Here are some scans of the Technic sets from the Summer 2009 Catalog and the Alternate models. I also posted

information and pictures of both the main and alternate models on this topic a day or so ago. These are some

great sets!

scan0003.jpg

scan0002.jpg

8265_2.jpg

8258_2.jpg

8265_3.jpg

8263_1.jpg

Edited by Xsquilax

Very cool!! Thanks for the pics Xsquilax! The alternate models for each really look good. I Like the trailer for 8258. That's something different than what we've seen in the past. I like it!

But i have to say the alternate for 8263 is really intriguing! I Think the Alternate is better than the main model! Even the log loader alternative of the front end loader is decent. Getting more and more excited for these 09' techinc sets! Stupid Medical bills!

Edited by 5150 Lego

Hmm I wasn't that interested in 8263 but the alternate looks great. Will probably end up getting it now. Love the alternate for 8258 as well.

Thanks guys, for the cool remarks! I know that I will probably, some time, purchase these sets. My wallet will probably take a major hit this year. Lots of great Lego sets. :tongue:

Here are some more of the pics.

8258_1.jpg

8258_3.jpg

8258_4.jpg

8263_3.jpg

8265.jpg

Edited by Xsquilax

Sets 8265 (Front End Loader), 8263 (Snow Groomer), and 8258 (Crane Truck) are on their way. Final US prices are:

• 8265 - $79.99
  • 8263 - $49.99
  • 8258 - $149.99

Any ideas what's up with the Canadian pricing? The 8265 Front Loader is listed at $129.99 Canadian, compared to $79.99 US. That's the largest percentage markup I've ever seen for Canadian over US pricing! :sick: To compare, the 8263 Snow Groomer is $64.99 Canadian compared to $49.99 US, much more in line with what I'd expect. Even more insulting, last year's 8295 Telehandler was $109.99 Canadian compared to $89.99 US - so US prices look to be going down while Canadian prices are going up significantly?

Can't wait to see how much TLG will want for 8258 in Canada; it's not listed on the website yet.

Have lego in the UK lost the plot with their technic pricing?

New Truck £127.25 (With 1 motor)

Front End Loader £68.49 (with no motor!)

Snow Groomer £36.19

Maybe they have gold plated the linear actuators?

Do they think I'm made of money!

And what ever happened to the tractor with tipping trailer?

Thanks for the scans. The US prices are actually a little lower than what was posted earlier in the thread, so it's a pity to see other countries getting ripped off.

8258 is probably the standout set and the one I'm most likely to get, but it definitely has room for improvement. I'm looking at it as a platform for mods as much as anything else. As someone in the TechnicBricks blog comments said, the crane winch and especially the outriggers are lame designs and don't feel like proper Technic functions. It has a great alternate model though.

8265 actually looks like the most well designed set to me, and it hasn't cut any corners like 8258. The main reason I will probably pass it up is its similarity to 8459, which I already have a couple of. As a primarily yellow set, I think it's also more likely to have bad quality bricks than the other two red sets. If I find it on a discount though, I'll pick it up.

As a primarily yellow set, I think it's also more likely to have bad quality bricks than the other two red sets. If I find it on a discount though, I'll pick it up.

I hadn't thought about it in terms of color before. The last few years, most of the Technic sets have been yellow. There's been some red and a bit of lime green thrown in for good measure. The last time we had a true flagship set that was blue was 8462 over 10 years ago. Blue seems to be underrepresented. maybe the next supercar will be blue! When I built Grazi's Big Foot truck, I converted it to blue:

Big Foot Render

Big Foot Photo

dsc_8713.jpg

It would cool to see some of the new dark red, dark blue, and dark green in Technic as well. Pink is right out.

I hadn't thought about it in terms of color before. The last few years, most of the Technic sets have been yellow. There's been some red and a bit of lime green thrown in for good measure. The last time we had a true flagship set that was blue was 8462 over 10 years ago. Blue seems to be underrepresented. maybe the next supercar will be blue! When I built Grazi's Big Foot truck, I converted it to blue:

This has more information on what I mean. I think red might be better today than it was at the beginning of the year, while yellow still seems to be bad.

You're right that we have not had a blue flagship model in many years. In fact, 8462 was itself the first large blue model in a long time. The only previous ones that come to mind are from the early 1980s.

That monster truck is really nice, especially the pendular suspension.

Edited by CP5670

That isn't too bad. As a guess the Australian prices will be...

• 8265 - $119.99
  • 8263 - $79.99
  • 8258 - $249.99

Let's see if I'm right. :tongue:

Can't wait for the reviews! :wub:

Well the prices are on Lego.com

• 8265 - $149.99
  • 8263 - $79.99
  • 8258 - $299.99

you got one out of three!

$150 is a terrible price..

Well the prices are on Lego.com

• 8265 - $149.99
  • 8263 - $79.99
  • 8258 - $299.99

The price for 8258 is outrageous. Double the US price. Lego Australia must be joking.

New Truck £127.25 (With 1 motor)

Front End Loader £68.49 (with no motor!)

Snow Groomer £36.19

Maybe they have gold plated the linear actuators?

Do they think I'm made of money!

And what ever happened to the tractor with tipping trailer?

Hmm I think we might be getting stitched up by the exchange rate. The cherry picker is on there for £51, I'm sure I only paid £40 for it. Either that or there's some issue with power functions pricing. The Snow Groomer actually seems to be pretty reasonably priced.

Ordered me a 8258 and a 8262 today at Shop@home. the nice lady said to me it was in stock and ready to be shipped!

payed a whopping 260 euros inc shipping and gold minifig

hope is worth it...

The U.S. Lego site says that the Crane truck and Loader are still back ordered. Must be in stock in Europe. Please post pics once you get it!

The price for 8258 is outrageous. Double the US price. Lego Australia must be joking.

Indeed; all but one were higher than I expected. :sceptic: I hope TLG note this; honestly this is insane. I have no plan to buy 8258 at that price. 8265 and/pr 8263 is possible, but certainly not at S@H.

Here are some more pics that I posted on page 8.

Please don't re-post images. There is no such thing as "page 8". Many members, including me, change the default posts per page. (For me this is page 4.)

You can download the new B - models instructions from the official site of Lego Technic.

LINK

Edited by menad

Ordered me a 8258 and a 8262 today at Shop@home. the nice lady said to me it was in stock and ready to be shipped!

payed a whopping 260 euros inc shipping and gold minifig

hope is worth it...

Update:

Package is shipped today, Will receive it on saturday or tuesday!

You can download the new B - models instructions from the official site of Lego Technic.

LINK

Some interesting mechanisms are visible there. Notice that in part 7 of 8258, they achieved two independent geartrains on the turntable by having a transmission ring with the dark gray 16-tooth gears on both sides, which is basically the same thing as the differential assembly I referred to earlier. I never thought of doing it this way since the transmission rings are more rare and expensive than differentials, but it will work equally well. :thumbup:

I think this makes the cheap, non-motorized winch design more excusable, since adding a third geartrain in there would have required new pieces and some very complicated gearing. On the other hand, it shows why pneumatics would have been better than LAs on this model, which would make it relatively easy to motorize the winch.

Edited by CP5670

NEW SET UPDATE

The Snow Groomer is supposed to be at my house tomorrow, and I just received a notification that the Wheel Loader shipped today!

I wonder what are my chances of getting it at a Lego store or Legoland when I get up there this week? I want that crane truck.

I wonder what are my chances of getting it at a Lego store or Legoland when I get up there this week? I want that crane truck.

I just talked to the manager at my LEGO store on Friday. He said he doesn't expect the Technic sets in for a few more weeks. He also said that, for whatever reason, TLG usually delivers the Technic sets to them later than predicted, but on time for the other themes.

So good luck! BTW, the crane truck still shows a ship date of August 5.....

I just talked to the manager at my LEGO store on Friday. He said he doesn't expect the Technic sets in for a few more weeks. He also said that, for whatever reason, TLG usually delivers the Technic sets to them later than predicted, but on time for the other themes.

So good luck! BTW, the crane truck still shows a ship date of August 5.....

My local Lego store says there expecting all the new techinc sets mid July. There supposedto give me a call when they come in. Specificly the Crane truck. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted.

Cool video. Although it's strange that they specifically point out the outriggers, which are probably the weakest aspect of the model. :tongue: I plan to get this and other sets at the Brickfair event in a month, as the Lego store there usually has big discounts at that time.

On a side note, it might actually be possible to motorize the crane winch, despite what I said earlier. In principle, whenever you have two independent functions, you can get an unlimited number of functions out of them by having one geartrain act as a switch to change what the other one does, similar to the mechanism used in 8082's forklift. The main challenge would be fitting the whole thing into a small space on top of the turntable, but it might make an interesting mod project for that model.