Sign in to follow this  
dunamis

Review: 10188 Death Star

Wow great review. I didn't realise how much detail there was in this set, i love the way the escape hole leads down the trash shoot into the trash compactor. Could you maybe take a pic of how it works or just the shoot going down?

Also you didnt mention the Swooshability of the set? :tongue: lol

Is it pretty sturdy on its base though? or is it fragile?

keep up the great reviews!

Incredibly great set! :grin: With lots of nice details, and especially: great and lots of figs! :vader:

BUT: Pricey..

Maybe your money is well spend, but it still is quite a large sum.. :wacko::laugh:

Also you didnt mention the Swooshability of the set? :tongue: lol

Is it pretty sturdy on its base though? or is it fragile?

From my own finished Death Star I can tell you that this set is VERY sturdy, and yes, it IS actually swooshable (I hold it by the walls under the floor). It might be a bit heavy, though, for some. I have cats, one of which jumped on my UCS ISD last week, with expected results :hmpf: but I've been able to keep the DS standing on the floor with no dire cat-related accidents.

Excellent review and photos Dunamis, thanks!

I'm hoping to get this set too this year but in the meantime I keep browsing through all images, marvelling at all the awesome details and pondering on how I'd display all my minifigs!

Just wondering if you or anyone can tell me which version of Vader's head has been used under his helmet? Is it a new print or the eyebrow-less print?

I think it's a new print, judging from this.

Ah, very cool! Cheers for that. There's some nice comparisons of the other minifigs in that folder too. I had hoped Vader's head was another new print, I was never too keen on the RotS 'browless' version, made him look a bit blank IMHO. The new print rocks!

:vader: on!

Yay!In-depth review of the Death Star!Some Questions:Is the build divided into bags?And is there any tieing involved?(With the Strings)How high does the Hanger elevator go?(Like are your minifigs just able to walk off of it cleanly,or do they have to step up a bit to get off?)And where did you put the other Stormie? :tongue: (There was only one in the minifig pics)

Edited by Da Death Star!

Yay!In-depth review of the Death Star!Some Questions:Is the build divided into bags?And is there any tieing involved?(With the Strings)How high does the Hanger elevator go?(Like are your minifigs just able to walk off of it cleanly,or do they have to step up a bit to get off?)And where did you put the other Stormie? :tongue: (There was only one in the minifig pics)

No, the build is not divided into bags. Just dump everything out and get started

You have to tie the string to the winch at one end and the platform at the other.

The elevator stops just below the floor level, it is not flush with the floor.

The other stormie is off on a 'special' mission...

No, the build is not divided into bags. Just dump everything out and get started

You have to tie the string to the winch at one end and the platform at the other.

A couple of questions (from someone who's Death Star is in the mail...)

Were there any missing pieces?

How many different piles did you use for sorting?

What did you sort into? (Tubs, the plastic baggies ect)

Thanks

A couple of questions (from someone who's Death Star is in the mail...)

Were there any missing pieces?

How many different piles did you use for sorting?

What did you sort into? (Tubs, the plastic baggies ect)

Thanks

Nope, no missing pieces, although with the bad coloring of the instructions, you might get a few colors wrong, making you THINK you have pieces missing. Asides from the usual assorted small pieces I actually got a few major pieces extra (I think) and also an extra red Imperial guard cape.

I sorted the bricks into at least 12 tubs, and two shoeboxes for the large plates and bricks. The pieces are all unsorted, but there are a few bags which contain the same pieces, so you can leave those unopened for a while, while building.

Great review! The set is huge and I think it's an awesome playset. But, I have a question..I maybe get this set next year, it costs 400 but I already wanted to buy 3 Medieval Market sets..(costs 300)..but I don't know which one I should get, and which one is better? Please help!!

Hhhmm,the sorting might be troublesome.Same with the tieing,but the elevator stopping just under the floor is actually good,as it makes it more movie-accurate. :tongue: Thanks for answering :sweet: .More questions:

Wich part would you say was the hardest to build?

Can the Emperor actually fit down the hole provided to throw him down?

And what do you think is the best way to transport it?(Like from room to room)

Could you take a picture of the collabsible catwalk when its collapsed?

Edited by Da Death Star!

Yup, now I know it, I will buy the Death Star next year and if I have enough money left the Medieval Market..

I'll try to get the Y-Wing too this year..Maybe two?

By the way, can you put some pictures of the catwalk collapsing and the other stuff (for example the elevator in the center of the Death Star going up and down) you haven't put there yet, please? I really want to see how it looks when the catwalk collapses and Luke falls off... :vader:

I got this set yesterday. The four boxes and also the bags inside are numbered.

I know what it means to sort thousands of bricks, since I built the huge Millennium Falcon.

I know what it means to sort thousands of bricks, since I built the huge Millennium Falcon.

LEGO_facepalm.gif

Last post was on

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

I´m glad to hear that. :thumbup:

I just ordered that set yesterday and I was wondering if the bags were numbered or not. Thanks!

Thanks for info. I have it in my basement, collecting dust at the moment. No time to build :(

Sorry once again for a bump...

Knowing that I would eternally regret it should I miss out on this set, I finally got around to picking up a copy of it a week ago.

Upon opening the box I was surprised to find that the four white sub-boxes no longer had the geometric shapes on them, but instead they were marked 1-4. I thought little of this change at first, however as I began dumping out the contents of each box I was shocked to see that the bags were numbered! *oh2* The largest box (1) contained bags marked '1-3', box 2 contained bags '4', box 3 contained bags '5&6', and box 4 contained bags '7'. As per usual with numbered bags, each number was used to build a certain section of the model. While I'm sure a lot of people would be overjoyed to find such a large set contained numbered bags, I was quite disappointed. I was really looking forward to having to search through 48 bags of parts and enjoying a lengthy build. When building smaller sets with numbered bags, I usually dump out all the parts in one large pile. With the Death Star I really didn't feel like having a mound of parts made up of nearly 4000 pieces. With other large sets with unnumbered bags (such as the Taj Mahal or Tower Bridge), I open all the bags and just pick out what I need as I go. I must say though that the builds for the Taj Mahal and Tower Bridge weren't particularly fun/memorable - the joy of dealing with massive amounts of bagged parts was killed by repetitious builds and having to deal with 90% fiddly little parts. The Death Star on the other hand deals with relatively larger parts, and it is a very varied build. Anyways, to make a long story short (too late) - while I thought the build for the Death Star was incredible, the numbered bags severely dampened my fun and build time. At a snail's pace I was able to complete the set in around 15 hours. (Note, I'm not some sadistic maniac, I just love searching through loads of bags of parts from time to time).

Numbered bags aside, this set has really lived up to all of it's hype. If this isn't the most playable set ever, then it's at least way at the top of that list. I truly believe the Death Star will go down as not only being one of the greatest Star Wars sets of all time, but being one of the best Lego sets, period! Pictures really don't do the set justice, it's a good size and has got more neat little details and functions than you can shake a *insert noun* at. I agree that it could easily host way more minifigures and actually feels borderline barren. These extra minifigures would have to come free of charge however, as this set is already very expensive. In any case, I'm extremely pleased with this purchase and I know I'll only cackle maniacally when this set goes out of production and instantly skyrockets in price on places like ebay and Bricklink :grin: Death Star, how I love thee! :wub:

Anyways, to make a long story short (too late) - while I thought the build for the Death Star was incredible, the numbered bags severely dampened my fun and build time. At a snail's pace I was able to complete the set in around 15 hours. (Note, I'm not some sadistic maniac, I just love searching through loads of bags of parts from time to time).

Well, you could have just opened all the bags and dumped them in a pile! The numbered bags make it easier for some people but by no means do you have to open the bags when required.

I think a bump is needed...this set could be disappearing sometime soon. This is easily the greatest SW set there is. Anyone who doesn't have it needs to get it before it's gone.

Edited by StoutFiles

I have this set sitting in a cupboard, it has been for nearly 2 years now. I want to build it, and looking at these great reviews makes me want to do so even more, but I simply don't have the space to store it anywhere. There is a strong temptation to get another, as surely they will soon be discontinued

First post. :classic:

I really like this review, and the way you pay attention to those little details such as the cranes - or the detention center. Really love it!

Actually, I've found that displaying the Death Star doens't actually need to take up that much space as some people might imagine: the footprint of this set really isn't that big, and I have it displayed on a corner of a wardrobe. It's stable enough not to topple (or roll!) over, and hardly takes up more floor area than a set like the Endor Bunker (actually, it probably takes up less floor space). Of course, it is pretty high, but I have less problems displaying tall sets than I do with displaying wide sets (say, Home One).

Edited by Alldarker