1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello all Eurobricks members and Town Lovers,

Today, I will be posting a very special and entertaining review ever in Eurobricks! In conjunction with my 2000th post in Eurobricks, I will assure you that this is one of the most enjoyable review you have ever read. :wub: Keep your eyes peel for some familar characters. May I present, one of the best accessories packs in Classic Town, the "Road Signs".

*Everyone claps*

Name: Road Signs

Theme: LEGO System / Town / Accessories / Signs

Year: 1988

Pieces: 11

Minifigs: 0

Price: USD $3.00

An image of a 6315, Road Signs

1.jpg

Let the showcase begins

2.jpg

This is an excellent accessories pack, which comes with an instant 11 road signs, to be placed onto any road baseplates. Yes, there are a total of 11 signs in the original package. However, in this review, I will only feature 10.5 Road Signs. You will find out where my 0.5 road sign is eventually. I wonder why TLG, no longer produces road signs. It was last produced in 1999.

Great to connect road baseplates

6.jpg

Although, this road signs are fragile to handle, it is an excellent accessories pack to add on. Most importantly, these signs are all printed! :wub:

In fact, I used to own two packs of these in my childhood, and merely 55% of them actually survived over time. Why is that? Because when I was a child, I stepped on quite a few, and damaged them, ending up broken. :cry_sad:

Let me give all of you some driving theory lessons in LEGO Classic Town!

First lesson, Introduction to Road Signs.

Part 1

3.jpg

Starting from the left to right,

a) Speed Limit (Do not exceed 40km/hr)

b) Dangerous Intersection

c) STOP ( Stop before the white line. Give way to traffic from the right and left.)

Part 2

4.jpg

Starting from the left to right,

a) No left turn

b) No entry for all vehicles

c) Children (Slow down. Beware of children crossing the road)

Part 3

5.jpg

Starting from left to right,

a) Road Works (Slow down. Drive carefully. Do not overtake or park your vehicle.)

b) No Waiting (Vehicles may stop to allow boarding or alighting only)

c) Parking (300m ahead)

Part 4

16.jpg

This is my 0.5 road sign. Because it was broken when I stepped on it. That's why I used these to support the road sign.

a) No overtaking

This is some of the classic footage that is taken from the Classic Town Traffic Police Department.

Please enjoy viewing these images. :wink:

STOP

7.jpg

8.jpg

TheBrickster is stopping in front of the road junction, to demonstrate good traffic behaviour even when he is being chased by Johnny Thunder. :tongue:

Road works

9.jpg

Construction workers are making sure that the roads are serviced at a regular basis.

Speed Limit (40km/hr)

10.jpg

Even Fabuland Citizen Max is observing traffic rules, keeping his cruiser at 40km/hr and below.

Parking (300m ahead) & Children (Slow down)

11.jpg

Look, there is a parking area 300m ahead. Well, it seemed Max will have to slow his cruiser down, as there are children crossing within this vicinity. :tongue:

Nowadays, children sure reach puberty at a fast rate.

12.jpg

No left turn

13.jpg

This reckless driver was halted by the police for making an illegal left turn.

No entry for all vehicles

14.jpg

It seemed this driver was stopped by the Global Security Forces, led by Staudie and ImperialScouts, to deter cars from entering a restricted area.

No waiting

15.jpg

Again, this driver has parked his vehicle by the side of the road, causing a traffic jam at the right lane. It seems the quad bike is very unhappy about him. :devil:

No overtaking

17.jpg

Here is TheBrickster cutting through the right lane by stepping on the gas. It shows clearly that is a violation of traffic rules.

Oh wait, Johnny Thunder is following his back. I am quite sure Johnny Thunder is chasing the wrong person, even though TheBrickster looks a little bit like a typical villian. :tongue:

18.jpg

Dangerous Intersection

21.jpg

20.jpg

The postal van came to a halt. Look, there is a traffic jam at the back. I wonder what is happening at the front. :look:

Welcome to "Whack-a-fig" tournament!

22.jpg

Hello everyone and welcome to EB News Presents: Whack-a-Fig Edition! I'm your host, ImperialShadows. Normally, you would expect to see Hinckley and Sinner doing this, but they're busy. Well, they've accidentally been locked in a trunk and I can't remember where I left the keys. Maybe inside. :devil: Well, no matter. :laugh:

Now, let's take you down to the competitors' arena. Look, it sure has gotten messy. :laugh: Can you spot all the familiar faces in today's contest? Oooh, he just took a shovel to the head... He's going to have a headache in the morning. :wink:

24.jpg

23.jpg

To summarise, this is the one of the best accessories pack ever released. Every town needs multiple road signs to enforce law and order, making sure the road conditions are safe for our Classic Town citizens to walk around. This set is the best, and I had illustrate the key highlights in this review, and hardly you could find any reason to reject it. The only reason which is vaild, is its brittle structure. Apart from that, it's a clear full marks inside my summary review rating. :wub:

Summary review

Playability: 10/10 (Without these signs, it won't give us a real feel for the drivers. We need some signs to regulate traffic.)

Design: 10/10 (Printed road signs. Somemore, there are 11 of them!)

Price: 10/10 (It's is not expensive at all. It's printed and it is not sticker!)

Overall: 10/10 (This is a "MUST HAVE" accessories pack for all Classic Town and City lovers to create a nice road scene.)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone enjoyed reading and viewing this informative review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

I also recovered 2 of these sets with my girlfriend collection, and I have 3 broken signs :/ but you're wrong! TLG produced signs since these one :

5612-1.jpg

there is a sign in it! a different sign in 2 parts, but a sign!

there is a sign in it! a different sign in 2 parts, but a sign!

IMO, it seem to be partial complete. I do own this set and I was impressed with its printed 50km/hr speed limit. However, the thing which displeased me is the lack of its standing pole attached, instead of using different parts to make one. I was referring towards a full functional road signs. Ever since then, there is no such road signs produced until recent news leak where road signs will be appearing again in next year CITY. :sweet:

This review should serve as an example of how to add a high level of creativity and originality to any set review. I love these types of classic town utility sets, but they're not always the most fun sets to review. Right now I'm thinking how I could do a review of this set's exciting counterpart, TREES. :laugh:

But in regard to this set, you've got to love it - useful signs for any town/city. It's really unfortunate that Lego got away from these types of signs replacing them with a cheap sticker variety. This is pure Classic Town, and wonderful additions to grey or green road plates.

Sign On!

EDIT: That's a pretty small (but gas-saving) vehicle I'm driving there. You could of at least put me in a roadster.

autoside.jpg

IMO, it seem to be partial complete. I do own this set and I was impressed with its printed 50km/hr speed limit. However, the thing which displeased me is the lack of its standing pole attached, instead of using different parts to make one. I was referring towards a full functional road signs. Ever since then, there is no such road signs produced until recent news leak where road signs will be appearing again in next year CITY. :sweet:

Actually those signs for next year are also the clip on type by the looks of it (e.g. the flat triangle part with clip on back as used in the harbour set, albeit with sticker in that set) - except that the set coming out next year includes a more suitable and proper pole part. It appears to be the pole that has a 2x2 flat base and a clippable part (with stud on top) at the top of the pole.

I always wanted to own these road signs as a kid. They are quite well done. However, now that I have them, I prefer the idea of the new ones. It's a bit un-lego to have the signs all one part, and they are quite fragile. The clip on signs are more versatile (e.g. clip to a custom streetlight?) and more Lego-like.

Edited by brickzone

This review should serve as an example of how to add a high level of creativity and originality to any set review. I love these types of classic town utility sets, but they're not always the most fun sets to review. Right now I'm thinking how I could do a review of this set's exciting counterpart, TREES. :laugh:

Brickster, I will love to see what you can do with those trees. Thanks for your kind words. We can use this for our academic teaching materials for our students to be innovative and maintain a good review writing approach at the same time. :blush:

Oh, I think no one can said Classic Town Utility sets can look boring in a review. :tongue:

But in regard to this set, you've got to love it - useful signs for any town/city. It's really unfortunate that Lego got away from these types of signs replacing them with a cheap sticker variety. This is pure Classic Town, and wonderful additions to grey or green road plates.

You have just summarised this lovely set's main attraction. I agreed with you, a pure Classic Town indeed.

That's a pretty small (but gas-saving) vehicle I'm driving there. You could of at least put me in a roadster.

I love this mean vehicle of yours. It's look real nasty on the roads. Can imagine it horning behind those poor vehicles. :laugh:

Actually those signs for next year are also the clip on type by the looks of it (e.g. the flat triangle part with clip on back as used in the harbour set, albeit with sticker in that set) - except that the set coming out next year includes a more suitable and proper pole part. It appears to be the pole that has a 2x2 flat base and a clippable part (with stud on top) at the top of the pole.

Brickzone, you have highlight something which I failed to notice earlier. I never knew these new road signs are actually make of clip-on design, similar to a flag pole but using a clip instead. I thought this set was meant to welcome the old road signs. Guess, this kind of design will be written in LEGO Classic Town history for the next 20 years. :cry_sad:

I always wanted to own these road signs as a kid. They are quite well done. However, now that I have them, I prefer the idea of the new ones. It's a bit un-lego to have the signs all one part, and they are quite fragile. The clip on signs are more versatile (e.g. clip to a custom streetlight?) and more Lego-like.

To be honest, when you have the old ones and the new ones (when I get it next year). You will tend to compare both era, and sad to said, the old ones work better for me than the new ones. I don't think a new one is a failure, but an improvement which they should have done long ago, instead of killing away the road signs concept. We hardly see road signs in any of the recent sets. I prefer the old one piece road sign design.

On the other hand, I agreed with your last point. They are versatile and could be used for several building accessories or add-on which is a very good way of modifying and improvise it. :sweet:

I own several of these and of the seperate roadplates, they ware fairly priced and great to build your town/city on.

Great review BTW!

Again a great review, Whitefang! :thumbup:

I voted for Average:

I personally :wub: these older road signs much more then the new ones (which partly exist since some years now). And if the new road signs from 2009 will include stickers it'll be :sick: . But I think that a set - like the City Minifigure Collection in Jnuary 2009 - is much better than a set with only road signs because

1. only road signs surely don't sell that good (not so important for us, but for TLG),

2. only road signs are boring - with some additional stuff and minifigs they are much more handsome - and

3. you don't nead so many road signs for your Lego City - even if it's very big. Because every 8 stucks a road sign looks bad and unrealsitic.

I remember having bought a set of these road signs you reviewed here when I was very young - and some of these road signs exist even yet ( :laugh: ).

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

However, the thing which displeased me is the lack of its standing pole attached, instead of using different parts to make one.

In that set it's not an advantage, but if you want to put several signs on the same pole, that kind of construction makes sense.

Ever since then, there is no such road signs produced until recent news leak where road signs will be appearing again in next year CITY. :sweet:

And what about this set from 1999?

I hope that TLC will do new set like this. We will have some road sign in one of the '09 city set (the small one with civilians).

And I hope that TLCwill use the minifig silhouette for sign like the crossing sign, instead of human one. It will be funnyer and more realistic fora minifig civilisation :tongue: !

Ah yes, I remember accidentally stepping on these signs when I was a child. I voted a 5/5 as all of the signs are very useful, they are printed pieces, and they are quite cheap as a whole. Thanks for the review!

Thanks guys! Glad that you have enjoyed viewing this review. :sweet:

I had the 70's version of this set. Excelent set, an even better reveiw. Job well done. :thumbup:

Buttons, you could share with us a simple review of the 70s version. I am curious to those pre-minifig era.

I personally :wub: these older road signs much more then the new ones (which partly exist since some years now). And if the new road signs from 2009 will include stickers it'll be :sick: . But I think that a set - like the City Minifigure Collection in Jnuary 2009 - is much better than a set with only road signs because

1. only road signs surely don't sell that good (not so important for us, but for TLG),

2. only road signs are boring - with some additional stuff and minifigs they are much more handsome - and

3. you don't nead so many road signs for your Lego City - even if it's very big. Because every 8 stucks a road sign looks bad and unrealsitic.

I remember having bought a set of these road signs you reviewed here when I was very young - and some of these road signs exist even yet ( :laugh: ).

It's nice to know your thoughts on classic town and city sets. I won't be pleased to know if the new road signs are going to be sticker. I am hoping those will be printed. Road signs are not very boring. If you add in minifigs into it, the cost of road signs will go up, adding a much heavier price onto it. Since its meant to be accessories, I think it should be priced similar to current impulse sets to encourage collectors to buy more. It's true that I don't need to have many road signs but you defintely need some signs at every junction. I am sure there are some reckless drivers need instruction to guide their driving. :grin:

In that set it's not an advantage, but if you want to put several signs on the same pole, that kind of construction makes sense.

If you are intending to place several signs onto the same pole, that pole must have a certain height to support the signs. Otherwise, they will be likely to touch the ground.

This is an excellent accessories pack, which comes with an instant 11 road signs, to be placed onto any road baseplates. Yes, there are a total of 11 signs in the original package. However, in this review, I will only feature 10.5 Road Signs. You will find out where my 0.5 road sign is eventually. I wonder why TLG, no longer produces road signs. It was last produced in 1999.
And what about this set from 1999?

Hey Alex! I have not seen you around for sometimes. Well, I actually mentioned it in my review. Later, that comment which I type, is a little off track. Sorry for the mix up. :tongue:

If TLG ever create such design, I am very sure it's meant for all town citizens which is minifig size. Brickster and I used to have an idea of putting up Kangaroo Crossing for the Outback sets. :laugh:

It's true that I don't need to have many road signs but you defintely need some signs at every junction. I am sure there are some reckless drivers need instruction to guide their driving. :grin:

You're right, Whitefang. When there are more accessories included in a set with road signs the price for this set and even the price per road sign increases.

But think about that you only need many road signs if you own a big Lego City. And when this city is very big and mostly urban I think it would be more interesting and true to life if you add traffic lights to the main streets since in reality there are in big cities more traffic lights than road signs. :grin:

In any case I'll buy one set of the City Minifigure Collection - and then order more parts for more traffic lights and benchs via PAB or Ebay. :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks guys! Glad that you have enjoyed viewing this review. :sweet:

Buttons, you could share with us a simple review of the 70s version. I am curious to those pre-minifig era.

It's nice to know your thoughts on classic town and city sets. I won't be pleased to know if the new road signs are going to be sticker. I am hoping those will be printed. Road signs are not very boring. If you add in minifigs into it, the cost of road signs will go up, adding a much heavier price onto it. Since its meant to be accessories, I think it should be priced similar to current impulse sets to encourage collectors to buy more. It's true that I don't need to have many road signs but you defintely need some signs at every junction. I am sure there are some reckless drivers need instruction to guide their driving. :grin:

If you are intending to place several signs onto the same pole, that pole must have a certain height to support the signs. Otherwise, they will be likely to touch the ground.

Hey Alex! I have not seen you around for sometimes. Well, I actually mentioned it in my review. Later, that comment which I type, is a little off track. Sorry for the mix up. :tongue:

If TLG ever create such design, I am very sure it's meant for all town citizens which is minifig size. Brickster and I used to have an idea of putting up Kangaroo Crossing for the Outback sets. :laugh:

Well Whitefang, I recently sold my 70's signs but I do have some 50's / 60's signs to share. So I think I will show them to EB today :tongue: .

But think about that you only need many road signs if you own a big Lego City. And when this city is very big and mostly urban I think it would be more interesting and true to life if you add traffic lights to the main streets since in reality there are in big cities more traffic lights than road signs. :grin:

Good point raised. Yes, I love the ideas of having multiple traffic light in one city. In reality, the drivers are always bugged by blinking traffic lights and horning. :devil: Well, it will be much interesting this way. Nevertheless, road signs and traffic lights are strongly welcomed. In my own category, I defined traffic lights under signage. :tongue:

Well Whitefang, I recently sold my 70's signs but I do have some 50's / 60's signs to share. So I think I will show them to EB today :tongue: .

Thanks Buttons. I will be looking forward to those antique signs. :sweet:

Hey Alex! I have not seen you around for sometimes.

I know, I've got a very busy time for months now (always working on my flat...)

:tongue:

In France, we don't have those roadsigns, but more the same kind with cows. And with the upcoming plastic cows, it will be funny to have a roadsign with them!

I really like your review of such a small set. You made the review so interesting and exciting to read. I like how you put each sign in a real situation.

LegoKing

I know, I've got a very busy time for months now (always working on my flat...)

Yes, keep updating us. Its nice to see you coming back to EB once in awhile. Just be sure to share with us town layout updates when you are free. :wink:

In France, we don't have those roadsigns, but more the same kind with cows. And with the upcoming plastic cows, it will be funny to have a roadsign with them!

Cow crossing! :laugh: That's a neat idea to place countryside to ensure safety of the cows moving across the road. I am sure it will be useful to the CITY 09.

I really like your review of such a small set. You made the review so interesting and exciting to read. I like how you put each sign in a real situation.

LegoKing, thanks! Its very appreciative to know that you had enjoyed reading this simple set, but in a light hearted approach. :wink:

Sign On!

EDIT: That's a pretty small (but gas-saving) vehicle I'm driving there. You could of at least put me in a roadster.

autoside.jpg

Trees you say? Which trees exactly are we talking about!?

Trees you say? Which trees exactly are we talking about!?

We are referring to these lovely Classic Town accessories in thr 1980s. :wub:

6305-1.jpg

6317-1.jpg

We are referring to these lovely Classic Town accessories in thr 1980s. :wub:

6305-1.jpg

6317-1.jpg

Mmmm :wub:

Going through my parts I often stumble upon road signs and trees.

It is as if I was given plenty of those for birthdays and christmas back then.

A neccesity when building up your town and for once the signs are the same as the ones used here in DK.

TLG has a sad tendence to copy Germany when designing sets.

(just because it's the biggest market in Europe)

Great review.

I used to have some of these lying around... :cry_sad: Too bad I was clumsy all those years ago....

I wonder if TLC will start producing this kind of... Battle Pack? :tongue:

Stauder.

Great review!!

I remember all these road signs, used to play them with the road baseplates :cry_happy: But instead of Lego cars, was using the Lego baseplates for matchbox and hot wheel cars :tongue: Then the runway baseplate for highway and the circular helipad for runabout :classic:

I still have some of the signs, but some are broken while others are on the verge of breaking if I am not careful.