indexed.gif

Name: Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive Booster Ring

Set Number: 7661

Theme: Star Wars

Pieces: 575

Price: $49.99 USD, 49.99 Euros

Minfigures: 2

Year of Release: 2007

First off, let me apologize for my lack of reviews lately. I've been very busy, but I've finally found the time to take pictures of a couple of sets and post reviews. The Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive Booster Ring is a bit of a mouthful, so throughout this review it will be reffered to as "JSHBR". When I first viewed this set on Shop@Home, I was very impressed. Generally, every 100 pieces is about $10, so when I saw a near 600 pices set for $50, I recognized a slightly good deal. You certainly get a lot with the JSHBR, including the first and only Kit Firso minifigure. Another great feature of the set is the starfighter itself, which is cool and slick. Now, on to the review.

Box, Instructions, and Minfigure(s)

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_001.jpg

The front of the box.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_004.jpg

The back of the box.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_005.jpg

The front of the instructions.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_006.jpg

The back of the instructions- whoa, what a collection!

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_007.jpg

A random instructions page- #51, I think.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_008.jpg

The minfigure- Obi Wan Kenobi. Fleshie!

For some reason, when I purchased this set, one of the key features was missing- Kit Fisto! Even his lightsaber wasn't present. I gave LEGO a furious telephone call, and they're going to send one over. About Obi Wan, he's a good figure, with a gold band connected to the microphone-thing that is obscured by his hairpice.

kit_fisto.png

This is a picture of Kit Fisto from the LEGO cache, taken via SnagIt.

The Starfighter

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_009.jpg

Obi Wan's Jedi starfighter. Pretty awesome, isn't it?

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_010.jpg

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_012.jpg

The front and back- notice the rear engines and landing gear.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_011.jpg

Interesting piece! I wonder what's under the flap...

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_017.jpg

:oh3: It's an engine-thingy! That's three stickers, right there.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_013.jpg

The open cockpit. I'm glad that a brown seat was included, not some black or white one.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_014.jpg

The controls.

Obi Wan's control's are a very nice design- the front of the cockpit and the lever are attached by a mere technic piece. But why is the control red?!

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_015.jpg

Obi Wan fits sungly in his seat.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_016.jpg

A view of the closed cockpit.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_018.jpg

Obi Wan, always ready to take out the big guns. :tongue:

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_019.jpg

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_020.jpg

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_021.jpg

The landing gear, open and closed.

The Hyperdrive Booster Ring

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_023.jpg

The Hyperdrive Booster Ring.

This is an essential part of the JSHBR, and it's HUGE- so large, it's difficult to take a picture of the whole thing.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_024.jpg

The ring's skeleton.

First of all, sorry for the dark picture. This is a very confusing build, and I messed it up quite a few times. Most of it is symetrical, but not all of it, so when you get to a part that isn't symetrical, you mess it up. I constantly wonder why there are orange and green trans studs on the bottom.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_025.jpg

Atop the ring goes two blue and white plates, foriming the meat of the structure.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_026.jpg

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_027.jpg

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_028.jpg

The engines. There are two symetrical ones, and another that is slightly smaller. All of them give off a "powerful" feel, and the effect is very nice.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_029.jpg

The center portion, where the ship slides in.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_030.jpg

Flick-fire missiles. :hmpf: Does TLC think that they have to incorporate them into every set?

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_031.jpg

The piece that will clamp down on the starfighter, holding it in place.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_032.jpg

The ship in the Hyperdrive Booster.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_033.jpg

The ship is held in place in this very yellowy picture.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_034.jpg

Two pieces on the botom of the ship slide in two holes.

hpyerdriveringstarfighter_035.jpg

Cute droid. :tongue:

The Rating

Playability: 4/5- This is a great set, and with a booster ring, ship, and supposed to be two minfigures, it's worth your while

Minfigures: 4/5- Obi Wan is great, and I hear Kit Fisto is very nice, too

Design: 4.5/5- The great looking starfighter, nice, powerful ring, and incredible overall effect deserves a good grade

Overall: 4.5/5- Near perfect, except for some minor quibble over colors and such

The JSHBR is an amazing set, both cheap and fun. It has a great level of playability, adding an extra minfigure where there would usually only be one (I didn't get him, though :hmpf_bad:), and the overall design is very nice. The starfighter is well built, with cool wings, effective landing gear, and a good looking cockpit. The ring itself is pretty good too, besides the fact that it's a skeleton of technic pieces with some cool plates on top and two flickfire missiles. In the end, this is a set that I'd recommend to fans of Star Wars and those who are not fans, as this is definately worth noting.

Brickshelf Gallery (when public)

Available at LEGO Shop@Home!

Brickset page

Thanks for reading!

Edited by KimT
indexed

Thanks for this great review.

I've added it to the index.

In fact this is perfect timing, since we've got the Plo Koon's JSF MOC to compare it with.

It's a great set with loads of playability and plenty of swooshing for everyone.

Thanks again and keep up the good work :thumbup:

Thanks for the review Adam!

I quite like this set. Sure the ring may be just a large hunk of technic pieces. But it looks great, and when you add a relatively well-designed starfighter plus a lovely Kit Fisto fig, :wub: you get a pretty solid set.

It earns a 4 from me.

The ring is :sick: , but the minifigures and well designed fighter make up for it. I rate this set at above average from what I've seen. I might pick this set up, but the Hyperdrive Ring would be dismantled pretty fast. Great Review!

Thanks for the detailed review Adam :thumbup: . I personally own this set and really like it. Sure, the ring is a bit technical but it overall looks great :laugh: , the jedi starfighter is a big improve of the last two (This has a lot better construction that is very solid :classic: ) and the color is just awesome :grin: . The minifigs are great a cool Obi-Wan and an awesome Kit Fisto minifig (This is my favorite minifig in all the whole line :grin: ).

Thanks for the detailed review Adam :thumbup: . I personally own this set and really like it. Sure, the ring is a bit technical but it overall looks great :laugh: , the jedi starfighter is a big improve of the last two (This has a lot better construction that is very solid :classic: ) and the color is just awesome :grin: . The minifigs are great a cool Obi-Wan and an awesome Kit Fisto minifig (This is my favorite minifig in all the whole line :grin: ).

Nice Review, I think I have an explanation to your missing Kit Fisto. The large sets with exclusive figures are targets of theifs who just want the figures themselves.

I agree this is a good set but in Ireland its way overpriced at €74.99 compared to €49.99 listed in the review.

David

I gave it a 4 (above average).

I like the set, but even down here in Belgium I think it is more expensive (50 euros seems to be cheap).

Good review.

Edited by zorro3999

Not sure how to embed a youtube clip in this forum.

Here's my build of the Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive Booster Ring, with a little side story. (click through to youtube)

Not sure how to embed a youtube clip in this forum.

Here's my build of the Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive Booster Ring, with a little side story.

Hi thinkdoodle, welcome to EB. I have seen you before, with this impressive stop motion video in the local community. It's a real nice video, makes me think that the building process is very fast with the fast forwarding. :laugh:

Do drop by here to introduce yourself with the EB Community. I do hope you will share with us, more of your video productions.

Nice review.

I have this set. I would also buy it when it had only Obi-wan and the jedi fighter, but the ring is a nice addition and adding Kitt Fisto was a terriffic addition. :wub:

The price is in the Netherlands around the 70 euro (50 euro would be a nice price), but I bought it at a local non-blokkergroup shop who has most sets for 5- 10 euro less, so I only paid 58 euro for it.

Saw this in a secondhand store, the box was a little damaged, but it was selling for $30. Still don't know if I should get it or not.

I got this set back in november of the last year but to be honest I prefer (In ship terms) the new V-19 Torrent which is the equivalent of this ship but of this year. I also think the Kit Fisto minifig is my favorite since I got the set :cry_happy: .

I happen to love the JSF so for me, this is a nearlt perfect set. The color, Kit fisto, the booster ring..... I love it.

I really dig this ship, I'd been thinking about it for weeks. The detachable ring, and the bold colors. All the jedi starfighters are slick, but this one has a new design. I'm totally satisfied, and more so since I got it at ¥7500 instead of the ¥10,000 list price.

My only gripe is the cockpit is wobbly, I can't find any way to tighten it.

I was going to pick it up at taget last week, but ended up buying Anakin's jedi starfighter and two rebel battle packs. I'm beginning to wish I had picked this one up instead. :D