Sign in to follow this  
sam89

2004/2005 Sets and discussion thread

Not necessarily true. Afterall, Princess Leia's 'bun' hairpiece is only available with the Millenium Falcon (either version). Hardly a common piece. Either version (old or new brown) is only available in a $99+ set. Similarly, there is nothing to suggest that LEGO had any plans for producing the sailbarge when they first manufactured Bib Fortuna's headpiece.

Yes, but when they created the mold for Leia's hair (which they used the same one for both sets) they surely expected that the revenue from the sets would cover the costs of the mold (over $10k if I am correct). What I am trying to say is that to cover the same costs for a new mold from a single $6 would hardly be as effective. So they must have expected to use the molds in another set as well in order to cover the costs a little more.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say! ;)

Jon.

Yes, but when they created the mold for Leia's hair (which they used the same one for both sets) they surely expected that the revenue from the sets would cover the costs of the mold (over $10k if I am correct). What I am trying to say is that to cover the same costs for a new mold from a single $6 would hardly be as effective. So they must have expected to use the molds in another set as well in order to cover the costs a little more.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say! ;)

Jon.

Ok, I here where your coming from. I'm just not sure if you understand what I'm suggesting.

Sure, a $99 set is going to bring a greater return (per unit) than a $6 dollar set. That doesn't mean that the $6 dollar set won't cover the cost of a new mold. I mean, wouldn't a $6 dollar be easier to sell in large quantities? Jabba's Message is an easy way for a child to pick up a R2D2, C3P0 and Bib Fortuna at a reasonable price. Sure, every kid wants the Falcon, but at $99 its probably harder to move as many units. And what I was really trying to say is that it isn't unprecendented for LEGO to produce an element unique to a single set. I don't really expect Krum's sharkhead to be used again any time soon. The same thing might be said about the Merman (again from 4762). I'm not holding my breath over a new Helmet for Lando, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

Later.

You both raise some good points that i agree with and the only thing i would add is that even though lego made a new piece for a $6 set i would expect them to make there money back just because of the amount of those sets that they would sell, i mean there bound to of sold more of the message sets compaired to say the falcon as kids just dont usually have the kind of money needed for the falcon.

well i have the falcon and i have had it for a year and i am 11 :) (but i have a paper round and that gets me some money :P ) and the isd :P

Children don't ask for Jabba's message for christmas or birthday. They want the millenium falcon. ;)

True but whilst there moaning and crying for there falcon the parents might very well buy them smaller sets to shut them up :)

I told my mate (another AFOL) that I'd bought the ISD. You should have seen his face drop. Until I showed him my ISD - in all its 2 inch MINI glory. :oD

Actually, we could do with another batch of MINIs, where you can build another model with parts supplied with each of them.

Yeah just imagine being a kid whos asked for the big falcon only to get the little one at xmas, how bad would that be......then again if i was a parent i would buy both and give them the little set as a joke first :-D

Yeah, it'd be bad if it was a MINI Sailbarge or a UCS Sailbarge. That would stink. It'd probably include:

Jabba

Artoo

Threepio

Leia

Luke

Lando

Han

Max Rebo Band?

Jawas

Salacious Crumb

A few random aliens

*gg* BLACK SKULL :^D

EDIT: WOOT!!! PAGE 11!!!!!!!

Lo

This may of been covered elsewhere, apologies if it has.

Do our regular news posters know if any of the new SW sets will be out in time for Santa to bring?

I know January is a slated release date but I did wonder if one set would slip out early in time for chrimble, its a shame if Lego did hold em back until Jan.

All the best

Dave

Got no clues, but I'm afraid that France will only have the sets beginning of january, not before !!!!!

Who knows ?? The Vwig could be released early like the ROTS JSF was released earlier (in France).

well it seems you can already order the exo force sets and they were supposed to be released in january... Sw however, is a license, so i think Lucas will see to it that no sets are released before he wants to...

In past years, this has happened, and I'm counting on it happening this year as well. For example, the AT-TE/TIE Bomber, the Cantina, etc. January lines ALWAYS show up before Christmas. I'd say this chances are pretty good this year too. Lucas only watches the releases of sets for new movies.

I wouldn't rule it out, but I wouldn't count on it either.

I know the past several years I start finding the new January sets in the last weeks before Christmas in a couple different places. And that's all the way over here in the States, I'd imagine Europe would probably stand a chance at seeing them even earlier.

Best I can tell you is to get out there and stalk those toy aisles once December hits and hope to get lucky nuts.GIF

There were a couple of exo force sets on brickshelf earlier on so it looks like they are around...lets hope we get at least one SW set..any one..would be nice if the B Wing came out early :oD

Dave

I was just browsing for the Sail Barge and found this:

http://www.fbtb.net/gareth/sysbarge

Wondering if you lot have already come across this.

Probably it's not as accurate as BaronSat's work of art but I would be more than happy with this.

Seeing how TLC pulled off the Sandcrawler, this one really would make sense.

I am scheduled to get the new SW sets shipping to our store around Dec 15th, so should have it by 20th, in time for Christmas!!! So in North America some things should be available. very limited quantities, I get one case only of each item.

well it seems you can already order the exo force sets and they were supposed to be released in january... Sw however, is a license, so i think Lucas will see to it that no sets are released before he wants to...

Where can I order them?