Sign in to follow this  

Is this where you post Model Team stuff on these boards? I'm kind of new here and couldn't find where better to post it among the other themes listed above this one... I suppose Model Team was succeeded by Creator so it should go here... Hmm...

Well anyway here's my new Monster Truck. It's a little trip for me to Model Team and Technic since I'm normally a huge Town and Castle fan :)

monster1.jpg

The front suspension stays parallel to the chassis because of the double liftarms, so the shock absorbers can do their work and the steering, handling or maneuverability won't suffer from it.

cad1.jpg

The workings of the steering itself is very simple:

cad2.jpg

The rear axle is connected to the engine, also via quite a simple and straight-forward system.

cad3.jpg

The shocks are just stiff enough to keep the model upright, so when it drives around it bounces all over the place like a proper Monster Truck :D

Edited by Aliencat

I thought Model Team was Technic-based, so I'll move it to the Technic forum...

I normally post my non-minifig models in 'other themes', but that's not what this is about. It's about the MOC and I'm afraid that I think it is really oddly proportioned. If you look at most monster trucks you see a body based on that of a normal pick-up truck but on a completely different chassis with much bigger wheels. You've got the chassis, but the body doesn't really look like any pick-up truck that I know and it seems much too to wide. The wheels tend to really stick out, much further than is the case on your MOC.

I don't know why the body is so large, but I suspect it's because you wanted to add a lot of technic features to it. It's always great to try something that lies outside of what you normally do, but I think you need to make a clear choice on where you want to go with this. If you want a lot of technic features you probably need to make the whole thing bigger and will need bigger wheels. Alternatively, if you want something that looks like a monster truck I'd recommend forgetting about the engine and focus on the looks. Most model team vans and jeeps had a body that was 10-12 studs wide. One of those would look good on this chassis.

Cheers,

Ralph

You're right, Ralph_S, it does look too big for its wheels.

Since these are the biggest wheels I have I will try to make the truck smaller.

I think I can make it smaller and still keep the engine and steering and all that, I'm going to try.

Alright here's the new smaller one. Same chassis, still works the same way. The engine and steering still fit in. The truck itself is just smaller, like Ralph_S suggested:

bananamauler1.jpg

Brickshelf folder

Edited by Aliencat

That looks a lot better. I hope you are glad that you followed my advice. I sure am! Now it looks like a monster truck. Nicely done and also pretty good that you managed to keep all that clever technic stuff inside it.

Cheers,

Ralph

nice Monster truck ! Maybe you should build some little cars to make it turn them into pieces :P

11/10 for this one ! ^^