Sign in to follow this  
Matn

REVIEW: 7041 Troll Battle Wheel

indexed.gif

This is my first review on Eurobricks, and it's one of the best sets of the 2008 Castle line. I bought it for 25 or 30 euro in July. The Troll Battle Wheel costs at the moment 41,99 euro (£29,99 or $39,99) and has about 508 pieces. Oh, and it's massive!

areviewbw.jpg

Minifigures

Let's start with the minifigures. In this set you get three Crown Knights and three Orcs. (yes, LEGO calls them Trolls, I prefer Orcs)

This is a Crown Knight with a silver helmet, a schield and a silver sword. He's got the head that everybody wants and it's used in a lot of MOC's, if you turn it, he is screaming.

img_0124.jpg

img_0125.jpg

The second Crown Knight has a nice and big silver helmet with an other torso than the other two Crownies. He also has a (sort of) spear to defend him self against the Orcs.

img_0126.jpg

This Crown Knight comes with a silver helmet and sword and a hook on a chain, to grab himself on the Troll Battle Wheel.

img_0127.jpg

Then you will find a Orc 'captain' with a bronze helmet and a skeleton armor. Notice how the head doesn't fit perfectly on the armor, this is because the helmet sticks out a bit and so it doesn't fit good with the armor.

img_0128.jpg

And last but not least, two Orc minions: they have to keep the Troll Battle Wheel rolling. Unfortenately, they don't have any weapons or shields to attack or protect themselves.

img_0129.jpg

Crown Knights' wall

The Crown Knights have to defend themselves against the Troll Battle Wheel with this wall. You can point the spears in other degrees and it also has a catapult with a (round) brick in it to shoot at the Wheel.

img_0131.jpg

img_0132.jpg

Troll Battle Wheel

This is the main part of the set, what it's named after. The Troll Battle Wheel rolls, shoots and crushed everything in its way.

This is the part where you have to put the wheels on, and on top there is a little 'nest' for the Orc captain. It has also a nice Orc flag to put beneath the 'nest'.

img_0134.jpg

img_0135.jpg

img_0139.jpg

It has a shooting mechanism which works good. To good. If you touch it unnoticed, it can launch, and it shoots rather hard. That can be fun in the right hands, but if somebody else gets it in hands, beware!

img_0137.jpg

img_0138.jpg

The wheels consist of many parts and it's a repeating step in the building proces. They consists of a lot of (brown) plates and hinges. If your ready with the main build of the wheels, you have to decorate it with tiles and silver 'tooth' pieces.

img_0140.jpg

img_0141.jpg

I really like the way how they are made, look:

img_0143.jpg

img_0144.jpg

They are pretty big, but I like that very much.

If you are done with that, all you have to do is put the (big) wheels on it:

img_0146.jpg

img_0147.jpg

img_0148.jpg

img_0150.jpg

Conclusion

It's a really massive and big Battle Wheel, that's the first reason why I love it. I also love how it's build and that it consists of many brown pieces, they can come very handy in the future. The Troll Battle Wheel looks much bigger in real life than on the official pictures. The only tiny comment on the Wheel is that it isn't logical: if the Orcs run forward, the wheel will go backwards and not forward. But I don't think the children care about that, I think they find it (at least) as fun as I do. The set has very nice figures, six is good enough for me. The wall is also a nice addition to this set. I really recommend this set to every LEGO Castle fan.

img_0153.jpg

I would love to read your comments on this set, and also on my review itself.

Matn, for your first attempt, your review is very good. :sweet:

I owned this set as well, but was never fond of building it. It does not really appeal to me, in terms of design. The wall is not able to stand on its own. The battle wheel looks a little wierd but offer great fun to play with. Come to think of it, I am very curious of how it functions. Thanks for showing the building process, especially the construction of its wheels. Nice review. :wink:

Terrific review! The set looks like a lot of fun, if a little monotonous to build. It would be great for pieces too, all that dark brown.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I don't know if I would join the acadamy. I do reviews in Dutch on my website, so I think I am not a 'beginner' at writing reviews. However, I never made one in English and with fotos took by myself, so this is indeed a first try. I will just keep it like this, making more reviews in the future on my own. :classic:

maybe they are running backward :P

nice review and nice set, I want one now !

Thanks for this very fine review.

This is one of my favourite Castle sets and I'd really like to get hold of another one.

So many great parts in awesome colours.

What's not to like about it?

I've added the review to the index :thumbup:

if I would buy one, it would be just for parts (primarely the orcs), since I want my orcs to be like in LOTR

Good review, it tells me all i wanted to know

Nice review! I am very tempted to get this set now.

:thumbup:

Well, I caved in! I found a deal on ebay (about 15$ less than I would have paid at the store). I plan on using the big wheels on a larger troll siege engine. Again, thanks for the review!

Well, I caved in! I found a deal on ebay (about 15$ less than I would have paid at the store).

Thats a good deal you have there, USernameMDM! :wink:

Nice review, Matn; maybe i'll buy this set too, but i'm more focussing on dwarves, though :laugh:

I really like this set. The only drawback is that it is one of the most repetitive builds I have ever done. Also, it was hard to get the bends in the wheels the same all the way around.

indexed.gif

This is my first review on Eurobricks, and it's one of the best sets of the 2008 Castle line. I bought it for 25 or 30 euro in July. The Troll Battle Wheel costs at the moment 41,99 euro (£29,99 or $39,99) and has about 508 pieces. Oh, and it's massive!

areviewbw.jpg

Hey... what set is that hair-piece from?

Hey... what set is that hair-piece from?

I believe that is Anikan's from the new Clone Wars sets.

I believe that is Anikan's from the new Clone Wars sets.

Thanks!

BTW... this set just went on sale at LS@H. After I ordered it 3 weeks ago and paid full price...grrrrrr.

My set actually came with a round silver ball to launch in the catapult, not a bley cylinder.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see the post above me. I agree with him, maybe its the countries?

Edited by Spyder

It was a mistake made by me, the set did came with a silver ball, not with a bley cilinder. Sorry to confuse you. :tongue:

The only tiny comment on the Wheel is that it isn't logical: if the Orcs run forward, the wheel will go backwards and not forward.

That's why they run backwards. :classic: