cartoondude

Power Miners: New Sets for 2009

There's not SO much juniorization going on that I hate them. not even close.

I agree. It's just that the sets look big - there aren't too many unnecessarily large pieces (I prefer that term to 'juniorisation'). I like them anyway. :sweet:

Y'know... I never really looked at that helmet up close like that. Must. Have.

I rather like the "Space" aspect of having that in blue. Something for the Lego astronauts to wear in pressurized environments.

Yep, I like that helmet, and in blue it looks gooood. I don't mind the minifigs' colour scheme, I don't think it clashes with their vehicles...

:skull:

I don't think there's a lot of fun to be had in all this bitching either.

I never said that you or anybody else isn't supposed to give their opinions. All I am saying is that your opinion would possibly become more nuanced if you take a look at those sets and see what it is that LEGO is trying to do. I'm convinced that many 7-12 year old will actually like these, which means that LEGO is actually doing a pretty good job. You are taking your supposed logic too far, completely ignoring the fact that LEGO seem to making plenty of sets that are aimed at an older audience and that there's a lot more to discuss when it comes to LEGO than just sets alone.

Cheers,

Ralph

I guess I don't view the conversation here as "bitching." I've read all of the comments in this thread, both positive and negative. Everyone has been respectful and polite with their comments. I haven't read anything that says, "You're an idiot if you like these!" or anything to that effect. It's just been a big, rambling conversation discussing brand new Lego sets. Yeah, to me, that's fun. That's why I come to EB. I love reading everyone's opinions, and throwing my own opinion (as un-nuanced as it may be) into the fray.

What typically happens when someone says anything negative about an upcoming Lego set is one of the following two responses:

1) They're designed for kids, not AFOLs, so shut up

2) They're just parts anyway; mod them into whatever you want, and shut up

Both of those arguments are, of course, factually correct, but all they do is serve to cut off all debate and silence any critcism because there's really no response to them. TLC is not above critcism, either in their set designs or their business practices. Like any big company, they do some dumb things and some smart things. As fans and consumers, we're well within our rights to bust their chops when they do something we don't like. I don't like the Power Miners. I'm not going to buy them. But I certainly don't begrudge anyone who does like them.

The new pictures have made me change my mind, I might try out this theme. I still want giant rock golems, and awesome looking caves though.

(...)

Looking at them from that perspective, they're actually pretty good. Some sets have useful parts, some sets don't. The themes that I do like, because they tie into what I normally build, are city sets and creator and LEGO's been doing excellent work on those IMO. The rest, castle, Pirates, Bat man, Star wars, are pretty much all the same to me.

There´re many ways to look at that matter indeed. Sometimes I buy a set just for some interesting parts, and sometimes just because

I like the whole theme. TLC did, for me, a fantastic job lately to give us sets that (IMHO) look very appealing to kids and AFOLs as well.

Next year, especially with Pirates, looks promising too. However, PowerMiners don´t do that job for me right now.

It seems like TLC wants to offer these sets at a lower price point by using a lot of pretty big parts. Anyway, it´s nothing wrong with

a manifold product range and different sales strategies, and my wallet´s already grateful for that.

I guess I don't view the conversation here as "bitching." I've read all of the comments in this thread, both positive and negative. Everyone has been respectful and polite with their comments. I haven't read anything that says, "You're an idiot if you like these!" or anything to that effect.

Although I slightly prefer more comprehensive critiques I do think that even simple one-liners´re fine too. As long as people won´t

start to grumble about other persons opinions I sense no problems at all too.

Viva la Difference! :grin:

Nice new shiny pictures. Okay, so they were posted a few days ago, but never mind.

I have to say, I'm still in the relative minority that sees something good in this. Most of the designs (the mech with the strange hips and the slgithly weird bike don't really count) are pretty neat, and with a little MODing, a challenge that I relish, they could be really good. The rock monster things look pretty cool, and lime green is a cool colour anyway, so it's nice to get more. The figs look quite neat, and I notice that each vehicle has its own number.

The new wheels look interesting as well, I'm sure I can think of something interesting to do with those. The fact that the creatures look to be different colours is fantastic, a real attention to detail. So yeah, it's a bit of a silly over-the-top theme, but I think there's something in it.

I have to say, I'm still in the relative minority that sees something good in this.

So far it's me, you and The Rancor who like the Power Miners and have said more than a couple of sentences about that (I think), and a few other people who said they like them too... :blush: Most of the comments are negative, about 'juniorisation'.

So yeah, it's a bit of a silly over-the-top theme, but I think there's something in it.

Like Batman? :tongue:

Edited by Shoc

I have to say, I'm still in the relative minority that sees something good in this.

I reserve judgment for now, but that is a lot of lime.

...and I notice that each vehicle has its own number.

Thunderbirds are go!

The new wheels look interesting as well, I'm sure I can think of something interesting to do with those.

They have the potential to add to the spaceship engine palette a bit on the MOC front.

So far it's me, you and The Rancor who like the Power Miners and have said more than a couple of sentences about that (I think), and a few other people who said they like them too... :blush: Most of the comments are negative, about 'juniorisation'.

Like Batman? :tongue:

You forgot me, i love these sets! :tongue:

You forgot me, i love these sets! :tongue:

Oh yes, you, Oky Wan Kenobi, Ralph S... And there are other people who have said just a few words on this. I think the general view in this thread is that people aren't keen on the sets, with the exception of us few. Maybe when the sets come out they'll be appreciated more, maybe not. :wink:

Edited by Shoc

I guess I don't view the conversation here as "bitching." I've read all of the comments in this thread, both positive and negative. Everyone has been respectful and polite with their comments. I haven't read anything that says, "You're an idiot if you like these!" or anything to that effect. It's just been a big, rambling conversation discussing brand new Lego sets. Yeah, to me, that's fun. That's why I come to EB. I love reading everyone's opinions, and throwing my own opinion (as un-nuanced as it may be) into the fray.

What typically happens when someone says anything negative about an upcoming Lego set is one of the following two responses:

1) They're designed for kids, not AFOLs, so shut up

2) They're just parts anyway; mod them into whatever you want, and shut up

Both of those arguments are, of course, factually correct, but all they do is serve to cut off all debate and silence any critcism because there's really no response to them. TLC is not above critcism, either in their set designs or their business practices. Like any big company, they do some dumb things and some smart things. As fans and consumers, we're well within our rights to bust their chops when they do something we don't like. I don't like the Power Miners. I'm not going to buy them. But I certainly don't begrudge anyone who does like them.

You seem to take my point of view and turn it into something extreme. I resent that. I've never told anybody to shut up -just to take those things into account in forming your opinion. I have never said that Lego is above criticism. They do some dumb things, such as the whole grey/bley fiasco, for instance.

I think people have been respectful of each other in this thread, but not very respectful of a company that seems to have really opened up to the opinion of AFOLs or the designers of these sets. I understand that you don't like lime green and orange, but that doesn't mean they haven't thought about it. Just because you don't like it (not being part of the group the set is aimed at) doesn't mean LEGO is being dumb. Of course you can argue about personal taste, although just like discussing whether you like cauliflower or sprouts, there's really no point. I'm done with this.

Ralph

Too many big, specialized pieces and the monsters look kinda lame... I wish they would made a base set and not just vehicles.

I'm still kind of split on these. On one hand, pretty much anything underground is cool for me. On the other, I'm really not digging the colors...

I really do like the big drill machine though!

I should also say that the monsters look a lot better than I expected.

About the story with the monsters: I really like it! I love how it's not about killing the monsters but saving them. It reminds me a lot of the Mimiga from Cave Story. The whole drug and turning into monster thing I mean.

Woah! I just realized it's even underground too! Those are some crazy parallels between Power Miners and Cave Story. Cool!

Edited by Klonoa

You seem to take my point of view and turn it into something extreme. I resent that. I've never told anybody to shut up -just to take those things into account in forming your opinion. I have never said that Lego is above criticism. They do some dumb things, such as the whole grey/bley fiasco, for instance.

I think people have been respectful of each other in this thread, but not very respectful of a company that seems to have really opened up to the opinion of AFOLs or the designers of these sets. I understand that you don't like lime green and orange, but that doesn't mean they haven't thought about it. Just because you don't like it (not being part of the group the set is aimed at) doesn't mean LEGO is being dumb. Of course you can argue about personal taste, although just like discussing whether you like cauliflower or sprouts, there's really no point. I'm done with this.

Ralph

Dude, I wasn't trying to pick a fight! If I misrepresented or misinterpreted your point, I sincerely apologize for that. I was just trying to have a friendly debate. Sorry if I caused any hard feelings!!

And I whole-heartedly agree that the grey/bley fiasco was a colossally dumb thing to do! :classic:

Dude, I wasn't trying to pick a fight! If I misrepresented or misinterpreted your point, I sincerely apologize for that. I was just trying to have a friendly debate. Sorry if I caused any hard feelings!!

And I whole-heartedly agree that the grey/bley fiasco was a colossally dumb thing to do! :classic:

No problem. Forget about it.

Cheers,

Ralph

Thunderbirds are go!

(With the Thunder Drill being The Mole :grin: )

Let's think about new molds:

1. Pretty obvious, the monsters!

2. The cockpit 'rollcage' piece used in all the sets but 2

3. The mech's left hand weapon (I think. No, I'n not taking about the circular saw)

4. Some of the cutting pieces on the arms of the medium sized vehicle (8959)

5. The massive wheels on the cutting vehicle and the Thunder Drill.

6. The large round orange pieces in the massive crystal excavator and behinf the 'Thunder's' Drill.

7. The casing around the drill on the Thunder Drill

8. The small drilling piece itself (still not as good as the chrome Rock Raiders piece, but chroming's now too expensive.

9. A new type of caterpillar tracks on the massive excavation vehicle.

And some 'Resused after a long time or just very rare pieces':

1. The miner's helmets

2. A rock carrying skip

3. The SWEET crystals (now in orange as well)

4. The digger bucket piece in the medium sized cutter.

5. The new dirtbike mold

6. The good ol' 2 piece boulder mold.

Uhhh,they make me sick and is it me or are the drivers useing mars mission bodies because if they are ther will be some explaining to do. :alien:

But the rock things are cool but gives me no reason to buy them, i expected more from this range of sets. :cry_sad:

Ooh pick me! I really like this sets. Also the fluro red and green look sweet, mayby the figs arnt AS nice as I would like them but besides that this theme is on my to buy list :thumbup:

After looking at the pics again and with a positive mind I end with another conclusion :laugh: : The sets aren´t what I expect but they are not that bad. The sets in general look... well a bit <insert that tiresome argument> (I just can´t change that thing in my head :tongue: ) but the biggest set looks kinda well designed. The cockpit looks good and the rock monsters are... not that great :grin: , but overall I think I will pick up the smallest one just to give the theme a chance :grin: .

Ooh pick me!

I should never have made that 'list' now. :tongue:

fluro red

It's plain orange isn't it? It looked red in the first pictures but I don't think it is.

I should never have made that 'list' now. :tongue:

haha so am I on it :tongue:

It's plain orange isn't it? It looked red in the first pictures but I don't think it is.

Hmm to me it looks redish, I hope it is :sceptic: