Release: 2008

Minifigs: 3

Pieces: 482

Price: AUD: $99

Peeron

Brickshelf

The Box

rougeshadow1yo1.jpg

The Rogue Shadow is the main protagonist's ship in the upcoming 'Star Wars - The Force Unleashed' video game coming for pretty much every system this winter. I've been keeping a close eye on this game and it's piqued my interest, i was a real big fan of the Jedi Knight (Dark Forces) games and this one looks to be a similar kind of game. Anyway, i saw this at the shop and had to buy it, its one of the coolest looking ships I've seen in the extended universe.

Mini-Figures

rougeshadow6in7.jpg

Included are Battle Damaged Darth Vader, Juno Eclipse, and Darth Vader's apprentice (He is called 'Darth Vader's Apprentice' on the box, as at the time this set was made, his real name of Galen Marek was unkown). All 3 figures are unique to this set, and they look quite good. I'm a bit disappointed with Galen's hairstyle, however, i wish they gave him a specialized one instead of the generic black hair, as it looks very different to his in-game hair. Vader's battle damaged helmet is actually just the front part of a black scuba helmet:

rougeshadow2ek9.jpg

In addition to this, Vader's classic helmet and a captain's cap for Juno are also included, and they look like this:

rougeshadow3zu8.jpg

The Ship

Flight Mode

rougeshadow4xi8.jpg

rougeshadow5pt3.jpg

The ship itself is very cool, it looks very like the ship in the game (at least from the pictures/videos i have seen), and is made to look very sleek and shiny. The ship can be toggled between a flight mode and a landing mode, landing mode turns the wing-tips up and lowers the landing gear, like this:

rougeshadow7yv8.jpg

Here's a view from the back

rougeshadow8zr9.jpg

The landing mode is a cool little addition, it gives the ship a kind of harrier jet feel, as when the engine is turned upward it gives the ship a hover effect (one would assume)

Extras

On the smaller side 'spire' there is a compartment that opens up to reveal a small weapon's stash:

rougeshadowgunlockerhl0.jpg

Which seems a bit unnecessary, as i doubt Galen would have to use blasters, they might just be there for Juno, or he may use them in the game, i am yet to find out. Not like I'm complaining about free blasters (If nothing else, i can use them to replace the awful megaphones my G1 stormtroopers have)

On that same spire, further up, there is a missile compartment:

rougeshadowmisslesmc5.jpg

The missiles are removable, but don't have any kind of firing mechanism.

The larger spire houses the coolest feature of the ship, a big lego technic cannon. There is a little lever on the side that lets you raise the cannon, and it automatically fires when you reach a certain height:

rougeshadowcoolgunsi5.jpg

Lastly, the cockpit can open up to fit Juno (and ONLY Juno, there is no room for anyone else) inside:

rougeshadowcockpitkq3.jpg

Overall

Variety of pieces:9/10 - Has a lot of flat pieces, a lot of good long technic pieces, as well as some cool unique pieces, like the round windscreen and the engine housing

Playability:9/10 - It would be nice if there was room inside the ship for at least another person (like there is in the video game). Otherwise, it's very fun to swoosh around and play with the guns and the two engine modes

Build: 9/10 - It is built in several different parts that are then clicked together with the usual technic joiners. Instructions are easy to follow.

Construction: 7/10 - The landing gear breaks off VERY often. The doors that open to the various weapon compartments are also fairly flimsy and prone to breaking off.

Minifigs: 9/10 - Three figures that are completely unique. Only downside is Galen's hair.

Price: 7/10 - I got it on sale for $70 AUD, but i probably would not pay $99, as the set is not as 'famous' as others.

Overall: 50/60

Conclusion:

I've always been a big fan of Lucasarts video games, and it is nice to see a good Lego tie in to their latest effort. If the game is half as good as this Lego set is, it's a guaranteed winner :P

EDIT: Sorry i don't know how to make this a poll

Edited by KimT
indexed and poll added

Thanks for this fine review.

I've added it to the index and as for the poll, I've added it for you.

You need to be a member for a while and post a certain amount of times before being able to add a poll to a topic.

Top of my list. I want this because of the game. This set has only one flaw in my opinion: how only one person fits in the cockpit, in the videos it is clearly a two-seater. I'll just mod it so Galen can sit as well. Overall, good review, I only wish there were more TFU sets next year.

TNR

Top of my list. I want this because of the game. This set has only one flaw in my opinion: how only one person fits in the cockpit, in the videos it is clearly a two-seater. I'll just mod it so Galen can sit as well. Overall, good review, I only wish there were more TFU sets next year.

TNR

Be sure to post a pic when u make that mod, i'd like to replicate it myself :P

I gave this an Average rating.

The design doesn't really "do it" for me. And I really don't care for the Expanded Universe.

An annoying set with some usefull parts - hence the average rating.

I quite like this ship. I'm a fan of the original trilogy, but the ships aren't so exciting anymore, I've seen them too much I guess. This ship is a new design, and I like the asymmetrical style more than the standard symmetrical style (which is why the Millennium Falcon is cooler than most other SW ships). Also, the all black is really sleek. In the video game, it's much more gray, so IMO the Lego ship looks better than the actual one in the game :classic:

I built this the day I bought it, and it seemed a little flimsy, but I actually missed a step or two, and the second time it came out quite stable. I have to pick which ships will stay on display in my room, and this one has stayed.

Nice review :thumbup: . I don't really like the expanded universe stuff either. I gave it above average purely because of the exclusive figs but the DV helmet was sort of disappointing.

Good job! I've heard numerous complaints about how the wings fall off. For me, the set really isn't anything special. I wasn't a huge fan of the game (it had limitless potential but alas) and the Shadow looks kind of, well, weird. I won't be in any rush to buy this set but thanks for the pics and good review!

I've played through the whole game, and don't remember a battle-damaged Darth Vader :pir-vader: But I only did the 'light side" ending.

I've played through the whole game, and don't remember a battle-damaged Darth Vader :pir-vader: But I only did the 'light side" ending.

On the last level instead of saving the general you can jump off the ledge to where darth vader is and he will be battle damaged.

I have too complaints about the ship.

1. They didn't include a cape for darth vader like he had in the game (when he was damage his cape tore).

2. The ship feels rather blocky too me, but that's just me.

It was a good buy all in all :classic: