KimT

Advanced Building Techniques

Here are some interesting snot done by a new member, posted in the Other Themes section of our great forum:

SNOT studies by member Carbohydrates.

Front

edit

beaten by another Dane, but down to seconds.....

lol

Edited by Front

What's the best way to reverse directions of studs? ie to attach bricks together so you have studs on both sides.

What is the best way to do this so it's the smallest possible size?

and also what's the best way for strength?

I don't quite understand what you mean with the lever sticks jammed in the studs

If only lego would release a double sided plate :)

Hello,

i just wanted to ask if one of you guys could make a tutorial on how to build those rock formations.

I mean the rocks you can see on the left on this picture:

Hill House-MOC

Always when I try to build these rocks, they look totally unrealistic. :sceptic:

Hello,

i just wanted to ask if one of you guys could make a tutorial on how to build those rock formations.

Hill House-MOC

Always when I try to build these rocks, they look totally unrealistic. :sceptic:

I think you just put a bunch of BURPs in the right places and put 1x1 slopes on them :wink:

I think you just put a bunch of BURPs in the right places and put 1x1 slopes on them :wink:
Well I think there´s more to it. You need to use slopes like 60481, 3040, 4286 and 4460 and inverted slopes like 2449, 3665 and 4287. The same ones in two stud width also. And put some 1x and 2x bricks in between sometime. 1x1 cheeseslopes can also come in handy.

Well I think there´s more to it. You need to use slopes like 60481, 3040, 4286 and 4460 and inverted slopes like 2449, 3665 and 4287. The same ones in two stud width also. And put some 1x and 2x bricks in between sometime. 1x1 cheeseslopes can also come in handy.

Oh, okay, I see them now. It is really complicated now that you mention it :wacko:

For the round towers, if its small enough, you can use those 4x4 round plates. They fit perfectly with the 1x2 bricks, and 1x1 round bricks.

So how strong are these techniques? Still Swooshable? Application of minifigs is not a crash course in extreme dexterity? I have been using more complex techniques, but only if the end product is sturdy. How about any MOCs using the new dice element?

And here is what I was talking about.

picture0683.jpg

Not the best solution, since it only works for small towers. For bigger ones, you would need something more creative.

Hiya,

I've experimented and looked high and low for a good solution to the problem of creating a gapless disc of angled plates.

None of the pictured solutions create a complete polygon when extended radially.

4073459620_8f2d94301a.jpg

Does anyone have any solutions to creating a gapless or near-gapless disc with more than 8 sides?

Or is it the case that you have to use technic angle connecters for the frame and then wedges as far as possible but tolerate a few gaps?

Thanks for any help!

-Alex

Really? I used that technique with the 2x4 wedges once, and it worked fine for me. :look: The result was a 13 sided disc.

Hill House-MOC

Check out this article on Classic-Castle. DNL covers the basics of rock-scaping, and I mention a few other tips. As Copmike said, you'll need large quantities of various slope bricks (cheese slopes aren't that important, and are more expensive, so only a few are needed in reality), as well as a fair amount of filler brick (personally I use a technic frame (overlapping 1x16 bricks), with normal bricks to pad it out to join with the rockface).

Really? I used that technique with the 2x4 wedges once, and it worked fine for me. :look: The result was a 13 sided disc.

Now I'm embarrassed...I was so intent on creating a semi-circle first that I abandoned that before I'd completed the ring when it looked irregular. Thank you for sending me back to that solution!

anyone have experience with using bricks wider than 1x# for make buildings and structures? I am starting to accumulate quite a bit of those wider bricks and plates, but it just feels wierd building stuff with 2 bricks width. I find the 1x# bricks much more versatile. Aside from stacking wide bricks for terrain building, I wonder what other use do they have?

anyone have experience with using bricks wider than 1x# for make buildings and structures? I am starting to accumulate quite a bit of those wider bricks and plates, but it just feels wierd building stuff with 2 bricks width. I find the 1x# bricks much more versatile. Aside from stacking wide bricks for terrain building, I wonder what other use do they have?

I find they actually are better for building buildings. As you can see in Hinckley's Auto Mechanic, the use of 2xX bricks is useful to indent windows, etc.

Indeed for facades of buildings it's often better to use 2 x X bricks, because you have the opportunities to easily add indented windows and ornamental pieces. Side walls can then use 1 x X bricks or you could share the wall with the neighbor's house and use 2 x X bricks for the separating side walls as well.