• 5 - Outstanding

Truck & Stunt Trikes

Set #: 6739

Theme: Island Xtreme Stunts

Year Released: 2002

Piece Count: 210

Minifigs: 3

List Price: $30 (USD)

Truck & Stunt Trikes will be my final review of the Island Xtreme Stunts collections. (see also 6734 Beach Cruisers and 6735 Air Chase). I first saw this set at legoland during the month it was released. I thought it was so awesome at the time with its bright orange color, 3-wheelers, and new minifigs. I purchased it on the spot to realize later that the set had some big components that seemed to resemble a terrible theme during the same era, Jack Stone. While this set is a lot better, I'll ask that you share your opinion after this review.

Starting with the box, the image shows adventure in action:

01box1.jpg

The back of the box shows some alternate racing models:

02box2.jpg

The instructions had some nice images and even instructions for a race car:

03inst1.jpg Front

04inst2.jpg

05inst3.jpg Instructions - Page 1

06inst4.jpg Instructions - Page 2

07inst5.jpg Backside

The set includes three figs, Pizza Boy, Hippie Chick (who I think is actually called Pepper), and the Brickster. Until taking these pictures, I never noticed that he had green eyes - go figure.

08figs.jpg

What I really like about this set is the fun 3-wheelers:

09cycle1.jpg Yellow belongs to Hippie-Chick

10cycle2.jpg White belongs to the Brickster.

I love the chrome exaust bricks

I don't think the front/cab section of the semi-truck looks bad at all:

11semi1.jpg

It has a nicely detailed front-end with chrome grill piece (although no license plate):

12front.jpg

A nice top section with chrome smokers:

13top.jpg

And working orange doors:

14semi2.jpg

Unfortunately, there's only room for one driver. I do like the black seat and steering wheel though:

15open.jpg

Here's a shot of the back section; nothing fancy:

16back.jpg

Bottom side:

17side.jpg

Is that a Bionicle piece?

Under carriage:

18under.jpg

Now, on to the trailer. This is the part of the set that I never liked. i suppose it's mainy because of the BUTP (Big Ugly Trailer Piece).

19trail1.jpg

The trailer can not stand without the front cab section to support it:

20trail2.jpg

It does have a rack for attaching tools, but I'm not real fond of blocking the end of the trailer with it:

21trail3.jpg

But on the sides of the trailer are two ramps that open to allow the trikes to drive on:

22trail4.jpg

Here's a close-up of the Big Ugly Trailer Piece:

23trail5.jpg

And the trikes on the trailer:

24cycles.jpg

The set includes a small sheet of stickers:

25decals.jpg

And a tool ring:

26tools.jpg

Here's the complete set:

27set1.jpg

28set2.jpg

And a shot with the trailer holding the plane from 6735 Air Chase.

29plane.jpg

Final Thoughts:

I think for playability, this set is terrific making it very enjoyable to younger children. For the AFOL wanting nice detail and/or even a Classic Town feel, it's not all that. It does have some nice chrome elements as well as orange pieces (including the doors to the cab). The two trikes also bring the overall set up a notch. During the year of release, I would probably buy it again. I can't say the same now, in comparison to some of the terrific City sets on the store shelves.

Hope you enjoy this review and please share your opinions of this Island Xtreme Stunts set.

Other Island Xtreme Stunts Reviews:

6734 Beach Cruisers

6735 Air Chase

I think this set is interesting because of these "rare" elements and the two trikes.

Thanks for the nice review. BTW, "Pizza Boy" is actually called Pepper Roni, and "Hippie Chick" is called Sky Lane. :wink:

Honestly, I've always thought that Island Extreme Stunts was a pointless theme. The designs weren't that great, the kits were overpriced, and the figures paled compared to the original versions seen in the first Lego Island game (especially the Infomaniac - his neat and orderly original version was far better than the messy, disjointed version in this theme). Still, I must admit that it does have some interesting pieces, and it was the first theme to introduce minifig skateboards. :classic:

Honestly, I've always thought that Island Extreme Stunts was a pointless theme.

Agreed. At the time it was released, it was a marginal improvement over the complete crap that the City line had turned into. Compared to the amazing stuff we've been getting the past 2-3 years though, it's a pretty weak theme.

I did like the mini-figs though.

Thanks for the review. I am not a huge fan of this set, but I could take those trikes... :grin:

No.

Good review, i really like the truck and the chrome bit on the front.

The trailer would have been better if it was made of various bricks instead of the one big ugly piece. That way they could have also made it more detailed but then i guess the set would cost more due to the added pieces.

This set has some nice elements like the chrome. I also like the BUTP, they don't look that bad to me.

Nope, it's actually a piece from the awful Jack Stone line. I unfortunately have a couple of those kits, so I know where those pieces come from. :tongue:

A great review of in my opinion a sub-par set.

While some parts of it look nice, others such as the trailer look doownright bad. Hippie girl's face is bizzare! That has to be the most lopsided smile I have ever seen. :wacko:

The instruction manual has a very strange look to it as well. It's like a real picture...

I would have to give this set a 2. Thanks for the nice review!

Great review, Im rather upset that this is your last review of the theme. Looks like a great set I really like the trikes.

A great review of in my opinion a sub-par set.

While some parts of it look nice, others such as the trailer look doownright bad. Hippie girl's face is bizzare! That has to be the most lopsided smile I have ever seen. :wacko:

The instruction manual has a very strange look to it as well. It's like a real picture...

I would have to give this set a 2. Thanks for the nice review!

From what I can tell, it looks like that is just a small two page alternate model, not the main instructions. Brickster, do the main instructions use the normal style, or are they real photos like that?

From what I can tell, it looks like that is just a small two page alternate model, not the main instructions. Brickster, do the main instructions use the normal style, or are they real photos like that?

The images I included of the alternate model are just pages out of the main instruction book. In comparing them to the instructions for the main set, they do look a little higher quality. I'm not sure if they are pictures, or just very high quality images.

Here's a link to the scanned instructions: 6739 Instructions