Release: 2002

Price: $7.99

Product: Jedi Defense II 7204

Theme: Star Wars EP1

No of pieces: 52

Minifigs: 3

Release: 2002

Price: $7.99

Found these deep in my collection and realized we had no review of them on Eurobricks! Seeings as they are basically meant to go together, i reviewed them together. Also, yes i am aware that i have placed the wrong Jedi in the wrong Set (Obi wan should be in 1 and Qui Gon in 2 instead of how i have pictured them), but i took the pictures before i looked it up on brick shelf. Sorry for the bad condition, i played with them a lot when i first got them :P.

Box Shots

Taken from Brickshelf as i have long since lost the boxes

jeddefense1jk1.jpgjeddefense2mm3.jpg

Mini figures

jedidefenseobiwithdroidjt1.jpg

Jedi Defense II comes with Qui Gon and two battle droids. I've heard that this is the only set to contain a red-torso'd 'security droid'.

The droids are using good ol' 'megaphone blasters'

jedidefensemegaphoneblaster.jpg

Here's a close up of Qui Gon

jedidefensequigoncloseup.jpg

Jedi Defense I Has only 1 Minifigure.. Obi-wan. The droideka's are actually brick build, quite engeniously and using no strange or unique parts (apart from a plethora of droid arms).

jedidefensequigonwithdroidekas.jpg

Here's a close up of Obi-Wan

jedidefenseobiwancloseup.jpg

Here's a close up of a droideka

jedidefensedroidekaclosji8.jpg

For the small price and brick count, the minifig count is expected. Although, 3 mini figs in a peice with only 52 bricks (Jedi Defense 2) is quite good. Jedi defense 1 essentially IS mini figures (if you consider the droideka's as minifigs)

Jedi Defense II

The only other included component in Jedi Defense II is a small door.

jedidefensedroidekacloseup2.jpg

It slides open using flat bricks

jedidefenseopendoorck9.jpg

Misc Shots

Obi Wan and Qui Gon prepare to attack...

jedidefenseobiandquireano0.jpg

Obi Wan and Qui Gon stand off agianst 2 droidekas

jedidefensequigonandobiwanstandoff.jpg

Broken Droid arm... Took it out of storage after a few years and it snapped straight away

jedidefensebrokendroidarm.jpg

Overall

Variety of pieces:8/10 - Not much, but what do you expect? The plethora of droid arms used in the droidekas, as well as extra guns/binoculars/trans pieces are very nice. The door is pretty standard

Playability:9/10 - The opening scene of the Phantom Menace was very important to me, as it symbolized the return (although, somewhat lackluster) of star wars to the big screen. It's very fun to act out the opening scene, which is possible when you combine the two sets. The door is pretty useless, but does at a little to playability, or making vignettes.

Build: 7/10 - I can barley remember how it went, but it would not have taken more than ten minutes for each set

Construction: 10/10 - While they look a bit ugly, the droideka design is brilliant! The door is also fairly sturdy.

Minifigs: 9/10 - Can't complain, even though they are still the old 'yellow' style. IMO, Liam Neeson and Ewon Mcgregor were the only two decent actors in the new Star Wars films, which is why i'm proud to own their mini figures ^_^. Also has the 'rare' security droid.

Price: 9/10 - Seven dollars is fair for these tiny sets

Overall: 52/60

Conclusion:

A very old set, but still a good one. Basically, two small scenes that combine to make a... slightly less small scene, but an impressive scene at that :P

Edited by KimT
indexed

These were good ideas for sets that Lego didn't really pursue past these and the Jedi Duel ones. They were a good mix between an impulse set and a BP set. I think Lego should have pursued them and then they could have just evolved them into the current BP's.

These were good ideas for sets that Lego didn't really pursue past these and the Jedi Duel ones. They were a good mix between an impulse set and a BP set. I think Lego should have pursued them and then they could have just evolved them into the current BP's.

Yeah, i like the idea, how they portray famous scenes. I don't think they could replace battle packs, but rather, supplement them. Sometimes i want a cheap SW set that inst just 4 of the same mini figs and a crappy vehicle

I've heard that this is the only set to contain a red-torso'd 'security droid'.

There are two in the (new version) MTT. Sorry.

Jedi Defense I Has only 1 Minifigure.. Obi-wan. The droideka's are actually brick build

But do they count as minifigs since they are vaguely humanoid in appearance and are self-actioning to some degree. I don't know.

It slides open using flat bricks

Tiles.

Nice review, thanks.

The heads on your battle droids are switched around. The one with the yellow dot goes on the droid chest that has the yellow stripe, the plain head goes on the red body.

Good review, and I especcialy like the droideka's.

Still 2,5 USD release price for one minifigs seems to be much...Too much???

The heads on your battle droids are switched around. The one with the yellow dot goes on the droid chest that has the yellow stripe, the plain head goes on the red body.

thanks, i never noticed lol

Thanks for the cool duo-review :tongue:TheTacoMan :thumbup: . I think this sets are actually pretty cool (A shame that I can´t pick them when they were out :cry_sad: ) and this is how the TLC show us they can make both cheap and cool set. I really miss the days when "REAL" ships goes for cheap (I mean who don´t miss that good little vehicle sets like the V-wing or the Clone Scout Walker :cry_happy::cry_sad: ).

Nice review.

Here in The Netherlands they were 10 euro each, which was a bit too much, I think but it were nice sets with the most elemental figs and things from the first scenes (and even before we met someone like Jar-Jar :tongue: )

Thanks for the dual review, TacoMan. I think I might have gotten the Obi-Wan one, because I have that fig, but I'm not sure... he's very worn out, and that's the only set with him in one that I would have...

Anyways, these two sets are very nice, and not too expensive either... how I miss the old days with the small SW sets... :cry_happy:

Thanks for the review, I've added it to the index.

As for these two small sets, I've not got much to say.

Small, useless and inferior to their counterparts from OT.

A must for a collector but not much more than that.

:thumbdown: from me

There are two in the (new version) MTT. Sorry.

Not quite. The Jedi Defense one has printing on it as well, while the MTT ones don't, so it is a unique fig. Also, the Obi-Wan torso is unique, since it has his Padawan braid. All other TPM Obi-Wans wear hoods and don't have the braid.

Nice review!

I had the Jedi defense 1 a long time ago, however I lost all the pieces :sceptic:

Please don't revive old topics just to make a comment like this...

WTH happened to Obi-Wans face?!?!

...and please don't ask questions to the reviewer when the review is over two years old.