JopieK

Review: 6440 Jetport Fire Squad

Name: Jetport Fire Squad

Set No.: 6440

Theme: LEGO System / Town

Year: 1991

Pieces: 84

Minifigs: 2

Price: USD 27.50$ (which equals about EUR 19,26€ and GBP 15,57£)

Introduction:

One of the sets that especially my cousin likes is this one. One time at the Dutch LEGOWorld event we had three of those there with flashing lights and loud sirens trying to put out the fire that was caused by the crash of again some LEGO aircraft.

We never had this set before our drak ages and the sets probably came from ebay or so. In my opinion the newest Airport rescue is nice too but in the conclusion I will make some additional remarks about that.

Just imagine what it would be like for your LEGO town if the pilot of one of your smaller planes, just couldn't stop before the end of the runway. Here you see the disaster that happened some day in our town:

01Crash.jpg

02Overview.jpg

Fortunately all passengers got out safely thanks to our brave fire fighters. This magnificent truck was used to help putting out the fierce fire caused by the aviation gas from the small plane.

03Figs.jpg

The set includes two firefighters in distinguishable airport uniforms.

04Tools.jpg

In order to be able to safe the passengers and go for a quick intervention, our brave firemen have an axe for each of them, airtanks and a portable fire extinguisher.

05Side.jpg

Here you see the truck on the right side. The large spout on the roof really makes it a remarkable truck.

08Shelves.jpg

As you can see, behind the red door, there is space for the airtank of our brave firemen, at the right there is also place for the small hand held extinguisher. The left side of the truck has a water hose instead.

07Men.jpg

For a truck from 1991 there is quite some room inside. Actually both firemen fit inside. Unfortunately there is only one seat.

09Back.jpg

At the back there are two clips for the axes. There you can also find the main switch for the light and sound system.

10Flashing.jpg

As you can see, the red flashing lights, do their job quite well. The sirene is just behind the bar with the flashing lights. The main spout just seems to begin emitting water.

11Front.jpg

The front of the truck. For some reason there are two hidden spouts there as well. What their purpose is seems unclear but they look nice.

KimT suggests that it is for foaming the runway and that is a real option of course.

This set can be found on:

Peeron

Lugnet

Brickset

Bricklink entries

Playability: 8/10 (Very nice set, details that are movable and of course the light and sound)

Design: 8/10 (nice sets with nice details, but could have even been better: seat for 2nd fireman missing, no oxigen masks and only one airtank)

Price: 7/10 (For a light and sound set and two firefighters, the price is reasonable I would say.)

Overall: 8/10 (nice sets, some details could even be better, too bad that there is only a five to choose from a sticker when you have more than one truck)

12Overview.jpg

Last but not least an overview of the complete set including instructions. "Fire mastered" as the Dutch firefighters will say when they have completed their job.

We have also bought the newer airport rescue truck (7891). However we think this 6440 one is much better. The light and sound, all the nice features and the nice details are much better than the new truck.

Edited by JopieK

I owned it and loved it when I was young ^^ I really miss it.

A very robust set. The fact that it seats two figs plus has L&S makes it a unique set. I definitely liked the big airport subtheme TLG created in the early 1990s.

JopieK, I enjoyed this review very much! Your first picture, certainly capture the essence of this lovely set. In reality, I am in the Aviation line, especially aviation safety. Therefore, you re-entact the scene very well. To be honest, I have never seen this set before. This AES (Airport Emergency Service) Fire Truck is certainly unbelievable. I love it very much. It's a pity I never owned this. This is a set which give me a "5". :thumbup:

Great job JopieK. I enjoyed viewing your classic town reviews very much. Keep up the good work!

JopieK, I enjoyed this review very much! Your first picture, certainly capture the essence of this lovely set. In reality, I am in the Aviation line, especially aviation safety. Therefore, you re-entact the scene very well. To be honest, I have never seen this set before. This AES (Airport Emergency Service) Fire Truck is certainly unbelievable. I love it very much. It's a pity I never owned this. This is a set which give me a "5". :thumbup:

Thanks of course for the flattery but, do you then from your profession understand what the purpose is of the front 'spouts' that even can be hide, since that puzzles me. It can be that the LEGO designers thought it was a nice touch and didn't bothered about the realistic value of such a feature but I don't suppose that that is the case here.

Perfect :thumbup:

Perhaps the front sprouses are for foaming the runway?

You've certainly kept that set in near mint condition, haven't you?

Now all we can wish for is a new firetruck combining this L&S version and the new

I remember my cousins having this set. Both are in their permanent dark ages now but are not willing to give their Lego to me :hmpf_bad:

If you have one of those old airports, then this set is what you need to have even more fun since it makes a great addition to the airport. Excellent review! 10/10.

Thanks of course for the flattery but, do you then from your profession understand what the purpose is of the front 'spouts' that even can be hide, since that puzzles me. It can be that the LEGO designers thought it was a nice touch and didn't bothered about the realistic value of such a feature but I don't suppose that that is the case here.

Somehow, I had just noticed your reply. :blush: To be honest with you, the AES in my country does not have front spouts in their fire engine. I do not remember seeing this feature before. It is a possibility that this feature is included in some models or an imaginative addition from our LEGO designers. I will need to check this out.

Perhaps the front sprouses are for foaming the runway?

That is a logical answer. :tongue: