Sign in to follow this  
Scop

Governors Retirement

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 21d

Hello everyone out there!

It was just some months ago when I left the time you use to call "dark ages". Since then I was studying eurobricks and when I saw this contest I thougt I have to build something, too. For I am surely not the best builder in town and my amount of bricks is very limited I am aware of the fact that I won´t have any real chance, but that´s not so important for me. So, enough said, here is my first MOC:

The Story: After years of fighting piracy and great victories, the Governor decided to retire and live a joyful live at his caribbean mansion.

But some pirates survived his anti-piracy campaigns and this is the moment they´ve been waiting for.

This time they have not only come for gold and diamants, they also want to make sure the governor will never come back from his retirement...

EDIT: Here is the final version:

lappiedoodle_064.jpg

lappiedoodle_066.jpg

lappiedoodle_068.jpg

lappiedoodle_069.jpg

lappiedoodle_077.jpg

lappiedoodle_082.jpg

Thanks for helping with the picture-linking :)

Improvements: Blood, Blood, Blood. One Pirate less, but more cruelty

Arrrrrrrr! :jollyroger:

Scop

If deep-linking still doesn´t work:

Picture 1, Front

P2

P3

P4

P5

P6

Edited by SlyOwl

My opinion:

This is a very good MOC, it has all we wanted to see in this contest.

I think this is outstanding for a first MOC/attempt and if some minor improvements are made, you might even have a chanche to win a prize !

Possible improvements:

1) Blood, blood and more blood. Add some more blood (like in the governors neck).

2) See you don't add more minifigs or items then you already have. If you add any more, people will call it too cluthered or too crowded (IMHO, it is maxed out, but not "over the edge" yet).

3) The face expressions could be done better. The governor has a fairly neutral expression on his face, would you have a neutral one if your head is about to be cut off :pir-skull: ?

Also the pirates themselves could (should?) look more EVIL.

At this point I cannot be of more help to you because I only see one pic at this time.

We really should see the other sides as well to make it the best MOC it could be. Remember that the judges/staff CAN always demand you to make additional pictures (I don't). Read the section about the pictures.

Minor and/or not brick related improvements that can be made as well:

a) Post more pictures, you should post six for the best effect, read the entry instructions that have been pinned on top of the Pirate forum.

And why post at 360x480 pixels if you may post at 800x600 pixels?

Posting at a higher pixel rate will make the pictures larger and therefore easier to see for the members and judges. It also might improve the overall picture quality.

b) Put some alineas between your sentences, this will make it easier for us to read your introduction.

c) I would state that this is a WIP (work in progress) into your description. Ask a mod to do this if you want to change it.

Edited by zorro3999

Oh dear! It appears a conquistador from the mighty Imperial Armada has faired poorly admist this merry yet raucous Pirate festivy. So what's happened to the dear old governor?

So what's happened to the dear old governor?

More importantly, what about his lovely daughter? :pir_kiss:

there is a lot of people on a little plate, but I think it's ok and it's a nice and cruel moc ^^ maybe as everyone said, a little more blood will be nice^^

Well all I have to say is that it is ok, but needs some work. Maybe add some blood. I also agree that it is too crowded and some stuff should be taken out. I like how you used the chains to hang some people. You should make it a bit more gruesome! Come on! I want to see some real stuff! Some bad stuff! Maybe add a Pirate eating the governer's head! I hope my suggestions have helped you.

Lego12

This is a very creative idea!

A few pointers:

1) On the sand in front, I think it would look nice to have yellow tiles there for a smoother look.

2) Give us some more blood! :pir-devil: Perhaps some on the Governor's head under the knife and on the upside down man with the sword in his gut. You could use a red plume maybe.

3) I too, would like to see some more pictures, such as a side and back view, so we can see what's going on there.

Other than those minor points, this is a great entry! (By the way welcome to Eurobricks! Feel free to introduce yourself in this forum.

Opinion

Very creative MOC Scop. I can't believe you fit nine pirate minifigs onto this small base plate. That is amazing. I like the whole battle scene and how the pirates are stealing from the governers house. You have the right idea for this contest Scop. I see lots of detail that I like. Chains rapped around everywhere, wine glasses, treasure cheats and dead pirates on the ground. Perfect!!!! Your story goes great with your MOC. I really like the pirate that is on the top with a minifig head on his knife.

Possible Improvements

1) You can take a couple more pictures of your MOC and take close-up shots.

2) You could also add some more blood to your MOC. On places like the ground or ontop of your MOC where the parrot is.

3) You could add some more bricks and make the door entry bigger so you could have some more room to add more detail or minifigs.

4) Also, on the ground, you could add some smooth tiles to make your MOC look better.

Overall- This is a great MOC and some minor improvements would make this an even better MOC. I think you have the right idea for this contest and you will do fine. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

Well, there is a small amount of goriness, but it's still lacking. If you don't look closely, it looks like a celebration. More pictures are needed. Yellow tiles are needed up front. Use red transparent tiles for blood. Other than that, it's pretty good.

MOC On! :jollyroger:

Edited by Thomas B.

I just edited my first post, but I did have some problems with uploading the pictures, could somebody please tell me if everything is ok now?

The entry looks very nice now!

I would recommend deep-linking your pictures though, so viewers don't have to click on the links to see them.

Here's a tutorial on deep-linking for you. Tutorial

Good luck! :pir-classic:

Deep-linking doesn´t seem to work.If I try it, there are red crosses instead of pictures...

Probably because they are hosted on Blogspot rather than a photo hosting website like Brickshelf.

I would highly recommend creating a Brickshelf account, as it's very easy to deep-link from there, just follow the tutorial.

Hope this helps!