• Perfect

indexed.gif

Name: Blacksmith Shop

Number: 3739

Theme: LEGO > My Own Creation

Year: 2002

Pieces: 622

Minfigs: 2

Price: EUR ≈27,05€ / ≈USD 40.00$ / ≈GBP 21,52£ (MSRP)

Special parts:

Chrome Gold Minifig, Utensil Bugle (new sold for $1,53)

Light Gray Brick, Modified 1 x 1 x 2 with Shutter Holder (new price $1,82)

Maiden - 3739 (new price $13,58)

Blacksmith II (new price $6.70)

(Instructions) for Set 3739 Blacksmith Shop (new sold for $10.63)

Introduction:

I first wanted to review the 7710 and 7715 in a dual review. Unfortunately I couldn't find some parts, so that review will need to wait a little.

Some time ago we decided to rebuilt most of our shops, cafes and houses in "Blacksmith shop" style. This design is strong and durable. This makes it possible to take quite some buildings to the LEGO fan events both in our home country and abroad. Most of the time, the Blacksmith shop is the only original building that we normally have in town. Next event where we will take the set and the sets that are based on the shop.

Unfortunately, we don't have the box or instructions.

When working to get our buildings done for next LEGO event (probably LEGOWorld 2008 in Zwolle, NL). Suddenly we spotted a fair maiden, walking through the cedar woods:

01MaidenInWoods.jpg

02BetweenTheTrees.jpg

We can already see the nice place lying there behind the trees.

03KnockingOnTheDoor.jpg

After knocking on the door and not getting an answer, the maiden sudden realizes that she has a key herself :smile:

04Entering.jpg

Here you see her entering the dusty house. Living in a blacksmith shop is not always easy for a fair maiden like her.

05FrontFamily.jpg

Here is she, next to the man that she has a holy matrimony with. Till death do them part.

06Front.jpg

Here you see the front of the shop. A nice branch makes it even neater. Two nice red windows downstairs. It is design in real "Fachwerk" (although I have heard some german critisism on it ;))

07Backside.jpg

Here you see the back with the hinges that makes it so strong and universal: you can make a compact square house or a longer two by two version like in the previous picture. We will go into the details a little later. The wife is already upstairs dusting the bedroom. A blacksmith is not too good with vacuuming etc I've been told. The fire in blazing, both downstairs and upstairs, I'm not sure if the fire dept. would approve of such a construction though.

08Details.jpg

Here the 'square' version where the house is 'folded in'. Looks very nice with those red windows and green shutters/hingeplates downstairs. In the insets the not so maiden climbing the stairs. The master blacksmith with his huge anvil. In the attic there seems to be some crest, is that the place where the master has his money or are there just spare dresses for the wife in there?! The bed is large enough for two minifigs although it is a bit cozy then if you know what I mean. The master and his wife don't seem to mind.

09Chimney.jpg

A look at the chimney when the house is closed. Nice built, although this side looks a bit boring in this position.

10Barrel.jpg

The master doesn't only have a treasure crest, but also a treasure barrel. What would be in it? Nice red wine from France, fine whiskey, maybe rum or would it be the famous grog?! (Do feel ashamed if you hop in this sub forum and don't know what grog is [i have seen a topic on the most famous grog drinker of all]).

11Hammer.jpg

Above the door a nice welcoming feature. Would it be rigged so that unwanted visitors can be punished?!

12Table.jpg

Apparently mrs. hasn't been here yet with here anti-dust paraphernalia. A table with a pan (probably standing there for as long as she was gone visiting her parents).

13Weapons.jpg

Here some of the items that our prof already crafted. Maybe he can craft me some black swords as well ;)

14RightSideBack.jpg

An overview of the left side.

15LookingOutSide.jpg

Well, let's first open some windows and hang the sheets and covers outside in the fresh air!

16Bird.jpg

Then feed the almost starved bird, he is already starting to look very brownish. My canary started to look brown also after some weeks.

Finally some last shot of the magnificient design of the fireplace and a nice angle shot.

17PeakInside.jpg

Conclusion

Really nice set with a lot of details. Much better than the original Blacksmith shop. Too bad this one did not reintroduce the black sword!

This set can be found on:

Peeron

Lugnet

Brickset

Bricklink entries

Playability: 8/10 (A lot of tools and accessories, two minifigs, it should be also a lot of fun for children!)

Design: 9/10 (Nice set, I really like it a lot! Maybe partially because it is a MOC)

Price: 8/10 (I got mine for 45€ and parting them for $129.72 should say a lot.)

Overall: 8/10 (nice set, even for non-Castle people like us)

Link to designer:

http://www.brickmania.com/Gallery2/castle/blacksmith.html

More information from our Classic Castle archives:

Blacksmith Shop was released in 2002 by LEGO. It was originally a custom set designed by Daniel Siskind in 2000. LEGO purchased the rights and made the Blacksmith Shop the first set in their "My Own Creation" line of fan designed sets. The lower floor of the shop contains an anvil, tool rack, fireplace, and stairs while the upper living space has a bed, table and chair, and a keg. A Blacksmith and his wife are included along with various accessories.

Note: here you can see one of our buildings that was based on this set: the Warsteiner Cafe and the most recent one shown at 1000steine meeting in Kaltenkirchen

Edited by KimT

This must be one of the best reviews since the start of Eurobricks.

You've managed to make this much more than just a review.

Great story, great pictures, amazing review :wub:

Btw, I've moved the review from the pirates forum to the H&A forum.

:cry_sad::pir_bawling: I want this set! It is one of the best sets, IMO! :cry_happy: Great review! :thumbup: Can't wait for other reviews! :thumbup:

Lego12

Edited by lego12

Woh, thanks a lot for this amazing review! I think this would be the set i want the most from all, one of the greatest castle sets ever released, if not the best. I want it so bad :cry_sad:

But there's one thing i want to find out forever, what is the golden trumpet piece supposed to be? is it actually a trumpet for the blacksmith's music likes, or is it something other?

Edited by metalandi

It is not too hard to build such a buildings, but the nice additions and figs are a bit difficult to get of course. We now have in our city (a this moment in boxes waiting for LEGOWorld):

- Butcher

- Fish shop

- Cafe

- McDonalds

- Greengrocers

- Some factories (look different but same footprint and hinge idea)

- Barrel and crate manufacturer

- Albert Heijn supermarket

- Pizzeria

- Ice cream shop

- Station

- Signal house (only 'one part').

- Ministickers shop (the one in the Kaltenkirchen pic with green roof and red / white / blue colors)

So you can say that we like the Blacksmith shop quite a bit ;)

We adjust most of the buildings to our needs and its purpose of course, some have different roofs, some have higher or lower sections, etc.

About the trumpet, I was wondering that too, but it slipped my mind when posting. I guess we should contact the master ;)

Edited by JopieK

JopieK, "BEST REVIEW" ever done! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I agreed with Bonaparte that the way you do is more than just a review! I am so excited to know that someone like you, showing to us this wonderful set which was released during the LEGEND era and it seemed to have limited stocks as well. I had never seen this set before in my country. :cry_sad:

With this review of yours, I am able to admire the facade of its exterior and interior. It seemed to be very dusty inside. I simply enjoyed viewing these pictures of yours. No more red light appearing in these pictures anymore. These are high quality images. Thanks JopieK for these super review. You have certainly make my day! :wub:

Absolutely amazing review JopieK!

This set is wonderful. The design of the house is really well done. It looks more like some great castle MOCs you see nowadays rather than an old set.

Those interior details are magnificent also.

Thanks a lot JopieK! :classic:

I fell in love with this set when I came across it late last year after coming out of the dark ages. The design really wows me. And your review is right on the mark. I would recommend anyone to get the set.... although it cost a bomb to get it nowadays.

A perfect design for what ought to be a perfect set.

I really like this set, don't get me wrong here.

But......

The hype concerning this set doesn't really do well for the set.

It's a fine MOC (and set), but it's highly overrated in my opinion.

For it to be supercool it needs a little more of the UCS MF feeling to it.

It was a supercool set in 2002, but compared to the similar sets of today this one is...average :blush:

I know I'm sticking my head out for a bashing, but that's how I feel...

This review has made me wanna rebuild it NOW! Perhaps I'll change my mind then :grin:

Thanks for this review JopieK, you keep stunning me with your super reviews :thumbup:

I've added it to the index (discovered that I'd forgotten to have this set in the index) and added a poll.

Great review! Lots of good photography and explanation. I particularly like reviews that are done in a narrative style, as it makes it more interesting for the reader. You note that you didn't have the instructions, but even if you used the online instructions, it would have been nice to have some mention about the actual construction process (quality of directions, unique pieces contained in this set, etc, etc)

Despite that, I was so charmed by this review that I gave it a "Perfect"

I tried to like a nice set for the master proof, but promise that next review will be a dual review again :classic:

It might be overrated sometimes, but the design is simple, elegant and effective, that is why we use it so often for other buildings, I think the modular houses is also too much hyped, but this is a great alternative.

Wow, spectacular review, JopieK! :sweet::thumbup: The way you've told this review like a story, excellent!

At first, I thought this set was a MOC, but then I checked the title again... it looks like an awesome set, one which I had never heard of before. Not too expensive either...

Keep these great reviews coming! :thumbup:

Nice review, but I don't care too much for this set. It may seem odd to many, but I like Lego sets as playsets and not models.

Nice review.

This set was maybe hyped because it was just better than most KK 1 sets. So it was not that strange. When you just have seen the new Medievil Marketplace

for next year it is not that great. But even than I would say it is a nice set with 2 civilians and a nice furnitured building. And If TLC would release it now in the shops for 30 euro I would get one.

Btw: this was the last set with blue roof slopes, Pity they don't do that anymore.

Nice review.

This set was maybe hyped because it was just better than most KK 1 sets. So it was not that strange. When you just have seen the new Medievil Marketplace

for next year it is not that great. But even than I would say it is a nice set with 2 civilians and a nice furnitured building. And If TLC would release it now in the shops for 30 euro I would get one.

Btw: this was the last set with blue roof slopes, Pity they don't do that anymore.

It wasn't just better than all of the Knight's Kingdom sets, it was better than the 'King Leo' so-called 'modular castle system' sets that were out before KK and even better than the 'Royal Knights' that were out before 'King Leo'.

I personally love the fact that this is a COMPLETE building (not just a 'front', or a 'shell') with lots of detail. Yes, the new Market Village set (10193) is STUNNING but, look at this in historical context...MV is coming out almost SEVEN YEARS after the 'Blacksmith Shop'...and look at all of the crap we Castle collector's were subjected to in the interim! IMO, the blacksmith set was WAY ahead of its time and thus, is totally deserving of 'AWESOME' status...which is why I bought two of the buggers when they were first made available. :tongue:

Really nice review, but - what happened to the images?

I've noticed quite a few reviews where the pictures have since dissapeared. My guess is that they have been deleted off the hosting site.

People, please pay attention to the date of when this topic was posted: it's almost two years old. Many people don't keep their images on hosting sites that long because of the way they tend to fill up.

So that's probably why the pictures aren't showing in this topic either.