cartoondude

Power Miners: New Sets for 2009

Check this brickshelf folder here

for a couple of pics of 8709.

Oky was right you did post that in like every forum. :hmpf: I seen that file about 3 times so just quit it!

Some neat stuff, however it no longer takes 2-2.5 years to make new sets. LEGO can now make sets within half that time.

Where did you gain this wisdom??? These pictures were originally posted by Barman on the Lowlug.nl forum who went on one of the recent Inside Lego tours in Billund earlier this month. So I think he knows what he's talking about.

By the way, I believe the 2 - 2.5 years is actually referring to 'inventing' a completely new theme (including market research) and working out the sets and new pieces that should go with these sets. I guess that within existing themes like town or Star Wars, development time for a set probably is a little shorter.

One of these white Crystal King heads with horns would make a perfect Wampa head (Without the spike of course.)

Edited by YG-49

Where did you gain this wisdom??? These pictures were originally posted by Barman on the Lowlug.nl forum who went on one of the recent Inside Lego tours in Billund earlier this month. So I think he knows what he's talking about.

By the way, I believe the 2 - 2.5 years is actually referring to 'inventing' a completely new theme (including market research) and working out the sets and new pieces that should go with these sets. I guess that within existing themes like town or Star Wars, development time for a set probably is a little shorter.

LEGO has done several interviews talking about saving money, and one of the more important ways they did that was to cut back on development time for new themes. It saves money several ways, and they had to do it because kids change their minds on what they want quicker today than ever before. This way less themes fail.

LEGO has done several interviews talking about saving money, and one of the more important ways they did that was to cut back on development time for new themes. It saves money several ways, and they had to do it because kids change their minds on what they want quicker today than ever before. This way less themes fail.

Oh OK... I didn't know that, but I can imagine it to be true. I guess it does cost too much to spend 2 to 2,5 year developing themes which nowadays only seem to last 2 years max anyhow. Sorry for coming on a bit strong.

don't know if it has been mentioned already but

i went to tru in las vegas, nv to get squidman's escape and saw both the command rig and underground mining station (sorry no pics of boxes and such)

the boxes are basically the same size didn't look for the other yet to be released power miner sets

don't know if it has been mentioned already but

i went to tru in las vegas, nv to get squidman's escape and saw both the command rig and underground mining station (sorry no pics of boxes and such)

the boxes are basically the same size didn't look for the other yet to be released power miner sets

On Friday I went to my local Toysrus and bought the Crystal King ($25) , Rock Wrecker ($35) and Underground mining station ($80 US)

I'll try to put pics on brickshelf soon but it's not working at the moment :( (My First Post!)

I'm sure that by this point everyone has seen enough pictures of the 8709 Underground Mining Station, but for those still interested I found this official picture of the box on the TRU website:

lego_pm.jpg

Here is a link to 8709 on the TRU website :classic:

That mining station looks very empty and bare. Definitely not worth $80 IMO...

Edited by darthperson

I don't know if this has been posted yet (because I hardly ever come to the power miners area :laugh: ) but has anyone seen this? pm_movie.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's fake, but it is kind of funny.

Lego wouldn't tell us about that far head but it's pretty cool

Well I did read on the bios for the power miners and for doc here's one of the sentences "but nothing can perpare him for the mysteries of the portal and what lies beyond"

So maybe they will go through a portal into a rock monster planet. :wink:

Edit here's some mining station pictures it took. Sorry i haven't finished uploading them all

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=392051

Edited by doctordark

Thanks for the pictures of the Underground Mining Station docterdark! :classic:

It looks pretty cool. I've been waiting to see close-up pictures of this set since it was first announced. :cry_happy:

It looks like there are hardly any stickers and all the control pieces are printed. :wub:

Still, it doesn't look like it is worth $80, but it does look pretty good.

I agree, the set's not worth 80 bucks, but it looks good. Some nice detail, a decent amount of acessories (for the Power Miners line, anyway), and some good functions. It's not perfect, but at least it's not rubbish like the Crystal King and the Rock Wrecker. :tongue:

I only wish there was an exclusive giant Rock Monster with a new color. Come on TLC, how hard would it have been to put in a little something exclusive in this exclusive set? Even if it costed extra money, it would be worth it, as kids would be especially attracted to the set by the promise of a cool new figure. I'm afraid that without something really cool to set this set apart, it's just another good Power Miners set without any especially unique elements. :thumbdown:

So, let me get this straight: You mine the crystals at the bottom of the control tower, then carry them up to the tower, put them into the container, and pull it up to the large tower, just to have them automatically dumped into a chute where they come back out at the bottom? :wacko: That makes even less sense than the Dwarves Mine! :laugh:

Overall, this set is a quite a letdown to me. The Rock Raiders HQ at least had lasers and stuff. This is just pointless. :sadnew:

I wish they had made a Large firox with this set i would have payed $100 for that :sweet:

What would've been worth $100 about a large firox? :sceptic:

And what I meant is: What is so special about a large firox that would make you pay that much more for an already overpriced set?

I don't think I'm late, or at least according to brickset. 8709, the grand mining station is now available on Shop@Home. Here's a link and a pretty picture for your trouble. :tongue:

Link

8709-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

Go buy it now, post a review, and make a funny remark about the box of carrots in the corner!