Sign in to follow this  
Fat Tony

PtV contest entry: Small

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 20b

Here be me first entry into the contest in the small catagory.

1223954569m_DISPLAY.jpg

Many a pirate's career ended with a short drop and a sudden stop.

12239545701_DISPLAY.jpg

Oh dear, how embarrassing, this poor bloke seems to have lost control of his bladder.

12239545712_DISPLAY.jpg

Heckel helps himself to some leftovers while Jeckel watches. Hyde is swooping in from the air.

12239545713_DISPLAY.jpg

This chap has been dead for a while. His arm has already been picked clean by the birds,

half of his face has been peeled and now they're starting on his leg and entrails, yum!

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/76836

Edited by SlyOwl

Nice work Tony! :thumbup:

The shoddy look of the gallow and the black bird are a great touch.

I'm not so sure about the big grey pole though...

I must agree, the grey pole looks too big and I think another color would be better...

I love your Yekyl, but where the heck is Hekyl? :pir_laugh2:

A very good creation, with a realistical view to how a pirates live often ended if captured by the authorities. :thumbup:

Lovely work. It looks great. The chains around the skeleton look great. Overall great scene.

The bottom seems a little empty though. It would be up to you.

Great work though! :pir-classic:

Opinion

Ohh, ahhh, very nice MOC. I like how the lego minifig that is hanging looks like a person from the 1800's and like how you tied the knot the is hanging the lego minifig. Is that lego string or another kind of string? Also, the base is very creative. I like the tall pillar. I see you used caravan wheels to hold the chain together as bars so the prisoner. Nice detail on the prisoner, you put a skeleton head and arm to make it look like he is rotting and the red wire as blood. The black bird makes it even better because he is picking the flesh off of the dead body. Overall, this is a very cool creation for this contest and I would of never thought of this myself. Great imagination.

Possible Improvements

1) Instead of having the base plate brown, maybe you could add some blue tiles so it looks like the guy is hanging over water instead of the ground.

2) You could change the color of the tall blue pilar to brown maybe.

Overall- This is a great MOC with lots of detail. It is amazing how you have a guy hang and ontop of that, you have a guy chained in. Nice work Fat Tony

Good Luck!!

LegoKing

Edited by LegoKing

This is a really nice entry Fat Tony!

The chained-up thing (I'm not entirely sure what it is :pir-tongue:) Looks great. I love the bird scavenging the old meat.

However I agree with the others that the large gray pole is a bit bulky. Maybe brown would look a bit better?

Also I think that underneath the platform, you should add something. Some plants, or even just tiles would add a lot to it.

Overall, a great entry!

nice works ! I love the crow's design!

Edited by Guss

Gory but nice. Any reason why the pole is blue?

God Bless,

Nathan

Poor pirates! :pir-sceptic:

I like the cage with chains and the crows :thumbup: Very original ideas

The pole where the cage's hanging on could be better but it doesn't make the picture less evil! :pir-skull:

Edited by Cap'n Blackmoor

Gory but nice. Any reason why the pole is blue?

God Bless,

Nathan

Actually, it's dark bley but it does look kind of blue in the picture.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm gonna try to change the pole and add something

below the gallows, as suggested. I'll see if I can have new pics up this weekend.

A gallows and a very gruesome gibbet! That'll certainly teach other pirates not to pillage any villages in the near future.

As noted that crow is particularly well designed for a brick bird which often look somewhat abstract given they're small and it's hard to get the details right.

I really like the gallows, the cage, the guy in it and the crow :pir-wub: . But I'm not too sure about the very long pole and I can't help but feel this moc is too "clean"/empty or something, it's kinda hard to describe.

Edited by Fluyt

After taking a secondary, more intense look and taking the opinion of my fellow members into consideration, I can give you the following advise. (my opinion can be found up)

Possible improvements:

1) I would recommend to rebuild the large pole in another color or with another kind of bricks, although this one looks reasonable, I doubt it will win a prize because of the pole...Sorry, just want to be honest...

2)Maybe you could add some blood on the tiles down of the gallows (the hanged one spawns out buckets of blood because hes shocing or something :pir_laugh2: ...)Maybe put a dagger in his torso as well and then you could lay down some "intestins/organs" as well ! :pir-classic:

3)Putting a small red brick on or in the crows mouth might add some cruelty as well.µ

4)Add "Work in Progress" to ya title or title description, so people know it from the beginning its not yet the final version, but off course those who read the threads in total (as it should be done BTW) would know this anyways.

5) Putting an executioner next to the gallows (or on it) would make the MOC look more "comprehensive" and "filled" I think.

ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE JUST TIPS, please do not see anyhing as negative comment.

Have fun building, and keep up the good work !

To the mods: sorry for reposting part of my comments, but I did this to "incorporate" my new "system" :pir-wink:

Edited by zorro3999

I'm not really sure what to say. The chained box is very well executed, but the person inside should be a regular skeleton, as clothing decomposes at about the same rate as humans do, in open air, of course. the crow is cute, but something is missing about him. The grey pole shoud be old brown, or some type of brown, as grey throws the whole thing off. The noose is quite realistic in this MOC, but it is lacking the gore I expected. My MOC must really be gorier than everyone else's.

I think that you might want to consider adding another minifig, the exicutioner, for the hanging part of it. It looks excellent great detail, except for the big grey pole.

This is a very nice entry to the contest and I can see some gruesome stuff in it! The big pole would be better if it were black or brown. The skeleton arm and skull is a nice touch. The raven/bird has a lot of detail in it including the wings, beak, and feet. I agree with the other members that there should be something under the hanging area. Something like barrels or boxes filled with guns or chains. Other than that it is a really good entry!

Lego12

I find this set was a breath of fresh air.

What do I mean? Tune in to find out!

The SNOT is excellent (90%) and the use of rubber bands(?) for gore is quite good. It's good to see PTV(Pillage the Village/Peter Television, LOL!) is forcing AFOLs to resort to more non-ship formats. and guess what? Fat Tony did a good job with it! Yes the pole needs different colors, and yes, giving the crow eyes, in my opinion, would make it better. Still, Tony did a great job of portraying, in my opinion, the pirates life in a still slightly appropriate (for Lego) format!

Way to go Tony!

basically, it was good. :pir_yoda:

Fat Tony, this is just great! :thumbup:

The usage of snot is wonderful, and I don't think we've seen real gibbet before. The rubber bands as blood isn't really new, but your usage is very good. It reminds me of the opening scene in PotC 2. I like the ramshackle appearance of the gallows, as if it's about to fall and rather than having their necks snapped, their legs are broken :pir-devil: The crow/raven is a great design, and the use of wagon wheels in the gibbet's great too.

5/5! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for all the great feedback. Lets see what ya think with these minor improvements. Better? Worse? Still needs something? Let me know.

12233406591_DISPLAY.jpg

12233406592_DISPLAY.jpg

Tony, this is a LOT better, I like the improvements you have made. This MOC is in for the prizes now ! :pir-wink:

Your executioner is looking so good, the only thing I would add, was some blood or guts beneath the gallows. But that is just an opinion, it would not change much to the fact this looks great now.

Tony, a well-deserved from me !

Hi Fat Tony,

I wanted to comment this much earlier ago. Finally, I am able to add on to your this terrific small entry. To be honest, I think you have did a great job with your improvements. It certainly looks much better, with its brownish color scheme, by using brown barrels to illustrate the creaky tall crane to hold its half dead or almost dead prisoner in mid air.

The cage looks wicked, with a nice touch of that crow feeding on its flesh. The unbearable pain, of stucking in the small little cage, with no food and water, starving and finally met its doom. Leaving its death humiliated by the living, the corpse is placed there to serve as a warning to others. The minifig was a good illustration of my thoughts above when I viewed your entry.

The hangman looks keen to execute its prisoner, releasing the plank below and face its death. Very good design considerations such as the neat little knot, the handcuffs, the gravel flooring and the opened plank. This is a very fine entry with minimum flaws. :pir-blush:

The only thing, I will actually add on, is by adding sharp white horns at the floor below. In case, the rope snapped, the prisoner will have no way to survive. Talking about "double death". :pir_laugh2: I am not sure it will actually fit the entire concept, fearing it might ruin its orignality. Nevertheless, this is just a thought of what I will add if this was my entry.

Looking forward to your rest of the entries. :pir-sweet:

WhiteFang

Wow... Very great improvements, but still not enough goriness.

EDIT: I just realized the executioner is Hinkley's sig-fig! How dare you insult Hinkley!

Edited by Thomas B.