KimT

Advanced Building Techniques

Although it is very shaky you can have a curved wall using something simialar to Copmike's well that uses 1x2 tiles (to represent real life bricks) attached to headlight bricks. Not sure If this is my idea or if someone came up with it before me, or if it's of any use to this thread. I don't have the time now, but I'll try to picture this sometime to show what I'm talking about.

Tedddy's tutorial on Angled Walls click >here<

Was in the first post of the topic. :sceptic::tongue:

As simple as this technique is I haven't seen it described before on a forum. For an easy and very tight curved wall alternating 1x2 log bricks and 1x1 rounds is great. The log bricks allow for a lot more bend than normal 1x2s. This technique can create a very tight radius and the log bricks give a more uniform look with the 1x1 rounds when compared to normal 1x2 bricks. I can achieve a 24 stud circumference and 9 stud diameter round tower without any real tension on the bricks.

6686144405_0f2956a57f.jpg

I also developed this technique for a roof. It takes on the appearance of a clay tiled roof. I would kill for that brick in dark orange. Dark red looks great as well. It does leave a row of studs going up the ridge of the roof but there are ways to hide them.

6686143601_7bb8e9f329.jpg

That roof looks really good... nice to see that this part can actually be useful :thumbup: I found that I had too much of these as I never used them (and I only have a few), now I feel that I should have a lot more of them actually :grin:

DaleDVM

Thanks for the great ideas! I really like that round tower, it looks textured without having too many gaps. Brilliant.

And that roof! OMGoodness, that is exactly what I would want to use. I would never have considered using that part for that purpose, let alone any purpose.

Hi,

Sorry to bump this fairly old thread but I have some ideas I'd like to add to this advanced building index.

Here is one: it is using a wheel that is normally fixed onto a plate but is technically removable.

The part ID is u9098 (it's really a subpart)

TmjgpS6.png

It allows you to have an upside down SNOT connection and the ends are the same diameter as a stud but slightly shallower.

It also accepts a bar going thru it and the center ring is exactly half a plate thick.

Since it is half a plate thick you can use it as an interface to attach a plate or tile to a technic beam and have it equal 4 plates or have two plates or tiles connected to them which is the same thickness as a technic beam (1L)

dVSqbv7.png

eLjdwTe.png

-More techniques to be added here soon-

Regards, Snipe

Edited by SNIPE

On 10/27/2019 at 4:41 PM, SNIPE said:

The part ID is u9098 (it's really a subpart)

Hi Snipe,

Intriguing. Apologies for bumping as well but this piece has so much potential I couldn't not inquire about it.

It seems to act like the thin ring from part 4081a but without the attachment plate. Very useful for reversing stud direction in small spaces and builds.

What is the part name of the whole assembly on BrickLink? I've wanted a piece like this for a while and tried looking for it but couldn't locate it by the description above. The only thing I could find that looked somewhat close was a Fabuland stroller wheel assembly and the only mention of it online is your post. 

Thanks,

jrs

5 hours ago, jrs said:

Hi Snipe,

Intriguing. Apologies for bumping as well but this piece has so much potential I couldn't not inquire about it.

It seems to act like the thin ring from part 4081a but without the attachment plate. Very useful for reversing stud direction in small spaces and builds.

What is the part name of the whole assembly on BrickLink? I've wanted a piece like this for a while and tried looking for it but couldn't locate it by the description above. The only thing I could find that looked somewhat close was a Fabuland stroller wheel assembly and the only mention of it online is your post. 

Thanks,

jrs

here you go: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6230#T=C&amp;C=11

This set has some curved window frames , I don't know if the glass panels are also cuved or not.
set.png
If we get the glass and window frame both in different opaque colors then it could be used (with straight pieces if needed too) to make curved walls and floors. it looks like they are 45 degrees each so 4 of them add up to 180 degrees. One example could be a saturn V using white window frames and panes to get the curviture. For floors you would just use these pieces sideways as SNOT.

Also there is a new small inverted arch that would be good for small scale skateboard quarter pipes as well as arches and so on. i
It only will exist so far in yellowish orange and pink:
pink.jpg
yellow.jpg

Here they are used to fill in the top corners of the preformed plastic case, which are of course rounded. it looks like the actual arch piece is 1 plate thick, and the side is half a plate thick.

edit: the new ideas creator police station has another new type of inverted curved plate too, it is 1x3:

New_slope-lego-2021-Modular-Police-Stati

Edited by SNIPE