30 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

index2.jpg

What would we do without the trucks of LEGOland to clean up our town? Well, I didn't want to find out, so I bought this set straight away!

7991 Recycle Truck

7991-1.jpg

Set Info

Set Name: 7991 Recycle Truck

Released: 2007

Theme: City

Price: USD 14.99-GBP 12.99-EUR 14.95

Pieces: 206

Minifigs: 1

Review Time!

Leading off, the box

The front shows the recycle man loading up... The trash can? One thing here is really bizarre. On LEGO S@H and everywhere else, it says that this set is called Recycle Truck. Which makes sense as it has a recycle logo on the truck. However, on my box, it says the set is called Garbage Truck :wacko:

Has this happened to anyone else? Or is it just me...

poi_001.jpg

Here is the back of the box which shows some of the things you can do with this set.

poi_002.jpg

The Bags

With this set you get 3 bags which are numbered. And do you see what I see? Yes, that's right, the DSS is in a bag so it doesn't get bent! Why TLG doesn't do this more often is beyond me...

poi_003.jpg

Bag #1

The set comes with a very nice selection of pieces. A large number of these are orange.

poi_004.jpg

Manual

Silly me, I forgot to take a picture of the front of the manual. The picture is the same as on the front of the box.

The back shows some of the 2007 city sets in a nice little scene.

poi_005.jpg

And inside.

poi_007.jpg

Minifig

Here is the friendly garbage/recycle man. He looks nice but with the same head as so many other city figs before him. Come on TLG! Give us some new heads!

poi_006.jpg

The Sticker Sheet

The stickers actually are pretty decent as far as stickers go. I like the recycle sign.

poi_008.jpg

After Bag #1

This is where we stand after the first bag is built.

poi_009.jpg

Bag # 2

The parts contained in the second bag. More nice orange pieces here.

joi_010.jpg

Extra Parts

Some nice 1x1 slopes and 1x1 round plates.

joi_011.jpg

Everything Built

Now that everything is built, let's check it out! The design of the set is very nice and the color scheme looks great. When you see it, you immediately know what it is.

joi_012.jpg

The back has a droid arm that acts as a handle to dump the trash/recycling in the truck. It's simple, but works well.

joi_013.jpg

Here you can see the dumping mechanism. It works by a sliding technic beam with a stopper

joi_014.jpg

On top of the truck you can store the worker's cart. This works really well. I think though that the top of the truck overall looks a bit jumbled up with a few too many different colors.

joi_017.jpg

The bottom.

joi_018.jpg

Trash dumping time! This is a good feature of the set.

joi_019.jpg

A very well built SNOT front section. This looks fantastic with the grills and number plate sticker.

joi_020.jpg

Someone has left a big mess on the street...

joi_016.jpg

Brickshelf Folder

Ratings!

Price: 10/10 (For $15 this is a very good deal at 206 pieces)

Parts: 9/10 (Lots of orange)

Design 9/10 (A very well designed set. Especially the front)

Playability 9/10 (The trash dumper is fun and the added broom and cart make for good play value)

Build: 8/10 (Simple, but stayed interesting)

Overall:45/50

Brickset

LEGO S@H

Bricklink

Peeron

Taking out the trash...

joi_021.jpg

Summary

This is a great small set for the price with fun features, nice colors and good design.

I would certainly recommend this set, no matter what it's really called :tongue:

Thanks, and happy building! :classic:

This is one of those sets that make me really want to start building up a city. It's a great value, has a lot of useful pieces, and is just plain fun to play with. I do miss vehicles having doors though.

Great review. I was a bit curious as to how the dumping mechanism worked. As well as the sticker count.

Yeah, the name on this set is strange. I think all the boxes say Garbage Truck. I guess it's up to each builder to decide whether 1x1 round plates are recyclable material or not. :grin:

It's a great model in any case. I love these highly detailed city trucks we've been getting during the last year or two. I used to have a preference for the late 80s/early 90s city line but some of these new sets have really surpassed them in detail and functionality.

nice truck indeed, but the yellow one is better I think, at least if you put them on a roadplate it seems to me that those road plates are too small for that. Also it will not empty completely because of that panel. Well, for the rest it is a nice set and a fine review!

I own this set and I think it's a really nice truck, but there is two little details that I didn't like :

1/ a recycle truck really Needs 2 minifig, one to drive, one to put the garbage on the back.

2/ the big hole behind the driver seat, it was easy to fill it Like this :

with hole

P5190178.JPG

POUF ! no more little hole!

P5190176.JPG

but this is really a great set anyway. 4/5 for me ( above average )

Nice review. This is a very nice vehicle, one of my favorite of the newer city ones.

JopieK:

There are two generations of road plate that are wide enough for six-wide vehicles like this. The current plates are dark grey with plain white printing, and look not great in my opinion. The previous ones are imo the best road plates of all time - green with dark grey road, white dotted line/zebras, drain covers and yellow verge markings (just like we really have here in Ireland). For urban area I would still choose the green-edged plates and just cover up the green - the markings are so much better than the current plates.

Also it will not empty completely because of that panel.

Actually, it does. The back part of the truck with the panel hinges up, so that when you want the truck to dump, it doesn't get in the way. :wink:

Actually, it does. The back part of the truck with the panel hinges up, so that when you want the truck to dump, it doesn't get in the way. :wink:

I should have taken a better look at the one my brother has ;) It still is a nice truck, much better than all the strange sets that were release those 'dark ages' before.

What a great set and a very nice review Erdbeereis. I think the only improvement to this set would have been the use of chrome exhaust pipes and front grill. I bought this set with a lot of excitement, but unfortunately have not put it together yet.

What are your thoughts on these larger 6-stud wide detailed vehicles as opposed to 4-stud wide classics?

Here's an image of 6668 Recycle Truck released in 1992:

6668-1.jpg

PS. I like the use of "taking out" Sponge Bob in your review. :laugh:

This looks like a great set, and I'm happy you were dumping spongebob, he deserves that. This set looks very nice, and if I see it I will probably pick it up.

What a great set and a very nice review Erdbeereis. I think the only improvement to this set would have been the use of chrome exhaust pipes and front grill. I bought this set with a lot of excitement, but unfortunately have not put it together yet.

What are your thoughts on these larger 6-stud wide detailed vehicles as opposed to 4-stud wide classics?

Here's an image of 6668 Recycle Truck released in 1992:

6668-1.jpg

PS. I like the use of "taking out" Sponge Bob in your review. :laugh:

It's hard to say...

I think if the older 4 wide cars and trucks were as well-designed as the new 6 wide ones, I might prefer those.

Thanks for this review. :classic:

I really love this set. It's perfect for my town, and brings a sense of "classic" when I see it. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review! This is one of the few CITY sets that I own (despite loving the theme so much, most of my town is either custom or classic), and it's about as beautiful as a big garbage truck can ever be. :thumbup:

nice truck indeed, but the yellow one is better I think, at least if you put them on a roadplate it seems to me that those road plates are too small for that. Also it will not empty completely because of that panel. Well, for the rest it is a nice set and a fine review!

Well, the truck BARELY fits onto the old roadplates (not on curves though), so if you put it in a display it probably won't look bad. I think from what I see, this and all the other 6 wide vehicles will fit much better on the newer roadplates, which are four studs wider than the old ones. :wink:

Hi,

I bought this set a while ago, and have since remodeled it into a larger 8 wide truck. Now it can hold a driver and passenger.

2444007530101579773S500x500Q85.jpg

2514859950101579773S500x500Q85.jpg

Its kind of boxy, I may redesign it in the future.

I like this set, but I can't give it a good grade for playability, as the rearmost hinging section is too stiffly hinged, so when you open it, it's likely to break if you hold it just over the shovel and broom.

My truck thus has that function, and with it of course the whole container tipping, disabled.

n08_4025recycle.jpg

I also moved the cab a bit forward and the front axle rearward to give the cab the typical garbage truck look, as they are often very low slung. This also created space behind the cab for some equipment.

That looks like one of those big strange recycle trucks from new york city, i like it!

Thanks guys, its nice to see other people modding the existing design too!