• 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Divers Scuba Squad

Set #: 6556

Year Released: 1997

Piece Count: 72

Minifigs: 2

List Price: $8.75

Aside from boats, submarines, sharks, and underwater reefs, the Divers theme also offered this little beach van set with trailor and raft. It was a nice addition to the Divers collection, and the only wheeled-vehicle in the line-up. The set included a van, trailor, raft, two figs, and some nice exras.

Starting with the box, I love the Divers theme boxart:

01box1.jpg

Some alternate models on the back. I love the water skier:

02box2.jpg

The same image on the box appears on the instructions:

03instruct1.jpg

Here's the back of the instructions:

04instruct2.jpg

These stickers are for the sides of the van:

05decals.jpg

I love the figs in this set, my favorite from the Divers collection. Most of the figs that appeared in the Diver sets were red and black, but these were blue and had different prints on their torsos. Is that Diver Dan? (Mystery Ship Reference :laugh: ):

06figs.jpg

This set also includes blue flippers (the ones I remember as a kid). Here's an image of the accessories:

07access.jpg

A yellow raft is also included within this set:

08raft.jpg

Here's the van and trailor:

09veh1.jpg

Decals intentionally left off

The trailor uses the rare hitch piece found in other classic Lego haulers:

10trail.jpg

Here's the van. I like the use of the trans. blue moon roof piece:

11van.jpg

There's a second one used in the back:

12van2.jpg

The complete Scuba Squad set:

13set.jpg

Final Thoughts:

I think Scuba Squad makes for an excellent starter set to the Divers theme (or) even an outstanding addition to a Classic Town bringing a vacation/day at the beach element to any table town. The set offers a great amount of playability, esp. for a set this size. I love attaching the trailer to the beach van and pulling the raft around in search of that favorite treasure hunting location. The colors of the set look great and the set only takes a few minutes to build.

Lastly, the set reminds me a little of 7737 Coast Guard 4WD & Jet Scooter:

7737-1.jpg

Happy snorkeling without the sharks!

I like this set but it doesn't really fit with the other divers sets for some reason. Nice review. :thumbup:

I think it's a great addition consistent with the style and colors of other Diver sets. It is the only land/wheeled vehicle though.

Such a nice set! :sweet: The figs are especially good... and I'd love that flag! I might have to BrickLink that! :tongue:

Thanks for the review.

I voted 3 (average) because it just gives tou a boat and a car and thats it, doesnt go that well with harbour or rescue i fear.

As usual: a very good review, just as we expect from you

I loved this set- my favourites of the Diver line was when there was an above water element as well as the underwater sea beds.

The Blue Divers were far better than the Reds too. :classic:

I like this set, too. Great review!

The red divers are better because they have two bases of operation - one underwater (6441 Deep Reef Refuge) - one above water (1782 Discovery Station), plus a large boat, two smaller boats, two small submersibles, two medium submersibles, and two larger submersibles with passenger seats, and also a helicopter and 3 rafts.

The blue divers rely heavily on boats, since they have no base of operation. They have a regular boat, a pontoon boat (in 6559 Deep Sea Bounty) , a small submersible, 2 rafts, and a truck with trailer.

I have most of the sets, tried putting them together recently, the teeth that held the arms together fell apart on the submersibles, probably due to the age of the pieces.

The red divers are better because they have two bases of operation - one underwater (6441 Deep Reef Refuge) - one above water (1782 Discovery Station), plus a large boat, two smaller boats, two small submersibles, two medium submersibles, and two larger submersibles with passenger seats, and also a helicopter and 3 rafts.

The blue divers rely heavily on boats, since they have no base of operation. They have a regular boat, a pontoon boat (in 6559 Deep Sea Bounty) , a small submersible, 2 rafts, and a truck with trailer.

Interesting thought to compare the two diving factions. I never really separated them thinking they were all part of the same diving team.

On another note, it's ashame most of the new Coast Guard figs are all orange and blue.

Thanks so much for the review, TheBrickster! :sweet:

What a great set this is! I fact, I just purchased the 7737 yesterday, and I definatly see a resemblance. :thumbup:

-VBBN

Why did most of the Diver sets have Hitler in them? :tongue:

The face has turned up to me a few times.

The Van is nice, the hitch piece is also in the 2005 firetruck.

I'm suprised the Coast-Guard 4WD is a (Don't kill me) little less <insert that tiresome argument>! Is the flag in the Krusty Krab too?