-JD-

-

Haha! Chickens...

About 15 years ago (maybe more) a group of truly free range chickens decided to setup camp in an old shed near my parent's house. They literally just showed up one day and didn't leave for a year. We didn't feed them (although they got into the compost so I guess that pretty much counts).

There were 2 roosters... one was clearly dominant, and about 6 or 7 hens. No idea where they came from, no clue where they went when they left. My mother, being a professional artist, did many ridiculous paintings of them. I had one hung in my loft until about 6 months ago when she called and asked me to send it to her (she had a client who liked some of the others and wanted to see all of them).

Those chickens were a funny lot. Never ceased to amaze me how they could stand outside in the negative temperature during a blizzard, literally standing in water as it froze around their feet. Strange creatures! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is the funniest topic I've seen in a long time.

Sorry, I don't mean that I think it's funny your chicken died, my condolences! But the subject itself is funny.

I don't own any chickens, but my father does. They look a bit like this one:

chicken.jpg

I have no chicken, I live in a 40m² apartment in Geneva , in the downtown of Geneva, so I can't own any animal, even a little rat will feel claustrophobic in this apartment.

Funny this topic surfaces. I'm trying to get my hands on some chickens; unfortunately the companies' minimum orders are 25. Anyone know of a hatchery with low minimum orders?

My family has had chickens since I was little. We always just got them at the local feed store.

They like to wake me up in the middle of the night with horrible chicken moaning noises that sound like someone's being murdered. It's kind of scary when they're molting and get that undead look.

At my school, the Biology class gets an egg incubator and hatches about 20 or so baby chickens. we then keep them for about a month and give them to a farm :classic: . Too bad when my class got to biology, we didn't get baby chickens, we had to disect frogs and squids :sick: .

What a funny topic! :laugh: I don't own any chickens, but my dad used to live on a farm and he had about 20 chickens! :grin: I used to go and catch them! :classic: But then my dad would kill them and sell them. :cry_sad: My dad sold all of them, though. :hmpf_bad:

Lego12

My wife works with chicken distributer so we buy cheap chicken all the time. My favourite is the home-style kebabs. :wub:

Well, I've never had any chickens, but my cousin in Mexico used to. His name was Pichukees. We would all play a game called,"Run Away From The Chicken Before He Pecks A Hole In Your Leg". I never lost, but I knew his pecks would hurt. Man, I miss him. He was delicious. . .

Funny this topic surfaces. I'm trying to get my hands on some chickens; unfortunately the companies' minimum orders are 25. Anyone know of a hatchery with low minimum orders?

Are you talking about real chickens or BL orders? :tongue:

As for chickens, no. I suppose I could hide some in my room... nah. :tongue: My cat would eat them anyway.

Sounds like the ones you've checked were hatcheries for industrial chickens. You'll want to avoid those, because they have some mental issues and aren't really "pets", so to speak. But try to find a type of breed you'd like to have (Sussex, for example), as different breeds have different behaviour, and hens have a personality to go with that. Try to find a farm that is willing to sell some chickens to you, that way you'll get the better kind. And keep in mind that chickens (hens especially so) are loud and noisy.

I myself don't have any chickens, don't want any either. My father, though, has several kinds of birds. He's had some italian ones (forget what name, they look like the brown one pictured above), and lately Sussex chickens, and a few industrials he got cheap. He also has ducks, geese and peafowls (yeah, the kind with the huge, colourful tails).

Sorry about your chicken dying. :cry_sad: I live in Venice, I'm about 10 yards away from a dang waterway, and the nearest chicken farm is quite a bit away. :tongue: I don't have a chicken. However, I have the cutie-est golden retriever on the planet. :wink::tongue:

Great topic! :tongue:

Sorry to hear about the chicken.

I wonder where I might be able to find some chickens...a rooster might be nice as well. :sceptic:

Edited by NewRight

Sounds like the ones you've checked were hatcheries for industrial chickens. You'll want to avoid those, because they have some mental issues and aren't really "pets", so to speak. But try to find a type of breed you'd like to have (Sussex, for example), as different breeds have different behaviour, and hens have a personality to go with that. Try to find a farm that is willing to sell some chickens to you, that way you'll get the better kind. And keep in mind that chickens (hens especially so) are loud and noisy.

I myself don't have any chickens, don't want any either. My father, though, has several kinds of birds. He's had some italian ones (forget what name, they look like the brown one pictured above), and lately Sussex chickens, and a few industrials he got cheap. He also has ducks, geese and peafowls (yeah, the kind with the huge, colourful tails).

Yep, you're right. Thanks for the tips. :thumbup:

I'd love a Phoenix (Japanese Imperial Chicken; kept by royalty, I think.) :wub:

We had 2 chickens a few years ago, they were given by the towncommunity to the people who have a large enough garden for free, this to promote "recycling" cause chickens eat most of your kitchengarbage.

They both died within the year though... The first one probably of food poisoning :sadnew: and the second one of lonelyness I think :cry_sad:

But my parents call ME sometimes a chicken... :laugh:

We have a lot of decorative ones if that counts...

My grandma will have some soon though.

a old friend of mine from back when i lived in oregon had a few chickens and goats. of course, my favorite one (a chicken named peepers) had to get eaten. Blasted mountainreally big hill wildlife...Oh well, at least my 2nd favorite (a rooster named rocket) was alive last i checked (we hardly ever go to my old hometown anymore... :sadnew: )

just go to a farm and ask for upto 3 chicks. They'll probably give you some if you convince them that you want it as a pet.

When I was little, we used to have banty chickens. One of them, 'Mr. Peep' was a rooster that would come when you called him... At least until he tangled with a neighbors full sized chicken. Then he didn't go anywhere... :sad: He looked a lot like the white one here.

When we buy a house I'm hoping it will have enough room to have a few chickens in the yard...

Steve