the Shadow Trooper gets in the way if you're buying the set for minifigures.

I like this set a lot. Before I got it I had 4 storm troopers and now I have a few more. I'm considering going to the store and picking up another one. :classic:

The only thing is that I would've preferred if TLC gave us a regular stormie instead of a blackhole stormie.

Edited by BRICKLANTA

The black stormie... is he supposed to be a shadow stormie or a pilot? Anyway, the new TIE Fighter Pilot from the Planet Series rocks!