Sign in to follow this  
dunamis

Review: 10188 Death Star

ONLY 3 left on Amazon as of this moment!!!!

It's Amazon though, so stock may get replenished. But at this late in the game...it may not...

ONLY 3 left on Amazon as of this moment!!!!

It's Amazon though, so stock may get replenished. But at this late in the game...it may not...

Down to 1, but it may be also because it is $375. S@H still list it, but I am glad I have a spare one arriving soon

Bought this set three days ago at the LEGO Store and started putting it together yesterday. Besides numbered bags, I also noticed that my Han Solo faces have white pupils.

Great review! :thumbup: Now I want this!

Suggestions any one, shall I get this one or the new SSD 10221? I usually don't buy playsets and had decided on 10221, but this Death Star is really something...

Great review! :thumbup: Now I want this!

Suggestions any one, shall I get this one or the new SSD 10221? I usually don't buy playsets and had decided on 10221, but this Death Star is really something...

I chose the Death Star over the Executor for several reasons. The display footprint for the Death Star is smaller than that of the SSD. I simply don't have the space to display the SSD properly. I like the Death Star for its sheer variety. It's got a lot of features, moving parts, and attention to detail. Comes with a great set of figures, too. It functions equally well as both a playset AND a display piece. It's a great conversation piecefor hardcore Star Wars fans and even casual ones.

For me, the SSD is primarily a showpiece and has very little play value. As great a ship as it is in the movies, I actually prefer the design of the LEGO SD over the LEGO SSD. Considering they are both the same price (US $400), I think the Death Star is a better value than the SSD.

/my two cents.

Edited by woodypop

As awesome as this set is, and make no mistake I feel it is completely great, I can't help but feel it would have been even better if they had a shell of some kind to cover it up and make it also function as a model of the Death Star. Then we would have the very best of both worlds. :classic:

As awesome as this set is, and make no mistake I feel it is completely great, I can't help but feel it would have been even better if they had a shell of some kind to cover it up and make it also function as a model of the Death Star. Then we would have the very best of both worlds. :classic:

Then it'd cost 200 bucks more. It'd also be kinda pointless as 10143 is already the shell for the most part.

Then it'd cost 200 bucks more. It'd also be kinda pointless as 10143 is already the shell for the most part.

The point would be that you could have a great playset AND model of the Death Star I. That's like saying we should never have updated models of anything ever again because it already has been made. Besides Death Star II is very different from Death Star I as we all know. The way I see it, this is slated to be the ultimate Star Wars set of all time. Why not truly make it as such. I have a hunch people would still buy it at a higher price. Not sure about $200 more, but certainly it would be more expensive and more awesome IMO. :classic:

Edited by sharky

The point would be that you could have a great playset AND model of the Death Star I. That's like saying we should never have updated models of anything ever again because it already has been made. Besides Death Star II is very different from Death Star I as we all know. The way I see it, this is slated to be the ultimate Star Wars set of all time. Why not truly make it as such. I have a hunch people would still buy it at a higher price. Not sure about $200 more, but certainly it would be more expensive and more awesome IMO. :classic:

As far as The LEGO Group and its target audience are concerned, both Death Stars are the same size.

Edited by fallenangel309

Excellent detail review. I just bought this one and the Super Star Destroyer from Amazon.com (US) when they were on sale for Thanksgiving. Can't wait to build them but need to clean some space in my room...

Aww man this is a set to die for! :cry_happy: I loved the fact that you documented each section of the model and hats off to your dedicated and meticulous work.

Great review dunamis and I look forward to seeing other works by you

And some parting words "I came, I saw, I bricked