Sign in to follow this  
dj2005

Review: 6048 Majisto’s Magical Workshop

indexed.gif

Name: 6048 Majisto’s Magical Workshop

Number of pieces: 183

Year released: 1993

Original price: $26

This is my first review on this site and I wanted to burst my cherry on an older set. Set 6048 is part of the Dragon Knight's theme, and while many of the sets pertaining to this theme are not particularly good, set 6048 is definitely worth a purchase.

Since I purchased this set used, I do not have a box or instructional booklet. I used the online instructions available on peeron.com and found that the build was much harder than it should have been due to being unable to distinguish black on black pieces. However, after building it once, things are a breeze. Now onto the review:

Jumble of pieces:

IMG_2960.jpg

+As you may note, this set contains a wonderful selection of parts. There are weapons, shutters, green foliage, and so on.

The minifigs:

Dragon Knight:

IMG_2963.jpg

+Comes fully equipped and with a bearded face that gives him a sinister appearance. Needless to say, I love him.

Majisto:

IMG_2967.jpg

+He utilizes the old smiley face. Comes with the glow-in-the-dark star wand, blue cap, black cape, white beard, and blue Forestmen torso print.

The build:

Early on:

IMG_2970.jpg

+The LURPs (or BURPs?) create the foundation of the structure. Not much to be seen as of yet.

IMG_2974.jpg

+The interior.

A tad further:

IMG_2976.jpg

+Things are beginning to come together now.

And further:

IMG_2979.jpg

+Almost there!

Done:

Front:

IMG_2981.jpg

+Built to perfection.

+The little gray latch piece is used to hold the house together. While this isn't required for display purposes as the house stays flush on its own, it is great for transportation.

Back:

IMG_2989.jpg

+The back of the house is quite plain but has a chimney for extra detail. This chimney connects with the interior's stove.

Left side:

IMG_2990.jpg

Nicely furnished with a tree and foliage.

Right side:

IMG_2993.jpg

+Identical to the left side.

Interior overview:

IMG_2994.jpg

+Surprisingly roomy for a small house. Contains a chest behind the ladder, a gray table created from a 6x2 LEGO block, two clear goblets, a magic scroll, a piece built lighting source, a black pot being heated on top of a stove, and a sword in case of an unexpected ambush.

Interior closeups:

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

+The Dragon Knight standing guard.

IMG_2982.jpg

+Majisto ready to cast a devious conjure spell.

IMG_3008.jpg

+It pays to be a wizard...

Scoring:

Minifigs: 7/10 - Only two minifigs and a bird. For $26 I expect more.

Design: 10/10 - A fully functional house that contains plenty of space.

Playability: 9.5/10 - Since this set does not have a battle occurring, much can be left up the the owner. The minifigs and house have so many possibilities.

Piece count: 8.5/10 - 183 pieces and only two minifigs are nothing spectacular, but the pieces that are included are worthwhile due to their usefulness.

Total: 35/40 - A great set. I recommend this to anyone looking for an extra house for their display.

Edited by KimT
indexed

nice review, this is a nice set, I wanted it but I never bought it ^^

Great review.

This is a fine set.

It was released during my dark ages and that's one of the reasons I don't have it.

I've added it to the Castle Review Index :thumbup:

This is a "by the book" review.

It's got good and clear images, right size, clean white background.

Perfect job!

It's actually the first time I see this set... dark ages... .

Thanks for showing it to me now!

Great set, I own it, as well as the wizards shop.

I always liked it and planted it next to the dragons cage/prison, that one was made out of rocks as well, and goes very well with it.

Good review, dj2005, keep 'em comming !

nice review, this is a nice set, I wanted it but I never bought it ^^

I also never bothered to purchase this set when it was considered new, but with the possibility of BrickLink I did. If you ever have some extra cash then you can't go wrong with this set, IMO.

Nice review. I think I might have a Majisto laying around somewhere.

Never know where Majisto may pop up. :wink:

Great review.

This is a fine set.

It was released during my dark ages and that's one of the reasons I don't have it.

I've added it to the Castle Review Index :thumbup:

Thanks for the compliment and index addition.

This is a "by the book" review.

It's got good and clear images, right size, clean white background.

Perfect job!

It's actually the first time I see this set... dark ages... .

Thanks for showing it to me now!

Thanks, Bonaparte! I also did not know about this set before a week ago. So many hidden treasures that I find browsing Brickset.

Great set, I own it, as well as the wizards shop.

I always liked it and planted it next to the dragons cage/prison, that one was made out of rocks as well, and goes very well with it.

Good review, dj2005, keep 'em comming !

I know which cage/prison you are talking about. A good idea as they would surely flow together. The Wizard's Shop is also a nice set from this theme. A tad small for a shop though.

As for future reviews, I just purchased sets 6074, 6077, and 10000 today so I'll try to do reviews for each of them (I splurged :blush: ).

Great review DJ 2005! :classic:

This is a really nice old Castle set. The idea of a rocky mountain hideout is a good one, and the house has many more details than I would expect.

The minifigs are great especially the dragon knight. :wub:

Thanks for the review! :thumbup:

Very good review for your first attempt ever! :thumbup:

Thanks for doing a Classic Set, for your first review, especially a Castle set. I was fortunate enough to own this set, as one of my friends gave up his small collection of LEGO few years ago, and one of the complete sets is this Majisto's Magical Workshop. I love viewing your clear pictures in the middle and the end. Seriously, it's a very nice set with lovely playing features such as its opening up of the workshop. Looking forward to your next review.

Keep it up. If you are really interested in Reviewing, why don't you sign up for Reviewers Academy for another whole new learning experience if you are keen. :classic:

Great review DJ 2005! :classic:

This is a really nice old Castle set. The idea of a rocky mountain hideout is a good one, and the house has many more details than I would expect.

The minifigs are great especially the dragon knight. :wub:

Thanks for the review! :thumbup:

Very good review for your first attempt ever! :thumbup:

Thanks for doing a Classic Set, for your first review, especially a Castle set. I was fortunate enough to own this set, as one of my friends gave up his small collection of LEGO few years ago, and one of the complete sets is this Majisto's Magical Workshop. I love viewing your clear pictures in the middle and the end. Seriously, it's a very nice set with lovely playing features such as its opening up of the workshop. Looking forward to your next review.

Keep it up. If you are really interested in Reviewing, why don't you sign up for Reviewers Academy for another whole new learning experience if you are keen. :classic:

Thanks guys. I love reading the reviews you two do so this means a lot and the reason the first few pictures are a bit blurry was due to me using a different lighting source/room.

As for the Reviewers Academy, since I joined the site I've been longing to join and I may when I receive my new sets.

This is one of the sets I cherished in my childhood. Looking back, the dragon knights weren't the best faction—their armor was quite gaudy—but Majisto remains awesome, and this set managed to pack a lot of detail into a small but atypical build.

In other news, this review has inspired me to see if I can remake this set as an Elves model. Gonna go ahead and get started on that now...