Sign in to follow this  
Jones

Review of 1854, The Velux Promo House

I wanted to take a break from four projects I’m working on right now, so I thought I would attempt my first ever review! This is of one of my favorite sets, 1854, the “House with Roof-Windows,” or, the Velux Promo house.

VELUX Promotional Set

Set # 1854

Theme: Town

Year Released: 1996

Piece Count: 212

Minifigs: 2

List Price: $23.00 (USD)

Like the Vestas Windmill, this set was originally produced for employees of Velux. Velux was nice enough to actually sell sets on their company website to the general public, making this little house available to many AFOLs.

house.jpg

This is a fairly small house, and it’s one of the few city/town buildings that does NOT come with any sort of vehicle. No bicycle, no car, no truck, no nothing! I personally like that because I have way too many vehicles as it is!

Here is the box:

box.jpg

The box has several alternative models on the sides and on the back:

box_3.jpg

box_2.jpg

box_4.jpg

box_5.jpg

box_6.jpg

Here are the instructions:

instructions_cover.jpg

In the back pages of the isntructions, there are also more photos for the alternative models, and even some instructions on how to build them.

inst_ins_1.jpg

inst_ins_3.jpg

ins_ins_2.jpg

I did not apply the stickers, but they are included for the windows, the flag, and for one minifig torso.

stickers_crop.jpg

The house comes with two minifigures: A gent with a baseball cap and a lady with a black ponytail.

figs.jpg

The minifigs have several fun accessories. There are wine glasses for kicking back on the front patio. Also, two pieces of mail: Are they bills to pay, or letters to loved ones?

minfig_acc.jpg

A brown hairbrush is included so the lady can keep that ponytail looking sleek. Two mugs are for the morning coffee after the long nights of knocking back the vino.

int_4.jpg

The obvious detail of the exterior are the sloped windows. I've just realized by looking at the photos I've done a crap job on getting the roof together tight over the windows. I'll edit that once my camera batteries finish recharging.

ext_1.jpg

ext_3.jpg

I love the color scheme. Yes, it’s yet another white building, but the dramatic red roof makes it stand out, and I love the blue windows and the door. The exterior light and house number are nice touches.

door_window.jpg

The inside of the house has two floors. The ground floor has a hallway/foyer with a ceiling lamp, and then a living area with a table and two chairs. I love the shelf around the bottom of the room ready to be filled with knick-nacks.

int_1.jpg

int_2.jpg

The upper loft floor has a small bed big enough for just one minifig. I think the two lamps are another nice touch.

int_3.jpg

The set comes with a handful of extras, including more slopes to build the alternative models.

extras.jpg

I also own the first ever town house, the vacation house, and the holiday villa, but this simple lean-to is really the standout of my town suburb!

I give it a 10/10 in terms of visual appeal and design. Playability is a 9/10. There are a lot of fun accessories that you can use to make a lot of at-home scenarios. For value, it's not great, I'd give it a 5/6 out of 10. If you got it from Velux originally, you got a deal. But at around US$50-$60 on ebay or Bricklink for this little house now, it's a bit much for what you get.

Again, this is my first review so I apologize if I’ve left things out. I’ll be happy to edit it if anyone has any suggestions.

Edited by Jones

This is such a nice set. I wonder why they put so many wine glasses in these house sets.

4.5 is what I give it. It really is a nice set.

Nice review Jones!

This is a really nice promo set. I especially love those slanted windows, they add a lot to the set. :thumbup: It's kind of a funny design though, because it looks like a roof on ground level...

Thanks for the review! :classic:

I got mine 3 or 4 years ago by emailing the company and asking if they still had any. The women who responded was very nice and she took my credit card number and sent me one. I wonder if they are finally all sold out?

Definitely a nice little set. The windows are fantastic and the accessories included seemed plentiful for such a small set.

Jones, thanks for doing this review. I had never seen this set before, and I never knew that it is a company release product for Velux Windows company in Denmark. You have done a great job. In fact, I feel that this set is a miniature version of both 6374 Holiday Home and 6349 Holiday Villa.

There is a poll between these two sets, to determine which is the best. At the moment, the results seemed quite uncertain as both sets have almost equal amount of supporters. :tongue:

Oh, take a look at Classic Town.net. I heard it was featured there a moment ago. :wink:

What a great review of set I had never seen before. This is a "true classic", and has the look of set much older than 1996. Your set looks so nice too, very well maintained. The figs are equally nice and compliment the set nicely. Great review, esp for your first Jones. Outstanding! :thumbup:

Oh, take a look at Classic Town.net. I heard it was featured there a moment ago. :wink:

Wow! :blush: I'm so pleased to have all the nice comments about this review, and the feature on classic-town.net is an honor! Thank you!

I'll definitely try another review soon ... I would love to help complete that pinned list of reviews for every classic town set!

I'll definitely try another review soon ... I would love to help complete that pinned list of reviews for every classic town set!

I am looking forward to your next review. Hopefully, it will be a classic town review. Please help us to add in more reviews for classic town. :wub:

By the way, have you check out the Reviewers Academy? If you are interested in reviewing and will like to learn more, I will recommend you to sign up for the course and learn the tips and tricks of a good review. :wink:

Don't worry, you won't have to pay a penny for it and its really up to you whether you wish to place your future reviews in there for grading or post it in the public forum on your own accord.

Awesome! There's a lot, but I'd love to see you fill in more of those not reviewed.

Wow, what a great little set. It has an incredible number of special pieces for such a small set. Four angled windows, 2 cups and 2 wine glasses, and two letters! I can't think of any other set that has 4 pieces of dinner ware with only 2 minifigs. Great review, and I'll look forward to more.